EA Forums - Banner

Congratulations to the Brexitters!!

Replies

• barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    Outraged right now that "bregret" is a thing. Talking to someone at a gathering yesterday, the subject of the referendum came up. They said they voted leave, and I asked why.

Their response: "I didn't think it would happen so I just did."

People like THIS is why my country will be in shambles. :roll:

I think it was IckabodSchrek that brought up a current affairs test to allow people to vote. I whole-heartedly agree. Maybe a common sense test also?
    They were hoping that the remain would win it then were surprised to see it lose so they come up with stupid replays. If they didn't think they would win why did the for in the first place.

...what? I seriously have no idea what you're trying to get across.
  • NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    Outraged right now that "bregret" is a thing. Talking to someone at a gathering yesterday, the subject of the referendum came up. They said they voted leave, and I asked why.

Their response: "I didn't think it would happen so I just did."

People like THIS is why my country will be in shambles. :roll:

I think it was IckabodSchrek that brought up a current affairs test to allow people to vote. I whole-heartedly agree. Maybe a common sense test also?
    They were hoping that the remain would win it then were surprised to see it lose so they come up with stupid replays. If they didn't think they would win why did the for in the first place.

...what? I seriously have no idea what you're trying to get across.

They voted to leave but actually hoped that the leave campaign wouldn't win so it was half hearted. I've been reading that a few wanted to change their mind because they thought that leave wouldn't win. It's stupid really.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

Love you Davo Rest in paradise
  • tommy1724
    1972 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:
    Just saw on the news that it's possible Scotland could veto the UK decision to leave the EU, it's getting interesting!

That would get shot down right away. At the end of the day it's down to our government to implement it. Scotland don't have the powers to veto it.

Perhaps according to the status quo. However, if most of Scotland wants to stay in the EU, seems to be an excellent reason to hold another independence referendum, this time with a much clearer reason to leave. And honestly, if they leave then the final unravelling of the U.K. is probably inevitable. Once that happens, it'll be pretty tough for Canada, Australia and all the other commonwealth countries to justify staying in the commonwealth. Seems like England's wish to stand alone might truly come to pass.

So, Canadians, who should be our new head of state? I say we rotate it annually between the three members of Rush.
  • NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    tommy1724 wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:
    Just saw on the news that it's possible Scotland could veto the UK decision to leave the EU, it's getting interesting!

That would get shot down right away. At the end of the day it's down to our government to implement it. Scotland don't have the powers to veto it.

Perhaps according to the status quo. However, if most of Scotland wants to stay in the EU, seems to be an excellent reason to hold another independence referendum, this time with a much clearer reason to leave. And honestly, if they leave then the final unravelling of the U.K. is probably inevitable. Once that happens, it'll be pretty tough for Canada, Australia and all the other commonwealth countries to justify staying in the commonwealth. Seems like England's wish to stand alone might truly come to pass.

So, Canadians, who should be our new head of state? I say we rotate it annually between the three members of Rush.

Holding referendums cost money. Where does the money come from? Tax. Who pays tax? People and business pay tax. Once it dawns on the scots that it's coming out of their pockets and these referendums are not cheap they are going start thinking maybe we don't want a second one and that the Scottish parliment should respect their wishes.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    tommy1724 wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:

Holding referendums cost money. Where does the money come from? Tax. Who pays tax? People and business pay tax. Once it dawns on the scots that it's coming out of their pockets and these referendums are not cheap they are going start thinking maybe we don't want a second one and that the Scottish parliment should respect their wishes.

No, once it dawns on the Scots that the English and Welsh have screwed them over and taken them out of the single market, they'll see what's coming out of their pockets and want to be independent. :-)

in semi-related news (it is the Euros): Ireland just scored a penalty against France. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    tommy1724 wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:

No, once it dawns on the Scots that the English and Welsh have screwed them over and taken them out of the single market, they'll see what's coming out of their pockets and want to be independent. :-)

So you think that a Scotsman would be happy that their country would waste 10s of millions on a second referendum when a first one wanted to stay part of the U.K. And that a leader who is hell bent on having these referendums. If they don't want leave she won't accept and continue to hold them until she wins. Rival parties in Scotland have said its unwise to hold another.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Let me just put this here for the ones who have thrown hate at the leave voters. And I agree with it. I found this on Facebook is someone's views on the hate.

chrLNrE.jpg
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    fVQivVSm.jpg

Just thought I'd as some humour to this thread. He gets my vote.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• Muhsterino
    4498 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    The news channels have been covering another referendum related story today.
    Shortly after the referendum result, some Labour MP's tabled a 'no-confidence' vote in Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour and opposition leader, saying that he didn't do a good enough job campaigning to stay in the EU. Today Hilary Benn was sacked from his job in the shadow cabinet, which led to several other members of the shadow cabinet resigning. :shock:
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    Muhsterino wrote:
    The news channels have been covering another referendum related story today.
    Shortly after the referendum result, some Labour MP's tabled a 'no-confidence' vote in Jeremy Corbyn, the Labour and opposition leader, saying that he didn't do a good enough job campaigning to stay in the EU. Today Hilary Benn was sacked from his job in the shadow cabinet, which led to several other members of the shadow cabinet resigning. :shock:

This is more of a coup to get rid of him. I think he should resign. Am a labour voter and have been for 16 years now and not once did he take the referendum seriously. He only cane out to support the remain campaign too late.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• theslayer369
    2009 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    Let me just put this here for the ones who have thrown hate at the leave voters. And I agree with it. I found this on Facebook is someone's views on the hate.

chrLNrE.jpg

A Scottish friend of mine who voted out showed me her FB page this morning, I can't believe the abuse and hatred that's been posted, this from people who she thought were her friends.

These people are behaving like children, spitting out their dummies and throwing their toys out of the cot because they haven't got their own way.

They should Grow up and accept what's happened, we the majority voted out, a legal, binding, and democratic vote.

Sturgeon can't veto it. This woman is creating more hatred and trying to divide our country even more.( and just to let you know I personally don't care if Scotland or Ireland go their separate ways, I would wish them all the best)

The EU have said no because to Sturgeon because Scotland has nothing to offer, oil prices and production have slumped and they rely on us for subsidies . We spend more per head in Scotland than we do in England. And the cost of a refurendum doesn't come cheap. Also and perhaps more to the point Spain won't have it because it would mean Catalonia would demand separation from them plus the few other countries who will have the same problem.

These people should stop being nasty and personal, it doesn't serve any purpose.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:

chrLNrE.jpg

A Scottish friend of mine who voted out showed me her FB page this morning, I can't believe the abuse and hatred that's been posted, this from people who she thought were her friends.

These people are behaving like children, spitting out their dummies and throwing their toys out of the cot because they haven't got their own way.

They should Grow up and accept what's happened, we the majority voted out, a legal, binding, and democratic vote.

Sturgeon can't veto it. This woman is creating more hatred and trying to divide our country even more.( and just to let you know I personally don't care if Scotland or Ireland go their separate ways, I would wish them all the best)

The EU have said no because to Sturgeon because Scotland has nothing to offer, oil prices and production have slumped and they rely on us for subsidies . We spend more per head in Scotland than we do in England. And the cost of a refurendum doesn't come cheap. Also and perhaps more to the point Spain won't have it because it would mean Catalonia would demand separation from them plus the few other countries who will have the same problem.

These people should stop being stop being nasty and personal, it doesn't serve any purpose.

Thanks for this. And I 100% agree. Those giving abuve pleaded stop giving abuse. I wouldn't dream of giving abuse. At one point druring the night of Thursday I thought we would have been beaten but the turning point for me was Sunderland voted to leave by a big margin and then after that I had belief that it was our night. Had we of lost I would have been disappointed but would have taken it on the chin.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• ForumNerds
    2465 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    On a side-note ...

The older I get, the more I form the opinion that the concept of "nations" is an absurd one to begin with. Little artificial lines on the globe. That's all they are. And look at the millions and millions of human lives we've lost fighting wars to keep the little artificial lines where they are, or to move the little artificial lines around, or to erase someone else's little artificial lines, or by bombing and killing, being careful to stay within someone ELSE'S little artificial lines.

Lines. What a stupid idea. Flags. What a stupid idea. Nations. What a stupid idea.

Ptui. :(

If there's a heaven, I wonder if there are little artificial lines. :?
  • notDepressed
    286 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    if you come out of the Single Market, it would be a disaster for firms like Nissan (Sunderland) as one example. I believe this will ultimately force many large firms like Nissan, Hitachi, and others to re-locate (no choice). Doubtful the EU will be sympathetic in their break-away terms either.

Just read how the majority of 18-25 year olds feel duped and didn't even realize what they were voting for - scary. I guess that ties to the 'What is the EU?' top Google search over the past few days in the UK.

To those who voted to leave, what primary reasons drove you to this being the best solution? Curious.
  • NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    if you come out of the Single Market, it would be a disaster for firms like Nissan (Sunderland) as one example. I believe this will ultimately force many large firms like Nissan, Hitachi, and others to re-locate (no choice). Doubtful the EU will be sympathetic in their break-away terms either.

Just read how the majority of 18-25 year olds feel duped and didn't even realize what they were voting for - scary. I guess that ties to the 'What is the EU?' top Google search over the past few days in the UK.

To those who voted to leave, what primary reasons drove you to this being the best solution? Curious.

I voted to leave for many reasons. Immigration being too high. Being told by the eu what to do. We can't do what we want to do as it would upset the eu. We can't deport eu members for very bad crimes because it's against their human rights. The list for me is long. Why should we be dictated to by a unelected body. This has been my stance for a number of years now.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:

I voted to leave for many reasons. Immigration being too high. Being told by the eu what to do. We can't do what we want to do as it would upset the eu. We can't deport eu members for very bad crimes because it's against their human rights. The list for me is long. Why should we be dictated to by a unelected body. This has been my stance for a number of years now.

They are actually elected, just not voted for in the same way as our general elections are.

The saddest and most shocking thing is the racism that has already begun. In Cambridge yesterday laminated cards were put through Polish people's doors with 'No more Polish vermin' written on them in English and Polish, then today racist graffiti was written on the Polish cultural centre in London. It's only been 48 hours :(

As well as that, in those 48hours everything the remain campaigners said would happen has, and the leave campaigners have backtracked and retracted on what they promised would happen, admitting a lot of it was lies. Nigel Farage admitted the claims of the leave campaigners that we would now be able to put the 350 million a week we gave to the EU into the NHS was a lie, and today admitted that the UK would now go into a recession. The steel industry is in big trouble too; a sale of the Tata plant is in jeopardy meaning 11,000 people could lose their jobs, and shares and investment in the housing sector have fallen by 50%, which will mean less homes being built and a major loss of jobs.
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    @Juliet: Thanks for the summary. It makes a bit more sense now. Surprised Wiki doesn't have a Brexit entry.

@Tommy: King Geddy? Or King Neal? Can't remember the other guy's name. :D But you guys have the world's coolest leader ATM. I'd put Obama second.

@Nick: Among other things, you're trashing our economy as well as your own. Thanks so much.

@Annette: John and Yoko had this idea back in 1973: Nutopia. Google for more info. Meanwhile, let's all sing their International Anthem:

Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • theslayer369
    2009 posts Member
    edited June 2016

This was my reason right at the beginning of this post.

I voted out, for various reasons. When we first joined it was for trade only, but according to our MP's they have admitted this was a lie, they always meant to be in control.

And a European army seriously......

We have Dutch friends and they are desperate to leave the eu as well.

No, I cannot be a part of a union so corrupt and with no integrity whatsoever and more to the point are unelected, yet a group of the unelected lock themselves in a room with no one to take minutes of the meeting to decide the fate of Europe.

Oh no, this sort of leadership takes us back to the them and us mind set. I mean to tell the UK we will be punished even if we leave or not, what's that about do they think we are school children?

We import a big percentage of vehicles from Germany, wine, cheese, fruit from France Italy and Spain to name but a few can those country's afford not to trade with us. It's a big world there's plenty who will be only to willing to take up the vacancies.

If the eu said they would go back to a trade only policy, then I would not have a problem, but until or if that happens........

Edited loads to try to make it friendly and not to political, apologise if I've failed.
  • NicholasD1984
    2713 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    juliet603 wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:

They are actually elected, just not voted for in the same way as our general elections are.

The saddest and most shocking thing is the racism that has already begun. In Cambridge yesterday laminated cards were put through Polish people's doors with 'No more Polish vermin' written on them in English and Polish, then today racist graffiti was written on the Polish cultural centre in London. It's only been 48 hours :(

As well as that, in those 48hours everything the remain campaigners said would happen has, and the leave campaigners have backtracked and retracted on what they promised would happen, admitting a lot of it was lies. Nigel Farage admitted the claims of the leave campaigners that we would now be able to put the 350 million a week we gave to the EU into the NHS was a lie, and today admitted that the UK would now go into a recession. The steel industry is in big trouble too; a sale of the Tata plant is in jeopardy meaning 11,000 people could lose their jobs, and shares and investment in the housing sector have fallen by 50%, which will mean less homes being built and a major loss of jobs.

I don't condone the racist behaviour of these idiots.
    These promises that are now not going to happen your are you telling me that the remain campaign wouldn't have done the same thing? Of course they would have. As for the companies wanting to move let them it's only a small portion that's leaving. I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't pay full taxes to us. People were saying that we leave we'll be in a recession hang on a min we are sort of in one now and that was last month. The manufacturing industry went into one before the vote. Since David Cameron and first his coalition took us to 2 and one when he came back to power. It's all scare tactics. Everyone was saying it's going to be bad all doom and gloom. Just wait and see how wrong they will be.
    My friend list is full

Live life to the full

• juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2016
    HomerND84 wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:
    HomerND84 wrote:

I don't condone the racist behaviour of these idiots.
    These promises that are now not going to happen your are you telling me that the remain campaign wouldn't have done the same thing? Of course they would have. As for the companies wanting to move let them it's only a small portion that's leaving. I wouldn't be surprised if some didn't pay full taxes to us. People were saying that we leave we'll be in a recession hang on a min we are sort of in one now and that was last month. The manufacturing industry went into one before the vote. Since David Cameron and first his coalition took us to 2 and one when he came back to power. It's all scare tactics. Everyone was saying it's going to be bad all doom and gloom. Just wait and see how wrong they will be.

You have a lot of confidence in something that even the experts and people behind the leave campaign have now admitted they are very uncertain about...

As for the recession - we've been coming out of the recession and doing really well compared to about ten years ago when it hit the fan, so not sure what you mean by that.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!