EA Forums - Banner

Bye Harry Shearer

Replies

• SimpsonFamily108
    2133 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    baddazoner wrote:
    They will probably get someone else to voice them there are loads of people who are voice actors and it won't be long before they pick up these voices.

they won't sound the same though we've heard their voices for like 20+ years

if it suddenly changes it's like being punched in the face

Not unless they perfect it 100% I don't think Matt G (can't spell surname) :oops: will let them be different.
  • EldarOfSuburbia
    307 posts
    edited May 2015
    To be fair I think this season is an improvement over recent ones.

The only trouble is, on Fox it is followed up by Brooklyn Nine-Nine which is just about the funniest show in the world right now.
  • ghallmark814
    2337 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Greed kills.
    2rxk5ew.jpg
  • durarararara
    2855 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Greed kills.
    2rxk5ew.jpg

I would love that task for Homer. :lol:
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    They have what, 600 episodes to work with? Seems to me if the writers were really clever they could continue to produce the show using old lines from the Shearer characters. You wouldn't be able to have one as the featured character for a new episode, but they would still be able to appear and even contribute to a new storyline in a limited way.

Of course, that's assuming the writers are really clever-- which recent seasons (and certainly the game dialogue) strongly suggest they are NOT...
  • juliet603
    17879 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    shaygitz wrote:
    They have what, 600 episodes to work with? Seems to me if the writers were really clever they could continue to produce the show using old lines from the Shearer characters. You wouldn't be able to have one as the featured character for a new episode, but they would still be able to appear and even contribute to a new storyline in a limited way.

Of course, that's assuming the writers are really clever-- which recent seasons (and certainly the game dialogue) strongly suggest they are NOT...

I did actually think the same thing! It would be hard for new storylines though, especially involving a main character like Skinner.

And then I kept picturing that episode of South Park where they pieced together Chef's lines to make him talk after he left :lol: I know they did that bad on purpose, but I could imagine it being slightly similar :lol:
  • 4junk3000
    6186 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Was there indication why?

Voice talent can truly "phone it in". Why quit such an easy gig? Unless he's got a health problem affecting his voice? I hope he's OK. A competent replacement(s) could be found, but would they? I hope they do.

A sad bit of news indeed. It's not as great as its heyday but it's still better than most drivel on today's broadcasts.
    All my designs look unfinished because i can't place as many plants, streetlights, and fences as i would like. PLEASE REMOVE THE LIMIT, EA!
  • cdepast
    2462 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Stupid Flanders.

On a personal note, this is not a good thing for the longevity of the TSTO community and game.

For those that think the show is stale - I'd encourage you to watch the last couple seasons. It's actually been quite good.
  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited May 2015
    4junk3000 wrote:
    Was there indication why?

Voice talent can truly "phone it in". Why quit such an easy gig? Unless he's got a health problem affecting his voice? I hope he's OK. A competent replacement(s) could be found, but would they? I hope they do.

A sad bit of news indeed. It's not as great as its heyday but it's still better than most drivel on today's broadcasts.

apparently he wanted the freedom to do other work but if he signed to do more Simpsons they wouldn't let him so he declined

he's walking away from a $14 million dollar deal according to the article i just read

• baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited May 2015
    "We do not plan to kill off characters like Burns and Flanders but will recast with the finest voiceover talent available."

looks like we will have new voices to get used to
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    This is a bit of an old picture but gives you an idea of who he voiced :(

nYRi05Ul.png

It's sad that he left! :shock: So unexpected! :cry:
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Looks like what we have is a good, old-fashioned contract breakdown. If he's telling the truth, all Shearer wants is the same freedom he has had. Looks like Al Jean (the showrunner) is claiming that, under the deal, Shearer would have the freedom to do "other projects" he wants to do, but that isn't the same as saying he can do "ALL other projects" he wants to do ... Shearer is saying this contract isn't the one he's always had in the past. So the small-print may be the issue. Or not.

hxxp://money.cnn.com/2015/05/14/media/simpsons-harry-shearer/ (replace "xx" with "tt")

Alright, Mr. Jean and Mr. Shearer -- y'all unzip. I'll go get my ruler. ;)
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • Annathewicked
    4727 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Sadness. And a real good replacement will stil be noticed. Jim hensons son does a good Kermit the frog but it's not the same.
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    baddazoner wrote:
    "We do not plan to kill off characters like Burns and Flanders but will recast with the finest voiceover talent available."

looks like we will have new voices to get used to

New? There are tons of peiple who can do those characters 100% accurate
  • cdepast
    2462 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    TMZ was reporting that this had to do with him wanting more on the backend / merch money. Sad if thats the case, as the guy's net worth is estimated at 65mm.

Good news for TSTO and Simpsons fans:

(CNN)For nearly 600 episodes of "The Simpsons," Harry Shearer has been the voice of many of the show's most iconic characters -- among them Principal Skinner, Ned Flanders and Montgomery Burns.

Now, the comedian and voice actor is leaving the show. Showrunner Al Jean says the characters won't be killed off, not even dusty somethingogenarian Burns. New voice actors will portray the characters, which means some of the many "Simpsons" voices we've come to know and love over the past three decades will probably change, at least a little bit.
  • Tara1qt
    406 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Greed kills.
    2rxk5ew.jpg

I would love that task for Homer. :lol:

Me too!! Good episode
  • HerrTriggerrz
    166 posts
    edited May 2015
    Shearer hosts Le Show every Sunday on CPR / NPR radio. It's a morning coffee type satire show where Shearer exposes American foibles and stupid politics using his vast array of character voices and political impersonations.
    He also tours from time to time for Spinal Tap re unions , and is always writing political satire or making political satire indie films , apparently the newest has him as Richard Nixon . Not sure why FOX has suddenly clamped down on his contract , as he has over the years had the time to do his "non Simpsons" voice work and films. They are risking losing a valid asset as I doubt the rest of the seasons will have the audience it has with him .
  • henpot7514
    6010 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    Cya!
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited May 2015
    cdepast wrote:
    TMZ was reporting that this had to do with him wanting more on the backend / merch money. Sad if thats the case, as the guy's net worth is estimated at 65mm.

CNN Money is reporting that it has to do with a change in his contract that doesn't allow him as much freedom as he had in past contracts to do whatever else he wanted with his time. So I'm not sure it's about money. Might be that simple, of course. But maybe he's fine with the money, but just doesn't like being reined in at all. :?:
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • deana214
    20 posts
    edited May 2015
    He voiced over 100 citizens :(
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.