EA Forums - Banner

Prettier House Farming

Prev1
I was wondering if anyone who house farmed had managed to figure out how to have so many houses without making their town look a mess? I hate visiting other springfields where half the town is just back to back buildings, has anyone built any proper spaces for all of these houses? :)

Here are some ideas to make prettier house farms:

The two story pink houses? The one that Fat Tony takes care of a problem at? You can put them side by side and they look like town homes. Arrange them on paved roads and enclose it to make a gated town house community. You can put a park around them and trees and it looks nice.

The white houses? If turned and pushed together look like duplexes, you can arrange them into "squares" and then put a park in between them. Again arrange them in a gated community.

It all looks planned out and like something you'd find in any urban area.

Replies

• sammercer12
    368 posts
    edited April 2013
    I will never house farm but when pigs fly I will arange them in different places and have a road in front of them
  • sammercer12
    368 posts
    edited April 2013
    cl891 wrote:
    I will never house farm but when pigs fly I will arange them in different places and have a road in front of them

I guess I'll began to farm
  • kevwha22
    501 posts
    edited April 2013
    cl891 wrote:

I guess I'll began to farm

lol awesome response both of you :thumbup:
  • Rosshk
    729 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I connected 5 white houses together to resemble a mansion. It gives Mr Burns a neighbor across the street. I made it look as non-tacky as possible. Even better, I made it face north.

http://imgur.com/c9b1ti7
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Rosshk wrote:
    I connected 5 white houses together to resemble a mansion. It gives Mr Burns a neighbor across the street. I made it look as non-tacky as possible. Even better, I made it face north.

c9b1ti7.jpg?1
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    cl891 wrote:

tumblr_lfvdpvOV4S1qcu1hm.gif

Edit: Changed Pic :D
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • XScripts
    438 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    cl891 wrote:

tumblr_lfvdpvOV4S1qcu1hm.gif

Edit: Changed Pic :D

tumblr_m4lhleUGQI1rn95k2o1_500.gif
  • jiffla
    53 posts
    edited April 2013
    If you got an abundance of those valentines trees, they're really handy for covering up the extra front door when combining houses to make them look like one big house. their larger size covers up more of the picture so you don't end up seeing part of the door frame.
  • caprici424
    300 posts
    edited April 2013
    lissarv68 wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone who house farmed had managed to figure out how to have so many houses without making their town look a mess? I hate visiting other springfields where half the town is just back to back buildings, has anyone built any proper spaces for all of these houses? :)

Here are some ideas to make prettier house farms:

The two story pink houses? The one that Fat Tony takes care of a problem at? You can put them side by side and they look like town homes. Arrange them on paved roads and enclose it to make a gated town house community. You can put a park around them and trees and it looks nice.

The white houses? If turned and pushed together look like duplexes, you can arrange them into "squares" and then put a park in between them. Again arrange them in a gated community.

It all looks planned out and like something you'd find in any urban area.

Hmm...I don't house farm, but some of those ideas are interesting to just give a new look to the neighborhood! Might have to try some of them out :)
  • canonmills
    111 posts
    edited April 2013
    caprici424 - I love your avatar. I don't think I've seen that episode. That is my favourite book.

There are some good ideas on this thread, especially the White House mansion and Heart Trees covering up the cracks of semi-detached or terraced housing, but for me they just look like nice design ideas for having a few extra houses. I don't think they would really count as house farming.

I always defined house farming as "an excessive amount of non-decoratively placed houses in a cramped, regular pattern." With its emphasis on financial gain over design, I personally wouldn't ever indulge because I only have one goal in the game - to make my Springfield look as good as I can. House farming would necessarily detract from that.

I don't care too much for money - money can't buy me love.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    OK this is my residential area.

One could easily add more of the pink two-story houses to make a bigger townhouse row. The key is to arrange them around a park so that it looks like a community.

The white houses are duplexes.

zO2NF1Hl.jpg

I think it's kind of silly to think that a town the size of SF would only have one of each type of house. So I chose to duplicate houses that I could put together into some sort of "attached" homes (attached being duplexes, townhouses, etc).
  • caprici424
    300 posts
    edited April 2013
    canonmills wrote:
    caprici424 - I love your avatar. I don't think I've seen that episode. That is my favourite book.

Thanks! Took me awhile to find the right screenshot for an avatar. I love me my classics! ;p
  • kmendo88
    432 posts
    edited April 2013
    How big are some of your guy's farms? I'm currently at 180 purple houses.
  • jrush2point0
    91 posts
    edited April 2013
    My adventure in house farming involved having a large subdivision with a mix of pink, purple, blue and character houses. The yards weren't big, but mostly fenced, with at least one tree in each yard and a trash can if there was not one visible. I put a lot of work into it, but was never happy with it. I needed more land for a big town square and during a redesign, eliminated the duplicates. Never looked back.

I also had a slum of 20 brown houses set on pavement, with six rows of houses and a parking lot in the front row. There was space in between every two rows of browns to act as a sidewalk. It looked like a trailer park and while it looked like it could exist IRL, I got sick of it after Xmas (it was really nice for providing coins to visitors). It got spread out, with the number of houses cut in half over and over, with fences and trees added in. Plowed it under to make room for a hospital and parking lot.

Here is the layout of my brown house slum. B = brown, P = Parking
    BB BB BB BB BB BB
    BB BB BB BB BB BB
    BB BB BB BB BB BB
    BB PPPPPPPPP BB

• vinnylo26
    73 posts
    edited April 2013
    2gwuzy1.png
  • danhsn
    10 posts
    edited April 2013
    kmendo88 wrote:

Mine is roughly 200 blue houses all along the bottom of the map in an array of 10x20. No screenshot of my town created yet. It looks good as they are all in the same spot and the rest of my town houses have yards and landscaping

B07593B7-7D55-4EAB-98C4-9A05546A09CA-1408-000001D4B63F2B63.jpg
  • keza132734
    45 posts
    edited April 2013
    I need some way to make my farms prettier. But to say that they are not staying forever.
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    danhsn wrote:
    kmendo88 wrote:

Mine is roughly 200 blue houses all along the bottom of the map in an array of 10x20. No screenshot of my town created yet. It looks good as they are all in the same spot and the rest of my town houses have yards and landscaping
    B07593B7-7D55-4EAB-98C4-9A05546A09CA-1408-000001D4B63F2B63.jpg

Repost
  • logistics_eng
    122 posts
    edited April 2013
    Cl891 -"The other design I've got that's not mentioned here is I have a load of woodland and have cabins hidden within the woods in a Deliverance type of style. That way you can have a load of houses that can either fit in with the scenery or be camouflaged by the trees."

I will never visit that part of your town again! You scare the hell out of me! :shock:
    LOL!!!

• lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Cl891 -"The other design I've got that's not mentioned here is I have a load of woodland and have cabins hidden within the woods in a Deliverance type of style. That way you can have a load of houses that can either fit in with the scenery or be camouflaged by the trees."

I will never visit that part of your town again! You scare the hell out of me! :shock:
    LOL!!!

Did you hear dueling banjos?

No?

Then no need to be scared!

Now if you hear dueling banjos? You just make sure you are not the slowest runner and you'll be fine LOL.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.