EA Forums - Banner

What's going on here?

Prev1
They're not giving *that* many donuts.

Many players don't have the Rail Yard and so can't get donuts that way.

The new Daily Challenge system replaces the Daily Bonus. In the weekly Daily Bonus Mystery Box you could win 30 donuts or an item worth more than 30 donuts.

The new system simply keeps people more engaged with the game. And the more time they spend in the game they more likelier they are to spend donuts.

Also, others have pointed out that you're more likely to buy a 150 donut item if you have 100 donuts instead of 20 donuts. (Obviously you'd need to buy donuts to bridge the gap.) So giving players some extra donuts may actually help them in the long run.

Replies

• theslayer369
    2002 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Also I don't get sound of Maggie sucking, so it makes it harder to find her. This happened a few days ago. It could be a glitch, but I'm not sure.
  • someonewashere
    1771 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Well lets break it down shall we?
    the new tasks offer the chance of getting donuts PER DAY, while the mystery box offered the possibility to obtain donuts/ donut items/characters, or cash items every 5TH day.
    30 was the maximum, okay well some quests are offering up to 6 donuts per day although LPNs table seems to show some tasks may offer 15 donuts or 1 day of exp Collider as well as cash amounts or SH resources, this is not including the bonus donuts awarded for completing certain amount of tasks at 5/10/15 and 20 tasks with the amount gained apparently increasing.

and thats just the daily task system, you can get em from neighbor visits, side show you, maggie hide and seek, from bonus levels past max level and the monorail as well.

So if the original post is implying that EA would detrimentally increase the price of future items involving manners of inflation due to the excess amount of "free" donuts circulating the game, then yeah thats possible, they did increase the price of the jet engine bike during Black friday while it had a rebate you still lost a net of 2 donuts.

So yeah it could happen, but dont look a gift horse in the mouth, it might bite you and turn you into a rabid Were-Horse and then what'll you do?
    Back to the darkness i go
    tumblr_mnn50r2s4K1sosawio1_400.gif
  • stinkbugger
    1984 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    okay well some quests are offering up to 6 donuts per day although LPNs table seems to show some tasks may offer 15 donuts or 1 day of exp Collider as well as cash amounts or SH resources

Which tasks are giving 15 donuts a day?
  • Cvija01
    464 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Suzalilli wrote:
    Why are EA suddenly giving us so many donuts? I don't trust them. Something's coming we're not going to like and they're trying to butter us up.

I think that is game over,they give us so much donats....( Daily Challenges System,Winter 2015,Where's Maggie,Treehouse of Horror 2015,Rail Yard...)
  • geekbyknight
    655 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Because the first taste is always free. If you have 40 donuts you've earned from the game, then a limited item comes out that costs 100 donuts, the consumer in you thinks "gee, 100 donuts sure costs less than 140 would". And you but the 100 donuts so you can scratch that premium itch.

It's an attempt to boost donut sales by giving you just enough to need to buy a few more.

The game isn't going anywhere. Not for another couple of years at least. They've been putting work in recently that HASN'T been premium kit. That doesn't sound like a cash grab move to me.
  • ForumNerds
    2455 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    okay well some quests are offering up to 6 donuts per day although LPNs table seems to show some tasks may offer 15 donuts or 1 day of exp Collider as well as cash amounts or SH resources

EDIT: I WAS WRONG in this post about what I wrote earlier about the number of donuts we're going to get. Either there's a glitch, or my assumptions were wrong. It seems the number of bonus donuts varies for some people. I changed the incorrect part to tiny font.

I think someonewashere means the day we get our 15 donut bonus, which comes after we finish 20 tasks.

That is:
    At the end of the first 5 tasks, we got 3 donuts.
    Five days later, at the end of the next five tasks (total 10 tasks completed) we get 6 MORE donuts
    Five days after that, at the end of the NEXT five tasks (total 15 tasks completed) we get 10 MORE donuts
    Five days after that, at the end of the NEXT five tasks (total 20 tasks completed) we get 15 MORE donuts.

So 34 donuts guaranteed by completing 20 days of tasks from the Daily Challenge Bonus. Guaranteed payout. I like that. :)

I like the donuts we get along the way for some of the tasks (like "Send Apu to Recycle Salt" I got 6 donuts. I'm pretty sure I had to send him twice. But each time, it was, like, 1 minute. Obviously, that was lucky, but I gotta admit I'm getting a LOT of daily donut challenges ... usually one donut, but what the heck.)

I like a guarantee of bonus donuts better than the old "I hope I'll get something better than an _Onda this week or another minnow pond" every five days. PLUS, even though I got my 8th Itchy and Scratchy billboard or my 7th newsvan (which are premium items and add a "multiplier" ) I'd MUCH rather get actual donuts to spend on what I want.

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Newcastlenia
    796 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    ForumNerds wrote:

I think he means the day we get our guaranteed 15 donut bonus, which comes after we finish 20 tasks.

That is:
    Five days later, at the end of the next five tasks (total 10 tasks completed) we get 6 MORE donuts
    Five days after that, at the end of the NEXT five tasks (total 15 tasks completed) we get 10 MORE donuts
    Five days after that, at the end of the NEXT five tasks (total 20 tasks completed) we get 15 MORE donuts.

So 34 donuts guaranteed by completing 20 days of tasks from the Daily Challenge Bonus. Guaranteed payout. I like that. :)

In addition to that are the donuts we get along the way for some of the tasks (like "Send Apu to Recycle Salt" I got 6 donuts. I'm pretty sure I had to send him twice. But each time, it was, like, 1 minute. Obviously, that was lucky, but I gotta admit I'm getting a LOT of daily "donut" tasks ... usually one donut, but what the heck.)

I like a guarantee of 34 donuts every 3 weeks than the old "maybe I'll get something better than an _Onda this week or another minnow pond" every five days. PLUS, even though I got my 8th Itchy and Scratchy billboard or my 7th newsvan (which are premium items and add a "multiplier") I'd MUCH rather get actual donuts to spend on what I want.

Sadly for me, after I completed my first 5 tasks, instead of it telling me I'd get 6 donuts for the next 5 tasks I went straight back down to 3. I know this has affected others in the same way, but there have been reports of people going straight from 3 donuts for 5 tasks to 10 donuts for 15 tasks. Either way there are still plenty of donuts to be had. Glitchy or random I don't know, but I completely agree with all your points!
  • ForumNerds
    2455 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    ForumNerds wrote:

I think he means the day we get our guaranteed 15 donut bonus, which comes after we finish 20 tasks.

That is:

In addition to that are the donuts we get along the way for some of the tasks (like "Send Apu to Recycle Salt" I got 6 donuts. I'm pretty sure I had to send him twice. But each time, it was, like, 1 minute. Obviously, that was lucky, but I gotta admit I'm getting a LOT of daily "donut" tasks ... usually one donut, but what the heck.)

I like a guarantee of 34 donuts every 3 weeks than the old "maybe I'll get something better than an _Onda this week or another minnow pond" every five days. PLUS, even though I got my 8th Itchy and Scratchy billboard or my 7th newsvan (which are premium items and add a "multiplier") I'd MUCH rather get actual donuts to spend on what I want.

Sadly for me, after I completed my first 5 tasks, instead of it telling me I'd get 6 donuts for the next 5 tasks I went straight back down to 3. I know this has affected others in the same way, but there have been reports of people going straight from 3 donuts for 5 tasks to 10 donuts for 15 tasks. Either way there are still plenty of donuts to be had. Glitchy or random I don't know, but I completely agree with all your points!

Oops. I forgot about that. Sorry. So now I'm not sure how the heck this works anymore. But I still like it better than the Mystery Box. I've just got too many _Ondas in my town already. (Though at least we're not getting parking lots and hedges)
  • cdepast
    2462 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Ive been feeling the same way as the OP. Im wondering if this is the beginning of the end, and this effort is a last ditch way of promoting donut sales to previously fremium players.

Does anyone know where the game currently ranks in terms of paid content aps?

On a more optimistic note - it could also be that the number of premium items has now grown so large, that giving donuts away keeps the list from looking to daunting to newer players.
  • ForumNerds
    2455 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    cdepast wrote:
    Ive been feeling the same way as the OP. Im wondering if this is the beginning of the end, and this effort is a last ditch way of promoting donut sales to previously fremium players.

On a more optimistic note - it could also be that the number of premium items has now grown so large, that giving donuts away keeps the list from looking to daunting to newer players.

I'm totally agreeing with that last part -- I have concluded that there are simply TOO MANY premium items now for a newer player to pay for.

Those players who have started playing in the last 12 months are the future bread-and-butter for EA. EA already has my money for almost all of the premiums through level 59. It's the folks who are at the lower levels that are the target consumers for all of those.

And, in that group, even a willing premium player isn't going to be able to buy up all of those PLUS the new items as they come along, unless they have hundreds of dollars all at once. I've paid a lot of real life money, but only because the expense has been spread out over time. The vast majority of those players will choose one item OR the other.

It's likely that luring in a player to become premium by dangling that carrot is going to pay off big time in the long run. And once you've paid $5 for some donuts, it doesn't seem that big a deal. The buyer realizes that it's the same price as a Big Mac and fries.

Plus, they are more likely to buy up premium items that come along as limited time -- and at THOSE times they are likely to purchase donuts to fill in gaps.

True, I'm not going to need to buy donuts much anymore. But, as I said, they've got the bulk of the money out of me already. It's like a furniture dealer -- once I have most of my furniture, I'm not as valuable to them as someone with an empty house to fill. ;)
  • Annathewicked
    4728 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I'll take the free donuts - but the reason is they want us to buy more
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • spidersmakegravy
    726 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I'm usually the most cynical person in the world, but I think this is just EA trying something new. They've adopted the "give the punter enough of our goods gratis to get them hooked, and then they'll come running to us with their fistfuls of money to get their latest fix of our sweet, sugary product *evil laugh*" approach. IMHO of course.

I'm also inclined to go with the theory that this is making it more attractive to new players - Halloween in particular was especially kind to newbies. There is a TON of premium content now, so if you're just starting out, that must feel a bit daunting.

Of course, they could just be planning to go out with a bang :wink:

Oh, and Annette, that was exactly how I thought it worked. Seems not :? :lol:
  • bobbythesponge
    83 posts
    edited February 2016
    cdepast wrote:

Unfortunately TSTO has fallen dramatically in free & paid rankings. It can't last forever, right? This app has already surpassed the typical normal app shelf-life. Hopefully we have another year left of content updates but not counting on it. Go review previous EA titles and you'll note they gave away more 'premium currency' 3-6 months prior to collapse. I believe when that day does occur they may simply just stop content updates and still allow server usage (at least until the donut buying weighted avg falls below the server cost and/or redistribution of server space to forecasted higher rev new titles). Simple business.
  • robynou
    147 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Also I don't get sound of Maggie sucking, so it makes it harder to find her. This happened a few days ago. It could be a glitch, but I'm not sure.

I had this problem twice. Both times, I restarted my phone and the sound worked again. I hope this will help.
  • 4junk3000
    6344 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    What's going on??

Why it's a GENUINE, BONAFIED, ELECTRIFIED, SIX-CAR CONTEST, THAT'S WHAT!!

SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES!! see the link in my sig below!!
    All my designs look unfinished because i can't place as many plants, streetlights, and fences as i would like. PLEASE REMOVE THE LIMIT, EA!
  • Alkurian
    75 posts
    edited February 2016
    4junk3000 wrote:
    What's going on??

Why it's a GENUINE, BONAFIED, ELECTRIFIED, SIX-CAR CONTEST, THAT'S WHAT!!

SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES!! see the link in my sig below!!

the spam is great with this one. (seriously)

THE END IS NEAR!! SOON HEDONISM WILL RISE AND CATS WILL LIVE HARMONIOUSLY WITH DOGS!!!
    SAVE YOURSELF NOW!!!!

these extra ways to earn donuts is great. just have to wait and see if its a marketing strategy or if EA has secret, evil intentions.
  • suetopia
    4232 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    For those who are worried that the free donuts may be indicating the end - I can think of other games that have been around longer than Tapped Out that have made it easier to get their premium currency - and those games seem to still be going strong.

As others have said above, this is likely a marketing strategy to give people a taste of the premium aspect, thus encouraging them to spend money on more. It has worked for other games (that aren't EA), so maybe EA thought they would try it to see if it would work for Tapped Out.
  • bobbythesponge
    83 posts
    edited February 2016
    EA's share price is taking a beating. Not a good sign.
  • crodf20
    99 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Well, as long as the donuts are free... I'll enjoy it. Whatever they have in mind, I just don't worry about. One day at the time.
  • ForumNerds
    2455 posts Member
    edited February 2016

previous EA titles ... gave away more 'premium currency' 3-6 months prior to collapse..

Please name two.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.