EA Forums - Banner

how do you design your areas?

i have gotten into designing my town more and i have noticed that i always do it in the same way when i cant come up with a good enough design the type of design i always do is a theme park sort of thing with one big attraction at the top and a few small things side by side. I noticed this first when i was determined i was going to make a alien town but what i wanted to do for it did not work so i made a them park design as i usually do with a few tweaks here and there. but i gotta ask you do you usually do a certain type of design when you cant think of something or do you just make it work no matter what?

Replies

• My towns are purely utilitarian. My buildings are divided into streets from ocean up with all the same payouts in the same rows. 1 hour buildings, 2 hour buildings, 3 hour buildings, etc.
  • I usually have an idea of what to do with an item before I buy it. If not I have an area it gets dumped into until inspiration strikes
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • I really didn't have a design plan when I first started, so everything was kind of a mish-mash. I started to move buildings and decos on the fly past Level 100.

Now I have a lot of strip mall-style areas around my town. A lot of pavement, a lot of parking lots. :D
    Trying to control the horizontal & the vertical. Do not adjust your TV.
  • I usually have an idea before I get them then I try to imagine what it would look like in real life or how it appeared in the show and then work from that.

I put some straight in the inventory if I can't come up with anything.
    TOUK is the best also have you considered Nuking
  • devilhunt1449
    3425 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I sort of dump all the buildings of either a particular design theme or type together in a bunch then start swapping them around and spacing them out until I find something that I like, although I'm not one of the more artistic types of people I try my best and usually end up with a reasonable outcome.

Edit : Fix Typo.
    Post edited by devilhunt1449 on
  • Thought process revealed:

"Lots of pink buildings!" .................. (elapsed time- - 3 months)........... - - - > "Pinkville!"
  • I sort of dump all the buildings of either a particular design theme or type together in a bunch then start swapping them around and spacing the out until I find something that I like, although I'm not one of the more artistic types of people I try my best and usually end up with a reasonable outcome.

This entire quote describes me and the way I design to the letter, except the typo :) .
    My town 7/24/19: https://i.imgur.com/lu46rph.jpg. I accept most neighbor requests.
  • I design with the citizens in mind, where they would hang out, town squares, shopping areas, places they'd go after work, neighborhood needs ( corner KwikEMark, Try and Save, Church, Moe's ). I design for out of town trips, the beach, the desert, farms, Kamp Krusty. If I lived there, what would I want, where would I want to go.
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • My method is usually to close my eyes and point to a place in Springfield with my stylus and that is where I place the new item. :D:D
  • My basic layout originates from copying the opening sequence of the show. The power plant campus, tire fire, prison, town square, school, Burns Mansion, Duff brewery, and SF mountain, were all placed in relation to each other, exactly as they are in the show opener.

Then I attempt to mimic City planning in real life. So i have districts. Each new building is dropped into an existing district usually. Some of my districts are:

Town square in the middle
    Squidport Beach front
    Industrial
    Rural office parks
    The desert
    Mountain region
    The divided highway strip coming into town
    SH business Park
    SH promenade beach front
    Farmland
    Upper class neighborhood
    Middle class neighborhood
    Lower class neighborhood
    Lowest class hood

As i get more land on the edges, i shift entire districts, so i can distribute the extra space more evenly. I hate having all the latest new stuff on the edges. I don't build the town like layers on an onion.

Thanks for asking, happy tapping!
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • rw228
    1044 posts Member
    I try and replicate the show where I can. After that I try and place buildings that I think could be near each other (fast food place and a record store) then place the buildings and add decos after.
  • 4junk3000 wrote: »
    My basic layout originates from copying the opening sequence of the show. The power plant campus, tire fire, prison, town square, school, Burns Mansion, Duff brewery, and SF mountain, were all placed in relation to each other, exactly as they are in the show opener.

Then I attempt to mimic City planning in real life. So i have districts. Each new building is dropped into an existing district usually. Some of my districts are:

Town square in the middle
    Squidport Beach front
    Industrial
    Rural office parks
    The desert
    Mountain region
    The divided highway strip coming into town
    SH business Park
    SH promenade beach front
    Farmland
    Upper class neighborhood
    Middle class neighborhood
    Lower class neighborhood
    Lowest class hood

As i get more land on the edges, i shift entire districts, so i can distribute the extra space more evenly. I hate having all the latest new stuff on the edges. I don't build the town like layers on an onion.

Thanks for asking, happy tapping!

I do the same thing! It makes placing things much easier. Especially when there is new strips of land.
  • My slum is on fire :(
  • drugdemidzic
    70 posts Member
    edited December 2017
  • drugdemidzic
    70 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Sorry, I tried to post an imgur from my phone and failed miserably
  • LOL ^^ The pyro-club™
  • After each event I decide what items to keep out and what to store. I have a section for every event since day one represented in my town.
    Neighbour requirements: 100% Freemium. Daily Tapper. Send PM first.

• I find the current center and work my way out. The monorail just circulates my Springfield, and I have bus, taxi and my version of uber stops(I wish there were more car colors). But currently I am in grind and redesign mode to earn the rest of the land and redo my airport. But I also have spots where I design things and do screen grabs so when I do rebuild my Springfield I am ready.