EA Forums - Banner

No Female Superheroes

Replies

• LisaSimpsonOH
    465 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    And yes, I am a feminist. It's not a dirty word or an insult. It represents what many women have fought for - equality.
  • ebarber
    186 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Feminist = person who advocates or supports the rights and equality of women. It's that simple and I don't know why that label is being applied here, particularly in a negative tone, like it is something negative to be. Nor is this a PC issue, either. For me, it's an observation of how the event went.

I simply noted that there aren't any female/diverse characters released related to the Superhero event when there are a few to choose from.

When the Moog Moe or Elsa Martin is used instead of actually bringing in ANY other character skins that have been used in the Simpsons related to the Superhero genre is where I really just had to roll my eyes.

All in all though, the comic book genre isn't diverse and perhaps they are holding out Clobber Girl and stretchy boy for the next Halloween release, as they are from a Treehouse of Horror episode. But I really was hoping for Lisa just to show a little backbone, like her "accusatory rhetoric feminist tone" self usually is, turn into Clobber Girl and totally forget Fall Out Boy and Milhouse.
  • stinkbugger
    1983 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    The tone is accusatory because there isn't necessarily solid proof that EA intentionally omitted female superheros due to an "exclusionary mindset" versus there not just being many great ones to add

It's not all about intention.
  • johncolombo
    11594 posts Senior Moderator
    edited March 2015
    IMHO Lisa just needs a new skin with better visible tasks. The only one I like is walk the beam.
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • 00-marco_rosas
    656 posts
    edited March 2015
    Think of the history of this sort of thing for women. It's the 1960s or 70s. 50 kids are invited to a party, 25 girls and 25 boys, and they are asked to dress up as their favorite superhero. Sure, you'll have a few Batmans and Supermans and Spider-Mans, but there will be some Hulks and Aquamans and Robins and Iron Mans and Thors and such. And 25 Girls drsssed as Wonder Woman. Forty years later, and we can't even get one represented on this game.
    This logic is comparable, IMO, to men demanding more male Barbie dolls to be added and then no boys buying said Barbie dolls. I think there should be products/merchandise permitted to primarily target men akin to how there are products that primarily target women. (I'm not saying this logic applies to TSTO since there is a broader female audience for this game; but, it applies to comic books.)

Ultimately, I agree that women are warranted in their fight against gender discrepancies that have an impact on their livelihoods such as equal pay, access to education, etc. But when it comes to stuff such as videogames, entertainment, etc., many of the arguments come off as petty and they often meddle with a product others have enjoyed for a long time.

There are plenty of female oriented entertainment products (Pretty Little Liars, Hannah Montana, Divergent, etc.) so there is definitely room for something like a female comic book written by a women with primarily female protagonists if the demand exists. If there's one thing that is less biased against minorities it is corporations/businesses looking for opportunities to suck their wallets dry.
  • LisaSimpsonOH
    465 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Think of the history of this sort of thing for women. It's the 1960s or 70s. 50 kids are invited to a party, 25 girls and 25 boys, and they are asked to dress up as their favorite superhero. Sure, you'll have a few Batmans and Supermans and Spider-Mans, but there will be some Hulks and Aquamans and Robins and Iron Mans and Thors and such. And 25 Girls drsssed as Wonder Woman. Forty years later, and we can't even get one represented on this game.
    This logic is comparable, IMO, to men demanding more male Barbie dolls to be added and then no boys buying said Barbie dolls. I think there should be products/merchandise permitted to primarily target men akin to how there are products that primarily target women. (I'm not saying this logic applies to TSTO since there is a broader female audience for this game; but, it definitely applies to comic books.)

Ultimately, I agree that women are warranted in their fight against gender discrepancies that have an impact on their livelihoods such as equal pay, access to education, etc. But when it comes to stuff such as videogames, entertainment, etc., many of the arguments come off as petty and they often meddle with a product others have enjoyed for a long time.

It's not like anyone would protest if a woman wrote a new comic book featuring female protagonists and a swarm of woman purchase the product either. There are many, many female oriented entertainment products like Hannah Montana, Pretty Little Liars, Barbie, etc. so there is no evidence that more could not exist if there were the demand.

Except that lots of women do play video games and read comic books, and they do buy products that feature strong female characters. Seriously, Barbie dolls and Hannah Montana are all we're supposed to have? Pretty Little Liars? That is incredibly condescending.

And yes, there have been protests about female characters when they haven't been hypersexualized to fulfill male fantasies rather than female ones. There has been horrible treatment of women in these fields when they have dared to speak out for equal representation in games and comics. Comics are actually coming to realize that a huge portion of their market is female, and they are starting to respond. The gaming community needs to do so as well. Sorry if that makes you uncomfortable or "meddles" with a product you like (one based on a show that has taken on this issue, by the way).
  • Igcognita
    1500 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    This logic is comparable, IMO, to men demanding more male Barbie dolls to be added and then no boys buying said Barbie dolls. I think there should be products/merchandise permitted to primarily target men akin to how there are products that primarily target women. (I'm not saying this logic applies to TSTO since there is a broader female audience for this game; but, it definitely applies to comic books.)

It's not like anyone would protest if a woman wrote a new comic book featuring female protagonists and a swarm of woman purchase the product either. There are many, many female oriented entertainment products like Hannah Montana, Pretty Little Liars, Barbie, etc. so there is no evidence that more could not exist if there were the demand.

Once again I don't get your point, I don't understand your comparison. Barbie are for girls, ok, but are you saying that TSTO is for males only, and by adding females it would somehow destroy the game?????
    Wow, I don't get what your saying here at all. Can you give me some examples, of how adding females to a male dominated franchise, has caused its downfall. Having two younger brothers, I read a lot of comics, Watched G.I Joe and Thundercats cartoons, etc...and they always had female fighters in them. A lot of super heros have female counterparts, or actual Female Superheros that standout on their own, so do Videogames and other forms of entertainment.
    And who wants a Barbie without Ken???
  • NuclearPip
    85 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    ebarber wrote:
    Feminist = person who advocates or supports the rights and equality of women. It's that simple and I don't know why that label is being applied here, particularly in a negative tone, like it is something negative to be. Nor is this a PC issue, either. For me, it's an observation of how the event went.

I simply noted that there aren't any female/diverse characters released related to the Superhero event when there are a few to choose from.

When the Moog Moe or Elsa Martin is used instead of actually bringing in ANY other character skins that have been used in the Simpsons related to the Superhero genre is where I really just had to roll my eyes.

Yes, thank you!
    *busy ignoring ahistorical and defensive trolling comments*
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.
  • marpr91
    35 posts
    edited March 2015
    I don't think they added clobber girl because they would have to add stretch dude. They didn't add stretch dude because Bartman was added since its way more popular and profitable.
  • NarraMine88
    379 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    The real reason EA has been slow to release female characters is that most of them (like 90%) are unvoiced characters due to the fact most women in the show are voiced by Tress MacNeille and Pamela Hayden, who aren't counted as main cast and EA won't spend the extra money to get the rights or whatever. This has been discussed on here before. Only the Bouviers and Lisa are voiced off the top of my head. I think most of the time they'd rather release a voiced character rather than unvoiced, which sadly means they release more males than females. Probably because people (rightly) moan about the unvoiced characters.
    Hopefully the fact they got Matt Groening is a sign that things might change and they might get the supporting actors' voices. Although I suspect as creator of the show Matt waived the fees or something.....
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited March 2015
    The real reason EA has been slow to release female characters is that most of them (like 90%) are unvoiced characters due to the fact most women in the show are voiced by Tress MacNeille and Pamela Hayden, who aren't counted as main cast and EA won't spend the extra money to get the rights or whatever. This has been discussed on here before. Only the Bouviers and Lisa are voiced off the top of my head. I think most of the time they'd rather release a voiced character rather than unvoiced, which sadly means they release more males than females. Probably because people (rightly) moan about the unvoiced characters.
    Hopefully the fact they got Matt Groening is a sign that things might change and they might get the supporting actors' voices. Although I suspect as creator of the show Matt waived the fees or something.....

Hey look at that! A perfectly reasonable explanation. Which I am sure will be ignored because it doesn't allow for screaming, self-righteous indignation.

It is truly incredible to me that people are constantly waiting to get angry and pounce over perceived slights when there is no agenda at work.

If it bothers you so much OP, quit the game and send a message. I'm going to bet it's not important enough for you to actually do that.
  • Igcognita
    1500 posts Member
    edited March 2015

Hey look at that! A perfectly reasonable explanation. Which I am sure will be ignored because it doesn't allow for screaming, self-righteous indignation.

It is truly incredible to me that people are constantly waiting to get angry and pounce over perceived slights when there is no agenda at work.

If it bothers you so much OP, quit the game and send a message. I'm going to bet it's not important enough for you to actually do that.

What does this have to do with why a female character wasn't added to this event! Which was the topic of this thread. I don't understand why some of us are not allowed to voice our disappointment over no females added to this particular event, without being met with so many condescending remarks.
    So it's ok to say a building is ugly.
    A new character cost to much donuts.
    We need more land.
    But asking why couldn't they add a female to this event is outrageous.
    There no self righteous indignation , just disappiontment that no females were added with this event. Whose angry?!
    Why are you and others like you making an issue out of one that doesn't exist.

But strangely enough, in a short period of time, they have added several female unvoiced characters without any problems.
  • LisaSimpsonOH
    465 posts Member
    edited March 2015

It's a response that doesn't address my original issue. I don't care all that much if a character is voiced or not, and Lisa is a voiced character. Why is Stupid Sexy Flanders a superhero but Archer Lisa not? It would have been so easy to make her a part of the force fighting the statue. But we didn't even get that.
  • NarraMine88
    379 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    BTW I actually agree they should have added a skin for a female character, preferably Clobber Girl seen as though we got The Collector. Hey, knowing EA they will release both Stretch Dude and Clobber Girl after the event for 90 donuts each! Oh and Charcoal Briquette for some insane price in the region of 200 donuts.
    Or they'll save it for next year.
  • lynnmckenz82
    2611 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    ebarber wrote:

All in all though, the comic book genre isn't diverse and perhaps they are holding out Clobber Girl and stretchy boy for the next Halloween release, as they are from a Treehouse of Horror episode. But I really was hoping for Lisa just to show a little backbone, like her "accusatory rhetoric feminist tone" self usually is, turn into Clobber Girl and totally forget Fall Out Boy and Milhouse.

Beautifully spoken! If they had included Moog Moe and Elsa Martin, they SURELY could have included Fireball Marge and Archer Lisa, who MANY players already have. But they probably didn't even think of it.

Add me to the list of people who would like to see more inclusive roles in the game, for women and non-Caucasians.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • lynnmckenz82
    2611 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Just want to add that it looks as if Gamergate is coming to TSTO, judging from a few (VERY few, I'm happy to say) of the responses.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • bretro85
    97 posts
    edited March 2015
    They should have added at least the Clash Of Clones Marge to the group.
  • ebarber
    186 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Before you read all of this, understand that,
    A) I loved this event. Loved it. I'm a gamer, love comic books, loved this event.
    B) Even though I loved it, there was an issue with it in regards to characters participating in the event.

It's perfectly fine to question why things went the way that they did. TSTO hopefully is paying attention, reflecting on comments in the forum and their own decisions made. Gamergate can open positive discussion about women in gaming, role models, and the extreme negativity thrown at women when such topics are brought up (i.e., this thread...yikes, and this is in a family-friendly forum!)

They should know their audience by now - most are probably female, many would drop real $$ for a premium Lisa skin, this would have been an amazing time to release a MAGGIE character (Brainy Baby!!) - the forum would have exploded on that one!, and that we do pay attention and notice things that aren't there/left out/trivialized/overlooked/made indifferent. Or make us apologize or feel guilty for expressing what we are feeling or calling us "feminists.." Sorry, laughing at that one!

But yes, lack of female superheroes was noticed. And even if no new skins for Lisa were created, they could have simply had Marge throw fireballs, as bretro85 suggested, and Lisa fire arrows, having the Simpson family cluster together for this event as well as the other super heroes.
  • emymarek721
    616 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I know that this is a very Lisa Simpson complaint, but what can I say? I was hoping that chapter four would involve a female superhero, as I've had Archer Lisa and Fireball-Throwing Marge training for their moment to join the Avengers, er Justice League, er whatever. But it's an exclusive boys club apparently. Very disappointing for a show that has one of the best female characters in television history.

I'm in total agreement! :)
  • ernienbenny
    170 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm not a woman, and I agree with the OP. Why didn't we get at least ONE female super-hero? Or a supe-villainess for that matter? Lost opportunity, if you ask me.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.