EA Forums - Banner

The Gentleperson's Guide to Visiting Etiquette

Prev1
Truly, there is a proper etiquette when one visits their neighbor, yet for those unacquainted with such customs and traditions it would be wholly beneficial to tap into the fount of wisdom from those of you who are steeped in knowledge.
Please feel free to elaborate upon your answer so that future generations may glean a deeper understanding.

1. There seems to be mixed opinion on the subject of leaving graffiti. Should this practice be avoided?

2. Someone mentioned that one could tap on a neighbors Side Show Bob.
A. What is the reward for be-smudging one's finger on this villain?
B. Is it common to sight this creature of evil?

3. I have seen some neighbors with rows upon rows of Kwik-E-Marts (spelled out for the uninitiated). Should these be considered off limits for the plucking of icons?

4. Does it matter where the humble visitor forages his neighbor's domain, e.g., the town, KrustyLand, Squidport, etc.?

Should you be inspired to impart further wisdom beyond my humble musings, it would be most welcome.
Kindly yours,
Beastly

Replies

• 1. I have no problem with receiving graffiti but some people hate it. Often they'll say that if they put their name in the finding friends forum though so you know in advance. Personally I prefer tapping regular icons rather than graffitiing.

2. You only get a benefit from tapping sideshow Bob in Other Springfield or when you're doing the Bob quests, but that again only means tapping him in your own town or OS.

3. Tapping KEN's is fine, generally speaking they would always be in the build stage anyway as the benefit comes from completing the build, not collecting the income.

4. Tap wherever you want. If you want to connect KL tickets go there, if you want cash go to Springfield.
  • Urn hmmm I just tap anything and couldn’t care if I graffiti buildings or if someone did so to me. As long as I visit and people visit me that’s all that matters
  • There are quite a few who don't like people to graffiti as it can upset the righteousness level, for myself I'm not worried what any of my neighbors tap on.
  • It took me a long time to figure out why tapping a building that leaves graffiti, what it does. I believe it lowers their percentage meter so they get less in game cash. If you ask me, it's a bunch of ****. When I'm looking for new friends, if someone says they'll dump me if I leave graffiti, I don't send them a request in the first place. I have several friends now, that tap off every building in their towns when they play, and only leave the graffiti buildings to be tapped. I look around to try not to, but I'm not spending 5 minutes looking for other buildings. I have 92 friends now, and can have a total f 101. Going through 101 or whatever takes well over an hour to do so, and I'm not that anxious to return within a 24 hour period hoping to find non graffiti buildings to tap.
  • I don't visit and I don't care what anybody taps or if they visit. #nevercared

There is a certain someone here who visits me daily for years and does graffiti. I know that's his love letter to me. When he stops I know he #nevercared

• I don't really mind graffiti since I built a crap-ton of Training Walls and hid them all over Springfield. I usually clean them up almost immediately as their laid down, so it really doesn't hurt me all too much.

If the neighbor I'm visiting has a really high level, or high star count; I won't lay down some graffiti. I think it helps newer players a bit get the gist of neighbor visits and helps them improve their Righteousness Rating.
    Trying to control the horizontal & the vertical. Do not adjust your TV.
  • I don't visit off-event. Is that considered rude?
  • I don't care where you tap. The graffiti issue is easily resolvable by placing ( hiding ) training walls until your conform o meter is five stars and it won't matter if you're graffiti'ed.

Etiquette during events is up to you, it's nice to return the favor when someone drops or taps something that gives you event currency.
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • ldavidgr68 wrote: »
    I don't visit off-event. Is that considered rude?

I don't think so. The pay out for your visit is almost inconsequential. It is a nice way to say hello once and a while :)
  • Because there exists a small subset of people who (unnecessarily, in my view) fret about being graffitied, I tend to avoid doing so. (Conversely, if visitors to my town want to graffiti buildings, that’s fine and dandy.) I wouldn’t worry too much about it, however. In my opinion, this is an aspect of the game that some users tend to overthink. Just my opinion, of course.
  • I usually don't cost outside of events unless I need donuts so I hope for them to drop and visit everyone. I don't care if people graffiti me. I know it was sposed to lower something but it never affected me much. I seem to remember criminal characters had certain tasks that lowered that rating and the only real way to up the stars again at least for me was to tap graffiti in my town. Cleaning it up was helpful. So I wanted it. I usually avoided those criminal tasks but then one of those random quests would pop up forcing me to do one. I started to keep the grow moonshine quest and never finish it because of this and the fact it would ask for homer to do a 24 hour quest half the time when I needed him for an event. Now those random quests don't seem to appear anymore (did they remove them?) I would place those buildings where you would get started when visiting my town in hopes one would tap them. So I never understood why people hated it.

Now I have a southern border of training walls. I don't really remember how things were affected cause it was so long ago but my star rating never goes down and I still don't care what people tap in my town. I don't get tapped much outside of events anyways, usually it's 2-3 different visitors tops outside events.
  • What annoys me is the events where people need to clear neighbor taps. Bunch of my neighbors never clear them so there's nothing to available to tap since they were already tapped by others. I like ones like the homerpalooza event we just had that every neighbor has something to tap even if they haven't played in 5 years.

I noticed during the event some towns there was a 2-5 second pause when first loading in you couldn't do anything. Usually they had arnie pile in the helicopter flying over though. Also didn't like that pause after you collected a fan before you could click another.

But perhaps my biggest peave is those who have no roads or all roads completely hidden behind buildings. This can make it very difficult to find event taps. If I have to scroll from where it puts me into your town for 10 minutes to find roads I get very annoyed. One of my friends has only his only roads along the top and right borders of the map, and along 100% of the roads he has tall buildings hiding the roads. It feels like it was on purpose to make it hard to find characters/event taps.
  • I had no idea that folks don't like the spray can graffiti, the only time I hit that can is because there is nothing else tappable.
  • Once or twice I have the seen the opinion on this forum, particularly in the add me thread how they detest receiving graffiti and stated that they would drop their neighbour instantly if they did so.
    I’ve never understood that mindset.
    iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 13 Blue.
  • schliematt wrote: »
    What annoys me is the events where people need to clear neighbor taps. Bunch of my neighbors never clear them so there's nothing to available to tap since they were already tapped by others. I like ones like the homerpalooza event we just had that every neighbor has something to tap even if they haven't played in 5 years.

I noticed during the event some towns there was a 2-5 second pause when first loading in you couldn't do anything. Usually they had arnie pile in the helicopter flying over though. Also didn't like that pause after you collected a fan before you could click another.

But perhaps my biggest peave is those who have no roads or all roads completely hidden behind buildings. This can make it very difficult to find event taps. If I have to scroll from where it puts me into your town for 10 minutes to find roads I get very annoyed. One of my friends has only his only roads along the top and right borders of the map, and along 100% of the roads he has tall buildings hiding the roads. It feels like it was on purpose to make it hard to find characters/event taps.

I HATE ROADS! I have one short stretch in my towns. I keep the area around it clear so it is fully visible. This way I can find my characters easier if they wander off. Event taps spawn everywhere. Some of my neighbors have more roads than buildings. I hate wandering around trying to find event taps.

Having nothing to tap in a neighbors town is more likely to be because they just played, rather them not having cleared. Until their buildings "mature" they can't be tapped. Yes this is true. I have 4 towns, so yes I have checked this out. This is why so many people have brown houses near the landing zone, they renew quickly so neighbors can tap without having to run around too much.
  • Well, I’m one of the neighbours who doesn’t like having to build and hide dozens of training walls just to counteract graffiti and rating point drops and yes, I spell it out to anyone who wishes to become my neighbour. I rarely have to drop one for repeated infractions as generally speaking, they are of the same mind.

As for the argument that there’s nothing else to tap when they visit, that’s not true in my case as I always leave my 30 KEMs, scattered around my SF just for my friends, untapped and ready.

Final answer is you should PM someone in here and ask if they are okay with tagging before doing so because it’s the polite thing to do. If you are a true friend, behave like one and respect their wishes, even if you don’t understand or agree with them.
    My choice for all my Tapped Out news and troll-free friendly chat is the EA officially approved Tapped Out UK :)
  • I feel like if you are getting your panties in a bunch because a neighbor took time out of their day to visit your town, and tapped on one of the tappable buildings, but don't like which one, you

1- need waaaaay too much of a control
    2- are completely missing the point

This is a game. Are people visiting your town? Yeah? Then what's the problem? I have had between 70 and 100 friends since this forum became a thing and allowed the quick addition of fellow Tapped out gamers, and I can tell you that with the exception of only 2-3 events since this game was created, that there have been less than 20 people who visit my town each event/between events.

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda feel like "relax....it's only a game" gets overlooked. Just my two cents.
  • I have only 2-3 "friends" who visit me on a regular base and a lot of my friendlist seems to be inactive .. But I'm fine with it, never had problems with Graffiti but try to avoid it in neighbour towns, because I know some people have a problem with it. That said, I visit only during Events and not very regular myself. The Game itself and KEM farming already eat away enough of my time, sorry neighborinos
  • I have some great friends who are laid back and great designers and I often see their names pop up during events, leaving event currency, returning lawyers, etc. Even if they didn't, that would still be fine because I enjoy looking at their great Springfields and seeing how they've decided to use the newest decorations.

• @bluntcard Happy Halloween! ( just noticed your avi...so festive :) )