EA Forums - Banner

New Apple Rule re Mystery Boxes

I thought some of you might be interested in this. First, because of the obvious implications of having to display odds in mystery boxes, but also that TSTO remains one of the most popular iOS games. I wish the rule would have been here for the Wheel. Odds of Sherry Bobbins, 0.0001%.

Apple announced a sweeping revision to the guidelines for its App Store yesterday, which now includes a provision that loot boxes must be transparent about their odds.

“Apps offering ‘loot boxes’ or other mechanisms that provide randomized virtual items for purchase must disclose the odds of receiving each type of item to customers prior to purchase,” reads the new rule, which will affect the most popular games on iOS, including Hearthstone, The Simpsons Tapped Out, and Clash Royale.

Replies

• To be honest I can't see as it will make that much difference to Tapped Out as the odds are already in the files so EA but if might be more upsetting to Tiny Co.
    Welcome to the forum, there's some fantastic information available on here.
  • The burns mystery boxes give out "prizes" in a predetermined order, so the odds really dont apply there. As far as the event boxes, if you have 5 items, I would imagine the odds would be 1 in 5. No great mystery there.
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • I should think this will apply to scratch cards? :/
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • To be honest I can't see as it will make that much difference to Tapped Out as the odds are already in the files so EA but if might be more upsetting to Tiny Co.

Agreed. These odds were never much of a mystery to those frequenting the various forums devoted to the game.

• sounds like it will only affect the scratch cards. Mystery boxes use donuts not cash. when buying donuts there are no odds you get a set ammount. So this should only apply to scratch cards that you buy with cash.
  • simp7fan
    4165 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Where does it mention real money? I see loot boxes mentioned....that's it.
    The burns mystery boxes give out "prizes" in a predetermined order, so the odds really dont apply there. As far as the event boxes, if you have 5 items, I would imagine the odds would be 1 in 5. No great mystery there.
    I'm sure once I saw the odds and they were different for each item. Look how most people didn't get the item they wanted until the box was empty. Yes, some are lucky and get them earlier.
    Here is my signature. Or maybe it's not.
  • hatchet669 wrote: »
    sounds like it will only affect the scratch cards. Mystery boxes use donuts not cash.

Why are you assuming it's only about regular money transactions and not in-game currency?

In any case, it's vaguely written. "each type of item" means they likely don't have to be super specific, i.e. "1 in 3 chance of a decoration".
  • When i read purchase it reads to me as money being exchanged for products. Just my **** hole opinion that's all. Carry on.
  • The burns mystery boxes give out "prizes" in a predetermined order, so the odds really dont apply there. As far as the event boxes, if you have 5 items, I would imagine the odds would be 1 in 5. No great mystery there.

You are confusing possibilities with probabilities.
  • I should not have used "Mystery Box" in the post. I really meant all of the various random prizes. Golden Scratcher for example. Those winter winter wonderland boxes may be another example.

Funny you mention that because the TC Futurama game had a patch today that included a new loot box purchasable with premium currency that already displays probabilities. There’s a Hermes skin labeled as “8% minimum probability” for example. Guessing Apple gave app publishers a heads-up before today’s public announcement.
  • aabcampos2 wrote: »
    The burns mystery boxes give out "prizes" in a predetermined order, so the odds really dont apply there. As far as the event boxes, if you have 5 items, I would imagine the odds would be 1 in 5. No great mystery there.

You are confusing possibilities with probabilities.

I spend most of my life that way; confused ;)

I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • Fantastic! If EA won’t listen to you, go to the
    Better Business Bureau.