EA Forums - Banner

Why The New Land For Tokens Is Such An Epic Fail

13Next

Replies

• sideshowmrt2
    37 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I think the land tokens are a good way to make sure that only active players are unlocking new land.

I’m not sure I understand this. Could you elaborate a bit?

If you're active you get new land.
    If you're not active you will not get new land.
    You can no longer buy land with saved up in game currency.
    Logging in every week or so and buying new land will not be possible.
    Players that do not play the game often will not get to unlock new land.
    The unlocking of new land will only be possible if you are active and playing every day at least (unless you're just rushing every act with donuts).

I’m sorry. Maybe I’m just stupid, but I’ve read this three times and I still don’t understand why “land tokens are a good way to make sure that only active players are unlocking new land.” Oh, well.

My problem is that I get it — don’t play, no new land for you! — but I don’t understand how anyone benefits from that. Players? No, not seeing it. EA? Not seeing it, but if the argument is that it’s an incentive to play more, then it looks like a poor and pointless incentive to me. Storylines and content have always been and remain fine incentives. This one, if that’s what it is, doesn’t make much sense. (Even though, as said earlier, I don’t object to the land token system anymore.)
  • I think the land tokens are a good way to make sure that only active players are unlocking new land.

The unlocking of new land will only be possible if you are active and playing every day at least (unless you're just rushing every act with donuts).

I’m sorry. Maybe I’m just stupid, but I’ve read this three times and I still don’t understand why “land tokens are a good way to make sure that only active players are unlocking new land.” Oh, well.

My problem is that I get it — don’t play, no new land for you! — but I don’t understand how anyone benefits from that. Players? No, not seeing it. EA? Not seeing it, but if the argument is that it’s an incentive to play more, then it looks like a poor and pointless incentive to me. Storylines and content have always been and remain fine incentives. This one, if that’s what it is, doesn’t make much sense. (Even though, as said earlier, I don’t object to the land token system anymore.)

I get it. You don’t play, you don’t get any of the newer land parcels. That much seems pretty obvious and straightforward. What does this have to do with land tokens? Why are they so useful in ensuring that only active players unlock the newer land parcels?
  • I guess the idea there is that a player with lots of money could take long breaks and buy up any new land when they return to the game. With land tokens, you supposedly can’t take those long breaks, or you’ll miss out on the tokens.

I think that’s what the poster is getting at, but if that’s really EA’s intent, it doesn’t seem to be worthwhile.

There are already plenty of limited-time items to encourage people not to take long breaks. I can’t think of any really good reasons to make land one of them. Making land scarce to slow growth of the map, for better stability and compatibility with older devices, makes more sense to me.
  • I have 122 million burning a hole in my pocket and I’m only at level 204 can someone drop me the details of the rat trap method as I think it’s time to level up!
  • Groovephil wrote: »
    I have 122 million burning a hole in my pocket and I’m only at level 204 can someone drop me the details of the rat trap method as I think it’s time to level up!
    Hi neighbour! Here is a thread about farming:
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/149536/kwik-e-mart-also-known-as-kem-farming-guide#latest
    Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • I think the land tokens are a good way to make sure that only active players are unlocking new land.

Can't help you.
  • I guess the idea there is that a player with lots of money could take long breaks and buy up any new land when they return to the game. With land tokens, you supposedly can’t take those long breaks, or you’ll miss out on the tokens.

I think that’s what the poster is getting at, but if that’s really EA’s intent, it doesn’t seem to be worthwhile.

There are already plenty of limited-time items to encourage people not to take long breaks. I can’t think of any really good reasons to make land one of them. Making land scarce to slow growth of the map, for better stability and compatibility with older devices, makes more sense to me.

Right, I agree that token-only land plots may have the side effect of enforcing play during events, but there are other mechanisms EA might have employed that are far less onerous that could have achieved the same effect. And, as you say, this is a bit of a moot point. It’s pretty clear that the purpose of the token-only land is not to enforce participation, but to slow the rate of land acquisition.
  • I'm glad I read this post when I did. I'm only level 186 but still have a LOT of un-purchased land. For no reason other than I have plenty of cash (70 million at the moment) I have 19 unused land tokens that I've accumulated. I guess I'll just continue to only use cash to buy land areas until I am no longer able to do so.
  • Muhsterino wrote: »
    Groovephil wrote: »
    I have 122 million burning a hole in my pocket and I’m only at level 204 can someone drop me the details of the rat trap method as I think it’s time to level up!
    Hi neighbour! Here is a thread about farming:
    https://forums.ea.com/en/the-simpsons-tapped-out/discussion/149536/kwik-e-mart-also-known-as-kem-farming-guide#latest

Why thank you. 85 miilion pounds worth of rat trucks and the xp collider and I’m now at 939 with over 30 mil still in the bank. Oh and a thousand more donuts.

Time to grind those donuts when I get the money back up!
  • nice job getting to 939!
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • cdepast
    2463 posts Member
    one thing I realized, for the designers out there, is that many of the new items can go on squidport tiles. this works well for the s. beach / resort based content.
  • 0Brooders0
    2188 posts Member
    I'm really struggling to find the space for everything in this event :#

MORE LAND NOW EA!
    Be a part of another EA endorsed TSTO fan site at www.tapped-out.co.uk :)
  • fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member
    0Brooders0 wrote: »

MORE LAND NOW EA!
    same here
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish
  • mystery2mi
    2356 posts Member
    0Brooders0 wrote: »

MORE LAND NOW EA!
    same here

Me too
  • I am jonesin' for the last few parcels of land, too. But, I think there's an economics lesson in here some where.

EA kept the level system linked to the story lines of each event for a long time. For example, you had to reach level 9 to get Springfield Elementary and level 15 to place Moe's, etc. This kept levels at an artificially low point. If somehow, you got to "the next level" before the next event, you could earn precious Bonuts. Other than that, you had to buy Donuts.

I think conformity bonuses have a lot to do with the problem that we are in. When I first started playing, I thought the conformity bonus was limited to 500%. But there is no limit on the bonus, and KEM farming gives anyone who has spent enough time in the game, anything they want. Except land. So, land is the new premium currency. It's linked to events, just like the old days, too. The only other option EA had for land might have been to inflate land price tremendously. I really envy those who were hoarding land tokens.

What would your game look like if you could only farm on 500%?

• KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    I am jonesin' for the last few parcels of land, too. But, I think there's an economics lesson in here some where.

EA kept the level system linked to the story lines of each event for a long time. For example, you had to reach level 9 to get Springfield Elementary and level 15 to place Moe's, etc. This kept levels at an artificially low point. If somehow, you got to "the next level" before the next event, you could earn precious Bonuts. Other than that, you had to buy Donuts.

I think conformity bonuses have a lot to do with the problem that we are in. When I first started playing, I thought the conformity bonus was limited to 500%. But there is no limit on the bonus, and KEM farming gives anyone who has spent enough time in the game, anything they want. Except land. So, land is the new premium currency. It's linked to events, just like the old days, too. The only other option EA had for land might have been to inflate land price tremendously. I really envy those who were hoarding land tokens.

What would your game look like if you could only farm on 500%?

I don’t follow you. If EA wanted to use land acquisition in a way that would negatively impact donut farming, they would have jacked up the per parcel igc price. As others have noted, requiring land tokens (rather than igc) allows users to funnel even more igc into farming.

• I am jonesin' for the last few parcels of land, too.

I don’t follow you. If EA wanted to use land acquisition in a way that would negatively impact donut farming, they would have jacked up the per parcel igc price. As others have noted, requiring land tokens (rather than igc) allows users to funnel even more igc into farming.

Yeah, probably not the best ramble I've ever been on.

I think EA might be looking for a way to keep people coming back to the game. Only EA knows how many players are at 939, and of those, who has large igc hoards. If there are lots of people at max level, linking something to event participation might just be the ticket. Coming back because you could win a few donuts, probably doesn't have the draw it once did, if everyone is farming. So, Land Tokens are the next best thing to hyperinflation.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I am jonesin' for the last few parcels of land, too.

Yeah, probably not the best ramble I've ever been on.

I think EA might be looking for a way to keep people coming back to the game. Only EA knows how many players are at 939, and of those, who has large igc hoards. If there are lots of people at max level, linking something to event participation might just be the ticket. Coming back because you could win a few donuts, probably doesn't have the draw it once did, if everyone is farming. So, Land Tokens are the next best thing to hyperinflation.

Well, anything is possible and a few forum users have ventured similar suggestions. But remember we are talking about EA here. If the game becomes unprofitable, they’ll just pull the plug. They’ve done it before with other games and they won’t be shy about doing it again.

Post edited by KrustyBrand on
  • heyababy47428
    1038 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    I think the land tokens are a good way to make sure that only active players are unlocking new land.

I get it. You don’t play, you don’t get any of the newer land parcels. That much seems pretty obvious and straightforward. What does this have to do with land tokens? Why are they so useful in ensuring that only active players unlock the newer land parcels?

Challenge: You go inactive for 2 months, I will stay active. When you get back we'll compare who has more land unlocked. I think you're trying to make it complicated when it's really very simple.