EA Forums - Banner

iOS 11 - Constant Re-Download

Replies

• Same load up issues here too. I have an iPhone SE, and it only developed these load problems after updating to iOS 11.

Mine is quite annoying though; It'll tell me it needs to download the data, but can't find any wifi (even though the phone is connected to my wifi!), and insists on downloading the entire game over my mobile signal. This doesn't happen every time, but it's happened enough to irritate me.
  • I've been having this problem for a few weeks as well. It's getting to the point that I'll likely stop playing unless there is a fix.

I've tried everything I can think of including most of the advice in here.
  • Has anybody tried a factory reset?
  • i am experiencing the same issue on my iPhone SE. I have also contacted EA but all their efforts to fix failed so far. i have 2+ gb free so it makes little sense it has nothing to do with new iOS when previously i had barely 1 gb free on iPhone 4S & game ran smoothly.
  • jozinko83 wrote: »
    i am experiencing the same issue on my iPhone SE. I have also contacted EA but all their efforts to fix failed so far. i have 2+ gb free so it makes little sense it has nothing to do with new iOS when previously i had barely 1 gb free on iPhone 4S & game ran smoothly.

Maybe you have too much free memory.

• antpants7
    375 posts Member
    edited October 2017
    Happening to me too. ugh
  • Just found this discussion as I’ve been experiencing this too. Only been happening on my iPad mini 2 since the iOS 11 update. It’s making me want to quit the game after playing for several years. So frustrating!
  • It’s been bad recently. Everyday for the past three days.
  • I’ve never had a problem on my game. And I’ve played now on 3 different iPhones. But my daughter just started playing the game on her iPad mini 2. It does this constant redownload every time. And she has 6 GBs free!! That’s a lot of free space imo. Not sure what to do.
  • I'm not an iOS user but with 6gb of space it has to be something new in version 11 that is doing temporary file clean up either at a specific time or on closing down the game that is causing it as it's removing temporary files used by the game that is then having to be downloaded again so that you can play, from what I understand EA mark certain files in the game as temporary so that they can be easily replaced during the update process rather than having to go to the market place every time the game needs an update and it's those files being removed, do you know if they have added some new file cleaning system or updated the way the existing version works as it might just be a case of changing some settings for the issue to be sort, anyway best of luck fixing this rather annoying problem.
  • I'm not an iOS user but with 6gb of space it has to be something new in version 11 that is doing temporary file clean up either at a specific time or on closing down the game that is causing it as it's removing temporary files used by the game that is then having to be downloaded again so that you can play, from what I understand EA mark certain files in the game as temporary so that they can be easily replaced during the update process rather than having to go to the market place every time the game needs an update and it's those files being removed, do you know if they have added some new file cleaning system or updated the way the existing version works as it might just be a case of changing some settings for the issue to be sort, anyway best of luck fixing this rather annoying problem.

Not sure, but I have offloading turned off.
  • Update: my daughters game did NOT for the first time today redownload. Last night I cleared space on her iPad mini 2. She now has 6 GB free. I was skeptical, but I just tried the game, and it opened normally. I will check again later to see if it holds. If it does, it might mean clearing a certain amount of gigs for the game to run properly.
  • Twice today already?!?
  • Twice today already?!?
    My experience is that it’s a space thing. My daughters game has played completely fine since I cleared enough space.
  • rockyb2006 wrote: »
    Twice today already?!?
    My experience is that it’s a space thing. My daughters game has played completely fine since I cleared enough space.

I have 2.65gb free. Before ios11 I barely space had any and never issues.
    Twice today already?!?

iOS 11 has a bigger footprint than its predecessor. The game itself has gotten bigger over time and is demonstrably more resource hungry — especially during big events. The argument that 2 or 3 GB was previously sufficient and therefore ought to be sufficient now seems to me as a shaky one. Further, the strategy of refusing to even try to address the problem by clearing additional memory strikes me as unproductive.

• iOS 11 has a bigger footprint than its predecessor. The game itself has gotten bigger over time and is demonstrably more resource hungry — especially during big events. The argument that 2 or 3 GB was previously sufficient and therefore ought to be sufficient now seems to me as a shaky one. Further, the strategy of refusing to even try to address the problem by clearing additional memory strikes me as unproductive.[/quote]

That’s rediculas that a game developer would expect someone to have 3gb of memory free for their game. That would mean on my iPhone (16gb) I can only have 4 games and barely any other apps. There is no way this is correct. Might be time to move from EA games.

Twice today already?!?

iOS 11 has a bigger footprint than its predecessor. The game itself has gotten bigger over time and is demonstrably more resource hungry — especially during big events. The argument that 2 or 3 GB was previously sufficient and therefore ought to be sufficient now seems to me as a shaky one. Further, the strategy of refusing to even try to address the problem by clearing additional memory strikes me as unproductive.

And I have been “productive” (odd word choice) by deleting apps I rarely use and moved all my photos to my prime account. EA not responding to this is issue is “unproductive”
  • .....and again since my 5:10 post?!?!
    Twice today already?!?

And I have been “productive” (odd word choice) by deleting apps I rarely use and moved all my photos to my prime account. EA not responding to this is issue is “unproductive”

I’m not trying to be snarky here. I will merely note that if you intend to wait for EA to somehow “fix” this problem, you may be waiting a very long time.