EA Forums - Banner

What's for dinner?

Prev13456712
Time for another "something to talk about thread".

It's a toss-up for tonight's dinner.

Either herb roasted chicken breasts and yellow squash, mushrooms, spinach and onion orzo pasta for a side.

Or

Ghoulash (goulash).

My Mom used to make this super plain (I called it peasant food when I was a kid) goulash that was so tasty. Brown ground beef, onion, celery. Mix with 1 box of cooked elbow macaroni, a big can of crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. There is just something about the saltiness of the tomatoes and the greasy beef that makes this so good. A little parmesan cheese on top.... mmmmm....

American-Goulash-3.jpg

And tomorrow we can have ghoulash sandwiches on garlic bread.....

The chicken and the squash are on their last day but the goulash sounds so good for a cold and rainy day.

Anybody care to weigh in or share what's on your upcoming menu?

Replies

• I believe my wife said meatloaf tonight. I work nights, she handles meals, and does a fine job of it!
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • I believe my wife said meatloaf tonight. I work nights, she handles meals, and does a fine job of it!

Mmmm.... Meatloaf.

I made the goulash. It is yummy.

True story: 1985. We had three small children. My first evening working the swing shift. Husband home with the kids. Before leaving for work, i had left instructions for him for dinner, for making meatloaf. Gave List of ingredients, told how to mix all together, press to form into meatloaf, place on center rack in oven at 350, etc.

Later that evening, he called me at work in a panic.

JOE: Annette this is a mess! The meatloaf came apart! Meat dripping all over the bottom of the oven ... it's all over the coils!!
    ANNETTE: Well, what pan did you use?
    JOE: [long pause.] ... Pan?
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL

True story: 1985. We had three small children. My first evening working the swing shift. Husband home with the kids. Before leaving for work, i had left instructions for him for dinner, for making meatloaf. Gave List of ingredients, told how to mix all together, press to form into meatloaf, place on center rack in oven at 350, etc.

JOE: Annette this is a mess! The meatloaf came apart! Meat dripping all over the bottom of the oven ... it's all over the coils!!

giphy.webp

Now thats funny! It sounds suspiciously like a call I could have gotten from my first wife. She was never much of a cook, rather then growing up in the kitchen like her sisters did, she hung out in the garage with her Dad. I have to say it was nice having a licensed auto mechanic in the house (she got into cars so much, she went to school after High School) so not cooking wasnt that big of a deal. I did most of the cooking, and she did most of the tune ups, oil changes and rebuilding the whatchamacallit valve...
  • 4junk3000
    5232 posts Member
    edited February 28
    What a mistake to come in here. Now I'm hungry!! But it's after 11, shouldn't eat this late. D'oh! (Preferably fried)

I had a hamburger with ketchup and pickle only, like 4 hrs ago. #boring
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • Tonight we had lemon-pepper chicken breasts, roasted asparagus, and yellow squash roasted with a parmesan topping. Yum!
  • Reheated meatloaf! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    0Futr71.jpg
  • Now thats funny! It sounds suspiciously like a call I could have gotten from my first wife. She was never much of a cook, rather then growing up in the kitchen like her sisters did, she hung out in the garage with her Dad. I have to say it was nice having a licensed auto mechanic in the house (she got into cars so much, she went to school after High School) so not cooking wasnt that big of a deal. I did most of the cooking, and she did most of the tune ups, oil changes and rebuilding the whatchamacallit valve...

Love your wife! Actually, aside from meatloaf and tuna noodle casserole , i don't cook. I refer to the kitchen as "that room with the coffeemaker in it".

But I was never an auto mechanic. For 43 years of marriage, I've gotten away with this system. My husband cooks. Having tasted my cooking, he greatly prefers that it stays this way. Needless to say, I'm happy as a clam.

Your wife sounds amazing. ( "Whatchamacallit valve". LOL. You and I are at the same level of understanding cars. )
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • 168sean168
    3251 posts Member
    zEs8r0Y.jpg

This is a set meal in thai style. Stirred fried minced chicken with rice, a bowl of Tom yam soup and a mango salad.
  • 168sean168
    3251 posts Member
    80J2NYz.jpg

A springy egg noodle served in soup with minced meat and meat balls. Chopped red chilli as condiments.
  • @annettemarc
    "that room with the coffeemaker in it"
    :D:D:D

@168sean168 That looks so tasty! Did you make it all?
  • Time for another "something to talk about thread".

It's a toss-up for tonight's dinner.

Either herb roasted chicken breasts and yellow squash, mushrooms, spinach and onion orzo pasta for a side.

Or

Ghoulash (goulash).

My Mom used to make this super plain (I called it peasant food when I was a kid) goulash that was so tasty. Brown ground beef, onion, celery. Mix with 1 box of cooked elbow macaroni, a big can of crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. There is just something about the saltiness of the tomatoes and the greasy beef that makes this so good. A little parmesan cheese on top.... mmmmm....

American-Goulash-3.jpg

The chicken and the squash are on their last day but the goulash sounds so good for a cold and rainy day.

Anybody care to weigh in or share what's on your upcoming menu?

Well the Goulash sounds intriguing but why is the beef greasey and the tomatoes salty?

Why not mince your own beef so it is all lean, add some herbs and spices, cut back on the salt and use some lemon vest and spring onions for a final seasonings?
  • 168sean168
    3251 posts Member
    @annettemarc
    "that room with the coffeemaker in it"
    :D:D:D

@168sean168 That looks so tasty! Did you make it all?

No I usually eat out :)
  • 168sean168
    3251 posts Member
    0Z3YBIx.jpg

Chicken rice. Rice is fragrantly cooked in chicken stock, with ginger, garlic and pandan leaf. Ate with minced chilli and garlic sauce.
  • 168sean168
    3251 posts Member
    QnRDZRE.jpg

Winter melon soup with pork ribs, eaten with yam rice. The condiment is dark soy sauce with chopped chillies
  • mystery2mi
    2352 posts Member
    Ghoulash (goulash).

American-Goulash-3.jpg

We call this dish American chop suey in New England.
  • 168sean168
    3251 posts Member
    mystery2mi wrote: »
    Ghoulash (goulash).

American-Goulash-3.jpg

Interesting. Chop Suey comes from Chinese/Cantonese meaning the odd bits and pieces
  • 168sean168 wrote: »
    mystery2mi wrote: »
    Ghoulash (goulash).

American-Goulash-3.jpg

Interesting. Chop Suey comes from Chinese/Cantonese meaning the odd bits and pieces

I had no idea! :)
  • BMTZYHn.jpg

Minced meat dry noodles, chilli paste has been stirred into it for the extra punch.