EA Forums - Banner

Downloading updates over and over

Prev1
djhts
4 posts New member
Hey, is anyone having a problem where they have to download updates (799.8mb) and sign back into EA every time you start the game? This has been happening all week and is one of the reasons I didn't finish the last event as I don't have enough data to do this everyday.

Replies

• Sounds like your device is at its limit. Try freeing up some data and hopefully that will work.
  • Could be something corrupt in your game file. Uninstall it and then install again and this should fix it. You won't lose anything. Happened to me a couple weeks back.
    But my mum says I'm cool
  • This is also happening to me. I have done what was suggested here (uninstall and reinstall and free up space ) and it's still doing it. 3 days straight it has made me update and it's the same 788.3MB every time.
  • djhts wrote: »
    Hey, is anyone having a problem where they have to download updates (799.8mb) and sign back into EA every time you start the game? This has been happening all week and is one of the reasons I didn't finish the last event as I don't have enough data to do this everyday.
    mts80722 wrote: »
    This is also happening to me. I have done what was suggested here (uninstall and reinstall and free up space ) and it's still doing it. 3 days straight it has made me update and it's the same 788.3MB every time.

Welcome to the forums :smiley: to you both.
    The issue you have is common.
    It is because your device needs more memory free to run the game. Delete a few apps you don't use or clean browser caches, etc... to free up some extra memory space and you should be fine.
    If you have plenty of memory open (500mb or so) and still have this problem you might have to contact EA support. (idk how that works)
  • djhts
    4 posts New member
    Tried both of those and unsuccessful, anyone else experiencing this problem?
  • djhts
    4 posts New member
    Also, sorry, thank you for the suggestions.
    Tried both of those and unsuccessful, anyone else experiencing this problem?

How much free memory do you have?

Hi @djhts

I am not currently experiencing this problem, but have had it happen in the past. As previously mentioned, check your available memory. It may be as simple as deleting some unused apps on your device to free up some room. If that's not the problem with your device do the following:
    1. Delete the game from your device (make sure you have an account first).
    2. Power down your device. Just setting it in sleep mode is not good enough. Turn off the power completely.
    3. Wait two minutes.
    4. Turn your device back on.
    5. Reinstall the game. As it is downloading you will have the option to "tap to play while the the game installs in the background." Never ever ever do this. Wait until the download is complete before proceeding.
    6. Log back in to your account.
    7. Open the game.

This has always worked for me. If you're still experiencing the same problem after following steps 1-7, contact EA Support.
  • I had this issue subsequent to ios11 update. It’s definitely space related, I had to keep at least 4gb of space free and after freeing that amount of space the problem has gone away
  • When your device has not enough free memory space iOS decides what is safe to delete so you can still using the device.

TSTO updates are on this category, because you can download it again. And it’s big, so iOS think it will solve the problem causing a minimum problem to you.
  • Often it is the space issue which has been alluded to by several posters already. However, since the last major OS update this has been an issue some for iOS users even though adequate space was available. I had this problem a couple of times, but then it just stopped for no particular reason.

@djhts are you on iOS?
    Always looking to add active forum members! But please PM me first.
  • 00becker wrote: »
    djhts wrote: »

Hi @djhts

I am not currently experiencing this problem, but have had it happen in the past. As previously mentioned, check your available memory. It may be as simple as deleting some unused apps on your device to free up some room. If that's not the problem with your device do the following:
    2. Power down your device. Just setting it in sleep mode is not good enough. Turn off the power completely.
    3. Wait two minutes.
    5. Reinstall the game. As it is downloading you will have the option to "tap to play while the the game installs in the background." Never ever ever do this. Wait until the download is complete before proceeding.
    7. Open the game.

This has always worked for me. If you're still experiencing the same problem after following steps 1-7, contact EA Support.

My question is what do mean had always worked. If the technique works the surely you only have to do it once then you never have to do it again?
  • 00becker wrote: »
    djhts wrote: »

Hi @djhts

3. Wait two minutes.
    7. Open the game.

My question is what do mean had always worked. If the technique works the surely you only have to do it once then you never have to do it again?

The situation can repeat itself if your device starts filling up again, or if a new update is bigger and requires more space.
  • My device has plenty of space. This issue has nothing to do with space.
  • My device has plenty of space. This issue has nothing to do with space.

A question and a comment. The question: How much space is plenty? The comment: The issue clearly has something to do with amount of available memory in at least a subset of cases since freeing up additional memory will sometimes resolve it.

• Yeah but overall there is something wrong.

Even where there is a space or memory issue downloading 1.4GB is not a logical fix to a lack of space.

EA need to improve the update process so that it doesn't do this where there is sufficient space and so that if there is insufficent space then the code resolves the issue without a 1.4 GB update which is clearly not required over and over again.

So lets put this issue back on EA where it belongs.
  • It is your device not EA. Otherwise we would all have it.
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • They just wont blame apple for anything. They refuse to. If the phone is deleting the content, how is that EA's fault?
  • The apple issue is total whacko. I don't have an apple phone.

This is happening to people with none crazy apple phones and lots of space still it does it.

I don't think there is any reason for this game to be 1.4GBs big at all.

EA are doing a terrible job of coding their game.

What about the times they create an issue which everybody does have. Is that just everybody's devices fault?
  • If none of the advice offered above is of any help with your issue the only thing that can help you is to directly contact EA support and ask for their help as there's nothing that we can do to fix the problem that you have.