smohqy
2111 posts Member
nicely put! :)

Replies

• smohqy
    2111 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    nicely put! :)

Thanks! I just feel there are better ways to go out than with anger. Save that for direct communication with EA; we're a close-knit community here, and sweet is better than bitter...

...unless you're a pale ale, that is. :)

Cheers!
  • jraffa50
    559 posts
    edited December 2014
    When people are ranting about quitting I don't really think they are that concerned about their neighbors. They want some attention and want vent about the parts of the game they are angry about. I'm not sure that telling someone how to construct an "I quit" letter that focuses on their neighbors is relevant.

I do, however, agree with you about trying to stay rational about things, as that is a better way to make a point and have people actually listen to you.
  • Roccaine
    457 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    After playing the game for over 2 years I've never really quitted, but I've just taken breaks now and then. Usually when there's no event going on. Its normal if your burned out, but I don't think people should fully blame the game for it. No game can keep you forever eventually, I got that with WoW where it took 9 years for me to get burned out.
  • Deadshot_DCU
    6387 posts Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Very well said. I couldn't have said it better myself
  • tommy1724
    1969 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Smohqy, thank you for the reasoned and civilized suggestions. I'm sitting in front of my tree, listening to the Chieftan's beautiful Christmas album, and this post fit the mood.
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    @Roccaine: Heck, the average MARRIAGE only lasts 8.5 years. WoW must have been fun for you. :)

OP I do agree that it is useful to see "to neighbors of (name)" Many of us are actually forming online friendships, and the thought of sending dozens of PMs -- since they need to be sent one-by-one -- is absurd. To have someone just drop off the map is unsettling. (Especially a regular player who seems frequently redesigning and tweaking their town)

Your post covers many good points, but that one stood out most for me.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • smohqy
    2111 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    jraffa50 wrote:
    I'm not sure that telling someone how to construct an "I quit" letter that focuses on their neighbors is relevant.

I'm not telling anyone how. As I said, these are just some ideas. I understand the need to vent, but after reading some threads filled with such anger and vitriol, I just thought I'd throw out some more peaceful and constructive ways to go about it here, as on a whole, this is a very friendly forum. I've always been a peacekeeper, so I wasn't trying to dictate how to quit, just kindly suggesting ideas to this community. Also, I value and respect my Neighborinos, so quitting does affect them in some ways. I'd consider that relevant.
    Roccaine wrote:
    After playing the game for over 2 years I've never really quitted, but I've just taken breaks now and then. Usually when there's no event going on. Its normal if your burned out, but I don't think people should fully blame the game for it. No game can keep you forever eventually, I got that with WoW where it took 9 years for me to get burned out.

After nearly 19 years, I'm still in love with the original Quake game. Thus my nick, taken from the main menu:

Single player
    Multiplayer
    Options
    Help
    Quit

The 'y' was added because somebody already had the nick SMoHQ in origin. I know, an odd game for a peaceful person, but virtual fragging is better than therapy. :)

Anyweigh, these were just some thoughts I had after reading a couple more quitting threads. No more, no less.
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited December 2014
    Ok firstly this is my first post in a while. :roll:

My interest in the game has really dwindled over the past 6 months and I keep telling myself 'one more event'.

I'm not getting all high and mighty but when I do go I'll find a way of letting the forum regulars who recognise my avatar and are neighbours know. I'm not going to flame the game as it must have done something to keep me for over 2 years, but I will state my reasons

Bah. I'll see out Christmas though.

• TT_Degnan
    471 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    mpwarner wrote:

My interest in the game has really dwindled over the past 6 months and I keep telling myself 'one more event'.

I'm not getting all high and mighty but when I do go I'll find a way of letting the forum regulars who recognise my avatar and are neighbours know. I'm not going to flame the game as it must have done something to keep me for over 2 years, but I will state my reasons

:)
    Long time no see!

OP, some nice thoughts there :)
  • smohqy
    2111 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks guys. I love this place.

Also, one of my favorite words is Serendipity. Second only to Mellifluous.

Well, serendipitously, right after adding my Quake comment, I went into my SF, and immediately scored Bonestorm Santa with his rocket launcher!

Serendipity.
  • Igcognita
    1500 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    mpwarner wrote:

I think you should state why your leaving.
    I disagree with the OP for one simple fact, people should be allowed to state their opinions about the game on this forum, as they choose. Both good and bad. If you don't like "I quit threads", then don't read threads that clearly have "I quit" in the title. There's a lot of threads I'm not into so I just skip them. Trying to make the community conform to things that only effect a small amount of people can never be good. I quit threads don't bother me, and they really shouldn't bother you either, but if they do, don't read them.
  • jraffa50
    559 posts
    edited December 2014
    smohqy wrote:
    jraffa50 wrote:
    I'm not sure that telling someone how to construct an "I quit" letter that focuses on their neighbors is relevant.

I'm not telling anyone how. As I said, these are just some ideas. I understand the need to vent, but after reading some threads filled with such anger and vitriol, I just thought I'd throw out some more peaceful and constructive ways to go about it here, as on a whole, this is a very friendly forum. I've always been a peacekeeper, so I wasn't trying to dictate how to quit, just kindly suggesting ideas to this community. Also, I value and respect my Neighborinos, so quitting does affect them in some ways. I'd consider that relevant.

I know you would consider that relevant, but for most of the ranting "I quit" threads I've read, I doubt they do. I think that's the missing point here....the motivation behind those posting things like that. They aren't calmly letting people know they are no longer playing. They are angry and venting.
  • Igcognita
    1500 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    jraffa50 wrote:
    smohqy wrote:
    jraffa50 wrote:

I know you would consider that relevant, but for most of the ranting "I quit" threads I've read, I doubt they do. I think that's the missing point here....the motivation behind those posting things like that. They aren't calmly letting people know they are no longer playing. They are angry and venting.

Yes, exactly. I don't think I'll be angry when I finally give up on the game, since I've already accepted the glorys days might be over, but I can understand why so many are frustrated and disappointed their beloved game has let them down. As long as they are not disrespectful, then let them have their say.
  • barryriddl474
    4855 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    smohqy wrote:
    I understand the frustration. I've been playing for just under a year, and I can imagine what may happen in a year or two of more tapping out. But here's some ideas:

Title the thread "To the Neighbors of <yournamehere>, I am leaving TSTO", rather than "THAT'S IT I QUIT!!!!!" - This will let your faithful Friends know that they can free up a slot, or even try to talk you out of it by reminding you of good times, community, whatever.

Voice your reasons, but try not to be overly angry and confrontational about it. - This will lend your concerns more credence, and also reduce the snark and derision that usually follows (one of my favorites is "don't let the internet hit you on the **** on your way out). And if EA does actually read it, they might take your reasons as more than just some angry internet nerd bashing their game. We want them to listen to our problems, not dismiss them due to 'KEYBOARD FLAME WARRIOR' attitude.

Say goodbye to your Neighbors who have watched your town grow over time, just as you have watched theirs.

And finally, I'm not sure if there's a difference between uninstalling and deleting, but if there is, don't delete your game. What might feel like a permanent decision now, may not in the future. You might miss us in time, and we'd welcome you back with open Springfields.

In other words, leave if you must, you will be missed. But leave gently and peacefully. If you have a deep-rooted hatred for the game, contact EA and by all means, let them have it. But we're a community here. We're your Friends. Take care, and may the fresh air and sunshine be a beautiful change of pace for you.

Peace, Love and Light,

smohqy

So beautifully said. I wish your post could be stickied.

2ppd4k3.gif
  • smohqy
    2111 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    jraffa50 wrote:

Understood. And I enjoy drama-filled threads as much as the next person (read: Josh) It's just that some people care about their Neighborinos, just like some will delete them after a few days of inactivity or only care about them during events. I'm of the former.

To each their own, there's no rules to playing as far as Friends go. I didn't start this thread to debate or argue (which I find myself doing, I apologize), and especially not to tell people what to do. Just trying to offer calm food for thought.

Peace, everypeople*

*my daughter's word :)
  • BlakeC02309
    96 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • k8rk8rk8r
    131 posts
    edited December 2014
    You've been my favorite neighbor since I found your pumpkin and saw pictures of your Man, but this seals the deal.

You're one cool dude Smohq!
    :thumbup:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.