EA Forums - Banner

OT: Non-Smoking Section

Replies

• baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited March 2015
    Wanna quit smoking, smoke a pack of Time Red 100's lol they are not great tasting cigs. Cheapest you can get in California though, just $3.65 a pack. :shock:

why are they so cheap in California? Didn't California start the whole no smoking inside thing? I pay a about 5 a pack in Pittsburgh, most brands are 6 and some change. I never thought the smoking bans would come this way because it get's cold here, it's no big to step outside in most of California.

Well that's just for crap cigarettes, and I live in a pretty conservative part of California with lower taxes. A pack of Camels or Marlboros run about $5.50-6.00. In big cities like San Francisco they're a lot more expensive. Not quite NYC $10 a pack prices, but close.

I have a vape pen, it's important to find an e juice that you enjoy with the right nicotine level and the right mix of vg/pg. Also if you have the money you can spring for a vaper that has a variable temp so you can choose the temp that makes your e juice most enjoyable!

wait until you get to Australia's prices on smokes

the worse possible cigarettes are around $16 and the others are $20-$26+ for a 25 pack and $30+ for the 30 packs sometimes more if you get them from a vending machine

prices go up every 6 or so months.. still has little impact on making people quit
  • Nitemare-rexx
    541 posts
    edited March 2015
    no idea i have smoked cigs for a few years, i have stopped only craved them a few days after stopping, no big E same as craving a bag of chips. then started again (becuase of other peaple around me) then stopped again no big E after a few days. they say im one of those peaple who can't get addicted to nicotine. althugh i CRAAAAVVVVEEEEE bud and want to smoke bud all the time, if i dont have bud for like over a month i get a THC fit similer to those that get a nicotine fit that last about 2 weeks to a month than that ends.

MOST peaple get addicted to nicotine like heroin or crack (yes cigs ARE A DRUG and infact one of the most dangerus ones yet legal) most peaple dont get addicted to THC so maby something in my brain is reversed?
  • tdmdksk389
    350 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I wanted to start a similar thread but wasn't sure if was something be discussed here. I don't want to quit smoking, but I the past 3 days I've been trying the vape thing. It works for me and it doesn't. The juice upsets my stomach, maybe it's a get used to thing. Si if I end up quitting by accident I don't see myself staying on e-cigs. My reason was I've always smoked in my apartment and now I want it to smell nicer. So I thought I'd vape in the house and smoke when I'm out. Not sure if the right was to handle this but I normally smoke 2 packs a day, first day with the vape I only smoked 2 cigs in 24 hours. Again, it's hard for me because I do enjoy smoking, but want a cleaner living environment. If I do feel the need for a real cig now I hang my head out the window which has been fun in 0' degrees f. I do miss smoking at my desk as I work from home.

I tried various things to quit smoking. The gum, patches and drugs made me really sick. I started vaping using a high nicotine liquid. I have gradually lowered the nicotine level to the lowest amount. Vaping is the only thing that has worked for me. I have not smoked in over 6 years. I had been smoking for 30 years! Plus at over $10.00 a pack now, I quit at the right time.

@johncolombo....you might want to try a different liquid. There are some that are more pure than others. My liquid only has flavor, nicotine and water. It is made in the US. I have a source that I could give you, if you want it feel free to send me a PM.

OP....good luck, I know that it is not easy to quit.

• johncolombo
    11566 posts Senior Moderator
    edited March 2015
    3 months vaping now. I went from 2 packs a day to 2 cigs a day, but it's a choice I make now, the cigs, I really don't need them. Smoking was easier though. I cracked a cleaomizer tonight and ran out of my favorite juice that no one sells locally.
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • ladycatlow
    1010 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    ax0n01 wrote:
    hey peeps! i just wanna let u peeps know how i've been doing...

i'm like 6 weeks smoke free. i officially kicked smoking after the Superbowl and had my last cigarette that week. but i'm not that strong to quit cold turkey. i'm still addicted to nicotine but reduced my intake significantly. i'm down to 3 2mg pieces a day, from a 4mg pack. i tried e-cigs but put that away as it kept me in the act of smoking routine.

cDMq8QCm.jpg

thank u to LadyCat for the nice PM's and suggestions and everyone for the advice/feedback. i'm smoke free and hopefully soon - i'll be rid of the nicotine drug as well.

i'll drink to that! :wink:

whiskey_2.jpg

drj1NmK.gif

Congratulations Ax! You've done so well! :mrgreen: Keep going strong, getting rid of the nicotine replacement will come with time. Just go with it and you will do great! :mrgreen: So pleased for you! :mrgreen:
  • 4junk3000
    5905 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    You could play a mental game with yourself: Don't quit smoking cigarettes. Just quit buying cigarettes. (Don't borrow or steal them either of course) some people find its easier to resist spending money. Activates your desire to SAVE.

I used an e-cig for a while. It's like an electronic lollipop. I preferred basic, familiar flavors like root beer, licorice, strawberry, vanilla clove.

Here's the magic secret: Don't bother trying to make it an alternative to the taste of a cigarette, it doesn't compare. Make it an alternative BEHAVIOR to smoking: vaping. Then it gives your hands something to hold when drinking a pint, driving, etc. and no bad smell, your clothes smell cleaner.

Eventually it becomes a nuisance to carry the thing and you quit that too. But I haven't bought new cigarettes in years. Very glad to not be smoking anymore.

If you want more tips on e-cigs, just PM me. I know a lot about them now. I did some PR writing for a company in exchange for free merchandize, so I got a good education on the marketplace quickly.

Good luck!

• annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    A friend tried and tried to quit, partly because of the life-threatening aspect, especially heart-attack and stroke, but repeatedly got into the frame of mind that says "well, I'd rather die young and happy." ...

Then her brother had a massive stroke. He never did recover much. But he is aware of what's going on, and of what he has lost. It scared the crap out of her, seeing what a stroke can do. For her, it was in a way much more horrific than the ugly images of that video. She was ready to tolerate the "dying young and happy" thing ... she was ready to tolerate disfigurement and some disability, but ending up alive-but-completely-dependent, unable to do things you love to do, sometimes for years, sometimes permanently, was another.

So she quit.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • johncolombo
    edited March 2015
    4junk3000 wrote:
    You could play a mental game with yourself: Don't quit smoking cigarettes. Just quit buying cigarettes. (Don't borrow or steal them either of course) some people find its easier to resist spending money. Activates your desire to SAVE.

I used an e-cig for a while. It's like an electronic lollipop. I preferred basic, familiar flavors like root beer, licorice, strawberry, vanilla clove.

Here's the magic secret: Don't bother trying to make it an alternative to the taste of a cigarette, it doesn't compare. Make it an alternative BEHAVIOR to smoking: vaping. Then it gives your hands something to hold when drinking a pint, driving, etc. and no bad smell, your clothes smell cleaner.

Eventually it becomes a nuisance to carry the thing and you quit that too. But I haven't bought new cigarettes in years. Very glad to not be smoking anymore.

If you want more tips on e-cigs, just PM me. I know a lot about them now. I did some PR writing for a company in exchange for free merchandize, so I got a good education on the marketplace quickly.

Good luck!

Thanks, I just made the jump to sub ohm today. It's Whole new game. I got a 12mg juice, but I can already tell it's too strong. I'm going to try 6 mg nic next. So, If I get the 6mg, I will have gone from 2 pack's a day, to 24 mg juice, to 18, tried 12, then down to 6 mg. All in three months. Thanks Neighbor will keep you close for anymore questions I may have. As a ling time smoker I like holding on to my vape pen, so not a big too carry and with sub ohm, I feel the need to use it less as well.

• johncolombo
    edited March 2015
    4junk3000 wrote:

Good luck!

Thanks, I just made the jump to sub ohm today. It's Whole new game. I got a 12mg juice, but I can already tell it's too strong. I'm going to try 6 mg nic next. So, If I get the 6mg, I will have gone from 2 pack's a day, to 24 mg juice, to 18, tried 12, then down to 6 mg. All in three months. Thanks Neighbor will keep you close for anymore questions I may have. As a ling time smoker I like holding on to my vape pen, so not a big too carry and with sub ohm, I feel the need to use it less as well.

• Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited March 2015
    hope it's still going well fella!
  • RMVancleav710
    3540 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Awesome Job Ax, unfortunately im not ready to hop on the bandwagon of quitting yet...one of these days though!!!
    crawl to the finish ID. socialdisa56
  • joniferous
    521 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I've never really considered quitting, but then I smoke an average of 3 cigarettes a day, and will often go a few days without smoking at all. At the moment, I'm just not ready to quit smoking, but I also think I could probably cut down further so I'd barely be a smoker at all. I did buy a vape a while a go, and i could see myself using the nicotine free juices instead of smoking cigarettes so if iwant to quit, i think that's the way I'd go.
  • empathy77
    4191 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Keep on going Bill, I haven had a cigarette in 2 years and 3 months. It can be done.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Awesome job, Ax! Keep it up!
  • johncolombo
    edited April 2015
    since I quit smoking and starting vaping I allowed my self a cig or two a day. It's been three months ago that I went from 2 packs a day to 2 cigs a day. During those 3 months I went 3 days, once, no cigs.... then 4 days no cigs, I just achieved my personal best at almost 6 days no cigs. What broke me? I have a cold and for some weird reason my cold wanted a cigarette. So I lit one. I switched to a sub ohm coil last week and I'm blowing some major clouds now. When I lit that cig not only could I not taste it, the bumblebee's breath of smoke that come out of a the cig was very disappointing compared to a big bucket lungful of vapor. I'm not advocating either. Just telling my tale.
  • pollardfreek
    786 posts Member
    edited April 2015
    Nice work ax, that's awesome news bro. John, 4junk; glad those e cigs are working well. Much better alternative to the real thing.

I'm like joniferous, for some reason I never really got super hooked on cigarettes. I smoke between 0-2 cigs a day, any much more than that and I get sick. Other things though I get hooked on quite easily. Cut my bud smoking back to save money and because I was super paranoid all the time. Looking forward to 4/20 though, probably gonna get me a special brownie or giant gummy bear 8)
  • johncolombo
    edited May 2015
    so after giving up cigarettes, closing in on about 6 months now, I saw my sister in law tonight, who is a pharmacist. I told her how well vaping helped and in the past 6 months I've only smoked about one weeks worth of cigs in those 6 months. She's anti vaping. Are all pharmacists anti vaping so they can sell other nicotine replacement drugs? So yeah I kinda still haven't really quit 100 percent but I've gone from 2 packs a day to 2 cigs a day or no cigs a day. I've had none today. Her stance on this drives me nuts. My doctor has praised me. Any thought?
  • moxxee
    7697 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    They'll try to sell you anything to make a quick buck....
  • rolybert7
    2776 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    when I quit 17 years ago one thing that helped was being in a place that did not have 24/7 stores. If I made it till 10:00 pm I made it through the day. You take it one day at a time. BTW One fact not known to many is if you can go 7 days without nicotine you are no longer addicted to it!! After that it is dealing with the social aspects of quitting which IMO are more difficult than heroin. You are never faced with many social situations with heroin :shock: :mrgreen: IE: That was a great meal now let me get my needle and spoon :mrgreen:

Good luck to you and I hope you succeed. :D:D:wink:

One last word of advice. You can NEVER go back even for 1 cig because many people fail because they say OH! Let me try one to see if I still want it!! Never Never do that because 95% of the time that is what causes a backslide.
  • rolybert7
    2776 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    moxxee wrote:
    They'll try to sell you anything to make a quick buck....
    Especially tacos :shock: :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Just kidding Mox 8) :mrgreen:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.