EA Forums - Banner

Monorail strategy during events

Prev13
AirurandoP
852 posts Member
edited December 2016
The weekly monorail tasks are almost upon us again and as with most other events, most of the characters needed are also needed for producing other resources for the winter event.

With this in mind, for those of us who still like to produce monorail tracks for whatever reason, what is your preferred strategy for allocating characters to the monorail during events?

1. Use all characters for Monorail to get it out of the way as quickly as possible.
2. Prioritise the event so as to minimise desruption of event resource production
3. Skip the Monorail during the event. Why?

For me I favour option one as I can finish the collecting part in half a day freeing up characters for the event while replenishing resources for the following weeks monorail tasks.

P.S. If you don't usually do the monorail tasks for whatever reason, this probably isn't a thread for you. While you may like to share why you don't like the grind or prefer easier ways to get donuts etc. it doesn't really add much to this topic. So it might be an idea to start a different thread on that. ;)

Edit: If you're reading this looking for strategy suggestions #2 is the run away leader in terms of popularity with the more enthusiastic monorailers favouring #1
Post edited by AirurandoP on

mhyhiitfz0jm.jpg

Replies

• 2 for sure everytime. Can always switch gears later by Sun or Mon if I think I'm not gonna make it.

• #2... even with fewer characters working the railyard during an event, it's still easy to knock out in a day (two tops), so I like to keep the max event resources rolling in while that's going on to hit the most bonus rounds as possible.

• #2 also. After I get the donuts I then sneak in some time to overfill them. The Metal isn't so bad at just an hour, and the Plastic doesn't keep me up TOO late, but by the time the Glass is finished I'm about to fall asleep in my chair.
  • C0rgano wrote: »
    #2... even with fewer characters working the railyard during an event, it's still easy to knock out in a day (two tops), so I like to keep the max event resources rolling in while that's going on to hit the most bonus rounds as possible.

Does it create much more bonus rounds for you? How long does it normally take you to complete the monorail tasks (including relenishing?)

mhyhiitfz0jm.jpg

• AirurandoP
    852 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    wadebear wrote: »
    #2 also. After I get the donuts I then sneak in some time to overfill them. The Metal isn't so bad at just an hour, and the Plastic doesn't keep me up TOO late, but by the time the Glass is finished I'm about to fall asleep in my chair.

I usually send everyone back to event task once metal and plastic are complete (Hippie and Jessie aside) while waiting on the glass to replenish. I leave the dump replenishment until the following morning if I have to.

mhyhiitfz0jm.jpg

• Anybody with an event tasks stays on that task. The others work on the monorail. It takes longer, but the monorail doesn't take too much longer to complete.
  • meinaz wrote: »
    Anybody with an event tasks stays on that task. The others work on the monorail. It takes longer, but the monorail doesn't take too much longer to complete.

Good to know. Might actually switch up this week

mhyhiitfz0jm.jpg

• Like everyone else seems to being saying, Option #2. It takes me maybe an extra day to complete the monorail tasks.
  • meinaz wrote: »
    Anybody with an event tasks stays on that task. The others work on the monorail. It takes longer, but the monorail doesn't take too much longer to complete.

This is what I do also. I might steal the trash pickers until the dump is full, that rarely takes more than a couple of minutes.

• its about that time again! im done with act 1 so, i can have monorail characters free, just have to remember in the morning :D

fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • Linkwick
    956 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I normally do option #2. Still have:
    • Metal - 3/5 freemiums (+ premium)
    • Plastic - 2/5 freemiums (+ premium)
    • Glass - 1/5 freemiums (+ premium)
    Plus I have both Jesse & Hippie. Can see how Glass would be an issue for those without premiums or multi-types though...

I'll get it all done within 24-48hrs, & then do one top-up with everyone (including Event-task characters) to take it to the max above storage limits. Glad that it's only 25k now when you get situations like this.
  • Option #2. I never take characters off of earning event currency to work at the dump, not even to replenish. I just use whoever is available. It seems to work because I always get done in 2 days max.
  • AirurandoP wrote: »
    C0rgano wrote: »
    #2... even with fewer characters working the railyard during an event, it's still easy to knock out in a day (two tops), so I like to keep the max event resources rolling in while that's going on to hit the most bonus rounds as possible.

Does it create much more bonus rounds for you? How long does it normally take you to complete the monorail tasks (including relenishing?)

normal railyard - typically get started around 5am when I get up, and I'm done (including overstocking for next week) by 5pm.... that's with everyone on railyard task.

how many extra bonus rounds? honestly I can't answer that one 'cause I haven't tried it the other way to compare.... probably not more than one or two at the most if I had to guess (all depends on the bonus goal per round).

• I do option #2. Takes me an extra day or so, also have all premiums for the rail. Plus I try to stockpile it up to the highest the week prior to prepare (normally do each material separately so it doesn't feel as much of a grind and to get jesse and hippie at all).
  • Linkwick wrote: »
    <snip>
    Plus I have both Jesse & Hippie. Can see how Glass would be an issue for those without premiums or multi-types though...

I'll get it all done within 24-48hrs, & then do one top-up with everyone (including Event-task characters) to take it to the max above storage limits. Glad that it's only 25k now when you get situations like this.

This is why pre-filling at the end of the week is important, especially now that they lowered the total required blueprints to 25k. Going in with 155 glass, some weeks I don't even need to replenish it at all to get to the 5 donut prize at the end of the monorail tasks.
  • I go with #2 as well. I have 1 premium character, hippy dude, and lisa's recycle center. So I just let it go along. Might takes the week but I get it done including refill. I'm with @mystery2mi and the others about all hands on currancy deck :)
    Love those donuts though and hoping to one day have a massive awesome rail like @surefirein93 :)
    Nothing as loud as the silentmiaow.
  • #2 during Halloween, but I had more characters not otherwise engaged, so I could still plug along on the monorail and finish just fine. But this time only Quimby isn't doing event tasks -I have no premium monorail characters/buildings. Everything is full except glass (c'mon, Mayor!!) so that will help a little. But considering I'm on my way to the Parson, seems like sticking with event bonuts will serve me better in the long run (I need that Murderhorn already!).
  • dc4cc22aeeaeab8d6591d13e89eeb723.jpg

Best choice by far (100% not Sarcasm)
    see, in the end it'll get finished anyways (it being monorail), slow and steady wins the race.
    There are exceptions to this of course, but they are highly specific cases (Ex Halloween 2015, Quest specific questlines, Glass tasks etc.) however they are often exceptions not the rule.
    Bigger note:
    The amounts got nerfed BIG time, 5 tracks + 5 donuts used to be what 70000?
    Now its approximately 25000 or 75000 total for all the tasks? in the old mode id barely be done with the 3rd task going on my fourth with that amount, AND now Lisas recycling plant pays out Blueprints?

Premium wise its a sit and wait situations, freemium is a bit more complicated.
    Did you do the original update?
    Did you get the Hippie?
    If you did chances are it'll be a lot easier for you to "fill in" for certain characters by using the hippie, if you have Jesse it just becomes easier.
    For me and many others, Jesse Grass is an extremely versatile character and a must buy, i'd suggest him for anyone struggling with the monorail (he eventually pays for himself)

Two main problems are Metal and Glass, Metal tasks are fairly common and there respective characters are used very often for quests (pro it takes 1 hr to make), Glass on the other hand are a rarer (but higher paying out ) task which takes 3 hours to generate on the plus side with a full team it will be completely filled in no time at all even with only freemium characters, plastic is balanced out 2 hours to generate and those characters are rarely but somewhat used, cap for plastic is feasible giving you enough legroom to reach it but not to simple so as to leave those characters idle for to long.

In conclusion if you want to maximize your towns efficiency go for number two, its basically killing two McFlys with the same gun, and in the end isnt that whats most important?

The answer is no.
    Penguins are more important.
    Give us Penguins EA.
    tumblr_nl4t5cZ6TM1s94lfqo8_400.gif
  • Number two.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • I will prioritise the railyard this morning with a an early start. Usually only lasts me about 24 hours. I already have the parson, so not too bad.
    iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone XR (Red product)