EA Forums - Banner

EA jack up prices

Replies

  • zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I justify it because this is the only freemium game I spent real money on. Now, if it starts crashing like crazy again I'll stop buying donuts.
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I got Barney with the Christmas update so I never knew that he was so god damn expensive, he doesn't even have premium tasks. Mind you it wouldn't be Springfield without him and I'm guessing thats what EA are counting on.

    Barney and the Bowlarama is one thing, but why anyone would willingly buy Shauna for 90 donuts seems crazy to me
  • zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    mwdalton wrote:
    Barney and the Bowlarama is one thing, but why anyone would willingly buy Shauna for 90 donuts seems crazy to me

    Because I want all the things! :-o
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    zuzupj wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Barney and the Bowlarama is one thing, but why anyone would willingly buy Shauna for 90 donuts seems crazy to me

    Because I want all the things! :-o


    Lol, you crazy! :)
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I wasn't going to buy Scorpio, either, because in the episode where he featured he wasn't even based in Springfield, but another town. Then they had that special where you got him and the Springfield Sign for 250 donuts, and I couldn't resist. I justified it to myself by saying that he must have moved his lair to Springfield with an evil helicarrier.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    zuzupj wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Barney and the Bowlarama is one thing, but why anyone would willingly buy Shauna for 90 donuts seems crazy to me

    Because I want all the things! :-o

    You'll be fine as long as you keep your habit in check. We don't want to be hearing that you've lost everything to your addiction. You lose your home and are abandoned by your family.

    You end up walking the streets with just the clothes on your back and an iPad. You sleep around the back of a Starbucks living of its cold coffee and other scraps whilst desperately trying to get in range of their free wi-fi. I'm not addicted you keep saying to yourself, I just want all things! :D
  • A_Bad_Exampl3
    916 posts
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    peruhomer wrote:
    peruhomer wrote:
    Volcano lair with Hank Scorpio is 200 donuts, but now if you missed the christmas update Barney and his bowlarama costs 250 donuts.. the volcano is much larger than a bowling alley building, and much more impressive in my opinion. Weird why Barney would cost so much

    It is because EA have effectively created a captive market. Players are most likely to make initial purchases of cheaper and more reasonably (but still expensive in my own opinion) priced items. When you have accumulated a few of these you have created a financial stake in the game that will continue to keep you playing and make it more likely you will buy further premium items. Once a certain type of player (and a fairly common type) has accumulated enough of these premium items, they will feel compelled to own them all. With EA being the sole supplier of these goods I.e. it's a monopoly, they will use your compulsion to extract a higher price.

    Exploiting an addiction. Surely no corporate entity would do this.

    It's one reason I am playing a second town. Reminder of what the game is like without putting anything into it. If EA does not provide it, it won't be in that town.

    Sure they do it but I can't think of many cases where they do it this obviously and shamelessly.

    You mean other than Big Tobacco, Coke, and Pepsi in the US? Caffeine and Nicotein are addictive drugs, and both get shamelessly marketed. OxyContin would get that treatment if Purdue could get away with it.

    Comparing EA to a tobacco company or a drug manufacturer is a bit extreme. There are different levels of addiction and what EA is doing is hardly life threatening. But I accept your point that this is fairly common if unethical business practice.

    Not too argue, we'll not much. :)

    Computer addiction is a serious mental condition, that has been known since computer games and net news first started 30+ years ago. The people who post here trying to gain favor with the "cool posters" as they perceive it, and the ones who post here boasting about how good their town is based solely on the amount of premium items are showing classic signs.

    5934636ea8bc6208b0079c4e2ceccf5b_zps1496d9c0.jpg

  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:
    peruhomer wrote:
    peruhomer wrote:
    Volcano lair with Hank Scorpio is 200 donuts, but now if you missed the christmas update Barney and his bowlarama costs 250 donuts.. the volcano is much larger than a bowling alley building, and much more impressive in my opinion. Weird why Barney would cost so much

    It is because EA have effectively created a captive market. Players are most likely to make initial purchases of cheaper and more reasonably (but still expensive in my own opinion) priced items. When you have accumulated a few of these you have created a financial stake in the game that will continue to keep you playing and make it more likely you will buy further premium items. Once a certain type of player (and a fairly common type) has accumulated enough of these premium items, they will feel compelled to own them all. With EA being the sole supplier of these goods I.e. it's a monopoly, they will use your compulsion to extract a higher price.

    Exploiting an addiction. Surely no corporate entity would do this.

    It's one reason I am playing a second town. Reminder of what the game is like without putting anything into it. If EA does not provide it, it won't be in that town.

    Sure they do it but I can't think of many cases where they do it this obviously and shamelessly.

    You mean other than Big Tobacco, Coke, and Pepsi in the US? Caffeine and Nicotein are addictive drugs, and both get shamelessly marketed. OxyContin would get that treatment if Purdue could get away with it.

    Comparing EA to a tobacco company or a drug manufacturer is a bit extreme. There are different levels of addiction and what EA is doing is hardly life threatening. But I accept your point that this is fairly common if unethical business practice.

    Not too argue, we'll not much. :)

    Computer addiction is a serious mental condition, that has been known since computer games and net news first started 30+ years ago. The people who post here trying to gain favor with the "cool posters" as they perceive it, and the ones who post here boasting about how good their town is based solely on the amount of premium items are showing classic signs.

    5934636ea8bc6208b0079c4e2ceccf5b_zps1496d9c0.jpg

    Hey that list of symptoms sounds like me :D *! It sounds like * all of us...

    ...right with that, that's me off to bed. Goodnight all.
  • gazzajay
    327 posts
    edited February 2013
    I think it could be EA starting to panic. Tapped out in uk App Store is down to 4th in top grossing, after being at no. 1 since the Halloween update.

    So they are deciding to put prices of donuts up, to get you to buy more. But surely it's wiser to put the price down more, to attract you into buying them (like when shops have sales), as the higher price just puts me off buying them more than before
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    gazzajay wrote:
    I think it could be EA starting to panic. Tapped out in uk App Store is down to 4th in top grossing, after being at no. 1 since the Halloween update.

    So they are deciding to put prices of donuts up, to get you to buy more. But surely it's wiser to put the price down more, to attract you into buying them (like when shops have sales), as the higher price just puts me off buying them more than before

    I agree :) when there is a sale going on you always "tend" to buy more :) Raising the prices as they have has even made me think twice about buying the items :( I have to have everything is the game but with the donut prices going up n up im seriously thinking of not getting anymore premium items :(

    Unless it something seriously good! then yes i'll probably cave :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    They will continue to have specials, and discounts, I reckon. We haven't seen the last of ol' Gil!
  • philieb
    931 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I too gave in to the donut sale. And when they had the SF sign/volcano lair deal (the two premium items I wanted least), I bought it. Now I have to spend more money to get the other premium items I do want. Just waiting for the next good deal though. EA has got this down to a science and as long as the demand is there, the inflation will continue.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    philieb wrote:
    I too gave in to the donut sale. And when they had the SF sign/volcano lair deal (the two premium items I wanted least), I bought it. Now I have to spend more money to get the other premium items I do want. Just waiting for the next good deal though. EA has got this down to a science and as long as the demand is there, the inflation will continue.

    How come you didnt really want the "Volcano Lair" I personally think it wicked :) Least you get a building and a character with that one which makes it more worth getting for the price :) Plus Hanks tasks are quite cool :)

    As for the sign can understand why you wouldnt want it as much but for me i had to have that to make it more of a SF town :)
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • philieb
    931 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    philieb wrote:
    I too gave in to the donut sale. And when they had the SF sign/volcano lair deal (the two premium items I wanted least), I bought it. Now I have to spend more money to get the other premium items I do want. Just waiting for the next good deal though. EA has got this down to a science and as long as the demand is there, the inflation will continue.

    How come you didnt really want the "Volcano Lair" I personally think it wicked :) Least you get a building and a character with that one which makes it more worth getting for the price :) Plus Hanks tasks are quite cool :)

    As for the sign can understand why you wouldnt want it as much but for me i had to have that to make it more of a SF town :)

    In the end I am happy with the purchase. Especially for the price! Gotta love the fun run!!! But still need the brewery, Frinks lab, and/or krustylu. Like I said, just waiting for the next sale.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    philieb wrote:
    In the end I am happy with the purchase. Especially for the price! Gotta love the fun run!!! But still need the brewery, Frinks lab, and/or krustylu. Like I said, just waiting for the next sale.

    Frinks lab is defo worth getting along with the Brewery Duff man is wicked :lol: Frinks hours task on his flying machine is fun and duffman never bores me lol :) Krustylu studios is ok Mel is quote good but i would defo go with the other two before that :)
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • JackB88
    16 posts
    edited February 2013
    I never paid for premium items on any free games I've bothered to play. But this one tempted me and I spent a decent amount of money for some of the buildings and characters, but if the price keeps increasing it will just put me off buying anymore just out of principal.

    Trust EA to get too greedy for their own good.
  • brenner_yes
    1156 posts
    edited February 2013
    Idk why everyone didn't realize this as soon as the mystery stocking came out, and then again with the bonus levels I posted a few responses to how EA was flooding the game with donuts which for actual donut buyers is a bad thing because the level of play which we are use to is raised and more people can afford those premiums they never could and never have to spend a penny.

    Simply put the more donuts and events like the mystery stockings that occur the more likely it will be that a price hike comes in the form of donuts in future endeavors.

    But for once the mystery stocking made most Tapped out players happy a rare occurrence indeed, so that would be why any negative feedback was ignored right after the greatest event ever was over.
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited February 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    You know why I don't have her? I saw somebody post this "Shauna costs $10." TEN DOLLARS!! Ten dollars for a pixel, non-voiced, non-central to the show character. Made it really easy to pass on her.
    I paid $40 for a $50 iTunes card and got 1125 doughnuts. That's 3.56 cents per doughnut. Shauna is well worth the $3.20 I spent on her. A premium character is worth 90 doughnuts. A premium skin is worth half that... unless it's for Homer and then it's worthless.
  • joebeezyjh
    136 posts
    edited February 2013
    You know prices are prolly gonna get worse since they got a new audience with the android group. They fill as tho new suckers to exploit for and update or two until they get fed up like us.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Idk why everyone didn't realize this as soon as the mystery stocking came out, and then again with the bonus levels I posted a few responses to how EA was flooding the game with donuts which for actual donut buyers is a bad thing because the level of play which we are use to is raised and more people can afford those premiums they never could and never have to spend a penny.

    Simply put the more donuts and events like the mystery stockings that occur the more likely it will be that a price hike comes in the form of donuts in future endeavors.

    But for once the mystery stocking made most Tapped out players happy a rare occurrence indeed, so that would be why any negative feedback was ignored right after the greatest event ever was over.

    They did.

    It was discussed to death that the prices would be jacked up because of all the free donuts.

    DCLINE - Good point but what about those who are just paying straight? Not everybody did the iTunes gift card deals so for them? She is $10.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.