EA Forums - Banner

EA jack up prices

Replies

• capnfatback
    71 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    I was going to buy mr Plow but his little machine thingy is a pile of crap! I expexted him to have a truck not a lawnmower lol. Normally I regret not buying things but that is one I'm glad I missed out on. Now I'm not too sure about Shauna, I think she is a little overpriced but I think she looks cute lol. I dunno tho...

Personnally i wouldnt bother getting her, she doesnt have an hour task for a start, 2hr is shortest! Plus the tasks are pretty boring, There one where she feeding the ducks (which has always been in the road for me...Strange) and cant think what it called but she walks round the town texting basically! *YAWN*

In my opinion defo NOT worth the dount price tag :( "whata mistaka to maka" :lol:

Doesn't Shauna have a 30-minute task?
  • chelsea0790
    407 posts
    edited February 2013
    Another funny comparison

Frinks lab +Prof Frink 150 donuts
    Santas little helper 150 donuts

Santas little helper was free to those playing during christmas, it is insulting it costs as much as a building and a premium character. The dog doesnt "do" anything, to have the same price tag as Frink seems like EA is taunting those who missed out on it for free.

I wish the new characters werent 90 donuts too, I really like dr Nick but 90 is just too much for me
  • zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    Jopa79 wrote:
    EA is clearly testing out what the supply/demand level is for this game still. once they realized how many people out there are giant simpsons fans that would spend to get everyone/everything in their springfield, they wanted to know what they could charge without losing that many customers.

i'll wager that ralph, since he comes with a house and is a super popular character in the show, might fall into the 150-200 donut range. if characters like shauna and dr. nick are 90 donuts, it wouldn't shock me to see the characters that everyone wants to be pricier.

even the difference between the raven and funzos was 30 to 50 donuts. marginal, but still there.

I really hope that Ralph if/when he arrives isn't premium. That would be a shame.

He won't be. There are a couple of players who accidentally got the level 26 update and Ralph's house was 175-177k in cash.
  • RubyLDaniels
    47 posts
    edited February 2013
    Another funny comparison

Santas little helper was free to those playing during christmas, it is insulting it costs as much as a building and a premium character. The dog doesnt "do" anything, to have the same price tag as Frink seems like EA is taunting those who missed out on it for free.

I wish the new characters werent 90 donuts too, I really like dr Nick but 90 is just too much for me
    I made the same comparison of the dog and lab. SLH is cute as all get out, but he doesn't even add a bonus to the town. Sheesh! I got the lab. . .
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    I was going to buy mr Plow but his little machine thingy is a pile of crap! I expexted him to have a truck not a lawnmower lol. Normally I regret not buying things but that is one I'm glad I missed out on. Now I'm not too sure about Shauna, I think she is a little overpriced but I think she looks cute lol. I dunno tho...

Personnally i wouldnt bother getting her, she doesnt have an hour task for a start, 2hr is 2nd shortest! Plus the tasks are pretty boring, There one where she feeding the ducks (which has always been in the road for me...Strange) and cant think what it called but she walks round the town texting basically! *YAWN*

In my opinion defo NOT worth the dount price tag :( "whata mistaka to maka" :lol:

Yeah sorry i missed typing "2nd" in my original text (added in above)

Yeah she does have a 30min task but no hour, i like my hour tasks gives me time to do something else :) Just not overly impressed with her tbh
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • azchristopher
    239 posts
    edited February 2013
    Another funny comparison

I made the same comparison of the dog and lab. SLH is cute as all get out, but he doesn't even add a bonus to the town. Sheesh! I got the lab. . .

But at least people who missed the Christmas event have the option. I'm actually more surprised they don't do that with all the themed items after an event is over.
  • rabbikrustofski
    42 posts
    edited February 2013
    glad to hear ralph is in game cash, maybe they aren't as money hungry as we make them out to be.
  • brenner_yes
    1156 posts
    edited February 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:

Personnally i wouldnt bother getting her, she doesnt have an hour task for a start, 2hr is 2nd shortest! Plus the tasks are pretty boring, There one where she feeding the ducks (which has always been in the road for me...Strange) and cant think what it called but she walks round the town texting basically! *YAWN*

Yeah sorry i missed typing "2nd" in my original text (added in above)

Yeah she does have a 30min task but no hour, i like my hour tasks gives me time to do something else :) Just not overly impressed with her tbh

Iv been trying to buy donuts for like 2 days now no luck (Im waiting for it to verify my credit card or something) Maybe its a sign i shouldn't buy Shauna hmmm lol
  • ickshter
    117 posts
    edited February 2013
    Another funny comparison

Santas little helper was free to those playing during Christmas, it is insulting it costs as much as a building and a premium character. The dog doesnt "do" anything, to have the same price tag as Frink seems like EA is taunting those who missed out on it for free.

My game exploded after Halloween. back to level one. (I was level 22 at the time) I hadn't bought any doughnuts as of yet. While I was waiting for EA to fix me, I started playing again from level one. When Christmas came around I was able to get Barney and SLH and everything with the coins. Jan 6th, EA fixed my old account and I got my old town back.. That had NOTHING from Xmas... EA threw 200 doughnuts at me for my trouble. Got Otto, SVT and Kearny. To get My bowlarama back and SLH I would've needed 400. Wasn't worth it to me. I got 3 premium dudes and a bus! Not sure if I will ever spend money one this game. I am getting closer to that point though... ;)
  • BouncyX
    114 posts
    edited February 2013
    the bowling alley cost donuts now?

i got it by either using in game money or it came with a quest, i forget which but i know i didnt spend 250 donuts on it because the most donuts i've had is 140 something and that was long before the alley was added to the game. by the time it came along, i had 50ish donuts.

• zuzupj
    1452 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    BouncyX wrote:
    the bowling alley cost donuts now?

i got it by either using in game money or it came with a quest, i forget which but i know i didnt spend 250 donuts on it because the most donuts i've had is 140 something and that was long before the alley was added to the game. by the time it came along, i had 50ish donuts.

It cost coins if you played during the Christmas Event. When they removed the coins they changed the price to donuts.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    EA is clearly testing out what the supply/demand level is for this game still. once they realized how many people out there are giant simpsons fans that would spend to get everyone/everything in their springfield, they wanted to know what they could charge without losing that many customers.

i'll wager that ralph, since he comes with a house and is a super popular character in the show, might fall into the 150-200 donut range. if characters like shauna and dr. nick are 90 donuts, it wouldn't shock me to see the characters that everyone wants to be pricier.

even the difference between the raven and funzos was 30 to 50 donuts. marginal, but still there.

Marginal? That's a price increase of 67%. That's massive.
  • Tortyreus
    108 posts
    edited February 2013
    OP, I have complained about this before. I even made a thread saying how ridiculous it is that Shauna, the only character with this Valentine update, is Premium, AND costs 30 donuts more then the regular premium characters. Same for Nick. And Mr. Plow.

Trust me, I know how you feel.

It's pretty sick that the prices for Premium characters went up 50%...
  • arnoutVI
    604 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Homer defo one of the best characters for sure :) although kinda has to be really :P

Cool Homer is even Cooler 8)
  • michelleus66
    204 posts
    edited February 2013
    To all of you whining about EA "jacking up" their prices, why not consider the big picture.

The current Valentine's Day event brought three new buildings, a whole bunch of new decorations, two expensive "chase" items, and one new character.

The cost if you want to get all of the content?

90 donuts (the price of Shauna).

At least one of the new buildings could have been premium, but all three were free.

BTW, there have been 90-donut premium characters since the beginning of October when Marge's witch costume became available.

The January update cost more than the current one, and there was less content. (Cost in real world dollars.)

I tend to look at the cost of the entire update, and for what we got this time around, EA was very generous.
  • yellowirish
    29 posts
    edited February 2013
    I will only buy characters or buildings with characters. Only regrettable donut purchases are witch marge and tire fire. All others are cool like Otto Fink Barney Kang DuffMan etc as it is not just a new character skin but an actual character... can't believe ppl spend a donut for a piece of white fence or more for a tree.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    arnoutVI wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Homer defo one of the best characters for sure :) although kinda has to be really :P

Cool Homer is even Cooler 8)

He is pretty cool :) Do like his bike task that is funny :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • waltercartman
    677 posts
    edited February 2013
    I will only buy characters or buildings with characters. Only regrettable donut purchases are witch marge and tire fire. All others are cool like Otto Fink Barney Kang DuffMan etc as it is not just a new character skin but an actual character... can't believe ppl spend a donut for a piece of white fence or more for a tree.
    Im one of those people. I have over 150 white fences and every dumpster is a green one in my town.

The prices dont worry me as long as we keep getting new stuff. No one has to buy any of this stuff.
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    To all of you whining about EA "jacking up" their prices, why not consider the big picture.

The current Valentine's Day event brought three new buildings, a whole bunch of new decorations, two expensive "chase" items, and one new character.

At least one of the new buildings could have been premium, but all three were free.

BTW, there have been 90-donut premium characters since the beginning of October when Marge's witch costume became available.

The January update cost more than the current one, and there was less content. (Cost in real world dollars.)

I tend to look at the cost of the entire update, and for what we got this time around, EA was very generous.

Lol. You speak of EA as though it is an ongoing charitable concern and not a multi-national corporation. It's not generosity that is being displayed but a business strategy that involves giving away enough free items to keep players interested and playing the game and most importantly, for them to continue to pay real money for premium items. They can't keep asking us to pay for a significant number of premium items in every update or most consumers would have to give up on purchasing each one. If they don't purchase each one then they become more discerning about which ones they do buy and are ultimately more likely to purchase less.

However, as I said at the start, you pay your money you make your choice. If you're happy to pay higher prices then good luck to you.

• mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    peruhomer wrote:

Lol. You speak of EA as though it is an ongoing charitable concern and not a multi-national corporation. It's not generosity that is being displayed but a business strategy that involves giving away enough free items to keep players interested and playing the game and most importantly, for them to continue to pay real money for premium items. They can't keep asking us to pay for a significant number of premium items in every update or most consumers would have to give up on purchasing each one. If they don't purchase each one then they become more discerning about which ones they do buy and are ultimately more likely to purchase less.

However, as I said at the start, you pay your money you make your choice. If you're happy to pay higher prices then good luck to you.

This is why I have said that because this game was a wild success they will release stuff in small amounts. If they released all of the content at once people would either buy it all at once, get bored and stop, get intimidated and stop, or slowly buy stuff here and there, but eventually would dwindle. When they would see a massive all at once price tag people will balk. Let out one or two every month, sure I will part with originally what was $7 dollars, okay, now I will part with $10.

It is not so much about the cost of the update (which this update is partial, so the donut cost can still exceed the January update), but the business practice they are using behind it. I for one have a lot of donuts to carry me a great while, but if this is the new cost structure, 90 per character and 90 per a skin for homer, no thanks, that goes too far for me.

This is not whining about EA, this is bringing to light a very smart and manipulative business practice. I have jokingly said in other threads the EA marketing people deserve a raise for this one.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.