EA Forums - Banner

iOS 11 - Constant Re-Download

Prev134567
Upgraded to iOS 11, and it seems like this game is set to "offload," meaning that every time I re-open the app (after a couple hours of dormancy), it redownloads a 700+ MB update. I have snail pace internet (country) so it takes FOREVER. Then, when opening up the game, no real update. What gives? Anyone else having this issue?

Replies

• Constant updates: Usually this happens when your device is becoming quite full.
    Check to see if your device is getting full and off load some apps.
    iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone XR (Red product)
  • It's not. I have plenty of space.
  • It's not. I have plenty of space.

You don’t define what “plenty” is, but if @adruralo ‘s solution is not doing the trick (and it usually does), you’ll probably need to contact EA Help.

• I have 2GB+ free space. The update is just over .5 GB. This has never happened without getting an error code that tells me to free up some space.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited September 2017
    I have 2GB+ free space. The update is just over .5 GB. This has never happened without getting an error code that tells me to free up some space.

Others can weigh in on this point if they are more qualified than I am, but — based on what I’ve experienced in the past and have heard from others — 2 GB is an amount I would consider barely acceptable for reliable play.

I’ve never heard of TSTO generating an error code (or causing iOS to generate an error code) in cases where memory is an issue.

Post edited by KrustyBrand on
  • I'm in the process of updating my iPad. I'll chime in with my experience once it's done.
  • I have 2GB+ free space. The update is just over .5 GB. This has never happened without getting an error code that tells me to free up some space.

i doubt it will help but remove tsto for at least one minute, then download it again and see what happens
  • Nope, I’m not experiencing that after updating to iOS 11
  • beastlymm wrote: »
    Nope, I’m not experiencing that after updating to iOS 11

This has been a long-standing problem for many users. Kinda doubt it’s a direct consequence of any differences in iOS 11.

• It's weird. I just feel like my iPhone is stuck to "offload" the app, even though it says it isn't.

Others can weigh in on this point if they are more qualified than I am, but — based on what I’ve experienced in the past and have heard from others — 2 GB is an amount I would considerable barely acceptable for reliable play.

I’ve never heard of TSTO generating an error code (or causing iOS to generate an error code) in cases where memory is an issue.
    I agree with @KrustyBrand 's comment.
    It could also be due to a corrupted file in your TSTO game, so you may want to try deleting & re-downloading the app.
    Hope you're able to resolve the issue quickly.

Lately It Occurs To Me... What A Long Strange Trip It’s Been.
  • I had this issue in the past and contacted ea for support. I am certain they told me I needed 4 or 5 MB for the game to run smoothly.
  • I had this issue in the past and contacted ea for support. I am certain they told me I needed 4 or 5 MB for the game to run smoothly.

You mean GB, right?

• Sorry, yes. I should have been in bed 3 hrs ago.
  • 2 Gb is the absolute minimum really as you have to remember that the device will use so much storage for swap files, virtual ram etc, the reason it's re-downloading every time you start your game is due to some files being marked as temporary files due to how the game is programmed, if you free up some more storage space I'm fairly sure that it will fix your problem.
  • Per my original post I am having the same problem on my 5S with 32gb. Before iOS 11 I always had around 500mb free and the game ran without any problems. Now I have about 1.3gb free and it is constantly being offloaded (daily). Other the the os nothing else changed so this is very perplexing. I can’t afford to constantly use up my data in order to keep my game progress up to date. A fix for this would be very appreciated.
  • albear140 wrote: »
    Per my original post I am having the same problem on my 5S with 32gb. Before iOS 11 I always had around 500mb free and the game ran without any problems. Now I have about 1.3gb free and it is constantly being offloaded (daily). Other the the os nothing else changed so this is very perplexing. I can’t afford to constantly use up my data in order to keep my game progress up to date. A fix for this would be very appreciated.

Sorry, but I doubt that this is going to be fixable in the way that you envision.

• Its redownloading on my samsung phone too, i reloaded the app but keeps downloading
  • I'm experiencing the same issue. Every time I close the app, it deletes the files and wants to redownload 750 MB even though I have 2+ GB free on my phone. I used to be able to have zero KB left with iOS 10 according to storage and it wouldn't delete the Tapped Out files.

I tried turning off the offloading feature (in both the App Store and General Storage settings), deleting and reinstalling, rebooting the phone and leaving the game open for extended periods of time but I still get the same behavior. I'm guessing Apple is trying to force users to have at least 2 GB free on their phone and iOS is deleting the large files. I was hoping there would be some sort of "Never offload" option with each app, but I don't see any setting for it. Maybe in updates.

Please update if anyone has found a workaround. Hopefully something gets fixed before the THOH update hits which is likely tomorrow.
  • Same here, and on top of that I am unable to login to my new iphone 8. Wrong password error...strange