EA Forums - Banner

iOS 11 - Constant Re-Download

Replies

• DOA40
    18 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    DOA40 wrote: »
    Made my own thread about this before realizing it's happening to others. My IPad is constantly updating this game and another. It's also logging me out of this game when I update. I have 5 gigs of free space and had yet to update to the new IOS. I'm doing so now in the hopes it will fix it. Because right now, this is getting annoying every time I log in

If you’re talking about upgrading to iOS 11 — If amount of free space is one of the governing factors affecting this issue, it would seem that upgrading to 11 wouldn’t have a positive effect since its footprint is larger than that of its predecessors. In fact, when 11 first appeared on the scene the number of users reporting this problem jumped quite a bit.

Yeah, I lost 2 gigs to the update, but this is obviously something on their end because this was happening even before I updated. This has got to be some kind of glitch with the Christmas update, because this wasn't happening to my game before this.

I shouldn't have to keep constantly redownloading updates every couple of hours when it's not updating anything. It's annoying and it needs to be fixed.
  • DOA40 wrote: »
    DOA40 wrote: »
    Made my own thread about this before realizing it's happening to others. My IPad is constantly updating this game and another. It's also logging me out of this game when I update. I have 5 gigs of free space and had yet to update to the new IOS. I'm doing so now in the hopes it will fix it. Because right now, this is getting annoying every time I log in

If you’re talking about upgrading to iOS 11 — If amount of free space is one of the governing factors affecting this issue, it would seem that upgrading to 11 wouldn’t have a positive effect since its footprint is larger than that of its predecessors. In fact, when 11 first appeared on the scene the number of users reporting this problem jumped quite a bit.

Yeah, I lost 2 gigs to the update, but this is obviously something on their end because this was happening even before I updated. This has got to be some kind of glitch with the Christmas update, because this wasn't happening to my game before this.

I shouldn't have to keep constantly redownloading updates every couple of hours when it's not updating anything. It's annoying and it needs to be fixed.

It almost certainly has nothing to do with the Christmas update. You’re over-generalizing from the sequence of events in your own game. A ton of users reported first experiencing the problem long before the Christmas update. And don’t hold your breath waiting for a fix.
  • I have the same problem running the game in iOS v. 11.2.5 on an iPad (newest version) with 32gb storage. I have 7.5 gb memory remaining, and the simpsons is essentially un-playable. FYI it’s not the game that’s being offloaded, Just the update to the game (i.e. there’s no download icon under the game icon). Running the simpsons on my iPad Air 2 with 128gb was fine. To anyone considering a 32gb iPad don’t bother. It’s not nearly large enough for modern apps esp. if you’re a gamer.
  • My re-downloads have been almost every time I opened the game today.
  • pgoddin wrote: »
    I have the same problem running the game in iOS v. 11.2.5 on an iPad (newest version) with 32gb storage. I have 7.5 gb memory remaining, and the simpsons is essentially un-playable. FYI it’s not the game that’s being offloaded, Just the update to the game (i.e. there’s no download icon under the game icon). Running the simpsons on my iPad Air 2 with 128gb was fine. To anyone considering a 32gb iPad don’t bother. It’s not nearly large enough for modern apps esp. if you’re a gamer.

You are essential correct, some of the game files are made/labled as temporary files so it's easier for the game makers to do updates to the game without it needing to be a store update, it's done that way so the update can easily overwrite them but for something reason iOS has taken to automatically deleting these as it sees them as temporary files and removes them either make more empty space in the storage area or just cleaning up the file system thus causing the re-download problem, now I don't work for either Apple or EA so I don't know who is at fault but it certainly seems to be iOS users that are mostly suffering from the issue unfortunately there isn't any simple fix for all users.
  • On my iPhone 5S this happens when I drop below 5GB of free space. (5GB!) Otherwise the game is running smoothly.

It screwed up the last 2 events :s
    Like this, the game is in an unplayable state.

It’s been months now..
  • devilhunt1449
    3614 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Floix124 wrote: »
    On my iPhone 5S this happens when I drop below 5GB of free space. (5GB!) Otherwise the game is running smoothly.

It screwed up the last 2 events :s
    Like this, the game is in an unplayable state.

It’s been months now..

What you have to remember is that the phone like all computer based equipment can use your storage as virtual ram and and this tends to happen more often on older devices with smaller amounts of ram memory due to ever increasing game size and also the OS also gets bigger with each update too, so once upon a time when that 1 gig of ram was enough for the phone OS and the game it unfortunately with the newer larger operating system and the increasing game size you might now suddenly require 3 gig of ram to play so ends up using your storage space as memory.

Edit typo
    Post edited by devilhunt1449 on
  • This has been happening to me on my iPad for the last 7 days and it is EVERY time I open the game. I have to install the update again, even when I'm playing 4-5 times a day. I've tried everything, uninstalling, clearing cach etc. I have now downloaded it on my mobile which is working perfectly (both ios 11.2) but I would much rather play on my Ipad.
  • I’ve had this problem ever since the Christmas update started. At least 4 time a day it redownloads and it’s such a huge frustration! It was working fine until then. I’ve complained to ea and at no point did they say it was anything to do with available memory on the phone. I had the same issue 3 years ago and again was never told it was a memory issue.
    I’ve deleted a couple of apps this morning and up until now, the game hasn’t redownloaded. Hopefully that will continue. Annoying that I’ve had to delete some things when I had just over 2gb of storage free!
  • same problem here.

the problem didnt start until after this last Holiday Update, either Christmas or Thanksgiving

i got so fed up during the Christmas update that i deleted the app all together

re-downloaded the app this weekend and the problem is still there

i see im not the only one

3838683 wrote: »
    same problem here.

the problem didnt start until after this last Holiday Update, either Christmas or Thanksgiving

i got so fed up during the Christmas update that i deleted the app all together

re-downloaded the app this weekend and the problem is still there

i see im not the only one

https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/192785/possible-solutions-for-re-downloading-apple-devices#latest
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • I have been having this same issue for the last few days. Constant reload a few times a day. I must say after 6 years of playing I am giving up. Tapping Out. Feel sad.
  • I have been having this same issue for the last few days. Constant reload a few times a day. I must say after 6 years of playing I am giving up. Tapping Out. Feel sad.

Did you attempt any of the solutions suggested in the thread posted above?
  • over 5gb till they fix it is needed to avoid- period :( And yes, it SUCKS
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • Had this stupid problem since Halloween. They never said anything about needing 5gb. Just that they know of problem and are working on it. Gave up playing on my iPhone and just use my iPad were it works. Limits my playing since I only play now when home.
  • This problem STILL persists. Sorry for the thread necromancy. But it’s important to note that through various iOS updates, deleting the app, clearing space that NONE of that works. It’s most definitely an issue with TSTO, not phone or tablet as the problem shows up on Apple and Samsung products. I play on an iPad and have 3GB free. I shouldn’t have to redownload that game every time now, especially when I’m only spending a few minutes at a time on it. It takes longer to redownload than the actual time I spend playing it,
    FWIW, I sent another ticket in the the EA halo desk about this. I expressly started that due to this bug, I play less and consequently spend less money on the app. If it can’t open correctly (to me that’s within a 30-60 second window as all my other apps do-or LESS) then EA does not deserve my money.
    We must speak where they will listen. Money is key here.
  • HFFL1 wrote: »
    This problem STILL persists. Sorry for the thread necromancy. But it’s important to note that through various iOS updates, deleting the app, clearing space that NONE of that works. It’s most definitely an issue with TSTO, not phone or tablet as the problem shows up on Apple and Samsung products. I play on an iPad and have 3GB free. I shouldn’t have to redownload that game every time now, especially when I’m only spending a few minutes at a time on it. It takes longer to redownload than the actual time I spend playing it,
    FWIW, I sent another ticket in the the EA halo desk about this. I expressly started that due to this bug, I play less and consequently spend less money on the app. If it can’t open correctly (to me that’s within a 30-60 second window as all my other apps do-or LESS) then EA does not deserve my money.
    We must speak where they will listen. Money is key here.
    Many players have stated that having 3GB free was NOT enough free space and once extra space was made available, the redownloading stopped. Some have needed around 5GB.
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/192785/possible-solutions-for-re-downloading-apple-devices#latest
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • I don't know how much free space I need exactly, 'cause I know I have less space on my iPad than is indicated on the storage bar (when the bar indicates 10GB free it's more likely around 5GB). I couldn't be bothered doing a reset, but anything less than 10GB indicated as free and TSTO redownloads, every time. More than 10GB free, no problem.
  • This is absolutely an issue only if you don't have enough free space on your device. End of story. Free up some more space.
  • Ever since the end of the event and the beginning of the mini event, I have to redownload the game everyday on my iPhone. 1500 MG. Ridiculous. I have 40GB free.