EA Forums - Banner

House farmers were right

Replies

• murdoc158
    17 posts
    edited February 2013
    Many people don't like house farmers but I think its their way of enjoying the game.

I am a blue house farmer and I didnt want to be a farmer at first, but due to expensive buildings

I started to farm houses, and i dont regret.

My goal is to get every lands and earn money for that escalator things.

For people who might want to know how much I earn a day is 150k per 8 hours.

so I earn like 450k~500k per day.

When I reach my goal, i am going to sell all blue houses and decorate my town.

Wow, how many houses are in your farm?? I was pulling in $110k per 24 hours but decided that since "Camp Krusty" hasn't come around yet to use that land and pull in some extra $ with some more houses.
  • capnfatback
    71 posts Member
    edited February 2013

My point is towards the content if the OP. HE WANTS everything ASAP and doesn't want to wait. The entire purpose of the game (from EAs perspective) is to keep you in it for as long as possible, and to spend your $$. As he stated, he doesn't want to wait months. Guess what, we all waited months to build; EA is not singling you out. From the players perspective, there are many "purposes to the game." For most, it's a constant struggle to make their town aesthetically pleasing and constantly try to "one up" people (see the Burns Manor pic thread..lol). If people want to spend a ton of time in the game building up, that's great. Ive been there, and done that, and will probably be there again. personally, i find this boring and repetitive. Many other people want to get as much possible while spending as little time in the game as possible. Nothing wrong with that either. The ego-centricity of the statements like "house farming sucks because I don't like the way it looks" annoy me for their immaturity and controlling nature. Like I've said in multiple threads like this, "to each their own." I, however, actually mean it, unlike a large % of people who type it. Im Just giving a voice to the minority;everyone loves jumping in on a controversial topic when the majority posting agree with them. There are many means to an "end" in this game, and it's funny to see people get their panties in a bunch because people want to get their a little faster by investing.

No worries Peru, you've made my favorite post ever in this forum (the friends glitch masturbating comment!). For that, I can never have ill-will towards you, even if you deleted me and left flaming dog-doo on my porch! You do have some "unnecessary houses" though, as does the person who agreed with your statement. Not "farms", but duplicates, and I'd deem those to be "unnecessary." Do I care? Absolutely not, even if I tried to avoid that when my city was "nice."

Sorry if all of that has been said; I didn't bother reading all of this thread.

I'd suggest that a thread titled "House farmers was right" seemed to set an argumentative and--if you consider the initial post--defeated tone. I realize that I'm a neophyte here; however, I would argue that any position that states "house farming sucks because I don't like the way it looks" is based on a the person's value of aesthetics, which is not intrinsically ego-centric nor immature. Consider that most compliments on this forum come as a result of what people do with the space they have. Certainly in my case, I am envious not of those neighbors who accrue money quickly by house farming, but I do not linger in their towns. I AM envious of those who have unique and creative visions for the limited material we are given in the game.

Not looking to pick fights--just throwing in my two donuts.
  • Ankarstroom
    228 posts
    edited February 2013
    I neither promote or appreciate house farming but with little or no premium content its hard to keep up with updates and at the same time continue to expand at a reasonable rate and add decorations (tons of them). Of course it is possible to progress slowly but I intend to at least be able to afford new content with a few days of tapping.

Also without the premium buildings its hard to make all that hard earned space justice, but I hope everyone can recognize the extra effort needed to make your town "stand out" without the premium content.

Therefore I don't mind to add duplicates and for aesthetic reasons I prefer the white house. I don't see any need to rush for all land so I don't go for the optimal cash/land but rather go for a good looking, but extended, residential part of my town. Instead of spending time on constantly keeping everyone on 1 hour task I can select the (outdoor) tasks I like and the extra income let me spend more time decorating...

I prefer to have my duplicates done with delicacy...

7a16889f61301ab473fa9a2117ef1206_zpsd6f89da3.jpg

..and you won't find anything like this blue house farm in my town and if I come upon a neighbor with something similar I expect the money it yields is invested in something extraordinary.

edebeef4056c598383832baca68fa8c9_zps8462ab39.jpg
  • linguo60
    271 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Without farms (which I never had, and I have gotten rid of half my duplicate houses as well) I can earn 20-30k a day depending on how often I check. I had enough saved for escalator, and now I will take my time. With buying land and decorations and new buildings I assume it will take me 1-2 months to get to the skyscraper, depending on what else they release. It'll be a nice reward when I get there, but I will not build a farm.

As to ankarstroom's post, I have seen some nice white house neighborhoods, and might eventually even build one (towns need places for people to live), but I doubt they would really make enormous amounts of money. Which is fine.
  • jbillotte
    267 posts
    edited February 2013
    I only put down my house farm when im redoing my town and need some money quick.
  • Simpsons00001
    729 posts Member
    edited February 2013

I'd suggest that a thread titled "House farmers was right" seemed to set an argumentative and--if you consider the initial post--defeated tone. I realize that I'm a neophyte here; however, I would argue that any position that states "house farming sucks because I don't like the way it looks" is based on a the person's value of aesthetics, which is not intrinsically ego-centric nor immature. Consider that most compliments on this forum come as a result of what people do with the space they have. Certainly in my case, I am envious not of those neighbors who accrue money quickly by house farming, but I do not linger in their towns. I AM envious of those who have unique and creative visions for the limited material we are given in the game.

Not looking to pick fights--just throwing in my two donuts.

Welcome neophyte! It's nice to have a new user with a thought process. In a way, I agree with part of the bolded point you made; not liking something isn't immature, it's the negative statements that are immature. As for others cities, I'm not envious of anyone (with the possible exception of those with tons of premium stuff decorations.)

@ anark - I really hope that's a picture of my town!
  • capnfatback
    71 posts Member
    edited February 2013

Welcome neophyte! It's nice to have a new user with a thought process. In a way, I agree with part of the bolded point you made; not liking something isn't immature, it's the negative statements that are immature. As for others cities, I'm not envious of anyone (with the possible exception of those with tons of premium stuff decorations.)
    Thanks for the welcome, you entrenched libertine, you. For the record, I get why people house farm--it's just not for me.
  • Ankarstroom
    228 posts
    edited February 2013

I'm glad you notice, you mentioning a blue house farm sounded like an invitation to take that shot. So beware I'm watching you ;) Expecting something extraordinary (and yes, a 13x13 blue house form would be a shocking sight)!

A great man once said, "to each their own"...
  • pbpandapuffs
    118 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm sure this has been said elsewhere on the forum, but just a reminder, speaking to the concern that "everything will be more expensive now"...the escalator and the skyscraper are obviously intended to be silly money sinks for maxed out players with money burning a hole in their pockets. If you recall the end of the monorail episode, Marge says "And that was the only folly the people of Springfield ever took on... Except for the Popsicle stick skyscraper, and that 50 ft magnifying glass, and the escalator to nowhere."

And thus, that is exactly what they are in the game; ridiculous, expensive projects with no practical value, meant to take in the suckers - just like the poor idiots of Springfield. They're obviously optional, they have no related tasks (and likely never will), are ludicrously expensive, and to many peoples' eyes, ugly.

Does that mean we shouldn't want them? Of course not. I've got the escalator myself :lol:The point is, these buildings are total outliers. They are in no way a portent for future real estate prices in the game.

That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.
  • BDIHP
    189 posts
    edited February 2013
    I have 8 (pink? purple?) houses in the back of my town that look like condos. I like them. They are right next to the school and they look like a condo complex next to a school that you see often.

I had a brown house farm early in the game - 25 houses. I was ashamed but I played all day, I could get money with it and I knew it was going when I got up in the game. It did.

I used the glitch, carefully. I played late at night in my world (CA) and didn't tap more than ten times. I built my nest egg up to 1 mill, and that assured me that anything coming my way, I could buy. I stopped entering towns, stopped the tapping and just had fun.

Now, I have 1,070,000. I want the million dollar items but I don't want to be left with only 70k. So, I either house farm or not have that glorious popsicle stick tower droppiing sticks on those below, or have the escalator that drops people into the netherworld of my iDevices......

I love my little town. It is not the best on this forum but it is good compared to many I see. I hate to wreck it. But, I may have no choice. How sad.

• doctoru2
    291 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    This thread has way too much math, calculations, and hot tempers for my tastes.

I just like pretty things, I like pretty people, and I want to look at pretty towns. You can have an ugly town as long as I think you are a pretty person (since this is the internet that would mean that I like you! LOL).

When I say I don't care, I mean it.

I don't care.

I only responded because I wanted the OP to know that they didn't have to house farm, they aren't being forced into it. You can get everything if you are patient.

I am fortunate enough to be neigbor-eenos with Lissarv and love the Springfield. It's SOOOO big. :) But it's nice to see what having all the land looks like and it'll be interesting to see how that town changes as the game advances.

When I first started getting neighbor-eenos, I saw these house farms. It took me a few seconds to realize their goal. They are ugly, but if they do the job then that's fine. I don't house farm, but I have my share of houses. I just prefer the houses to all be part of my town, with little yards and trees. By Level 25+, one should be making enough $$ to eliminate the house farms.

As for the escalator and skyscraper, I have only one. The other will be a goal. And I'm happy to have that goal. Sometimes when all the tasks are done and I'm happy with my town or the game keeps crashing, there's not a lot to do with the game. Now I have a reason to keep collecting $$ and visiting friends. :)
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    doctoru2 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:
    This thread has way too much math, calculations, and hot tempers for my tastes.

I just like pretty things, I like pretty people, and I want to look at pretty towns. You can have an ugly town as long as I think you are a pretty person (since this is the internet that would mean that I like you! LOL).

When I say I don't care, I mean it.

I don't care.

I only responded because I wanted the OP to know that they didn't have to house farm, they aren't being forced into it. You can get everything if you are patient.

I am fortunate enough to be neigbor-eenos with Lissarv and love the Springfield. It's SOOOO big. :) But it's nice to see what having all the land looks like and it'll be interesting to see how that town changes as the game advances.

When I first started getting neighbor-eenos, I saw these house farms. It took me a few seconds to realize their goal. They are ugly, but if they do the job then that's fine. I don't house farm, but I have my share of houses. I just prefer the houses to all be part of my town, with little yards and trees. By Level 25+, one should be making enough $$ to eliminate the house farms.

As for the escalator and skyscraper, I have only one. The other will be a goal. And I'm happy to have that goal. Sometimes when all the tasks are done and I'm happy with my town or the game keeps crashing, there's not a lot to do with the game. Now I have a reason to keep collecting $$ and visiting friends. :)

Awwww......you are so sweet!

Did you see where I tucked my escalator away? You can barely notice it! I think I managed to mostly hide it and it fits. Looks like they are disappearing into a hole at the foot of the mountain.

I've been looking at my town and I do have that one empty row left and figured I could shrink down the land around my houses. They are rather land hungry, my few houses lol.

I don't understand the purists who say you can only have one of each house. But...but....this is supposed to be a town. Wouldn't there be multiple houses? We can't help it if the developers only gave us so many house options.
  • RSommons
    785 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Well nines, I was excited to see what you were doing with this new farm. So I logged in and...crash. Logged in again, grabbed some cards and went to look again....crash. Maybe when they are built there will be more stability.

Also,
    nine9nines wrote:
    The only question now is, "Why wouldn't you house farm?"

Aesthetics is the only answer. And unfortunately, you can't have everything AND aesthetics anymore. You have to decide.

I have seen some aesthetically pleasing house farms. I've seen concentric boxes of houses closing in on a central town, each "box" a different color of house. I've seen a colorfully jumbled neighborhood, I've even seen huge letters spelled out with houses (Where is the "show us your house farm" thread?). Quite frankly the house farm towns can be a nice break in the monotony of visiting 100 towns.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    RSommons wrote:
    I have seen some aesthetically pleasing house farms. I've seen concentric boxes of houses closing in on a central town, each "box" a different color of house. I've seen a colorfully jumbled neighborhood, I've even seen huge letters spelled out with houses (Where is the "show us your house farm" thread?). Quite frankly the house farm towns can be a nice break in the monotony of visiting 100 towns.

Are you friends with my other Springfield? LOL

I did rows of houses with trees in between, they form a U. The inner U is one color of houses and the next U is another color and the final U is another color. In the middle of the U is the Simpsons house up on a hedge "hill". I think it looks kind of cool. There are about 25-30 houses and the neighborhood takes up a big chunk of land because there are spaces between the houses and an alleyway for the trash trucks behind them along with roads to make the Us.
  • doctoru2
    291 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    Awwww......you are so sweet!

Did you see where I tucked my escalator away? You can barely notice it! I think I managed to mostly hide it and it fits. Looks like they are disappearing into a hole at the foot of the mountain.

I've been looking at my town and I do have that one empty row left and figured I could shrink down the land around my houses. They are rather land hungry, my few houses lol.

I don't understand the purists who say you can only have one of each house. But...but....this is supposed to be a town. Wouldn't there be multiple houses? We can't help it if the developers only gave us so many house options.

I know you worked hard to get all the squares. As a neighbor sometimes I'm like, "now where the heck did that go?" LOL!

I'll take a look soon to check out your new Springfield. I loved your suggestion of using the escalator to "feed" the volcano (like a sacrifice). My town required minimal arrangement to make that happen, so it was done. My ultimate goal was to have the escalator lead to the top of the skyscraper (as others have done), but as it will be a while before I have the $ for that, I like a role for the escalator. Before, it was in the middle of my town - not a bad spot as I had benches and tables for people to watch the "action". But it's better where it is now (and I still have the benches and tables). :)

As for only one of each house - that's silly. Real life housing construction doesn't look like this (at least in more modern eras). So why in a fake town? I may mix in a few more cheap houses in the future (in my "poor section") but that's for later.
  • Simpsons00001
    729 posts Member
    edited February 2013

I'm glad you notice, you mentioning a blue house farm sounded like an invitation to take that shot. So beware I'm watching you ;) Expecting something extraordinary (and yes, a 13x13 blue house form would be a shocking sight)!

A great man once said, "to each their own"...

I would have been insulted if you HADN'T used a pic from my town!!! This is a classic "eye of the beholder" moment. You posted that picture as a "shot." The first time I saw a city with a farm like that, I thought "Holy ****, that guy is making more money logging in once every 8 hours than I do sending all my characters on constant 1 hour tasks all day. I'm an idiot!" Reminds me of this video: (35 seconds is where the quote I'm referring to starts):

(I realize noone called me a **** bag (yet), and I'm not calling anyone that either. Just a funny "eye of the beholder" example!)

I laugh at being told how ugly my town is, especially after having a very elaborate town for so long. And ESPECIALLY when no one will ever mention how my entire city is set up FOR MY FRIENDS! Do you think I want every Valentine's Card Building dead center? Probably not. Granted, I'm in a redesign (sort of, not really motivated), but I can't believe friends even see those blue houses; there's no reason to scroll more than a block or two ATM, unless all my cards are gone, and I don't think I have enough friends for that to happen. If you're going to insult my farms, it would be homeostatic to also thank me for only taking up 5 seconds of your time when you visit! Those damn selfish farmers!!!
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    doctoru2 wrote:
    I loved your suggestion of using the escalator to "feed" the volcano (like a sacrifice). My town required minimal arrangement to make that happen, so it was done. My ultimate goal was to have the escalator lead to the top of the skyscraper (as others have done), but as it will be a while before I have the $ for that, I like a role for the escalator. Before, it was in the middle of my town - not a bad spot as I had benches and tables for people to watch the "action". But it's better where it is now (and I still have the benches and tables). :)

OH! I LOVE IT!!!

I just went to look, awesome! Much better than what I had imagined, you should screenshot and post it. I love the ray gun and the placement of everything. You've achieved an outstanding allusion.
  • brenner_yes
    1156 posts
    edited February 2013

I laugh at being told how ugly my town is, especially after having a very elaborate town for so long. And ESPECIALLY when no one will ever mention how my entire city is set up FOR MY FRIENDS! Do you think I want every Valentine's Card Building dead center? Probably not. Granted, I'm in a redesign (sort of, not really motivated), but I can't believe friends even see those blue houses; there's no reason to scroll more than a block or two ATM, unless all my cards are gone, and I don't think I have enough friends for that to happen. If you're going to insult my farms, it would be homeostatic to also thank me for only taking up 5 seconds of your time when you visit! Those damn selfish farmers!!!

Im very thankful for that whenever I visit your town :mrgreen:
  • frankenjacko
    237 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I disagree. If you are getting big ticket item, chances are money is not being spent in other places. So it won't make that big of a difference whether you have 50 or 100 houses. In the end, the item will still be there. The farmers may just get it faster then you.
  • doctoru2
    291 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    doctoru2 wrote:
    I loved your suggestion of using the escalator to "feed" the volcano (like a sacrifice). My town required minimal arrangement to make that happen, so it was done. My ultimate goal was to have the escalator lead to the top of the skyscraper (as others have done), but as it will be a while before I have the $ for that, I like a role for the escalator. Before, it was in the middle of my town - not a bad spot as I had benches and tables for people to watch the "action". But it's better where it is now (and I still have the benches and tables). :)

OH! I LOVE IT!!!

I just went to look, awesome! Much better than what I had imagined, you should screenshot and post it. I love the ray gun and the placement of everything. You've achieved an outstanding allusion.

*blush*

Why thank you! But I have to give you credit for the idea.

The illusion does work well as the falling characters just "disappear" into the open volcano. And the ray gun was already there - but not it looks like they might be fired at as they ride up. LOL!

Even though the escalator doesn't pay anything, I love watching it. This is a true guilty pleasure. :mrgreen:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!