EA Forums - Banner

Lost motivation to play now that I've reached the item limit...

Prev1
My device has pretty bad lag and I'm not even to 7000 items. I couldn't imagine trying to play with a higher limit until I get a new phone.
Joined: May 2014 • Level: 563 • Favourite Characters: Lisa & Ralph

Replies

  • nissa762
    1951 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I support that fully!

    Just "cleared" my town of decorations I could store yesterday and reduced some designs. Can't do it anymore without fully destroying designs I really don't want to.

  • matt777jam77
    243 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Slightly off topic: Id really like to see an items displayed counter added somewhere to the game, maybe on the store screen or character inventory screen. NOT on the normal playing screen for sure. I have no idea how many items out i have or how close to the limit i am. Although im sure im not close I would like to know
  • Enna88
    22 posts
    edited July 2016
    I agree that the limit should be raised but at the same time, I noticed in the recent weeks that the game lags A LOT on my phone which is only a year and half old. I can't imagine how much laggier the game would be when visiting neighbors towns if they raise the limit. Not to mention the horrendous time it takes for their towns to load. So while I really enjoy decorating my own town and viewing my neighbors cool towns, I fear the lag with limit raised.
  • wadebear
    3998 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Pick an area, un-decorate it. You can't have everything. The item limit is there due to the limitations of the devices we play on to keep you from crashing even more than we do now. Too many items and the game simply isn't going to open.

    Can't decide what stays or goes? Post some images of your town and let everyone vote on the area to dump.
  • bluntcard
    3859 posts Member
    edited July 2016

    If you go beyond your devices memory capabilities, your game will never be able to load and you'll be stuck.

    Why is that so hard for people to understand?
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    bluntcard wrote:
    If you go beyond your devices memory capabilities, your game will never be able to load and you'll be stuck.

    Why is that so hard for people to understand?

    I think the big problem is that we keep getting more land, but the item limit stays the same. This results in a town looking much less decorated because the same number of items are spread across a larger area. Even though most players are dead-set against the idea of expanding build space by offering a second zone that loads separately (like KL), I think that's the only way you can really expand both land and item limits at the same time.

    That said, I've never even come close to hitting the limit.
  • 4junk3000
    5331 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I am right there with you.

    But i am floating along for the moment. I did a major audit, eliminating all single shrubs where i could use a double, triple, or quad-square shrub instead. Same with flowers. I removed any fence that was hidden and have been clearing trees from my dense forest areas. Street lights are practically all gone too.

    Try to get by for now, and hopefully we will get a feature limit increase soon!
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    wadebear wrote:
    Pick an area, un-decorate it. You can't have everything. The item limit is there due to the limitations of the devices we play on to keep you from crashing even more than we do now. Too many items and the game simply isn't going to open.

    Can't decide what stays or goes? Post some images of your town and let everyone vote on the area to dump.

    If people need to do that, you have failed as a developer.

    I reached the item limit as Well and i can't break down an area because my town is not formele in 'areas' but is a realistic representation of a town design.

    Crashes? Device limitations? I have zero crashes.

    Besides, raising the item limit does not affect older devices immediately. If they stay around a stable number of items, those with a stronger device can decorate more and those with an older device don't crash more.

    But most likely it would be better if they 'dump' older generations of devices like they did with iOS 5.1 devices a while ago.
  • 4junk3000
    5331 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I agree that an ongoing game like this should progress with technology, and older devices will unfortunately lose support, as they bring changes which require newer devices with better performance. It's the nature of evolving technology that is mobile platforms.

    My device is a 2012 Nexus tablet. I know someday this will be obsolete too. But for now the game works perfectly on it.

    In fact i recommend this tab as an option for those seeking a good used device to play on instead of their old phone, if they can't upgrade phone at this time. Just don't go above kk 4.4.4 with it.
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • chrisgyo
    1030 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    how do you know how many items already used?
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    roshigoth1 wrote:
    Even though most players are dead-set against the idea of expanding build space by offering a second zone that loads separately (like KL), I think that's the only way you can really expand both land and item limits at the same time.

    I’ve also wondered about this as a possible approach to the expansion problem.
  • mystery2mi
    2357 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    4junk3000 wrote:
    In fact i recommend this tab as an option for those seeking a good used device to play on instead of their old phone, if they can't upgrade phone at this time. Just don't go above kk 4.4.4 with it.

    What happens if you go above KitKat 4.4.4? I have been thinking about getting a newer tablet because this one doesn't seem to be holding a charge for long. It always needs to be plugged in.
  • 4junk3000
    5331 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    mystery2mi wrote:
    4junk3000 wrote:
    In fact i recommend this tab as an option for those seeking a good used device to play on instead of their old phone, if they can't upgrade phone at this time. Just don't go above kk 4.4.4 with it.

    What happens if you go above KitKat 4.4.4? I have been thinking about getting a newer tablet because this one doesn't seem to be holding a charge for long. It always needs to be plugged in.

    The tablet i mentioned, the Nexus 7 2012, seems to work best with kk 444. I had a hard time rolling it back, after trying lollipop on it and it started crashing and rebooting.

    There's something fishy about hardware and corresponding drivers on this older Asus tablet, that they improved on the newer Nexus7, the 2013 model. Something that also makes running flash a little off and a couple other quirks. So it should be cheaper than the newer ones, but still a solid google-ready tablet. Since i use mine only for games like this, i am happy with it. But the 2013 is a better model.


    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • wadebear
    3998 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    mystery2mi wrote:
    4junk3000 wrote:
    In fact i recommend this tab as an option for those seeking a good used device to play on instead of their old phone, if they can't upgrade phone at this time. Just don't go above kk 4.4.4 with it.

    What happens if you go above KitKat 4.4.4? I have been thinking about getting a newer tablet because this one doesn't seem to be holding a charge for long. It always needs to be plugged in.
    It bogs down horribly. I've got one, too. Playing my 3rd game on it.

    There is a version of Marshmallow 6.0 for it, but it's not officially supported. You also have to install it manually. Just do a Google search for [google]Nexus 7 2012 Marshmallow[/google].
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    4junk3000 wrote:
    mystery2mi wrote:
    4junk3000 wrote:
    In fact i recommend this tab as an option for those seeking a good used device to play on instead of their old phone, if they can't upgrade phone at this time. Just don't go above kk 4.4.4 with it.

    What happens if you go above KitKat 4.4.4? I have been thinking about getting a newer tablet because this one doesn't seem to be holding a charge for long. It always needs to be plugged in.

    The tablet i mentioned, the Nexus 7 2012, seems to work best with kk 444. I had a hard time rolling it back, after trying lollipop on it and it started crashing and rebooting.

    There's something fishy about hardware and corresponding drivers on this older Asus tablet, that they improved on the newer Nexus7, the 2013 model. Something that also makes running flash a little off and a couple other quirks. So it should be cheaper than the newer ones, but still a solid google-ready tablet. Since i use mine only for games like this, i am happy with it. But the 2013 is a better model.

    Just to add another data point, I own a 2013 Nexus 7 which runs the latest OS (6.x, I think). It’s not my primary device for playing the game, but I have used it on a number of occasions without significant problems.
  • GWARRIOR_56
    27 posts
    edited July 2016
    Has the limit ever been raised?
  • djmikeh
    86 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    I have to add my frustrations to this, for me its the single biggest problem with the game, unfortunately the only solution I can see is to cut out the early devices that are no longer capable of running it. Games consoles get upgraded bi-annually, therefore rendering earlier games from earlier consoles unplayable... Maybe apps should be the same?

    Harsh but fair??
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    Has the limit ever been raised?

    It’s been raised at least once to my knowledge.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    djmikeh wrote:
    I have to add my frustrations to this, for me its the single biggest problem with the game, unfortunately the only solution I can see is to cut out the early devices that are no longer capable of running it. Games consoles get upgraded bi-annually, therefore rendering earlier games from earlier consoles unplayable... Maybe apps should be the same?

    Harsh but fair??

    Perhaps inevitable, and we’ve already seen this at least once although the occasion I’m thinking of had less to do with memory limitations and more to do with some technical aspect of the compiler EA was using.

    On the other hand, I’m sure EA would view this as an alternative of last resort since by taking that route they would be effectively 86ing a certain percentage of their customers.
  • cdepast
    2463 posts Member
    edited July 2016
    when you say limit - are you referring to the annoying message pop-up or are you actually unable to place another item? If the latter, what is the real limit?

    I ignore the warnings all the time with no issues.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!