EA Forums - Banner

My money gets negative all the time. What can I do?

2Next

Replies

• I’m maintaining that the game is in reality correctly tracking user in-game cash amounts. It just displays incorrectly once it reaches a certain threshold value. As an addendum, I’m certainly willing to be shown that I’m in error on this last point. I haven’t reached this cap myself (nor am I likely to in the near future), so I haven’t had the opportunity to test it. I’m relying solely on what posters in previous threads have stated.

Agreed :)

You got a great looking town~168sean... Checked out your town, WOW! ~daved
  • The only way the game will actually lose track or your in-game cash is if you increase your cash level past the $2.1B so that it goes negative (caused because the final bit is used as a sign bit), and continue to accrue more money so that your cash level increases past zero again. So basically, you can accumulate over $4B without losing anything.

Best bet is to just spend recklessly on Rat Trap Trucks, aspirational items, and whatever else is expensive, then selling back for a loss. It will take time, but you should be able to keep ahead of your earnings if you buy and sell a couple $10M items each time you log in to collect.
  • I never tested. Can we spend more money when it's all negative? I'm afraid when I log back in it crashes or make me stay in negative until it earns back to positive. One round of collection and tasks is 15 to 20 mil now. It will take me forever to bounce back if it stays negative. Don't want to test glitches on my game here. but the aspirational buying and selling fast method works. I cleaned up my town for the first time in 2 months. Thanks. Guess I can play again. And to answer to one of you ur questions above, yes my multiplier is high (over 6k) but I stopped trying to up it any further since I constantly hit the warning for deco limit. As for 200 trucks at a time, even if you hit the deco limit warning around 6k ish you still can place items. I tucked away all my house farms so made some more rooms and got rid of any useless decors. So my town is... Yes ugly... Congested, but better now with new land. Still wish EA to up cash limit and make donut boxes go faster.
    Thanks to all who answered here!
  • I'm currently at $585M
    I never tested. Can we spend more money when it's all negative? I'm afraid when I log back in it crashes or make me stay in negative until it earns back to positive. One round of collection and tasks is 15 to 20 mil now. It will take me forever to bounce back if it stays negative. Don't want to test glitches on my game here. but the aspirational buying and selling fast method works. I cleaned up my town for the first time in 2 months. Thanks. Guess I can play again. And to answer to one of you ur questions above, yes my multiplier is high (over 6k) but I stopped trying to up it any further since I constantly hit the warning for deco limit. As for 200 trucks at a time, even if you hit the deco limit warning around 6k ish you still can place items. I tucked away all my house farms so made some more rooms and got rid of any useless decors. So my town is... Yes ugly... Congested, but better now with new land. Still wish EA to up cash limit and make donut boxes go faster.

Just wondering.. why didn't you stop collecting on bldgs & sending characters out on jobs? That would seem like the first thing to do.

And I'm far from reaching the levels you're at (I'm currently just a shade under 3000%) but I have experienced the "max limit" number of items warning several times. I'm not referring to the "your game might get wonky if you keep putting out more items". I'm talking about the total inability to place any item in the game.

Something doesn't sound just quite right to me.
  • I never tested. Can we spend more money when it's all negative? I'm afraid when I log back in it crashes or make me stay in negative until it earns back to positive. One round of collection and tasks is 15 to 20 mil now. It will take me forever to bounce back if it stays negative. Don't want to test glitches on my game here. but the aspirational buying and selling fast method works. I cleaned up my town for the first time in 2 months. Thanks. Guess I can play again. And to answer to one of you ur questions above, yes my multiplier is high (over 6k) but I stopped trying to up it any further since I constantly hit the warning for deco limit. As for 200 trucks at a time, even if you hit the deco limit warning around 6k ish you still can place items. I tucked away all my house farms so made some more rooms and got rid of any useless decors. So my town is... Yes ugly... Congested, but better now with new land. Still wish EA to up cash limit and make donut boxes go faster.

Some time ago, there was another thread about this and the answer was yes, you can spend money when you're negative and it will roll back to the positive - the same mechanism as going from +2B to -2B, only in reverse.

I don't think the money 'limit' will ever be changed because, as mentioned elsewhere, it would require them to basically re-write the code for much of the game. It may seem as simple as changing how they define the variable from 32-bit signed to 64-bit, but that's assuming that there are no interactions with other variables which could result in illegal operations. It also assumes that the programming platform and all devices that the game supports are able to use the 64-bit integer type (although I think by now all should). All-in-all, it ends up being a huge headache for them to solve a problem that an extremely small fraction of the users will encounter.
  • An easy solution...
    1. Nuke
    2. Don't Regen your XP Collider and wait for it to expire
    3. Keep buying blood mobiles or anything expensive and sell them.

With your Collider off and everything in storage you will not many bonus boxes at all compared to what you get now. You'll still get tons of donuts but with far less delays because of the bonus boxes

4. When you get down to 1bn or Less, stop
    5. Rebuild your town. Leave unnecessary things, like the hundreds of news Vans I'm sure you have, in your inventory. Have fun and don't focus on getting everything back out, especially things with multipliers that you have duplicates of
    6. Play again. Leave XP Collider off

• KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    I never tested. Can we spend more money when it's all negative? I'm afraid when I log back in it crashes or make me stay in negative until it earns back to positive. One round of collection and tasks is 15 to 20 mil now. It will take me forever to bounce back if it stays negative. Don't want to test glitches on my game here. but the aspirational buying and selling fast method works. I cleaned up my town for the first time in 2 months. Thanks. Guess I can play again. And to answer to one of you ur questions above, yes my multiplier is high (over 6k) but I stopped trying to up it any further since I constantly hit the warning for deco limit. As for 200 trucks at a time, even if you hit the deco limit warning around 6k ish you still can place items. I tucked away all my house farms so made some more rooms and got rid of any useless decors. So my town is... Yes ugly... Congested, but better now with new land. Still wish EA to up cash limit and make donut boxes go faster.

Some time ago, there was another thread about this and the answer was yes, you can spend money when you're negative and it will roll back to the positive - the same mechanism as going from +2B to -2B, only in reverse.

I think that no matter how often or how clearly you say this, there will continue to exist a small group of users who won’t “get it” and who will persist in thinking that exceeding the “cap” (for want of a better term) will consume their in-game cash.

• As someone with negative money I can say that I have never encountered a problem spending my money.

I would like to point out that everyone is wrong about the inability for EA to display cash amounts above 2.1 billion as a positive number. Tapped Out already displays your cash correctly on some screens, yet incorrectly shows negative on other pages. The fix is just to copy the display code from a correct page to all the incorrect ones.
  • Jonalinn wrote: »
    I had no idea there was a money cap :o

keQng11.jpg large size
  • AARONRTD wrote: »
    large size

053ca482887a2f733.gif
  • jamesj9371 wrote: »
    As someone with negative money I can say that I have never encountered a problem spending my money.

I would like to point out that everyone is wrong about the inability for EA to display cash amounts above 2.1 billion as a positive number. Tapped Out already displays your cash correctly on some screens, yet incorrectly shows negative on other pages. The fix is just to copy the display code from a correct page to all the incorrect ones.
    There will still be a limit how this could go on if you do not get back into positive domain from the negativity.
  • jamesj9371 wrote: »
    As someone with negative money I can say that I have never encountered a problem spending my money.

Hmmm... OK, this is the first time I've heard of the game displaying the larger amounts correctly on some screens but not others. Out of curiosity, when does it display properly? This would imply that somehow they are having to convert the variable type to display it. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to do it that way, but they probably didn't think years ago that anyone would actually break the $2B mark.

• Hmmm... OK, this is the first time I've heard of the game displaying the larger amounts correctly on some screens but not others. Out of curiosity, when does it display properly? This would imply that somehow they are having to convert the variable type to display it. Doesn't really make a lot of sense to do it that way, but they probably didn't think years ago that anyone would actually break the $2B mark.

On the build screen the money displays properly, like so:
    8yaIuyP.png

• doh1886 wrote: »
    They can't increase the limit as it's a limit in all computers.

It's not a limit on all computers, but it is a caused by the size of the storage area that the code allocated for in-game cash. It can be expanded, but it's not something that can be done overnight, especially because the game is a relatively large program that probably uses that value in many places. (I would guess that the original programmers thought that no player would EVER accumulate that much cash...)

How can I be sure of this? The fact that the value goes negative once it reaches the limit is the giveaway. This is a characteristic of the way in which most modern computers store integers.

(A few details without actually getting into binary integer math: The high-order (leftmost) bit in an integer's storage area is used to mark the sign of the number. When the magnitude of the number goes above what the remainder of the available bits can store, it "overflows" into the bit being used to hold the sign. The result is that the sign bit changes value and the computer then thinks the number is the opposite sign.)
  • doh1886 wrote: »
    They can't increase the limit as it's a limit in all computers.

It's not a limit on all computers, but it is a caused by the size of the storage area that the code allocated for in-game cash. It can be expanded, but it's not something that can be done overnight, especially because the game is a relatively large program that probably uses that value in many places. (I would guess that the original programmers thought that no player would EVER accumulate that much cash...)

How can I be sure of this? The fact that the value goes negative once it reaches the limit is the giveaway. This is a characteristic of the way in which most modern computers store integers.

(A few details without actually getting into binary integer math: The high-order (leftmost) bit in an integer's storage area is used to mark the sign of the number. When the magnitude of the number goes above what the remainder of the available bits can store, it "overflows" into the bit being used to hold the sign. The result is that the sign bit changes value and the computer then thinks the number is the opposite sign.)

Thanks for the last technical part. I had returned this knowledge to the University..