EA Forums - Banner

Enjoying the Pagan twist?

12346Next

Replies

• simpsons wiki
  • pbpandapuffs
    118 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I. LOVE. IT. I'm gonna put so many mushrooms around my pagan and spooky forest areas. I'm a secular hippie at heart who celebrates Solstice and Christmas, so this is one of my favorite event themes ever.

And I do adore Christmas in Springfield every year, but sheesh I have so many decorations from previous years it's not like my town isn't festive! I wish there was more to the event in general, and I wish the friend involvement was a little more creative (I miss those presents!). But I love that they're doing something different, the henge is AWESOME, tapping that creepy gnome cracks me up, and even the items we're crafting for are neat. And how can you not love the animation when you tap a pagan? Solstice magic!

I do hope they introduce more premium items (esp old ones like at Halloween please??), I was hoarding enough donuts to get something this event and so far I'm not excited by the choices.
  • louisobyrne
    58 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Sorry for the mess... When you see it.!.!.!.

V7kHdMQ.jpg
  • I like the pagan festival as a concept, but I would have rather seen it at Samhain and have a more traditional Xmas event.

There's really nothing uplifting about neo-paganism; it has none of the fun and celebration of joy/love/giving that is the actual real-world hallmark of modern day (non-commercial) Christmas celebrations in America. But of course this may just be the first step in the cultural appropriation intended to turn another "belief based" event or season into just another shop-til-ya-drop commercial event.

So far, this event is more of a Krampus than a Santa. I give it a solid "meh".
  • As a non-Christian who doesn't really care about the spirit of Christmas or having a variation of the same Christmas event every year, I must say that the Pagan theme is by far my favorite part of the current event. I'll take all the goat-themed decorations I can get.
  • I don't mind the Pagan thing at all. It's interesting, but not as a whole event. It's just lacking. It's dark and kind of spooky and I'm in the mood for happy and festive. Oh, well.
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • bluntcard wrote: »
    I don't mind the Pagan thing at all. It's interesting, but not as a whole event. It's just lacking. It's dark and kind of spooky and I'm in the mood for happy and festive. Oh, well.

That's what I'm feeling too ... yes, pagan theme can be quite interesting and entertaining, but it clearly is not in "the holiday spirit" for most people.
  • I hate it. Of all the years, now more than ever we really needed some holiday cheer - not this nonsensical pagan junk. I've been playing for five years and this is the first holiday event I could care less about.

• There's really nothing uplifting about neo-paganism; it has none of the fun and celebration of joy/love/giving that is the actual real-world hallmark of modern day (non-commercial) Christmas celebrations in America. But of course this may just be the first step in the cultural appropriation intended to turn another "belief based" event or season into just another shop-til-ya-drop commercial event.

That's totally not true! Modern pagan religions (at least the Celtic/European-inspired ones) tend to borrow from many traditions, and people choose to focus on different things. But celebrating the return of light, families, friends, feasting, and general joyous conviviality and gratitude are common aspects of pagan winter observances. While Samhain is about death, the veil between worlds, and new beginnings, the Winter Solstice is about the light vanquishing the dark for another turn of the wheel (to get really pagan on ya), which means you PARTY. Celebrating the rebirth of the sun is literally the opposite of dark.

I totally agree about Samhain, though, that would be rad.

• moyaimya
    28 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Christmas is in no way rooted in paganism. Christmas is the day the Church selected to commemorate the birth of Christ. The fact that the Church selected the darkest day of the year to celebrate the greatest Light of the world does not make Christmas in any way a celebration of paganism. The fact that formerly pagan/secular symbols or objects are now used specifically to commemorate and celebrate Jesus Christ in no way makes those objects pagan in their new use. To say so is to completely misunderstand Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

EA has humor that is funny and often irreverent. However, EA has stepped over a line here. First, they have overtly smeared Christians in their opening dialogue to the event. Second, they have taken money from a group of people, like me, who now cannot play the event because it directly violates their religious faith in specific and important ways. If you don't know what these ways are, then you probably aren't affected by them, but, believe me, many people are. This is what I would call DISCRIMINATION. I do not believe EA can plead ignorance on this. Not only that, but you can't get your money back if you bought donuts to play the event. I have tried. I can only describe EA's actions, in my opinion, as reckless and prejudicial. This isn't about fun for them: it is about money.

To top it off, they have politicized the game in a very negative way after the nation and indeed the world have gone through a very divisive election. EA could have used its resources and power to make an event that helped people to lighten up a bit, have some fun, and regain a sense of hope and joy. Instead, they put out an event focusing everyone on darkness and division, generating confusion, hurt, and anger in many game players, as is obvious by reading many comments online. They took a character known for being the voice of reason, love, and tolerance -- who once gave Ralph a Valentine -- and turned her into a bigot in the event's opening dialogue. This is how companies show that they do not understand their social role or responsibility in society.

EA should rectify this immediately. They should put out an update with a character waking up from a bad dream and dump this event. Alternatively, they could give people the choice to continue the event or move to a genuine Christmas holiday event. Most people just want simple, nice things...reindeer, penguins, snowmen. Even people who aren't religious often celebrate Christmas in a secular manner.

I think EA has made a complete mess of their consumer trust and relationship, and shown utter disregard for their sense of corporate social responsibility. I hope you're listening, EA, because this is your mess, and you need to fix it.
    Post edited by moyaimya on
  • moyaimya wrote: »
    This is what I would call DISCRIMINATION.

Sorry, but the Winter 2016 event is not discrimination.
  • moyaimya
    28 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Maybe not to you. I believe it is to me and to others. You cannot "sorry away" someone else's discrimination.
    moyaimya wrote: »
    This is what I would call DISCRIMINATION.

Sorry, but the Winter 2016 event is not discrimination.

• moyaimya wrote: »
    EA has humor that is funny and often irreverent. However, EA has stepped over a line here. First, they have overtly smeared Christians in their opening dialogue to the event. Second, they have taken money from a group of people, like me, who now cannot play the event because it directly violates their religious faith in specific and important ways. If you don't know what these ways are, then you probably aren't affected by them, but, believe me, many people are. This is what I would call DISCRIMINATION. I do not believe EA can plead ignorance on this. Not only that, but you can't get your money back if you bought donuts to play the event. I have tried. I can only describe EA's actions, in my opinion, as reckless and prejudicial. This isn't about fun for them: it is about money.

Oh good grief. Previous Christmas events have been just as reverent towards the birth of Jesus - that is to say, not at all - as this one. But you must not have had an issue, because at least on paper it aligned with your beliefs, if not the beliefs of others (reminder: non-Christians exist). Now the shoe is on the other foot, and you're screaming discrimination? Get a grip. It's a game. You don't have to play. Request a refund from Apple and move on.
  • I like the topic; but I don't like not getting a true Christmas themed event... I'll really miss not getting Christmas here this year. Perhaps it'll lead to one after Winter Solstice??

I liken this to having an All Saints theme instead of a Halloween one in Oct
  • Jonicus7 wrote: »
    I like the topic; but I don't like not getting a true Christmas themed event... I'll really miss not getting Christmas here this year. Perhaps it'll lead to one after Winter Solstice??

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it segued into a more traditional Christmas. Bart complains about not getting regular presents, Homer moans about there only being mead and no beer at the carnival, Marge will agree it's all a little strange, Ned will get up off his fainting couch, and everyone can have Christmas. Solstice is the 21st, after all. You can totally do both!
  • esox42631 wrote: »
    What do you want for Christmas Johnny?
    How about a goat god for your Satanist club and a nice circled pentagram to summon some demons with? I could have lived with a pagan theme, but this crosses the line.

Who besides you said anything about Satan or demons? But yes if that is your religion then you'd be a pagan,just like 100% of all religions are pagan yes by definition 100%
  • If EA has a secret holiday themed surprise, they are hiding it very well. It still was a poor choice to start off this way, so dark and dreary, it seems like a thumb in the face to everyone.
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • moyaimya
    28 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Apple gives refunds only for technical problems like non-delivery of content. All other purchases are non-refundable.

Regarding non-Christians, many celebrate Christmas and also are not actually being overtly smeared in this event.

Past Christmas events were managed much better by EA.
    moyaimya wrote: »

Oh good grief. Previous Christmas events have been just as reverent towards the birth of Jesus - that is to say, not at all - as this one. But you must not have had an issue, because at least on paper it aligned with your beliefs, if not the beliefs of others (reminder: non-Christians exist). Now the shoe is on the other foot, and you're screaming discrimination? Get a grip. It's a game. You don't have to play. Request a refund from Apple and move on.

• Pretty **** so far IMO. Its not that I find the whole topic so much offensive (though I do), but more that it doesn't have anything that I enjoy about Christmas in it.

Want to put some silly goat thing in the game fine... but let me do some fun actual Christmas-y things too, otherwise it just another one of the same boring event (of which there have been plenty lately)