EA Forums - Banner

For the Want of a Costume...

Call them costumes, skins, or outfits, at this point in TSTO a great number of our in-game characters have "alternate personas" that they can shift into when we're bored with our normal Springfield residents. And there are certainly a lot of costumes and characters that have them: Homer Simpson (20), Lisa Simpson (14), C. Montgomery Burns (12), Bart Simpson (10), Ned Flanders (6), Marge Simpson (5), Moe Szyslak (5), Abe Simpson (4), Groundskeeper Willie (4), Krusty the Clown (4), Milhouse Van Houten (4), Apu Nahasapeemapetilon (3), Maggie Simpson (3), Comic Book Guy (3), Seymour Skinner (3), Barney Gumble (2), Chief Clancy Wiggum (2), Jasper Beardly (2), Martin Prince (2), Ralph Wiggum (2), Sideshow Bob (2), Snake Jailbird (2), Arnie Pye (1), Barbarian (1), Carl Carlson (1), Crazy Cat Lady (1), Disco Stu (1), Drederick Tatum (1), Duffman (1), Hank Scorpio (1), Dr. Julius Hibbert (1), Kang (1), Kent Brockman (1), Kirk Van Houten (1), Kodos (1), Kumiko (1), Lenny Leonard (1), Luann Van Houten (1), Mayor Joe Quimby (1), Miss Springfield (1), Nelson Muntz (1), Professor John Frink (1), Rainier Wolfcastle (1), and Waylon Smithers (1). However, now that the game currently features 252 playable characters, I find it difficult to utilize these costumes as much as I'd like. It simply takes too darn long to scroll through all of them to use them too often.

My solution: put every character with at least one costume at the front of the Character Finder (the button on the top left of the screen). That way, you can scroll through those characters first and assign the costume you want to use, and then you can use the Job Manager to task everyone else. It would save an enormous amount of time for people who want to use Hank Scorpio's new costume, but would rather not spend 5-8 minutes scrolling through the listing to find him. Thoughts?

Replies

• 4junk3000
    5232 posts Member
    1. The character finder already has a prioritizer: characters with yellow text jobs list first
    2. Most people focused on cash accumulation, use the highest paying outfits consistently. For Burns, I always use the gorilla vest, and usually all Stonecutters are in their robes. Why would I change their costumes and earn less?
    3. Why would you spend 5-8 minutes scrolling? Just assign the characters as they appear in the finder, whatever order they are. Their outfit change takes ONE second, and that's only if you change it. Don't scroll for Scorpio, assign characters until you see him, then change his outfit, and continue.
    4. Changing costumes each job assignment is NOT a common practice.
    5. Your list indicates only 7 characters have >5 skins. If you want those characters listed first in your character finder, that doesn't require recoding the game. Just select them first.
    6. 5-8 minutes? Are you using your finger, or a chop stick?

If you change their skins routinely, job to job, that is an activity unique to your game playing technique. Which is fine, play how you want.

But It sounds to me like you have some personal desire to do things difficultly, but then want the game reengineered to accommodate your unusual method. Not only have I no use for such a change, I'd rather EA fix bugs and glitches that already plague the game. We have many long standing issues yet to be corrected, that prevent people from playing, that risk town tampering from unauthorized access, etc.

Thanks for asking!

"You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • 4junk3000 wrote: »
    1. Why would I change their costumes and earn less?

It becomes an issue when the costume gets changed automatically via a quest, daily task, etc. You then have to manually change back to the premium.
  • rw228
    1043 posts Member
    ^^yes! The changing of skins to perform jobs is what takes the longest for me. Every time it is a railyard tasks I have to change those characters back.
    Also the Moe Brewery 4hour job takes priority with the job manager over some of my premium skin characters 4hour job and has a smaller payout. This needs to be fixed too.
  • 4junk3000 wrote: »
    1. The character finder already has a prioritizer: characters with yellow text jobs list first
    Why can't we have both?
    4junk3000 wrote: »
    2. Most people focused on cash accumulation, use the highest paying outfits consistently. For Burns, I always use the gorilla vest, and usually all Stonecutters are in their robes. Why would I change their costumes and earn less?
    I have over $100 million. I don't care about money. Truth be told, I'd much rather assign characters based on their best visual tasks.
    3. Why would you spend 5-8 minutes scrolling? Just assign the characters as they appear in the finder, whatever order they are. Their outfit change takes ONE second, and that's only if you change it. Don't scroll for Scorpio, assign characters until you see him, then change his outfit, and continue.
    Even if I do assign the characters as they appear on the finder that still takes forever. There's over 250 playable characters!
    4. Changing costumes each job assignment is NOT a common practice.
    First off, how would you know? Second, maybe it would be if it was easier.
    6. 5-8 minutes? Are you using your finger, or a chop stick?
    Nice attempt at humor.
    If you change their skins routinely, job to job, that is an activity unique to your game playing technique. Which is fine, play how you want. But It sounds to me like you have some personal desire to do things difficultly, but then want the game reengineered to accommodate your unusual method. Not only have I no use for such a change, I'd rather EA fix bugs and glitches that already plague the game. We have many long standing issues yet to be corrected, that prevent people from playing, that risk town tampering from unauthorized access, etc.
    It was a suggestion. Suggestions (and complaints) like mine lead to improvements down the line. Remember when we didn't have a Character Finder feature? Or the IRS building that allowed us to expand our tapping radius? Ideas like this come from the people playing the game. We're essentially beta testing this game as we play it, and there should be nothing wrong in looking for ways to improve game play.

Thanks for reading!

• My solution: put every character with at least one costume at the front of the Character Finder (the button on the top left of the screen). That way, you can scroll through those characters first and assign the costume you want to use, and then you can use the Job Manager to task everyone else. It would save an enormous amount of time for people who want to use Hank Scorpio's new costume, but would rather not spend 5-8 minutes scrolling through the listing to find him. Thoughts?

I would like this a lot. It's very frustrating to have to use the stupid town hall to scroll the list, find the specific character, change the costume, assign the job, then scroll back across my town back to the town hall for the next one.

Other frustrations are similar: for example, I have several characters that I like to task on paired jobs, but those jobs are not the prioritized job for the job finder, so unless I tap and assign them right as their task is cleared, I have to do the same for them. Also, while I tend to use the job finder to do four-hour tasks, there are a few characters for whom I prefer longer tasks (Norbert comes immediately to mind, and so do the tourists). With so many tappers having well over a hundred characters to task, doing it manually is simply far too time consuming.

Your suggestion is something I've been wanting for a while and would be a welcome adjustment. Still not what one might call "auto-play", but it does reduce the amount of time spent in tedium. I think it's why people get burnt out on the game and stop playing.

• wiedmannaj
    1123 posts Member
    They should just make it easier to find people in the town hall, like at least the ability to start at a certain letter. That would solve not only your problems, but also a lot of others.
    Missing Character: The Barbarian
  • wiedmannaj wrote: »
    They should just make it easier to find people in the town hall, like at least the ability to start at a certain letter. That would solve not only your problems, but also a lot of others.

I could not agree more! It is pretty tedious. It also frustrates me that there's no real consistency to how characters are listed alphabetically: sometimes by first name, sometimes last, and sometimes by their titles. Even the ones who have titles cannot be guaranteed to be listed by them.