EA Forums - Banner

Super Tuesday Reminder for US Voters

2Next

Replies

• mathumster385
    2420 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    @Maxx, I think it varies by state, but I can tell you about my state. When I walk into the polling place, I am handed a card and I have to check either Democratic Primary or Republican Primary. Until I check that box, I have the flexibility to vote for either party. And I don't think there's anything to stop someone who supports one party's candidate to instead vote for the weakest candidate in the opposing party. I think I've heard this tactic encouraged if you're sure the person in your primary will win without your vote.

And can I just say you guys might have a bunch of illegals trying to sneak across your southern border if things go wonky in November. So y'all might wanna start working on a wall, maybe even make us pay for it. :D
  • IckabodSchrek
    5912 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Each state is different. For example in South Carolina, you just go in and vote. Other states like Iowa, they caucus, or each party holds meetings in their assigned areas, the candidates are discussed and people try to persuade others to vote for the candidate that they support, and a vote is taken at the end of the meeting. Most states, with proper Id, allow you to register your party affiliation at the time you receive your ballet. I like the caucus format, but agree with Maxx, it would be much more productive if they would put all parties together, however some people make this so personal, it would probably be an all out brawl. IMO I believe all states allow you to change your party affiliation prior to the general election in November and I don't think its even required, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • tommy1724
    1969 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I've been all over Toronto today looking for a polling place, but have had NO luck. This is why voter turnout is low - they just make it too darn hard.
  • danco214
    1289 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    This whole election has me worried, I am terrified at the thought of any of the candidates getting in office. Both front runners have me the most scared.
  • IckabodSchrek
    5912 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    This whole process is so unpredictable this time, for example what happened in Alaska last night. I thought for sure that one would go to Trump, after Sarah Palin endorsed him a while back, instead they went with Cruz. Good to see so may people becoming involved in the selection process this time, instead of just complaining about the candidates later on. Anyone in states with upcoming elections/caucuses let your voice be heard....get out and vote. :D
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    If you're an American planning on moving to Canada if Trump wins, just please, please, please put in a vote against him before you do. We've got plenty of room up here, if you can survive the winter. Their might even be some extra vacancies, because if Trump wins, there will be many Canadians moving to Australia. But you gotta know moving to another country is what Trump wants you to do right now.

Even some of the most angry right wing Canadians think Trump is dangerous to the world as a whole, but none of us in Canada have any say in the matter. You do. And for us, you have to at least try and make a difference. Fight before flight.
  • empathy77
    4186 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Bravewall wrote:
    If you're an American planning on moving to Canada if Trump wins, just please, please, please put in a vote against him before you do. We've got plenty of room up here, if you can survive the winter. Their might even be some extra vacancies, because if Trump wins, there will be many Canadians moving to Australia. But you gotta know moving to another country is what Trump wants you to do right now.

Even some of the most angry right wing Canadians think Trump is dangerous to the world as a whole, but none of us in Canada have any say in the matter. You do. And for us, you have to at least try and make a difference. Fight before flight.

I will never vote for Trump, I live in NY so no matter what my vote is the electoral college for NY is always blue.
    I am for sure moving to Canada if President Trump becomes a real thing............
  • tommy1724
    1969 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    And the good news for you Yankees is that with our dollar what it is now, you can just scrounge for couch change, the move up here and live like a crazy billionaire! Then you can run for office and... Wait. Forget I said anything.
  • ForumNerds
    2455 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    I sent emails to the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Center? ) in Canada right after Bush won the 2004 election. They told me we couldn't live there, but we could come on a visa and stay for a while but we had to leave when our visas expired. I asked how long we would have to wait before going back to Canada for another "visit" ... Like, could we come to Canada for six months, then come back for, oh, let's say a weekend, in Seattle, and then back to Canada. They got a little standoffish at that.

So, I inquired on their policy for Americans seeking political asylum.

They never got back to me on that. And it's been over a decade.

(I bet you think I'm kidding. ) :?
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    ForumNerds wrote:
    I sent emails to the CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Center? ) in Canada right after Bush won the 2004 election. They told me we couldn't live there, but we could come on a visa and stay for a while but we had to leave when our visas expired. I asked how long we would have to wait before going back to Canada for another "visit" ... Like, could we come to Canada for six months, then come back for, oh, let's say a weekend, in Seattle, and then back to Canada. They got a little standoffish at that.

I am sure you are right. but i don't think that is really how political asylum works.
    All these people that say they are going to move to Canada are going to be in for a rude awakening if they are serious.
    People cant just decided to move to another country if they want.
    I also suspect that Canada border service agents will be on extra diligent to check Americans that are trying to say they are coming for vacation to make sure they are not planning to move here.
    if any of you are actually planning to move here you should start the process now with trying to find a job and getting a work visa etc. or if you are single try to find a Canadian to marry you lol.
    Here is a video that was kind of released as a joke that was telling Americans to move to Cape Breton.
  • HappyGamer73
    2403 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    ForumNerds wrote:

Just so you know, Canada does not accept asylum seekers from the U.S., regardless of their country of origin. The only legal way to come, as Maxx said, is to do so on a work (or student) visa or to marry your way in. I would assume that our policies are similar to the U.S., where to get a work visa you need to prove that you're not potentially taking a job away from a resident. It's an open border that's simple to cross for a visit, but immigration is a very long process if done legally.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Bravewall wrote:

Hmmm. Now that you mention it Australia sounds great. Maybe we'll move there instead.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.