EA Forums - Banner

Incredibly lazy developing

Replies

• I mean I spent more on the first 24 hours of County Fair than XXVII
  • Last year crafted a bunch of pyres because they were cool.

Then a few months ago they were offered at 2500 cash or so and I felt like an idiot crafting them.

Then I forgot to buy a bunch of them before they left the store and I felt stupider.

Now they have returned as craftables. But why craft them when they may just show up for 2500 cash again?!
  • I must admit, I'm slightly disappointed so far. I have the vast majority of the craftables from previous years, and the few that remain I won't want more than a couple of as it won't look right in my town. It seems a little lazy to have so many glitches right off the bat as well but as I'm not a developer I'm not too upset as they fixed it fairly quickly. The actual theme I like, but I'm a little bored of the same event mechanics, it's a little stale now. I'd be happy with pretty much any other mechanics really, just a change of any kind would be welcome!
    Overall I'm just glad of a few new things and Autumn trees
  • As a player that’s been at it for a few years now, every single one of the nice prizes says “you already have one of these in your town”. I hope they add some more crafting prizes, because I’m not about to build a hundred walls which will be forever in my inventory as the crafting items can never be sold or trashed. :(
  • Guess I got a nice, long, 40+ day break coming my way! 4+ year's and this is the first event Ever that I just don't care enough to try. Very disappointing.
    "I gave him a couple of blintzes to paint my fence but he never did it! "
  • Speaking for the newbies; it is nice to be able to get some of the neat stuff without having to have a ton of donuts.
    There is nothing more disappointing than to not be able to craft items because you just don't have the characters necessary because you've only been playing for a few weeks. This happened to me with Stonecutters. I almost quit. I can't spend real money on donuts, fixed income won't allow it. So I've had to work harder to get to where I am now. My multiplier isn't in the thousands, I believe it is around 415%, so getting bonuts is a grind.
    Crafting is a easy way to get the things starters missed out on.

I know that some people can't wait to throw donuts out to rush things. Then they complain that the event is too long and boring. Here's a thought, don't rush! Try playing like you are still at level 30 and don't have half of the characters. Send only the minimum number of characters on tasks. Take your time and do a Martin. Visit all of your neighbors just to see what they are doing. Start a new Springfield and really see what it was like when you were just starting out. Do a grind town.

But please, don't come to the forum and complain about how you are bored or disappointed with the current event. Like my mother said, "if you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all."
    There are other things I would like to say, but they would mean going against my mothers advise. That and the moderators would be not nice to me.
  • Speaking for the newbies; it is nice to be able to get some of the neat stuff without having to have a ton of donuts.
    There is nothing more disappointing than to not be able to craft items because you just don't have the characters necessary because you've only been playing for a few weeks. This happened to me with Stonecutters. I almost quit. I can't spend real money on donuts, fixed income won't allow it. So I've had to work harder to get to where I am now. My multiplier isn't in the thousands, I believe it is around 415%, so getting bonuts is a grind.
    Crafting is a easy way to get the things starters missed out on.

I know that some people can't wait to throw donuts out to rush things. Then they complain that the event is too long and boring. Here's a thought, don't rush! Try playing like you are still at level 30 and don't have half of the characters. Send only the minimum number of characters on tasks. Take your time and do a Martin. Visit all of your neighbors just to see what they are doing. Start a new Springfield and really see what it was like when you were just starting out. Do a grind town.

But please, don't come to the forum and complain about how you are bored or disappointed with the current event. Like my mother said, "if you can't say something nice, then say nothing at all."
    There are other things I would like to say, but they would mean going against my mothers advise. That and the moderators would be not nice to me.

Half agree.

I never rush, waste of donuts.
    The real issue (my opinion) is that over HALF of the craftables are repeats, not to mention some are unique which while great for stockpiling crafting materials, is not so great if nothing good to craft is available.

That said, I generally like every other aspect of this event, it doesn't scream scary, but that's okay. I can live with Giant NPCs and weird little Corners, the Potter spin is whatever.

Issues arise, such as why doesn't Werewolf Flanders not have any tasks rewarding Gold or Wands, when he is available for crafting. It doesn't make much sense, even Peasant SVT has crafting material tasks. However I digress, it is a better event than the Pagan Xmas for some, how I know?

Much less complaints.

Nevertheless, this year boasted some pretty Rad events.
  • skachick7000
    35 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    I'm disappointed, too. I miss the days of random type events and new decorations. I absolutely hate crafting, and it's no fun if you already own most of it. Some of the items they re-hash in these events don't even really fit with the theme. I mean it's Halloween! If you run out of ideas, ask the players what they'd like to see. I think they just geared the game towards newer players and it's easier just to rehash everything. I know it's early in the event, and I'll still play, but it's definitely not as fun anymore. That said, I do like the Harry Potter theme, although it's several years late.
  • I'm disappointed, too. I miss the days of random type events and new decorations. I absolutely hate crafting, and it's no fun if you already own most of it. Some of the items they re-hash in these events don't even really fit with the theme. I mean it's Halloween! If you run out of ideas, ask the players what they'd like to see. I think they just geared the game towards newer players and it's easier just to rehash everything. I know it's early in the event, and I'll still play, but it's definitely not as fun anymore. That said, I do like the Harry Potter theme, although it's several years late.

I'm not singling you out, but this comment keeps popping up.

Tapped Out was released.around 2011-2012 right? That was basically the end of the Potter years.

In fact I will applaud them for choosing that over
    ..IT, don't get me wrong I like Stephen king Novels, and a Halloween event revolving ONLY Stephen king Novels would be cool, but I hate creepy clowns.

It's not my fear, it's just a stab reflex.
    Clown.
    *Inner monologue* Stab it. *End monologue*

However, in recent years The Potter verse has made a comeback, with the Cursed Child, rumors of a new Potter series as well as the planned film series of Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them. This is not the best time, true, but by setting ground work now, if the Potterverse does make a comeback, it will be a good foundation to build upon.

However trends die too easily nowadays, within a month Pokemon Go went from millions of users to thousands, when Simpsons mentioned it it was considered "too late". Even though it was around that same year(?)

So I get that it's "late" but a ton of better content than Potter exists that could have been used, so in one hand better late than never, on the other better content exists causing this to be further fueled in debate.
  • I still haven't got the crafting or any Halloween items in my store... I can't work out which tasks I need to complete to get them??
  • afscott wrote: »
    This event is.....bad. There's nothing specifically Treehouse of Horror or Halloween about it. It's just a **** Harry Potter "joke" which is about 5 years late and not at all funny.

The crafting and unlockable items are terrrrrrrible.
    This is how the show has been for a while, too. Pop culture references that are too late for real, cutting edge parody.

This event isn't doing it for me as a THOH event, but as a magic event it's fine. Feels more like a follow up to Clash of Clans.
  • I was hyped for this event and now I can barely bother. I have sent my characters to the recycling plant to get the resetting donuts. The only purchase I made with donuts were Angelica.

No spooky trees and no Witch Marge, what a dull event for older players.
  • I was hyped for this event and now I can barely bother. I have sent my characters to the recycling plant to get the resetting donuts. The only purchase I made with donuts were Angelica.

No spooky trees and no Witch Marge, what a dull event for older players.

Well I see Witch Marge on the wiki so there something for you to look forward too I suppose.
    TOUK is the best also have you considered Nuking. Don't forget about the Springfield Showcase
  • This is how the show has been for a while, too. Pop culture references that are too late for real, cutting edge parody.

This event isn't doing it for me as a THOH event, but as a magic event it's fine. Feels more like a follow up to Clash of Clans.
    They even made reference to this on the show, but I forget which episode. It takes a very long time to make a single episode of the Simpsons. Something can be written when it is relevant, and by the time the episode is completed and airs, it seems outdated. That's just the way it is. They can't make parodies about things that are going to happen in the future. Fads move much more quickly now than they did 30 years ago.
    All the whiners really are annoying. If you are so bothered with the event, maybe you would prefer if they stopped making the game altogether. Or maybe you should stop playing it and find something else to moan about.
  • Another massive disappointment for me is the non use of characters people already have, EA seem hugely reluctant to make the game easier for new players and harder for people with more characters. Why? It’s the only way maintaining interest in my eyes.
  • Groovephil wrote: »
    Another massive disappointment for me is the non use of characters people already have, EA seem hugely reluctant to make the game easier for new players and harder for people with more characters. Why? It’s the only way maintaining interest in my eyes.

That's business. That's how all these games are. Tinyco are worse I have discovered. The reason is simple. If EA sells someone a character, they get money for it. If they let that character be used for more events, they aren't getting any more money for it later. Better for them to create a NEW character that they sell for more money. Then players are like, ok I need to buy this NEW character for this new event. It's always about money.
  • This is how the show has been for a while, too. Pop culture references that are too late for real, cutting edge parody.

They even made reference to this on the show, but I forget which episode. It takes a very long time to make a single episode of the Simpsons. Something can be written when it is relevant, and by the time the episode is completed and airs, it seems outdated. That's just the way it is. They can't make parodies about things that are going to happen in the future. Fads move much more quickly now than they did 30 years ago.

LOL. Well, obviously. In that case, realise it won't be relevant and don't make parodies. Come up with actual stories and reference shared experiences that are beyond fads and pop culture because, and you're right, it does move faster now. They used to do that. When the show was good. Now the show is written for a laughter track it doesn't have with simple jokes that have removed all layers of humour. You can't say with a straight face that you haven't noticed.

As for the game. There are always whiners. People want it to be better, to stop gouging people for money, reward longer term players a bit more, be original, use classic content etc etc. The usual. Valid points, but the game is what it is. Play or not but the opinions are valid and worthy of discussion.
  • I don't think that is a fair assessment. So you can't enjoy something if it's "old." I enjoy many things that are old. Old movies. Old television shows. Old games. Etc. And it certainly doesn't mean you can't make a joke about something from the past. If you couldn't reference the past, you'd have nothing to say.

There have been complaints about how the Harry Potter reference is "too late." So that means no one can like Harry Potter anymore? In that case, no one is also allowed to like any of the new super hero movies. All those superheroes are OLD. It's just stupid. Harry Potter is pretty classic now. I'm not actually a fan myself, but there are huge fans all over the world. I was recently in Scotland where they do Harry Potter tours because a lot of the stuff in the books is based on places and events in Scotland. One tour I was on (which was NOT a Harry Potter tour) they mentioned a few places we were passing that were associated with Harry Potter. Random people in this non Harry Potter tour were so enthralled they had to stop and get photos of themselves there. I think people have forgotten to tell them they aren't allowed to be interested in Harry Potter anymore.

It is also extremely annoying when people claim the show isn't "good" anymore. That's your opinion. I grew up with the Simpsons. I was a kid when I watched it back when it first started and I've watched it ever since. It got really shaky, I think, during season 11 when Mike Scully was the show runner. But they've made a come back since then. The shows are different now than they used to be. And I think they have to be. Television has changed a lot in the past 30 years. People have changed a lot in the past 30 years, and I don't think you can watch a television show now and expect it to be the same as it was 20 years ago. People have such short attention spans now. No one wants to wait for anything. Back in the day, you would build a story. You probably can't even do that anymore because people will go, "Yawn this is boring. It isn't going anywhere." Everyone expects instant gratification.

I still think the show is good. For 30 years, it has always been like some episodes are great, some episodes are so-so and some are kinda meh. The thing is, you remember the great episodes from the past and forget the bad ones. Then you think they were all "great" "back then." I don't agree at all. There were some back then I absolutely hated. And some I loved. Same now. People always view things from the past through rose coloured glasses.
  • It's fun to say you're enjoying something that's clearly bad just so that you're different, isn't it?
  • meinaz
    5440 posts Member
    afscott wrote: »
    It's fun to say you're enjoying something that's clearly bad just so that you're different, isn't it?

Or possibly people are enjoying it. I loved the pagan winter event and others hated it. I didn't like it just to be different. I thought the crafting stuff was really cool and I liked the prizes. I don't mind this event. Some of the prizes are cool. I like the new craftables although I could do without the returning items to craft. I tend to focus on what I like about the event and don't think about the negatives. I like the wizards and spells but I don't feel like it should be a big event. I feel like the content is enough for a mini event instead.