EA Forums - Banner

Dark Shadows TV Show 1966

johncolombo
11234 posts Senior Moderator
does anyone here like Dark Shadows? The original soap opera? I watched the whole series maybe 25 years ago :o but it's on amazon prime now, every episode. I'm re watching the who thing again, Last night I watched episodes 1-3. Curious if anyone else was watching or interested in watching so we can discuss here. It's more fun to watch when you have people to talk about it with.
Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ

Replies

• does anyone here like Dark Shadows? The original soap opera? I watched the whole series maybe 25 years ago :o but it's on amazon prime now, every episode. I'm re watching the who thing again, Last night I watched episodes 1-3. Curious if anyone else was watching or interested in watching so we can discuss here. It's more fun to watch when you have people to talk about it with.

My sister was once upon a time a huge fan of this show so I’ve “absorbed” a number of episodes. Pretty darned bad. Not quite Ed Wood bad, but close. That’s perhaps inevitable given the time pressures of a daily soap. There were blown lines, actors bumping into walls, fake bats suspended by strings, plots lines that were occasionally comically bizarre/bad, etc., etc. I re-visited some of the earlier episodes about 5 years ago. They were fun to watch for a while, but that kind of kitsch wears thin pretty quickly. Of course, that’s just my take.
  • johncolombo
    OK so one no. ;)
    anyone else?
  • OK so one no. ;)
    anyone else?

I think these sorts of shows are best watched by groups. I remember back when I was going to school, a bunch of us would get together for lunch, crowd into a small office, and watch one of those awful daytime soaps that used to be much more prevalent. We had a blast.

• johncolombo
    edited March 2018
    when I was in college in the dorms we used to all meet to watch General Hospital before heading down to the cafeteria. This was back during Luke and Laura's big story line leading up to their wedding and Laura's disappearance.
  • I watched the original in re-runs, saw the 1996 remake as it came out- LOVED it.... SO loved it, movie- meh, and I like Depp, but meh...
    But I love the shows, so fun, campy, vampire hotties lol
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • johncolombo
    edited March 2018
    I'm just on episode 4. I started at the very beginning this time rather than at the start of the Barabas episodes. It's still the same night after 4 days. It's been a very long night. :D
    Once Barabas shows up in episode 211 it's always nighttime.
  • Phinnea
    1388 posts Member
    Barnabas doesn't show for 200 episodes? I had no idea. It was super cheesy, but I did love it. The mistake they made with the revival, I think, is duplicating it. They should have written all new stories as though 30 years had past. I might check it out, but it might be better to leave it a memory...
    phinneacttf in the Crawl to the Finish
  • Ha, what a hoot! Haven’t heard the word Dark Shadows in ages. Excepting the remake.
    Grew up with parents for early years of my life, and I remember watching it with my older cool aunt.
    She also got me hooked on Doctor Who, and Shadows sounds like a super revist to my much younger days. Not sure if I will get through it all or binge through it like I did with Torchwood, but I looked forward to watching as I wait for the new Doctor.
    Thanks so much for the heads up John!
  • johncolombo
    I'm up to episode 24 now and really enjoying it. This is my first time watching episodes 1-204 or so.