EA Forums - Banner

Where are all these christian fundamentalists coming from?

Replies

• I tried to get my $ back and could not.

Objecting to EAs actions is not cramming anything down anyone's throats.

It's not up to me to educate you on Christmas. Pagan is the ancient Christian word for non-Christians, and there is no unified pagan practice, which even the international pagan foundation acknowledges.

Use of ancient, non-Christian traditions or objects in no way makes Christmas pagan. Christmas is just what it is: a Mass celebrating the birth of Christ.

Try not to tell other people about the meaning of their own faith to them, no matter how much of a faith scoffer you choose to be.
    @moyaimya et al (et al is an intellectual was of saying "the rest of the haters"-for those who don't already know that. The rest are cool

1. this is a freemium game, if you decide to spend money on it, that is entirely on you and your credit card company, not even your God is responsable for that.
    2. EA does not, nor could not be responsible for the, obviously incredible, offense inflicted on you for playing this nasty little pagan event (which you might rightly rot in **** for, sorry dude)
    3. You may not be aware, even having read the Vatican dot com site which of course they put every fact needed for the good catholic to know on, that 90% of the catholic rituals were once Pagan. (Of course now they've been cleansed and are appropriate to utilize to banish the now "satanic" Pagan with. And lastly, and most importantly
    4. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition

While noteworthy but not relevant to you obviously, you spent your money, EA did not come demanding it, that would be the Church tithing. Ask them for your $$ back.

And maybe try to not cram your belief structure down everyone else's throat. Your Satan is not my problem, and EA doesn't owe you absolution for your grievances.

• AirurandoP
    852 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    "I tried to get my $ back and could not."

Can't say I'm surprised

"Objecting to EAs actions is not cramming anything down anyone's throats."

No it's not but the event started almost a week ago and here you are (along with a few others) still talking about the same thing. You didn't like the event and you're not too happy with EA. We get it. We got it the first time you said it. Getting it does not mean we necessarily agree (or have to agree) with you or vice versa. Maybe move on?

"Use of ancient, non-Christian traditions or objects in no way makes Christmas pagan. Christmas is just what it is: a Mass celebrating the birth of Christ. ong) or the winter solstice, (in this case it clearly is) which, also happens to occur every year in winter. "

That is what Christmas is to you. That is not necessarily what Christmas is to others, (as you've acknowledged in another thread, Christmas is also celebrated secularly.)

That said, this is a WINTER event. The clue is in the name (Winter Event 2016.) This may incorporate Christmas or Hannukah (sorry if spelled wrong) or the winter solstice, (in this case it clearly is) which, also happens to occur every year in winter. While I can't speak for EA I believe that "Winter event" sounds more inclusive than "Christmas Event" as, while not everybody experiences Christmas, everybody experiences winter

"Try not to tell other people about the meaning of their own faith to them, no matter how much of a faith scoffer you choose to be."

For clarification, I'm not trying to tell you anything about your faith nor do I expect you to agree with anything I have said. You offered an opinion and I offered an opinion. I don't think mine is more important to yours or vice versa. They are just different as the opinions of others on the forum may be.

And just in case you might mistake me as a "faith scoffer" I'm Catholic, baptised with 14 years of religious education while in school (not trying to blow my own trumpet, just letting you know where I'm coming from.) I'm also Irish so the winter Solstice is also a big part of my Celtic Heritage. Therefore, I find this part of the game interesting and amusing and, as a Catholic Christian, didn't find anything offensive in Lisa's comments. Some people may dislike the event but many do like it.

Finally, apologies to all for bumping the thread.

Post edited by AirurandoP on

mhyhiitfz0jm.jpg

• I just realized I could have just save myself a lot of reading by just watching this video..
  • @AirurandoP couldn't have said it better, thank you. We have a lot of Catholics at our winter solstice/Yule celebration. Especially as ours is the 21st this year and theirs is the 25th always. We drum up the sun and burn the Yule log, some even join in our prayers, chants, dancing and singing (even if they change the words a bit ;)
    @moyaimya the IPF is about as "organized" as we get on a formal level, most of us are proud to be a slightly disorganized spirituality base. We also do not convert, mission, or try to "bring members in" like minds always find each other, we don't need to preach, don't take members money to build churches or whatnot. But don't underestimate the power of my faith!

But just as you said repeatedly, don't try to explain or interpret a faith system you clearly know nothing about.
    I'm not catholic now, but I went through CCD and even practiced novenas (9 days) yearly from 16 till I was 25. I chose to leave on my own with an educated mind and clear understanding and no hate.
    Nothing as loud as the silentmiaow.
  • moyaimya
    28 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    FYI, I'm not actually trying to extend this thread, but people keep asking me things or saying stuff that's kind of outrageous about me or about Christians in general. Bottom line for me is that I think, along with many others, that EA was out of line in many ways on this event. As I Catholic, I will not sacrifice anything to other gods. I've been trying out Hay Day, btw. It's kind of fun.
    AirurandoP wrote: »
    "I tried to get my $ back and could not."

Can't say I'm surprised

"Objecting to EAs actions is not cramming anything down anyone's throats."

No it's not but the event started almost a week ago and here you are (along with a few others) still talking about the same thing. You didn't like the event and you're not too happy with EA. We get it. We got it the first time you said it. Getting it does not mean we necessarily agree (or have to agree) with you or vice versa. Maybe move on?

"Use of ancient, non-Christian traditions or objects in no way makes Christmas pagan. Christmas is just what it is: a Mass celebrating the birth of Christ. ong) or the winter solstice, (in this case it clearly is) which, also happens to occur every year in winter. "

That is what Christmas is to you. That is not necessarily what Christmas is to others (as you've acknowledged in another thread. Christmas is also celebrated secularly.)

That said, this is a WINTER event. The Clue is in the name (Winter Event 2016.) This may incorporate Christmas or Hannukah (sorry if spelled wrong) or the winter solstice, (in this case it clearly is) which, also happens to occur every year in winter. While I can't speak for EA I believe that "Winter event" sounds more inclusive than "Christmas Event" as, while not everybody experiences Christmas, everybody experiences winter

"Try not to tell other people about the meaning of their own faith to them, no matter how much of a faith scoffer you choose to be."

For clarification, I'm not trying to tell you anything about your faith nor do I expect you to agree with anything I have said. You offered an opinion and I offered an opinion. I don't think mine is more important to yours or vice versa. They are just different as the opinions of others on the forum may be.

And just in case you might mistake me as a "faith scoffer" I'm Catholic, baptised with 14 years of religious education while in school (not trying to blow my own trumpet, just letting you know where I'm coming from.) I'm also Irish so the winter Solstice is also a big part of my Celtic Heritage. Therefore, I find this part of the game interesting and amusing and, as a Catholic Christian, didn't find anything offensive in Lisa's comments. Some people may dislike the event but many do.

Finally, apologies to all for bumping the thread.

• I'm a bit late to this party, where's the booze?
  • AirurandoP wrote: »

And just in case you might mistake me as a "faith scoffer" I'm Catholic, baptised with 14 years of religious education while in school (not trying to blow my own trumpet, just letting you know where I'm coming from.) I'm also Irish so the winter Solstice is also a big part of my Celtic Heritage. Therefore, I find this part of the game interesting and amusing and, as a Catholic Christian, didn't find anything offensive in Lisa's comments. Some people may dislike the event but many do like it.
    You'd have thought that might have an impact on moyaimya. So maybe it's not the religion causing a problem...it's the person. Just like always. Some believe what they want to.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • I'm really enjoying this event and not sure where to post this BUT- to the pagans out there- EA's not really potraying paganism even close to accurately are they?? Hhaahahha. I mean this whole event plays like Halloween 2.0 to me. Some of the items make spooky noises when you tap them, the cooking pot conjures a goat skull that laughs with a menacing bent when you tap it, etc. I thought most pagan stuff was Earth based and pretty chill?
  • pbpandapuffs
    118 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    jukan00 wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this event and not sure where to post this BUT- to the pagans out there- EA's not really potraying paganism even close to accurately are they?? Hhaahahha. I mean this whole event plays like Halloween 2.0 to me. Some of the items make spooky noises when you tap them, the cooking pot conjures a goat skull that laughs with a menacing bent when you tap it, etc. I thought most pagan stuff was Earth based and pretty chill?

Basically. Paganism (and I'm talking Celtic/European-inspired) usually features a "horned god", but only Christians thought he represented the Devil. The horned god isn't a malevolent figure. He generally represents the male side of the coin that includes the Triple Goddess. There's also the Yule Goat from Scandinavia, which probably has pre-Christian Norse roots but was incorporated (like so many pagan traditions) into Christian Christmas celebrations. Baphomet, which seems to be where the artists got most of their inspiration for the goat statue, is more connected to the Crusades and modern occultism than any nature-based pagan tradition like Wicca.

As far as any other spooky stuff in Springfield's version of paganism, the actual druids probably engaged in ritual sacrifice, but neo-druids certainly do not (and the two aren't actually connected, anyhow). The 5-pointed star (pentagram) is used in various religious faiths, but inverted - two points up - is most connected to occultism and Satanism from the 18-1900s. Wiccans often incorporate a "pentacle", but that's a five-pointed star with one point up, and has nothing to do with evil or the devil or whatever. Inverted or not, I don't recall pentagrams featuring anywhere in Celtic literature or carvings, so any connection to Celtic/Euro pagan traditions is contemporary, and tenuous at best.

So yeah, the game is taking a lot of misconceptions and unconnected traditions from various periods in history, as well as bits and pieces of modern-day Wicca, neo-Druidism, Satanism, etc, to make a mishmash ren-faire. But when has Springfield ever done something "right"? I'd love a lot more yule log, greenery, and wassail, less Baphomet (which I've never seen pop up in winter solstice celebrations), but I'm taking it in stride. Besides, we got the singing stones, which are one of my favorite decorations ever.
    Post edited by pbpandapuffs on
  • jukan00 wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying this event and not sure where to post this BUT- to the pagans out there- EA's not really potraying paganism even close to accurately are they?? Hhaahahha. I mean this whole event plays like Halloween 2.0 to me. Some of the items make spooky noises when you tap them, the cooking pot conjures a goat skull that laughs with a menacing bent when you tap it, etc. I thought most pagan stuff was Earth based and pretty chill?

Basically. Paganism (and I'm talking Celtic/European-inspired) usually features a "horned god", but only Christians thought he represented the Devil. The horned god isn't a malevolent figure. He generally represents the male side of the coin that includes the Triple Goddess. There's also the Yule Goat from Scandinavia, which probably has pre-Christian Norse roots but was incorporated (like so many pagan traditions) into Christian Christmas celebrations. Baphomet, which seems to be where the artists got most of their inspiration for the goat statue, is more connected to the Crusades and modern occultism than any nature-based pagan tradition like Wicca.

As far as any other spooky stuff in Springfield's version of paganism, the actual druids probably engaged in ritual sacrifice, but neo-druids certainly do not (and the two aren't actually connected, anyhow). The 5-pointed star (pentagram) is used in various religious faiths, but inverted - two points up - is most connected to occultism and Satanism from the 18-1900s. Wiccans often incorporate a "pentacle", but that's a five-pointed star with one point up, and has nothing to do with evil or the devil or whatever. Inverted or not, I don't recall pentagrams featuring anywhere in Celtic literature or carvings, so any connection to Celtic/Euro pagan traditions is contemporary, and tenuous at best.

So yeah, the game is taking a lot of misconceptions and unconnected traditions from various periods in history, as well as bits and pieces of modern-day Wicca, neo-Druidism, Satanism, etc, to make a mismash ren-faire. But when has Springfield ever done something "right"? I'd love a lot more yule log, greenery, and wassail, less Baphomet (which I've never pop up in winter solstice celebrations), but I'm taking it in stride. Besides, we got the singing stones, which are one of my favorite decorations ever.

Thank you for the information! And yeah, copped the singing stones right away. They're great.
  • Catholicism rarely takes the easy and simple road. It's not easy for me not to play this event because I like the game. Trust me, it's very much about my faith. There are no broad interpretations about what the Church says on false gods. It's pretty straightforward actually. Interestingly, the Fox episode on tv this week covered the "pagan carnival" for about 30 seconds at most, and Lisa in no way turned into a Christian-bashing wiccan. So...yeah...Fox knew what to stay away from.
    simp7fan wrote: »
    AirurandoP wrote: »

You'd have thought that might have an impact on moyaimya. So maybe it's not the religion causing a problem...it's the person. Just like always. Some believe what they want to.

• moyaimya wrote: »
    Interestingly, the Fox episode on tv this week covered the "pagan carnival" for about 30 seconds at most, and Lisa in no way turned into a Christian-bashing wiccan. So...yeah...Fox knew what to stay away from.

From the first shot of the festival to Krusty's appearance at the ice skating it was about a minutes. So yeah, more than 30 seconds. And on tv they had Willie rip out the snow heart of a snowman. Imagine if that had happened in the game.

I finally went to see Doctor Strange today. I actually thought of you during it! I wondered if the content would have made you walk out of the theater and demand a refund, lol.
  • I haven't seen the episode yet. I forgot about it.... I'll try to remember to check it out tomorrow.
  • Unlikely that I would walk out of Doctor Strange, unless a character was calling a particular religious group nutjobs and forcing audience members to personally click offerings to idols in order just to watch the show. Then, yeah, I'd leave, and the theatre most likely would give me my money back, no questions asked.

The focus on the festival in the tv show was extremely brief. Also, the fact that a pagan festival was going on in Springfield wasn't even controversial. So what. It's what EA did in the game that was controversial. I think that's pretty much well established at this point.
    moyaimya wrote: »
    Interestingly, the Fox episode on tv this week covered the "pagan carnival" for about 30 seconds at most, and Lisa in no way turned into a Christian-bashing wiccan. So...yeah...Fox knew what to stay away from.

From the first shot of the festival to Krusty's appearance at the ice skating it was about a minutes. So yeah, more than 30 seconds. And on tv they had Willie rip out the snow heart of a snowman. Imagine if that had happened in the game.

I finally went to see Doctor Strange today. I actually thought of you during it! I wondered if the content would have made you walk out of the theater and demand a refund, lol.

• You can't pick and choose what is offensive. If you like the Simpson's that means you laugh at others but can't laugh at yourself. I'm not offended by this event. It's just not what I'd hoped for.
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • bluntcard wrote: »
    You can't pick and choose what is offensive. If you like the Simpson's that means you laugh at others but can't laugh at yourself. I'm not offended by this event. It's just not what I'd hoped for.

Yeah but that Ba'al statue?
    Wasnt that the god that they offered children as sacrifices too?
    Just sayin, penguins dont do that, i mean sure they arent the best parents but at least they have tuxes and look cute.
  • 8compte wrote: »
    Baal (/ˈbeɪl/ bayl; sometimes spelled Bael, Baël (French), Baell) is in 17th century goetic occult writings one of the seven princes of ****. The name is drawn from the Canaanite deity Baal mentioned in the Hebrew Bible as the primary god of the Phoenicians.

In this unholy hierarchy, Baal (usually spelt "Bael" in this context; there is a possibility that the two figures aren't connected) was ranked as the first and principal king in ****, ruling over the East. According to some authors Baal is a Duke, with sixty-six legions of demons under his command.

During the English Puritan period Baal was either compared to Satan or considered his main assistant. According to Francis Barrett he has the power to make those who invoke him invisible, and to some other demonologists his power is stronger in October. According to some sources,[citation needed] he can make people wise, and speaks hoarsely.

While his Semitic predecessor was depicted as a man or a bull,[1] the demon Baal was in grimoire tradition said to appear in the forms of a man, cat, toad, or combinations thereof. An illustration in Collin de Plancy's 1818 book Dictionnaire Infernal placed the heads of the three creatures onto a set of spider legs.[2][3]

So people think this is ok to be in the game simply because hey it's only a game and hey it's the Simpsons? Wow! Clearly this update is based on satanic stuff.

OK, that's what you get when the look at the Wikipedia page for Baal (demon). Looking at the other page for Baal, it shows that there have been hundreds of references to Ba'al, or similar forms, in many different forms of worship, as a more benevolent deity. Not trying to dive into the religious argument, but you at least need to acknowledge that there can be more than one interpretation.
    Baal (/ˈbeɪl/ bayl; sometimes spelled Bael, Baël (French), Baell) is in 17th century goetic occult writings one of the seven princes of ****. The name is drawn from the Canaanite deity Baal mentioned in the Hebrew Bible as the primary god of the Phoenicians.

In this unholy hierarchy, Baal (usually spelt "Bael" in this context; there is a possibility that the two figures aren't connected) was ranked as the first and principal king in ****, ruling over the East. According to some authors Baal is a Duke, with sixty-six legions of demons under his command.

During the English Puritan period Baal was either compared to Satan or considered his main assistant. According to Francis Barrett he has the power to make those who invoke him invisible, and to some other demonologists his power is stronger in October. According to some sources,[citation needed] he can make people wise, and speaks hoarsely.

While his Semitic predecessor was depicted as a man or a bull,[1] the demon Baal was in grimoire tradition said to appear in the forms of a man, cat, toad, or combinations thereof. An illustration in Collin de Plancy's 1818 book Dictionnaire Infernal placed the heads of the three creatures onto a set of spider legs.[2][3]

So people think this is ok to be in the game simply because hey it's only a game and hey it's the Simpsons? Wow! Clearly this update is based on satanic stuff.

OK, that's what you get when the look at the Wikipedia page for Baal (demon). Looking at the other page for Baal, it shows that there have been hundreds of references to Ba'al, or similar forms, in many different forms of worship, as a more benevolent deity. Not trying to dive into the religious argument, but you at least need to acknowledge that there can be more than one interpretation.

Yes and no.....
    cross referencing general details you come up with a handful of possibilites.
    First

latest?cb=20131103141321

second
    The script for said episode says the following:
    The Simpsons as pagans:[Chanting] Blood for Baal! Blood for Baal! Blood for Baal!

[ Lisa's Voiceover ] The Christians changed their calendar and ridiculed those who didn't.

Pagan Homer: Happy New Year!

Ned Flanders (the Christians): Hi-ho, pagans. New Year's was three months ago, but here's a present anyhoo. It's ram's blood for your godless ceremony.

[Snakes pop out of can between Homer and Marge Pagan]

[ Both Screaming ]

[Ned Laughing]

Ned Flanders (the Christians): April Fools'! [ Laughing ]

[ Pagan Homer Growls ]

[Flanders Family is tied up to be set on fire]

The Simpsons as pagans:[ Chanting ] Now who's laughing? Now who's laughing?

Personal opinion?

Too many inconsistencies, yes you are right there are many version of Ba'al, however a new prize (the Ba'al Pit to be specific) may shed some light to this debacle.

If im not mistaken the actual Ba'al pit was a pit of sacrificial fires....which given the fact that the "pagan" simpsons set the "christian" flanders on fire kinda makes sense.

PRoblems occurs in the following:

Christians changed their calendar
    When did this happen? according to the Aprils Fool Story the year is 1022, is it BC or AD?
    Those in BC did not call themselves "christians" this didnt happen until Jesus appeared and corrected the jewish teachings, creating a new group that called themselves CHRISTians, if i have to explain why you probably shouldnt continue reading.... So yeah they arent christians, if we are talking about the ones who were waiting for the messiah (who'd eventually be jesus) than we are most likely talking about the Israelite or the hebrews.

It CANT be AD cause of one simple fact:
    The chrisitans DIDNT change their calendar......in 1022, it was closer to 34 AD remember Ceasar and the whole July thing? nearing the end of the Roman empire they started adopting certain aspects of christianity, and of course the "Old" calendar (based of off harvests) was gotten rid of.
    Secondly, the Rams blood, it is very true that hebrews/Israelites used to make sacrifical offerings, even in jesus day, however around his time sacrifices started becoming more simple and people were doing the bare minimum choosing to buy sacrfices in the temple instead (turtle doves and the changing tables remember?) they still sacrifced the rams but only during larger festivals, once they became "christians" sacrificial offerings were removed you know the wine is jesus blood and body of christ stuff? the wine and the crackers became the new "sacrifice".

So it makes much more sense for it to have been BC, there were specific requirements for the sacrifice as blood was considered sacred it kinda makes sense they DIDNT give it to the pagans, but more importantly checking 1022 BC versions of Ba'al show a closer approx imitation of the Ba'al that is depicted.
    Not to mention the Blood sacrifice ritual, possibilities include:
    Ba'al Hammon:
    His worshippers would sometimes burn newborn babies to him as sacrifice, i dont want to mention the worse aspects of it as it is very dark and metal (also gross)

Ba'al Hadad
    The lame wad god who couldnt set a bull sacrifice on fire, he lost to yaweh when elijah called on him to set his (Yawehs) sacrifice on fire, jezabel tried to get people to switch over to his (Ba'al) worship. Thus the contest was made of which god could set there respective sacrifice on fire.
    or
    Ba'al Moloch
    Also known for child sacrifice generally fire, Rabbinical tradition depicted Moloch as a bronze statue heated with fire into which the victims were thrown. This has been associated with reports by Greco-Roman authors on the child sacrifices in Carthage to Baal Hammon.

These Deities known as Ba'al are the most common during the period 1022 BC that also had "Fire pits/sacrifices" had blood sacrifices and fit the general theme.

So yeah man, DARK as fudge, unholy Shiitake mushrooms batman!
    Shoulda gone with penguins
    Just sayin.
  • ^^ TLDR: Penguins!

:grimace:
    Coincidence when the spirit cooking Podesta emails came out showing worship to moloch was ongoing that now the Winter update revolves around Moloch? Gag?
    778a77f8d842a8b370e387fe1c0d9a41.jpg