EA Forums - Banner

Why do so few people care what their Springfield looks like?

Replies

• equiraptor
    52 posts
    edited October 2012
    My Springfield looks like a disorganized mess when viewing it. But, like most of the seeming-disorganized-messes in my life, there's a purpose behind it. Aesthetics is not a driving factor for me, but functionality is.

First and foremost, my buildings to vandalize are dead center, where the Springfield loads, so visitors can easily find them to vandalize them.

I noticed the characters only walk where there is road, normally, but will leave the road to find an item if they need to interact with it for a task. As a result, my road is all in one little area, with the buildings and items for the characters' most-done tasks nearby. This lets me find my characters when off-task easily and means they generally don't have to walk too far to perform their tasks (walking distance is often sacrificed for other functionality needs, though).

I have a bank of brown houses that's basically one screen's worth.

And then I have longer-term buildings with relatively few interactions (or few I use regularly).

And I've tried to put a sort of park in one area. But I don't have a huge amount of interest in visual aesthetics, so it's not the best. I'm working on a pine forest behind the park, which I think looks better (but is still in its infancy, so a bit thin).

Some of the more recent stuff in my Springfield, particularly the Halloween related stuff, isn't yet fit into the functionality. It's a bit haphazardly placed in areas that were fairly empty before. I'll either move it somewhere more functional or build up a functionality around it in time - I'm thankful we can move buildings around!
  • OrdealByFire
    916 posts
    edited October 2012
    mitsuhoney wrote:

OMG! Youre right! Its such a bad habit of mine to use the dot in the middle of my name cause my work email does it that way and I got so used to it, I have to remember this lol! By the way, love your town, its really nicely set up, especially that you put the Retirement Home near the Library, it looks better than where I have my library (near the school lol)

I just got lucky it worked out that way. There are some buildings I'd like to move around but I'm waiting on some more land..
  • GZero604
    169 posts
    edited October 2012
    I built a very nice town when the game came out last year and was very proud of it. Put many hours into it. Then my town went all buggy and when I got it back, it was a mess so I decided this time around I'm just going to put everything together and have 1 straight piece of road. So when I collect the tax when a job completes, everyone walks towards the road and waits. I don't want to go hunting for every character so I can give them jobs. Land is not an issue for me since I have about 2/3 of it empty. Buildings close together and 1 road makes my job a lot easier then before :mrgreen:
  • g00mpa
    7 posts
    edited October 2012
    Spacing everything out feels too try hard, but mostly inefficient... I try to organize everything close together, but in a creative way. I like how mine turned out, but then again we all have our personal preferences (favorite color, car, shoes, etc)
  • albert2k
    271 posts
    edited October 2012
    I moved mine a lots of time and I'm not totally conftable * it looks. I think that everyone have an idea that how sprindfield have to be. I just tried to follow my instinct and I think that everyone do it the same.
  • thejudd67
    395 posts
    edited October 2012
    I'd cut people some slack at the moment as we all had a massive update with some large items to try to work into our existing designs while getting a $162,000 bill for a new building. I've got it mostly sorted out and in another $70,000 worth of land expansions I'll be where I was before the Halloween stuff hit, albeit with a few more improvements to make.

Or maybe you've just seen some Springfields way worse than I have. :D
  • Randomheroooo
    30 posts
    edited October 2012
    I hate this to, I thought its part of game makin it look all nice. I have to have mine all tidy and whatnot. add me Randomheroooo if anyone wants
  • Rethenut
    4 posts
    edited October 2012
    Hey folks!

This has been a great discussion to read! I've tried to add a few of you (origin ID is Tricia723). I think my Springfield is somewhat organized. I've tried to make a blue house area to get some fast cash and xp. I very much enjoy this game and hope it does not go all buggy on me. Feel free to drop by if you'd like to check it out.

Cheers!
  • 95LRF
    152 posts Member
    edited October 2012
    Its soo annoying seeing eveything cramped together
  • Rethenut
    4 posts
    edited October 2012
    Its soo annoying seeing eveything cramped together

I totally agree!
  • Mortalist
    7 posts
    edited October 2012
    Tbh was it worth making this thread ??? Its just a game you dont get kudos for having a fancy town,
  • DohMoe
    506 posts
    edited October 2012
    Stop dissing people's Springfields meanie. :P
  • spiffshine
    1978 posts Member
    edited October 2012
    I'm with you, OrdealByFire! I have a maxed out friends list, but find myself often deleting people with ugly, haphazard towns. Not wanting to be mean... I just don't want to look at them! I enjoy visiting other towns to see what people have done and very much appreciate the thought and time it takes to make them look nice.

I believe my town looked good, even back at level 10, so it's not a money issue. It's thoughtful planning and patience.
  • mindjobmikey
    18 posts
    edited October 2012
    I think mine is pretty well put together. I try to keep urban springfield together and industrial springfield together.
    Check mine out.
  • elsie_d
    722 posts Member
    edited October 2012
    thejudd67 wrote:
    I'd cut people some slack at the moment as we all had a massive update with some large items to try to work into our existing designs while getting a $162,000 bill for a new building. I've got it mostly sorted out and in another $70,000 worth of land expansions I'll be where I was before the Halloween stuff hit, albeit with a few more improvements to make.

Or maybe you've just seen some Springfields way worse than I have. :D

Yes, all that new stuff from the Halloween update was a case of too much all at once. Also, it was hard to plan when EA didn't update its Springfield so we could see the size and shape of buildings. And yes true again to that hideously expensive apt building!

@equiraptor, I appreciate visiting Springfields that I can visit quickly, find the buildings to vandalize (or expensive homes to egg!), and leave before the music stops playing. Because of the 24-hour clock, instead of a once a calendar day policy, every day it is later than the last since I cannot always get to my visits at the exact moment they're available to me again. Efficiency is very good when one has 20 or more friends to visit!

Also, I've seen some very nice towns where industry was in very close proximity to commerce and residences that had a pleasant urban feel to them. They even had detritus of the original Springfield strewn about for effect. So actually, it's the sprawling, humongous Springfields where there are long stretches of nothing with which to interact that try my patience, but they are all enjoyable to visit--but we may have a VERY different collection of neighbors, so I can only speak from my own experience visiting my neighbors' Springfields!
  • OrdealByFire
    916 posts
    edited October 2012
    Mortalist wrote:
    Tbh was it worth making this thread ??? Its just a game you dont get kudos for having a fancy town,

Lol. You're mad because you lack creativity. It's okay.
  • tadat73
    18 posts
    edited October 2012
    So glad to find this discussion. Much of the fun of this game is in designing a town, so it's great to see others putting some thought and time into their Springfield's aesthetic appeal. I'd love to see some of your towns, so please add me if you'd like.

I'm in the process of defriending the more junky-looking Springfields. :)
  • rhapsodyblue
    10 posts
    edited February 2013
    I'm part of this forum, "The Springfield Community Association" where like minded players with thoughtfully designed Springfields can find each other and become friends.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9276940.page
  • Georgegiles
    34 posts
    edited February 2013
    I have quite a well decorated Springfield... I have tried to get everything looking good, by roads ect! tell me what you think! add me: Georgegiles
  • Lsleong
    258 posts Member
    edited February 2013
    I'm part of this forum, "The Springfield Community Association" where like minded players with thoughtfully designed Springfields can find each other and become friends.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9276940.page
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.