EA Forums - Banner

Inventory rework request.

Prev1
AJtheboss1
3869 posts Member
The inventory system is probably my number one pet peeve with this game. The reason that I get so frustrated about it is that it seems so easy (to my ignorant mind) to just categorize and keyword everything properly. I could list a dozen things off the top of my head that ONLY appear in the general 'Inventory' folder (for which no subfolder exists) and probably a dozen more that are decidedly in the wrong category in the first place.

Considering how this game exists solely to decorate your own version of Springfield, EA spends precious little of their time (it seems) in making this easy for us to do. If they spent even 10% of the time that they obviously devote to new and upcoming content, instead on laying the foundation for a good consistent inventory system, it would feel so much more like an actual finished product. As it is, it feels very much like a perpetual beta test; with regard to the fundamentals of the game.

I do realize that EA can only fix that which we point out to them, but I don't have time to list out all the things wrong with the inventory. Besides which, without full access to the files themselves, it would be impossible to ferret then all out anyway. I mean how are we supposed to look up how many characters are marked as 'Pessimist' or 'Celebrity' and which ones should be in those categories that currently are not?

It's pretty frustrating at times.
"The **** of the future will be the anti-****."

Replies

• Bukka|keSamu
    620 posts
    edited June 2016
    I agree, the inventory is lacking. I really wish it saved where you were at if you close the menu and go back in.
  • garcekitten
    37 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    I don't know if it's just me, but the inventory system we have no is just not working for the amount of items we have in the game. I know this has been discussed before, but I feel like it would greatly help the game if they added a few things to the system they have.

1. It would be nice to have a search option in the inventory. Looking for things that are towards the end of the alphabet takes too much time.

2. I also hate when you scroll to a certain point, you lose it after you place an item and take a break for a moment. It should have scroll memory.

3. Probably the most important one of them. This one line inventory business is simply tiresome. I understand why it's like that. It keeps things streamlined and whatnot, but with people who have hundreds of things in their inventory, it turns into a mission finding something. We should have an option of a grid that shows 9 items per page/scroll. Or better yet, let us control how many items go on the page. Single row, double, triple or even 4 rows of items. If people use tablets, they can take advantage of more rows, while phones use the smaller options.
    I really hope this is taken into consideration with future updates.

I really agree with this. Especially item 1. Hope this gets some attention.
  • smohqy
    2110 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I fourth this motion.

Also, can we just put the alphabet in the town census? So I can just tap the letter T to open up characters beginning with that letter? Finding Apu is a breeze, but Zutroy? Forget it. Scrolling nearly, if not more than 200 characters in that box that only shows four names is getting ridiculous. Or at least could the box be lengthened for a longer finger range?

Thanks.
  • lotusmantisx
    164 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    It's so bad, I've been contemplating clearing out my Springfield Heights and placing every item there to make it a giant inventory lol :?
  • ForumNerds
    2455 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    It's so bad, I've been contemplating clearing out my Springfield Heights and placing every item there to make it a giant inventory lol :?

Wish they'd let us do that with our extra space in Krustyland ...

vuu8eWbm.jpg
  • IckabodSchrek
    5912 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Yes, please.
    DeesToonTown in Crawl to the Finish #The Grumple Is Free!
  • direwolf987
    7450 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    2. I also hate when you scroll to a certain point, you lose it after you place an item and take a break for a moment. It should have scroll memory.

I agree with all points and that they need to be addressed, but #2 drives me nuts. If you place, lets say a large hedge or 4, then find you need to move something to place the next large hedge so you have to exit placing mode. When you go to place the one large hedge you need you have to start from the beginning and is very time consuming. Or if you are just looking for something, not sure what, and you place it only to decide you don't like it. You have to start from the beginning and pass all the things you know you don't want, only to get back to where you were in you list. It's ineradicable annoying.

Also, can we just alphabetize the inventory. The 40+ items at the beginning that are not in alphabetical order annoy me too.
  • Jabba0the0hutt
    350 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I concur
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Thank you all for responding and supporting this. Lets keep this thread alive as long as possible to get the developers attention. I know it's not a big thing in grand scheme of things, but it will make this game a lot more enjoyable. Especially for those of us who like to decorate a lot. :D
  • matt777jam77
    243 posts Member
    edited June 2016

My idea i keep bring up when i see these threads is to have another screen kinda like KL where you travel to it but here you can have your entire inventory sitting around and out however you like. Could use it as a area to work new ideas as well. No buildings genarate cash and NPCs dont roam but everything would be sitting out how you choose to arrange it.

When you wanted to transfer stuff to your main SF you would put items into your inventory box that we currently have. So when you go back to your main SF from your inventory screen everything in your inventory box is exactly what you want to take out and place.

Hopefully that made sense
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited June 2016

My idea i keep bring up when i see these threads is to have another screen kinda like KL where you travel to it but here you can have your entire inventory sitting around and out however you like. Could use it as a area to work new ideas as well. No buildings genarate cash and NPCs dont roam but everything would be sitting out how you choose to arrange it.

When you wanted to transfer stuff to your main SF you would put items into your inventory box that we currently have. So when you go back to your main SF from your inventory screen everything in your inventory box is exactly what you want to take out and place.

Hopefully that made sense
    The downside to doing that is it takes up you item count. If you like to decorate and have a lot of stuff out it can make the game unplayable.

For newer players who haven't accumulated a lot of stuff, this can work. However older players can't exactly do that.
  • jpatt62478
    7 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    How about they let me sell all the garbage and trash from the shuttle that is cluttering up my inventory....
  • HisWrath
    335 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    I'd love to see all of your suggestions implemented, AJ. One of my main reservations in reworking large areas of my town is dreading the inventory ordeal I would face.

Something else I would like have is the ability to reorder and group inventory items ourselves. I think this might be even better than alphabetical sorting or a sorting scheme of EA's choosing.
  • matt777jam77
    243 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    KL counts towards my total item count for my main SF?
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    KL counts towards my total item count for my main SF?
    No. It's a separate map. It's loaded in with the main SF map.
  • moxxee
    7697 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Awesome post AJ. This is one of the main reasons why I haven't finished redesigning my town. A search function would be useful, or to let us sort all inventory items.
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts New member
    edited June 2016
    jpatt62478 wrote:
    How about they let me sell all the garbage and trash from the shuttle that is cluttering up my inventory....

Something is one man's garbage, and someone elses treasure. Me personally, I wouldn't want a random stranger to access my town and delete all my premium/limited time items. I don't care what the item is, I want to keep it.
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Bump
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Bump
  • nissa762
    1950 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Yes please, was placing white spotlights the other day - ended up putting extras out while I finished the design. While you do seem to go back to where you left off if you go into a category, too many items are frequently left uncategorized - i.e. I'll have to scroll through the entire list anyways that doesn't send me back to where I left off.

Would be great if I could move things I'll never use into another folder or "storage" area to clear the clutter.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.