EA Forums - Banner

What have you done with the Ski Lift?

Replies

• barryriddl474
    4831 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I would just like to say that all of you have some beautiful designs and ideas! There are several that especially blow me away. All I keep saying as I scroll through these is "WOW!"

Mine is bland, lol. I need to step up my game!
    Thanks to everyone for the inspiration! :D
  • Annathewicked
    4721 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I would just like to say that all of you have some beautiful designs and ideas! There are several that especially blow me away. All I keep saying as I scroll through these is "WOW!"

Mine is bland, lol. I need to step up my game!
    Thanks to everyone for the inspiration! :D

Lol, from what I've seen, can't imagine anything you have is bland!

PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • Annathewicked
    4721 posts Member
    edited December 2014
  • Annathewicked
    4721 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    doubled me post- edited out
  • lyndon928
    44 posts New member
    edited December 2014
    Work in progress. But here it is so far!
    bRfXDcFl.jpg
  • mmabr69
    138 posts
    edited December 2014
    AgPuHxSl.jpg
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    looks awesome!

A couple of tiny suggestions to tweak the 3D--feel free to disregard, as they may not be any good:

I think ice walls are hard to see in the snow. You did a good job of showing the elevation on the right side with the tree and the edge of the map. On the left, could try adding contrast along the gutter by using flowers, pumpkin patches, or pavement. Alternately, could replace the far left column of ice walls with cobblestone walls.

For the 3d ice walls on the right side of the SF sign, would try to conceal the defect with trees or something else tall. You might need to adjust the walls slightly to do it. Ideally, the left edge of the walls should not be visible; instead, it should look like they blend into the SF sign. You may also need to bring the SF sign right and downward. As a bonus, this will make everything look taller.

For SF Falls, could experiment with how the illusion looks if you move it 1 space toward the right, so that the right side is obscured by the ski lift and it is less noticeable that the waterfall is taller than the lake.

It is sometimes tricky to get chain fences to not overlap cobblestone walls. For the wall that is being overlapped, you could try shifting the alignment by moving each cobblestone piece by 1 space toward the bottom-right. If no luck, can try moving 1 space toward the top-right. If no luck or it looks off, can move each chain fence 1 space toward the top-right. If still no luck, would try concealing the flaw by placing a couple of trees just below the wall, where there is water currently.

Hope that helps--awesome work again!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Annathewicked
    4721 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:
    looks awesome!

A couple of tiny suggestions to tweak the 3D--feel free to disregard, as they may not be any good:

I think ice walls are hard to see in the snow. You did a good job of showing the elevation on the right side with the tree and the edge of the map. On the left, could try adding contrast along the gutter by using flowers, pumpkin patches, or pavement. Alternately, could replace the far left column of ice walls with cobblestone walls.

For the 3d ice walls on the right side of the SF sign, would try to conceal the defect with trees or something else tall. You might need to adjust the walls slightly to do it. Ideally, the left edge of the walls should not be visible; instead, it should look like they blend into the SF sign. You may also need to bring the SF sign right and downward. As a bonus, this will make everything look taller.

For SF Falls, could experiment with how the illusion looks if you move it 1 space toward the right, so that the right side is obscured by the ski lift and it is less noticeable that the waterfall is taller than the lake.

It is sometimes tricky to get chain fences to not overlap cobblestone walls. For the wall that is being overlapped, you could try shifting the alignment by moving each cobblestone piece by 1 space toward the bottom-right. If no luck, can try moving 1 space toward the top-right. If no luck or it looks off, can move each chain fence 1 space toward the top-right. If still no luck, would try concealing the flaw by placing a couple of trees just below the wall, where there is water currently.

Thanks for the advice, I was already working on some of the concealments you mentioned..... Will post an update later
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:
    looks awesome!

Thanks for the advice, I was already working on some of the concealments you mentioned..... Will post an update later

I really like how the volcano lair looks like it belongs on top of the Springfield sign... kind of like one big mountain. Really cool idea. I'd steal your idea if I could afford them both lol.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    oW7qp8y.jpg

I have my ski lift looking like it's coming out of the volcano. I would put the castle near the top and fix the 3d effect, but I need to move some stuff around first.
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    oW7qp8y.jpg

I have my ski lift looking like it's coming out of the volcano. I would put the castle near the top and fix the 3d effect, but I need to move some stuff around first.
    I like it! Having the castle there makes the ski lift look taller--like a snowy hill above the castle.

Wonder how it'd look if you moved the volcano forward 3-4 spaces, then rotated it. Just an idea -- might not be any good.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    M5LQCXi.jpg

I tried it out. I think it looks pretty good this way. Thanks. :)
  • simbass7
    1928 posts New member
    edited January 2015
    BBMg0xO.jpg
  • bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I really like all of the designs I have seen in this thread so far. I just purchased the Ice Palace tonight, and I already have the ski lift from a week or so ago. I came here looking for some ideas. One small regret I have is that I only purchased 21 ice walls before they were removed from the store. I wish I had purchased more, but oh well. I was only speculating on their usage when I purchased them.

Anyway, I wanted to mention a few things from some earlier posts:

Mopurglar, I love all of your town and design ideas, neighbor! I really like how you used the ski lift to connect the 3d areas, it looks amazing.

Thatdonald: I particularly liked how you used the cannon control building as a ski lift hut for the operator. I think it looks awesome, and haven't noticed where anyone else has commented on this or used it. I am looking at incorporating that into my design, credit to you. I was looking at other buildings for this purpose and had considered the two story outhouse or the fever cabin, but wasn't pleased with either. But the control building is perfect and looks designed for that. Great design usage!!

Annathewicked: I love you design as well, and although I do not own the Springfield Sign, I think it all goes together very well. I am looking at something similar, but only using the main decos I mentioned above. But I really like the changes you made, they look great!!

Anyway, thanks to all of the posts here. After I finish working on my ski lift design, I add a pic in another post.
  • bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Well, here is what I came up with for now. Major design credit goes to roshigoth1, I basically used your exact design, but placed it in the mountain corner and added the control building from thatdonald845's design. Credit to you both, thank you very much:

12q83v8.png?2
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I apologize for my pic being so large. I can't remember how I am supposed to resize it. Any help is appreciated, please PM me. Thanks again for all the posts on here!

Edit: Imgur gives me the small square and large thumbnail option (for free). Should I have used one of those other options instead of the original pic size?
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    brady, thanks man. i think yours looks great!

personally i think the size of the pic is fine.

but if you want to fit it for the forum (650 px width), it's easy to do on imgur. go to your images, click on this one, click options on the bottom right, click edit image. then on the top right you can pick a new size. pick 650 for the first proportion and make sure lock proportions is checked. then apply
  • bradyc79
    1379 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Mopurglar wrote:
    brady, thanks man. i think yours looks great!

personally i think the size of the pic is fine.

but if you want to fit it for the forum (650 px width), it's easy to do on imgur. go to your images, click on this one, click options on the bottom right, click edit image. then on the top right you can pick a new size. pick 650 for the first proportion and make sure lock proportions is checked. then apply

Thank you very much for the reply! I have edited the size of the image above and like that you can now see the entire image without scrolling. I appreciate the help.

Also, thanks for the compliment. I am trying to work on some other redesigns of my town, as I have time.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    bradyc79 wrote:
    Well, here is what I came up with for now. Major design credit goes to roshigoth1, I basically used your exact design, but placed it in the mountain corner and added the control building from thatdonald845's design. Credit to you both, thank you very much:

12q83v8.png?2

Very nice! I would have put mine by the mountains, but I couldn't find room for it there.
  • Arcane_Sky
    14 posts
    edited January 2015
    Just slapped my Ski Lift in between the Springfield Sign and King Winter's Cave...
    Like a Mini Ski Resort with the Ice Palace as the hotel... :lol:

29xx0lh.jpg
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.