EA Forums - Banner

ETA on glitch fix?

Replies

• Just contacted ea support to keep my glitch case alive. With a lot avoidings answers they told me that there would be a solution within 48 hours with a patch. Somehow I don't believe it, but I hope it's true...
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Daanige wrote: »
    Just contacted ea support to keep my glitch case alive. With a lot avoidings answers they told me that there would be a solution within 48 hours with a patch. Somehow I don't believe it, but I hope it's true...

Well, I dont recall a specific time frame being mentioned before. But then again, every other "the solution is just around the next corner" statement has been a complete lie, so why not this one too?

Edit, using the time of my original post, 6:10AM EST Thursday, April 26 as a benchmark, it should be fixed by 6:10 AM EST Saturday , April 28. I'll even throw in an extra day cause I'm a nice guy. So Sunday, April 26th 6:10AM EST everything will be sunshine and smiley faces, right, EA? We shall see...
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • Thanks for all your kind words and support. Hugs to you all!

I kinda blame myself for the template mess I am in, because I should have come and ask you guys. You would have warned me in time. Instead, I believed what I was told and that's the result.

There is a BBB kind of thing here, I am going to think about what and how to write. Or maybe I will struggle with EA a bit more, ask for some kind of recompensation (not that I have any hope in getting any). Maybe they could repay me some money I paid them over the years. I have the bills.

I don't know.

Another addition to the story: I couldn't prove the existence of my characters and the state of my town if I wanted to, because the game no longer offers me a chance to go back to my glitched town version.
    And they didn't write anything about making screenshots before the template town is created.
    So even if I wanted to struggle with proof, I couldn't. What's lost is lost forever.

I'm gonna offer my town to my brother, maybe he wants a secondary Springfield. As of right now, I consider myself over and out.

I will stay here at the forums, at least for a little bit longer, and post about my experiences in one piece for future consideration.

xx
  • Thanks for all your kind words and support. Hugs to you all!

I kinda blame myself for the template mess I am in, because I should have come and ask you guys. You would have warned me in time. Instead, I believed what I was told and that's the result.

There is a BBB kind of thing here, I am going to think about what and how to write. Or maybe I will struggle with EA a bit more, ask for some kind of recompensation (not that I have any hope in getting any). Maybe they could repay me some money I paid them over the years. I have the bills.

I don't know.

Another addition to the story: I couldn't prove the existence of my characters and the state of my town if I wanted to, because the game no longer offers me a chance to go back to my glitched town version.
    And they didn't write anything about making screenshots before the template town is created.
    So even if I wanted to struggle with proof, I couldn't. What's lost is lost forever.

I'm gonna offer my town to my brother, maybe he wants a secondary Springfield. As of right now, I consider myself over and out.

I will stay here at the forums, at least for a little bit longer, and post about my experiences in one piece for future consideration.

xx

@czipotteszti thanks for everything. You have been a huge help, Im just sorry it had to be at tour expense. I had to start over in 2014, my ex changed all my passwords and security questions/answers so my original day 1 town is inaccessible. Really sucked starting over, and even now, years later I have replaced most, but not everything I had (I'm looking at you, Tom O'Flannagan!) It was fun in a way though, I only need 4 characters for a full set, and Zutroy is going to be available next week, so I will be 1 step closer. Just some food for thought for you.

Please feel free to stop by and say hi anytime you like if you give up. Playing the game isnt a requirement to be on here.
  • My best friend just called me and asked about the new gil deal... I told him to try his character select button, and it doesnt work. Poor guy. Been playing for 2 + years and spent a small fortune on this game. Not cool EA!
  • Daanige wrote: »
    Just contacted ea support to keep my glitch case alive. With a lot avoidings answers they told me that there would be a solution within 48 hours with a patch. Somehow I don't believe it, but I hope it's true...

Well, I dont recall a specific time frame being mentioned before. But then again, every other "the solution is just around the next corner" statement has been a complete lie, so why not this one too?

Edit, using the time of my original post, 6:10AM EST Thursday, April 26 as a benchmark, it should be fixed by 6:10 AM EST Saturday , April 28. I'll even throw in an extra day cause I'm a nice guy. So Sunday, April 26th 6:10AM EST everything will be sunshine and smiley faces, right, EA? We shall see...

I keep wondering if they ever do release a fix if it will fix us or break everyone else.
  • daved7637397
    7234 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Lifewoos wrote: »
    Daanige wrote: »

I keep wondering if they ever do release a fix if it will fix us or break everyone else.

That would be one way to "fix" it. Just make the broken game the new "normal"

Actually, while I can’t point to the precise post (or even the precise thread), EA reps have previously promised at least one other forum user that a patch would be forthcoming within a specific time frame (24 or 48 hours, as I recall). Needless to say, this promise went unfulfilled. I don’t know whether these staffers are simply misinformed or are outright lying to their customers. Neither situation is satisfactory.

One facet of many of these promises that always makes me suspicious is that they invariably involve a putative patch that will fix everything. I very much doubt that such a patch will ever be forthcoming. A future fix may address the glitch’s cause, although the form of that fix will greatly depending upon the precise nature and locus of the cause. But I suspect that for games already broken the only way to ”unbreak” them will continue to be some case-by-case approach (e.g., rollbacks).

Actually, while I can’t point to the precise post (or even the precise thread), EA reps have previously promised at least one other forum user that a patch would be forthcoming within a specific time frame (24 or 48 hours, as I recall). Needless to say, this promise went unfulfilled. I don’t know whether these staffers are simply misinformed or are outright lying to their customers. Neither situation is satisfactory.

One facet of many of these promises that always makes me suspicious is that they invariably involve a putative patch that will fix everything. I very much doubt that such a patch will ever be forthcoming. A future fix may address the glitch’s cause, although the form of that fix will greatly depending upon the precise nature and locus of the cause. But I suspect that for games already broken the only way to ”unbreak” them will continue to be some case-by-case approach (e.g., rollbacks).

I completely agree. I didnt remember anyone giving a time frame, but that doesnt mean it didnt happen, my memory isnt what it used to be. Its actually worse then it used to be ;)

Sadly, a good friend of mine just got hit this morning. He has been on the phone with EA for hours now trying to get it taken care of. If the business I work for treated their customers like EA does theirs, I would be out of a job really quickly.
  • OK, now I am done with EA! Deleting the game, never coming back.

I got a town that is about the 1/20 of my original, Springfield Hights missing, random characters that I have never seen, walking around. I have about 1/20 of the buildings I had, only a fraction of my land... they sure don't want me to screenshot my entire town?! My quests deleted, this event deleted, everything back to square one, and they have the nerves to say it's a level 122 town?

I'm sorry guys, I am extremely furious, not at you, just at the whole situation. I feel tricked and mistreated and cheated and abused.

NEVER ASK FOR A TEMPLATE TOWN, that is all I can say, and now I'm gonna go and cry out my frustration or punch something.

I have put money in this game and this is what I get. It's literally the size of a level 10 town, at best, Heights completely missing, my everything missing, money and donut count on the ground.

I mean.... didn't they have the chance to f....n LOOK at the town they made a template of?!

I'm sorry for the rant, but I am fairly sure I stop playing right at this moment. I am done, I quit.

@czipotteszti , I feel a little guilty as I assumed you saw this post HERE sharing about fine print of template towns that EA will NOT tell you until you re-ask the same digging questions about details.

When they offered me a template town they also offered ALL the donuts I have ever purchased over the last 4 years of playing (4,440 donuts total) so I can buy all my items again that would not be in the template town (even though it took me asking 4 times for them to admit I would not be buy everything from past events or that is still in the vault or crafted items from past events, etc...)

I would start to demand that since the template town offer was not correctly represented to you that EA MUST refund 100% of ALL donuts you have purchased to (re)buy your items you are now missing.
  • hobbesisreal
    578 posts Member
    edited April 2018

That was me.

Been down this road before back on March 25th........they see an updated is coming up to address A glitch and either they don't look any further to confirm it is a fix for THE glitch, or they don't know HOW to look at what the coming update will fix, OR simply just hoping this will stop the customer from pestering them.
    After I explained details of the history of this glitch (including how this has grown to more players with each update since the Time Event last year in June), and how my game was actually fixed, he put me on hold for about 10 minutes as he talked with another tech department.

He came back asked a few more details, and put me on hold for another 15 minutes as he looped in the higher management levels to look at my case that actually showed a proven fix.

He came back and said he is trying to get in contact with the development rep that actually figured out the real fix and is trying to get her and the development team and the upper management levels to talk together to apply this fix for not only my game that is now broken for the 7th time in 9 months....but for everyone.

So after about an hour on the phone.......He did say that the upper management team said that they are getting really close for a public update release fix and hopes this insight into how my game was fixed will help finalize their update for release. He did say that even though there is not an ETA for the release he said that he had collaborated confirmation from both the development team and the upper management that is is coming very soon. When I said that I have heard that for 9 months, he said that each time that is noted in my account by an EA rep there are no notes from the development about this but this time he has this from their team.

He did say that since they are so close to a fix release that rolling back a game right now could actually hinder the benefits of what the upcoming fix would address.

So....can't say anything for sure, but he did (for a nice change) really take the time and was drawing in 3 different departments together (the original EA developer that actually found a fix for my broken game / development team / upper management team) to get a final fix.

I got an update today. When I get confirmation the proposed update is released, I will see if has helped anyone here.......
    My main concern right now is with the Character button in the top left not functioning. Our studio team have been made aware of the various issues occurring and I do believe a patch will be going live later on this week so for now lets wait until this patch gets releases and see where we go from here.

I look forward to hearing from you later in the week with an update and if you are happy that most of the issues have been resolved. I will look into granting you a substantial amount of donuts as a one time gesture to thank you for your patience.
    Well....I got confirmation from EA that the fix today was NOT for this glitch. Here is what was shared from EA.....
    The patch today after researching was to fix an issue regarding the museum quest to crash, and not for the fixing the glitched games.

The difficult task the studio have is that the idle character button is not effecting every player. (myself included) so they are struggling to determine what and how they can fix this when it is not a general across the board issue.

My consensus is they will ask us to offer a templated land to users affected if this continues XXXXXXX.

As discussed, the amount of items you receive is quite staggering. The downside is you need to start with a Level 60 empty land but if you are creative then you have hundreds and hundreds of items waiting for you to place on your new land.

• EA could have a program that would restore the corrupted variables. Since the variables are on the server, they could even run iff every few hours. Does not fix the underlying cause, but certainly something most players could tolerate.

I suspect that the rep who claimed a 2 day fix was either misinformed by the developers or was starting a vacation in 2 days. I would recommend if a rep tells you a patch will be available in any specific time frame get the rep name and ask if they will be on duty at that Time.
  • johncolombo
    11515 posts Senior Moderator
    Hi all,
    I just received a communication from EA. A fix is still in the works. If you encounter this bug the best course of action is still to contact EA help.
    https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/?product=the-simpsons-tapped-out&category=technical-support&issue=game-progress-issues
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ
  • Hi all,
    I just received a communication from EA. A fix is still in the works. If you encounter this bug the best course of action is still to contact EA help.
    https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/?product=the-simpsons-tapped-out&category=technical-support&issue=game-progress-issues

Thank you for your time with trying to help!

Can you also share with them that they could be working on a two prong approach to this issue? And see what feedback you could get about a fixing solution too to eliminate the need for roll backs until the long term root cause is addressed?

As far resolving this issue, many of us who are more tech savvy (even programmer level) see it as two parts.....the Root Cause and fixing affected glitched games.

ROOT CAUSE
    Long term final solution that you confirmed. This is the obvious best thing to determine the underlying factors and correct them from corrupting the variables. Of course this is has been an issue for 1 year and 5 months but with small growing groups of players being affected each new event update until the last few events which had a MASSIVE explosion of players that hopefully has woken EA up to actually address this. But not holding my breath

SHORT TERM SOLUTION
    Currently the only short term solution is to roll back the game to the last known working backup file, which results in loss of progress on the player's part.

In addition to finding and fixing the root cause, I think that EA should also be working an patch fix that can be run by EA tech support whenever a customer calls in when hit with this glitch. This would be a process that would automatically look that items that are known to be effected by the glitch (i.e. character button, IRS radius, FP points, Monty's Mountain, mini games, etc.....) and see if either
    1. Variables are not valid for current update of the game
    2. Or are within known bad variable parameters

Then automatically restore the current correct variables. The last VERY GOOD AND KNOWLEDGEABLE EA rep I talked to this morning proved this is possible as he is able to look at a game backup file and immediately see if FP is set to 1, IRS is level 1, etc.... and knows that file is corrupted with the glitch.

This process could even scan the last backup files for that players game and validate that FP / IRS tapping radius / etc.. are above 1 variable, then if the current game is 1, it auto resets to last backup file without 1 variable to that file's variable levels.

I know this does not fix the root cause but gives EA customer quick and fast process to run against a player's glitched game so they can play again with out loosing progress. I know they will be hit again, cuz it does not fix root cause, but at least when hit again, player would know they can call EA and it can be fixed without loosing progress. IN fact players could even continue to play broken games and keep that progress whenever EA finally runs this auto process to fix it.
  • johncolombo
    11515 posts Senior Moderator
    Hi all,

Thank you for your time with trying to help!

Can you also share with them that they could be working on a two prong approach to this issue? And see what feedback you could get about a fixing solution too to eliminate the need for roll backs until the long term root cause is addressed?

As far resolving this issue, many of us who are more tech savvy (even programmer level) see it as two parts.....the Root Cause and fixing affected glitched games.

ROOT CAUSE
    Long term final solution that you confirmed. This is the obvious best thing to determine the underlying factors and correct them from corrupting the variables. Of course this is has been an issue for 1 year and 5 months but with small growing groups of players being affected each new event update until the last few events which had a MASSIVE explosion of players that hopefully has woken EA up to actually address this. But not holding my breath

SHORT TERM SOLUTION
    Currently the only short term solution is to roll back the game to the last known working backup file, which results in loss of progress on the player's part.

In addition to finding and fixing the root cause, I think that EA should also be working an patch fix that can be run by EA tech support whenever a customer calls in when hit with this glitch. This would be a process that would automatically look that items that are known to be effected by the glitch (i.e. character button, IRS radius, FP points, Monty's Mountain, mini games, etc.....) and see if either
    1. Variables are not valid for current update of the game
    2. Or are within known bad variable parameters

Then automatically restore the current correct variables. The last VERY GOOD AND KNOWLEDGEABLE EA rep I talked to this morning proved this is possible as he is able to look at a game backup file and immediately see if FP is set to 1, IRS is level 1, etc.... and knows that file is corrupted with the glitch.

This process could even scan the last backup files for that players game and validate that FP / IRS tapping radius / etc.. are above 1 variable, then if the current game is 1, it auto resets to last backup file without 1 variable to that file's variable levels.

I know this does not fix the root cause but gives EA customer quick and fast process to run against a player's glitched game so they can play again with out loosing progress. I know they will be hit again, cuz it does not fix root cause, but at least when hit again, player would know they can call EA and it can be fixed without loosing progress. IN fact players could even continue to play broken games and keep that progress whenever EA finally runs this auto process to fix it.

Sent. that's all I can do
    Volunteer EA Forum Senior Moderator/Hero EA Answers HQ

• Sent. that's all I can do
    Can't ask anything more!!!! Thank you!

• Thanks John. Youre really earning that promotion!
  • Actually the corrupt values should not be found as the database converts them to zero (0) when the record is saved. Computers start with zero while humans are use to starting with one. For example for Act 3, initialized the variable to 2, I assume, so level 3 crafting can be done. When the glitch hit my wife account again it was saved the variable as zero. So only level 1 crafting can be done now.

There will be no record of what the invalid entry was because the database always converts invalid entries as zero.
  • @datasurgeon I understand what you are saying about the database.......but there has to be some reference in the backup files as FP / IRS / etc... levels are visible as a EA customer service rep about can confirm the levels in the backup file so the variables are saved at some level. So could a process look at this level in the backup files and then find the first backup file that is above the first level and then transfer those variables to the current game?
  • Not necessarily, there may already be enough information in the database. For example the IRS building is level 9 but the radius is set 1. Just set the radius to the building level.
    Did the knowledgeable rep that fix you invalid variables, pull up an old copy of your town. I bet he could infer the correct values from related fields.