EA Forums - Banner

How to I stop scammers from calling me on my land line?

The obvious answer is get rid of the landline! However, that is not an option because when the power goes out, the landline stays connected. Caller ID /call blocking is too expensive with my phone company. I've seen call blocking machines online where you have to enter all the phone numbers of the people you want to not be blocked. Is there any other option too prevent telemarketers and scammers from calling me? I believe most of these scumbags don't actually have my number as it is unlisted, but some do call me by my full name which is really scary. I signed up for AOL's privacy information removal, but I'm still getting 4 to 5 calls a day. Please help me.

Replies

• MrPepsiMax1
    2736 posts Member
    edited January 25
    Which country are you from? Reason why I am asking is in the UK we have a system called the telephone preference system which you sign up for and they block unwanted calls. You give them the numbers you regularly and these numbers wont’t get blocked. This is a free service. I've read other countries have similar services.
  • Which country are you from? Reason why I am asking is in the UK we have a system called the telephone preference system which you sign up for and they block unwanted calls. You give them the numbers you regularly and these numbers wont’t get blocked. This is a free service. I've read other countries have similar services.

Thanks for info. I will check into it. ☺
  • No problem
  • In the US we have a "do not call" list (Many states also have their own, seperate from thw federal list) It's not perfect, but its a big help. I didnt see where you are located, but if not in the US maybe your country has something similar.

Also, at least here, ditching the landline doeant stop it. Now the scammers/telemarketers/etc have moves into the cellular world...
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • Plus there are scammers that phish via emails too. They make the emails look legit so try not to fall for it. Dont give out personal details or click on links unless you know 100% its genuine. An scam email won’t address you directly ot will have dear valued customer or dear sir/madam or dear(and parts of your email address)
  • In the US we have a "do not call" list (Many states also have their own, seperate from thw federal list) It's not perfect, but its a big help. I didnt see where you are located, but if not in the US maybe your country has something similar.

Also, at least here, ditching the landline doeant stop it. Now the scammers/telemarketers/etc have moves into the cellular world...

Thanks for info. I'll look into that! ☺
  • In the US we also have NoRobo which blocks robotic calls. It is offered as a free service through most major phone companies but you have to request it
  • In the US we also have NoRobo which blocks robotic calls. It is offered as a free service through most major phone companies but you have to request it

Thanks! I'll check out NoRobo!😸
  • BlauMuj wrote: »
    In the US we also have NoRobo which blocks robotic calls. It is offered as a free service through most major phone companies but you have to request it

Thanks! I'll check out NoRobo!😸

It's actually NoMoRobo. But you google it it will come up. It does work, but not as well as it used to.
    What part of "unsolicited friend requests are all denied" do you NOT get?
  • Pick up your phone and, immediately, before the caller can say a word, you say one long sentence in a panicked voice:

"Vinnie it's done but there's blood everywhere we're gonna need the van park it around back and make sure ya' ain't followed. [pause] Vinnie ya' there? [longer pause] Vinnie? [then say suspiciously] Hey. Who IS This?"

Of course, this approach may prove to be problematic if it's your cable company calling to confirm an upcoming appointment. Or your doctor calling with test results. Or your bank. Or your mom. Or if you have an Uncle Vinnie and it's him calling. Especially if he has a van. But maybe the scammer will go away. (Wouldn't it be awesome if the scammer's name turned out to be Vinnie?)

(Sorry. I have no actual advice. Hope one of the other ideas works.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • Pick up your phone and, immediately, before the caller can say a word, you say one long sentence in a panicked voice:

"Vinnie it's done but there's blood everywhere we're gonna need the van park it around back and make sure ya' ain't followed. [pause] Vinnie ya' there? [longer pause] Vinnie? [then say suspiciously] Hey. Who IS This?"

Of course, this approach may prove to be problematic if it's your cable company calling to confirm an upcoming appointment. Or your doctor calling with test results. Or your bank. Or your mom. Or if you have an Uncle Vinnie and it's him calling. Especially if he has a van. But maybe the scammer will go away. (Wouldn't it be awesome if the scammer's name turned out to be Vinnie?)

Solid advice right here!

Solid advice right here!

Youre darn toot'in!

Where you been hiding? Did the soup convention come to town?
    I do not accept unsolicited friend requests! PM me and say hi first.
  • fastshadow2
    5466 posts Member
    edited April 3
    my favorite is when my phone apparently calls itself 😂
    yeah, i’m picking that up 😒
    fast2shadow2 in Crawl to the Finish

Solid advice right here!

Youre darn toot'in!

Where you been hiding? Did the soup convention come to town?

They've been treating me for my soup addiction. Had a rough few months.
  • KLmaker
    344 posts Member
    I love @annettemarc suggestion that is great, another one I heard is you basically survey the caller, not necessarily asking what toothpaste they use or alternatively saying what you use and if they think it's any good.
    An idea I haven't been able to try yet is having an argument with someone who is in another room.

You would need some sound effects but you could pretend to be having problems with your horse, I got a call from someone asking why we had called, didn't recognise the number on the display and he was puffing and grunting, said I'll have to excuse him as he was having trouble with his horse while going through missed calls, I think he probably missed dialled.

But I think the Vinnie one is the best.
  • Answer your phone, when they start their speech you say: "FPI Research and Development Team, this call is being monitored and recorded." Then press 1-2-3 to make it sound like a recording has started. You need to make the "P" of "FPI" sound like a "B", no laws broken, just misdirection.
    Moe: "Moe's tavern, home of the worlds smallest large screen TV."