EA Forums - Banner

EA just refused my reimbursement request

Why Apple support? Unless you used an iTunes card it is EA's/ Origin's fault

Replies

• bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I am very surprised. I did not have this same exact issue. But last year, during the Gil Donut Sale at Christmas, actually, I had an issue as well. I purchased the 900 donuts (can't remember what that is now). But anyway, I was supposed to received the bonus donuts, like 200 or so I think. I did receive the 900 donuts, but not the additional 200. I emailed EA support and sent screen shots, like they requested to show this. I then provided my origin id and email and I was credited with the 200 donuts, plus some extra ones for my hassles. I was never referred to Apple support.

The only reason I could imagine they referred you to Apple support would be if you used a credit from you I tunes account to pay for this transaction. Like if you loaded up an Itunes gift card or something. And then when EA went to charge the Itunes account you provided, it showed up as a $0 balance? And so that would be why they sent you to Apple? But I am only guessing/speculating here. That just seems strange. I feel sorry for this hassle you have to deal with. Good luck, and please do post an update if you do not mind when you have any progress.
  • Annathewicked
    4714 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    If you want the donuts- contact EA again.... That's thier issue. If you want $$ back contact Apple or whomever you purchase through
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • dcacooper
    389 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    bradyc79 wrote:
    The only reason I could imagine they referred you to Apple support would be if you used a credit from you I tunes account to pay for this transaction. Like if you loaded up an Itunes gift card or something. And then when EA went to charge the Itunes account you provided, it showed up as a $0 balance? And so that would be why they sent you to Apple? But I am only guessing/speculating here. That just seems strange. I feel sorry for this hassle you have to deal with. Good luck, and please do post an update if you do not mind when you have any progress.

The reason is that you are effectively buying from Apple not EA. Apple handles the transaction and the payment, and passes on the funds to EA (eventually) less whatever their cut of the price is (more than you might imagine). That's why when you make an in-app purchase on iOS, you get a receipt for the money from Apple, not from the vendor of the app itself.

It essentially works the same in practice as a retail purchase, when you buy something from a store that is made by someone else. You go back to the store if there are problems with your purchase not direct to the manufacturer. Buy a duff boxed copy of Call of Duty in a gamestore and you take it back to the store for them to sort out, you don't go straight to the game developers.

Same with GooglePlay.

I don't know how the technology works from the appstores' ends, but as the financial transaction is handled by the appstore, I would assume that the donuts are added to your installation by the appstore and not by EA themselves, and then synchronised with the servers the next time your game synchronises, which would explain why the game crashing at the end of the transaction would mean no donuts ... the appstore thinks it has added them, but they have not yet been synchronised with EA's servers so when you open up your game again, they are not there.
  • furrykiltman
    661 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I recommend doing a phone call over live chat. My experience with the hospital glitch was frustrating & numerous before the glitch was resolved. A thread shared an amazing experience with a phone call. It shared a new center in Austin, TX has opened staffed with TSTO players. I will be doing phone calls from now on because it is more effect to talk, & doesn't allow for misinteruptation.

Edit: won't get your money back, will get your donuts (maybe more). Remember you get more flies with honey than vinegar.
  • bosmanad
    45 posts
    edited December 2014
    Support didn't understand your request.

They think you got NO donuts, which means the transaction didn't go through (Apple Problem). Not getting ENOUGH donuts is an EA problem.
  • jesusisadr734
    68 posts
    edited December 2014
    Good for you! Same thing happened to my friend. He's still waiting on a call so I hope his problem gets resolved too.
  • krae_man
    6 posts
    edited December 2014
    I used funds from a google play card to buy $20 worth and I didn't get the donuts either.

After waiting for like 90 minutes on chat it took them another hour to ask me for screens and a million other things and they added 325 for some reason(300+25 freebies for my trouble?) when I should have got 345. Now they said I have to email them again in 12 hours because they can only make changes to an account once every 12 hours?

So annoyed.
  • Pinkspaceangel
    343 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Was on chat for at least 45 minutes with them today. I purchased donuts yesterday and although I have a bill from apple, I did not get the donuts. After having sent them two screenshot of my bill, he finally told me that I will get my donuts. That was not an easy chat at all, and I am surprised because usually the advisors are nice and understanding. I am still waiting for my 345 donuts.
  • izabellatrix
    1612 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    It doesn't look like they refused it, it looks like they can't do it. When I needed a refund about a month ago, I contacted Google Play and they gave it to me.
    Joined: May 2014 • Level: 563 • Favourite Characters: Lisa & Ralph
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    dcacooper wrote:
    bradyc79 wrote:

The reason is that you are effectively buying from Apple not EA. Apple handles the transaction and the payment, and passes on the funds to EA (eventually) less whatever their cut of the price is (more than you might imagine). That's why when you make an in-app purchase on iOS, you get a receipt for the money from Apple, not from the vendor of the app itself.

it essentially works the same in practice as a retail purchase, when you buy something from a store that is made by someone else. You go back to the store if there are problems with your purchase not direct to the manufacturer. Buy a duff boxed copy of Call of Duty in a gamestore and you take it back to the store for them to sort out, you don't go straight to the game developers.

Same with GooglePlay.

I don't know how the technology works from the appstores' ends, but as the financial transaction is handled by the appstore, I would assume that the donuts are added to your installation by the appstore and not by EA themselves, and then synchronised with the servers the next time your game synchronises, which would explain why the game crashing at the end of the transaction would mean no donuts ... the appstore thinks it has added them, but they have not yet been synchronised with EA's servers so when you open up your game again, they are not there.

I disagree that it is comparable to retail. If I buy a copy of Call of Duty in a retail store, I hand the STORE(clerk) my money/credit card and the STORE(clerk) hands me the product. There is a legal assumption that he will hand me the box, and is not handing me an empty box. If I get it home, and it is blank, I take it back, and he gives me one that works, or gives me the money back. If I buy a downloadable copy of Adobe Photoshop, I transmit the money to the seller and the seller transmits the product to me.

What we have HERE is the equivalent of me wanting to buy a car from my brother, but giving money to my sister, and then hoping my brother and sister work things out so he will send me the car. I have possession of neither my money nor the car. If they can't complete their exchange successfully, I'm screwed.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • 00SauronHimself
    39 posts
    edited December 2014
    Customer service reps are more careful with their words on live chat because they still have time to think of what they want to say. If you want to increase the odds of winning, call them on the phone and tell the rep that you're recording the call. Watch how quickly you get good service.
  • Mirality
    251 posts
    edited December 2014
    The point is that you need to contact Apple to get a refund on the transaction. Don't forget to tell them that you didn't get the item you paid for due to a game crash and that EA customer service told you to ask for a refund.

You'll also need to buy the donuts again before the Gil deal expires if you want them. This might be before you get the refund.

Also note for next time that the game seems more stable if you visit KL or your neighbourhood first before returning to SF and doing anything else, including donut purchases.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • dcacooper
    389 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I disagree that it is comparable to retail. If I buy a copy of Call of Duty in a retail store, I hand the STORE(clerk) my money/credit card and the STORE(clerk) hands me the product. There is a legal assumption that he will hand me the box, and is not handing me an empty box. If I get it home, and it is blank, I take it back, and he gives me one that works, or gives me the money back. If I buy a downloadable copy of Adobe Photoshop, I transmit the money to the seller and the seller transmits the product to me.

What we have HERE is the equivalent of me wanting to buy a car from my brother, but giving money to my sister, and then hoping my brother and sister work things out so he will send me the car. I have possession of neither my money nor the car. If they can't complete their exchange successfully, I'm screwed.

No you are not screwed, and it works similar to how it does in retail (I did say it was essentially the same, not identical). You hand your money to Apple and receive your product (in this case donuts). I am not up on the mechanics of exactly how the product transfer works, but if you don't receive your donuts, you can go to Apple and they will refund your money just as a retailer would. I have had reason to do this in the past so I know it works. With Apple my purchase failed to unlock an app from its free version, and I decided not to bother, asked for refund and got it very quickly. I did the same with GooglePlay for a failed donut purchase in TSTO. Again, Google refunded very quickly and without question.

Apple and Google (and now Microsoft) insist on using this model precisely because it gives them control over the financial mechanism of app purchasing. They also take a hefty chunk of the price we pay before passing it on to the software developer.

If you want the donuts rather than a refund, that is where it strays from the retail model, because EA probably need to sort that out as the seller (Apple) cannot simply give you an exchange as they would for boxed software, for example.

All that said ... your final statement, that "If they can't complete their exchange successfully, I'm screwed." is simply wrong, as the appstore is always responsible for making a refund in the event of failed purchases.
  • bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I can understand the different points made by DACooper, love you name also, and Annette, as well. I guess we haven't had a repost from OP. I have never went to Apple for a refund like this, and perhaps it is very simple and they process the refund promptly.

Another point from this thread that I think is excellent is the advice to go to KL or visit a friend before making any transaction. I don't know why this glitch still exists, even with the Santa Tunnel tasks over, but it is still causing issues. I can't get any new tasks to begin before I go to KL and back. So I can also see where this may effect a donut purchase.
  • dcacooper
    389 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    bradyc79 wrote:
    I can understand the different points made by DACooper, love you name also, and Annette, as well. I guess we haven't had a repost from OP. I have never went to Apple for a refund like this, and perhaps it is very simple and they process the refund promptly.

Another point from this thread that I think is excellent is the advice to go to KL or visit a friend before making any transaction. I don't know why this glitch still exists, even with the Santa Tunnel tasks over, but it is still causing issues. I can't get any new tasks to begin before I go to KL and back. So I can also see where this may effect a donut purchase.

I had that problem towards the end of Phase 1 of the Winter event, but it appears to be working normally again now that I am well into Phase 2. Clearly there are some issues that synchonising your game with the servers solves, so the advice to always synchronise before making a purchase is very sensible.

As I don't appear to get nearly as many issues as some other players do, I wonder if some of it comes down to issues with older/less powerful devices, as the game has always worked like a dream on my iPad Air. I rarely have server connection issues (although I have experienced them this morning) and have had zero issues with purchase or with objects/characters disappearing after purchasing or winning them.

No idea whether that is the case, but it would explain why some players have a lot of issues and others don't.
  • ava111sk624
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I just bought boatload of donuts about hour ago and not received them. I waited thru server problems to confirm again that they are not there. The same thing happened on December 5th and I tried to resolve it in two chats two different times and still didn't get donuts (this was in my second town). I was just about to try to contact EA again but saw this chat so even though it doesn't make sense to me I will contact Amazon. I do have both receipts for both purchases in my account there confirming buying 900 on December 5th and today 2400 plus 720 donuts. I just don't know how to contact them, as for any item there is link to request returns except digital purchases. So even though I briefly looked into contacting Amazon last week wasn't successful finding the way. If anyone has advice how to find link that would be appreciated. I hope I didn't blow up my Christmas presents gift cards for nothing. Although buying digital towns seems exactly that anyway.
    Iveta
  • JcSnl
    274 posts
    edited December 2014
    @ava111sk624 Hi Iveta. Try this: log out of your town and log back in. Force close and restart is not enough. It might help. If not contact EA via help.ea.com
  • ava111sk624
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks JcSnl but I tried all that without help- both contacting EA and closing the app, sign in in and out numerous times plus all the other way to reset it. I did find finally how to get help from Amazon and got refund of Amazon coins for both purchase. So I go try to buy that boatload again, hopefully I won't have the same problem anytime soon. Just want to say that Amazon just needed invoice numbers and got the refund processed immediately so everyone who used Amazon coins should try to do this. And thanks to whoever adviced to use this method. I wasted all this time trying to resolve it with EA... Thanks!
    Iveta

• billdoors1533
    303 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I had this problem from Christmas Eve and not knowing how long it would take to resolve I just opted to have Google play refund me. I don't believe this or the other technical issues have been particular to any specified make or model of phone or tablet but has been across the board I have a month old fast tablet which runs the game well so I know the issues were game related rather than my hardware.
  • fluffling
    516 posts
    edited December 2014
    Did the money go out of your account?
    Contact Apple and get a refund, that's what I've done in the past
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.