EA Forums - Banner

The Black Friday that wasn't

2Next

Replies

  • I managed to snag a few items I passed on over the years at great prices. There were a few I missed due to timing, but I think I'll survive. We could have gotten no deals at all, so I really don't understand the problem here. Besides, if there was an item you simply can't live without, shouldn't you already have it?
  • Gotta be honest the set up annoyed me too. Not complaining, that's the way the cookie crumbles, but it is annoying when you're on the other side of the world and the time difference means you're asleep for a bunch of them. No way in heck am I setting an alarm for the middle of the night, I have a toddler my sleep time is sacred lol. I picked up the mini warhead and that's it. Would have bought more if I had the chance so I think they probably missed out on quite a few sales this way.
  • Jedihntr wrote: »
    Besides, if there was an item you simply can't live without, shouldn't you already have it?

    Not everyone has been playing since Day 1.
  • While I logged in several times during the promotion, at no time were items actually available for purchase. They seemed to cycle between 'countdown', and altogether absent for the entire duration. Thanks, I guess.

    This is what happened to me and no, I only started a year ago so don't have a lot of the items offered. A lot of the times I just could not access them.
    While that sounds ****, it's not, just a statement of fact.
    As for America being **** up I totally agree and would leave if I could so blah!!!!
    Nothing as loud as the silentmiaow.
  • Jedihntr wrote: »
    Besides, if there was an item you simply can't live without, shouldn't you already have it?

    Not everyone has been playing since Day 1.

    This game has been around for 4 years. I don't think this sale was meant for new players to catch up.
  • Jedihntr wrote: »
    Jedihntr wrote: »
    Besides, if there was an item you simply can't live without, shouldn't you already have it?

    Not everyone has been playing since Day 1.

    This game has been around for 4 years. I don't think this sale was meant for new players to catch up.

    The purpose of the sale is to allow any player — new or old — to pick up items they might not have for any of various reasons: They may not have been playing when the item was originally offered, they may have had a limited number of donuts when first offered, etc., etc. So, yes, that includes allowing newer player to “catch up”.


  • The 1 hour limit is a pressure sales tactic to force you to make a decision immediately, like when the used car dealer says you are getting a "special" price, and that the price is only good for the day. If EA gives you too much time to think about making the purchase, you might decide not to buy it.

    well that's no good if you can't be available to buy during that hour and no I don't want stuff enough to set an alarm in the middle of the night!! Now if they had given say 25% off all items there would have been loads of things I would have bought.
    I love my computer...all my friends live in it
  • Ive never seen a black friday sale that only discounts 1 item every hour for exactly one hour.
    At the very least a whole aisle but not one item, (although that would explain the Tickle-Me-Elmo fiasco of the late 90s)

    fwiw, Amazon has many BF deals that are only available for a short amount of time (which may end earlier if quantity runs out).
    True. I've seen that but the hour offer really put me off. At least here we have a cheat sheet for what's coming up, but the Amazon sales are an annoying mystery.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • Jedihntr wrote: »
    Jedihntr wrote: »
    Besides, if there was an item you simply can't live without, shouldn't you already have it?

    Not everyone has been playing since Day 1.

    This game has been around for 4 years. I don't think this sale was meant for new players to catch up.

    The purpose of the sale is to allow any player — new or old — to pick up items they might not have for any of various reasons: They may not have been playing when the item was originally offered, they may have had a limited number of donuts when first offered, etc., etc. So, yes, that includes allowing newer player to “catch up”.


    I only meant that in the sense that people were complaining that they couldn't get every item because of timing issues. I got some, I missed some, that's the way it goes. EA isn't going to alter the way BF works (and it works just fine) because some people feel slighted because they couldn't get every single item at a discounted donut rate.
  • I enjoyed Black Friday. I don't really get the complaints. If you really wanted a certain item you knew exactly when it was available, thanx to LPN. :) So all you had to do was set an alarm for it.

    All items were offered twice a day. So if you couldn't get the item you wanted in the morning, you could get it later in the day when it came back for the second time.
  • Jedihntr wrote: »
    Jedihntr wrote: »
    Jedihntr wrote: »
    Besides, if there was an item you simply can't live without, shouldn't you already have it?

    Not everyone has been playing since Day 1.

    This game has been around for 4 years. I don't think this sale was meant for new players to catch up.

    The purpose of the sale is to allow any player — new or old — to pick up items they might not have for any of various reasons: They may not have been playing when the item was originally offered, they may have had a limited number of donuts when first offered, etc., etc. So, yes, that includes allowing newer player to “catch up”.


    I only meant that in the sense that people were complaining that they couldn't get every item because of timing issues. I got some, I missed some, that's the way it goes. EA isn't going to alter the way BF works (and it works just fine) because some people feel slighted because they couldn't get every single item at a discounted donut rate.

    I guess that there’s just a fundamental difference in how we see this issue. I’ve never really understood the tendency — expressed in this thread and countless others dealing with various aspects of the game — to pooh-pooh criticisms of TSTO or suggested improvements/changes. The game isn’t some sort of sacred cow, after all. Sure, if we were talking about some life-saving drug, I would have been more willing to set a 2am alarm or tell my family that we’ll be skipping the holiday get-together this year because the family hosting it lives in an area where cell coverage is spotty. Would the world really screech to a halt if the developers relaxed (even a teensie bit) the schedule by which items were made available for purchase? This particular change wouldn’t even be that difficult to implement. When you say, “EA isn't going to alter the way BF works (and it works just fine) because some people feel slighted because they couldn't get every single item at a discounted donut rate”, what I hear is, “BF worked fine for me, therefore it’s good enough for all concerned and no changes are necessary. Anyone complaining is just whining.”
  • Anyone complaining is just whining.”
    Spot on.

    iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 13 Blue.
  • In past years black Fridays have many fantastic stuffs but donuts are hard to come by. Now it is easier so I guess the items available will not be as good.
  • Again, the rebate offers are now in all events, so bf is something smaller now. In events you get characters with rebates now so
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • I logged in multiple times during the Black Friday event. Every time, Gil was there to pitch the deal to me, but there were not actually any items available. I spent a net total of 0 donuts. If you have a marketing event that results in people spending no money, it is a failure. You can try to spin it or justify it however you want, but it was poorly planned and executed.

    The reason real retailers have Black Friday sales is to... sell more merchandise. There are some time-specific deals, but many of the deals are actually for the entire day, or even for the entire weekend. Even if a specific item/sale is no longer available, there are other sales on other items. These sales are not meant to save the customer money as much as they are to encourage the customer to do a LOT of shopping.

    There was nothing available to me in this event, and as a result I didn't buy anything. That makes it a failure. While some people may not have had issues, it's clear I wasn't the only one. Rather than looking at this like it's sour grapes of people missing out, though, maybe look at it as a missed revenue opportunity from a FREEMIUM game that relies on said revenue to be sustainable. Maybe the game is still doing well enough that this won't hurt, but I would imagine the revenue is no where near what it used to be.
  • I somehow missed out on the Big **** Skinner balloon. Again. No idea how it's eluded me twice. Only item I don't have.

    Oh well. Next time!
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.