EA Forums - Banner

Triffids explained.....sort of

hah good ot know, right now only cletus will get close enough to get eaten

Replies

• Platform327
    11 posts
    edited March 2013
    So what happens if you grow the triffids?

I've had the prompt for months and haven't bothered growing them yet. Kinda feels like it'll be the end of the game. Also surprised no one's discussed it here yet.

Thanks.

• VxMarmitex9
    956 posts
    edited March 2013
    So what happens if you grow the triffids?

I've had the prompt for months and haven't bothered growing them yet. Kinda feels like it'll be the end of the game. Also surprised no one's discussed it here yet.

Thanks.

You just get XP and no cash, I think it's 200 XP
  • Platform327
    11 posts
    edited March 2013
    Thanks, I think I'll risk it then.
  • philieb
    930 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    emdacy wrote:
    I was wondering if I had missed something about the triffids. I own the seasons up through 12 and haven't been able to catch every show for a few years so its highly possible I just missed it. An Internet search brough the triffid Wikipedia page.

If you we're wondering, it's a fictitious, mobile, highly carnivorous plant from an old sci-fi novel. The end of humanity would be the result if these things got free (and if they were real).

I would have loved to be around the writers table when this one was posited. "What are Simpsons plants? Well there's tomacco. What else? Oh WTH, lets do triffids."

Good research there. Very interesting.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    emdacy wrote:
    I was wondering if I had missed something about the triffids. I own the seasons up through 12 and haven't been able to catch every show for a few years so its highly possible I just missed it. An Internet search brough the triffid Wikipedia page.

If you we're wondering, it's a fictitious, mobile, highly carnivorous plant from an old sci-fi novel. The end of humanity would be the result if these things got free (and if they were real).

I would have loved to be around the writers table when this one was posited. "What are Simpsons plants? Well there's tomacco. What else? Oh WTH, lets do triffids."

There is at least a tenuous link between the television show and triffids. Specifically, it has been suggested that the show's writers were probably aware of the "existence" of triffids. Here goes: In 1999, "Wild Barts Can't Be Broken" was aired. The episode centered around an imposed curfew and the subsequent resistance to the curfew by the town's children. The plot (and, more to the point, a fictional movie referenced by the episode called THE BLOODENING) is a bit of a nod to the 1960 film VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. VILLAGE was based on a 1957 novel written by popular British sci-fi author John Wyndam. And (finally) Wyndam also wrote DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1951). There was a film version of TRIFFIDS in 1962. There may be a more direct link, but I'm not aware of it.
  • russdaren
    23 posts
    edited March 2013
    emdacy wrote:

There is at least a tenuous link between the television show and triffids. Specifically, it has been suggested that the show's writers were probably aware of the "existence" of triffids. Here goes: In 1999, "Wild Barts Can't Be Broken" was aired. The episode centered around an imposed curfew and the subsequent resistance to the curfew by the town's children. The plot (and, more to the point, a fictional movie referenced by the episode called THE BLOODENING) is a bit of a nod to the 1960 film VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED. VILLAGE was based on a 1957 novel written by popular British sci-fi author John Wyndam. And (finally) Wyndam also wrote DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS (1951). There was a film version of TRIFFIDS in 1962. There may be a more direct link, but I'm not aware of it.
    it was also a movie.
    "Day of the Triffids"
  • jrush2point0
    91 posts
    edited March 2013
    Spend money, wait, get XP. That is all.
  • canonmills
    111 posts
    edited March 2013
    It's an awesome book. Clearly a big influence on 28 Days Later but with plants instead of zombies.
  • glennsoe
    184 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    How much is the xp payout?
  • VxMarmitex9
    956 posts
    edited March 2013
    glennsoe wrote:

200xp I think
  • markfcs
    16 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    I thought everyone knew what a triffid was! Classic horror film up there with War of the Worlds. (There was a recent remake as a mini-series here in the uk)

Not sure I ever understood why they were in here, I assumed a Halloween special I had missed.
  • justus531
    116 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    markfcs wrote:
    Not sure I ever understood why they were in here, I assumed a Halloween special I had missed.

I just assumed it was a commentary on Cletus' hillbillyness: so off the reservation that he'd actually grow a world-ending crop.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • PlacentaSandwich
    1148 posts
    edited March 2013
    glennsoe wrote:
    It's 150Xp, I'm sure.
    More if you have Premium Items.
  • skylarkpilot
    192 posts
    edited March 2013
    Grew Triffids just because it was there and I was curious. I was disappointed that nothing else happened, also grew real corn......that time passed real slow !
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!