EA Forums - Banner

City Building

VigilantGuardian
245 posts Member
edited January 2020
Named characters and buildings are the draw of this game, but i wouldn't be mad if EA shifted to at least a few updates devoted to the general city building aspect.

These additions could bring new life to the game: generic buildings and generic NPCS to fill out the town. Power lines, actual manhole covers, nondescript cars, new land tiles such as gravel and sand, bendable rivers, roads etc. The rest of the land in Heights, Inventory overhaul for convenience (Search and Index) a coordinate system that denotes 0,0 as the center of town.

This game to me is almost perfect but I definitely feel that it's lacking in mechanical department. The town portrait was my favorite addition last year as i can now see depth and plan my land usage better.
Post edited by VigilantGuardian on

Replies

• This comment must have been made by a person not slammed against the upper limit of items to be placed.

I remember wanting phone poles and other realistic minutiae; but when i first hit the item cap, streetlights were the first thing sacrificed. So this wish, for misc. town building items, seems to be in direct conflict with their desire to keep a tight control on how much we can place on the ground.

Another great idea, lost in the winds of EA's indifference. They don't care about reviving the game. It peaked, ran its course, and is now in decline.

Anyone who wants a reboot should just start from scratch with a new town. Anyone who wants a serious challenge, go ahead and nuke. Then just TRY to follow through with a full rebuild. Feedback here has described just how difficult that is.

I have wanted to nuke for months but haven't. I wish there was a way to declare zones immune to the blast. And what is really frustrating, is the part i want left as existing, is the new KL i just rebuilt. We all just went through rebuilding KL. I wish they had just left it separate!
  • VigilantGuardian
    245 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    This comment must have been made by a person not slammed against the upper limit of items to be placed.
    Actually this is false, while I’m 3k under the limit I have a lot of my town shoved in a corner and not elaborately decorated. I still want the ability to simulate a real town with these basic things.

Item limit needs to be removed, it’s not protecting anyone. I don’t know of a single person running the game on old hardware.

• KLmaker
    1498 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    Put back the KL expansion, I'm up for it I didn't want to nuke it in the first place, I know some people would disagree, either because they didn't like it anyway or because they have now integrated it with their towns.
    It's a shame EA can't offer a choice, for example, if you want the KL expansion, you place 1 shuttle in SF. If you don't want it and keep KL in SF, then place both shuttles in SF.
    Or something like that, though I don't know if that is even remotely possible, though I don't think I can see EA doing it even if it were.
    I wanted to do it yesterday but I will invariably do it tomorrow (ish).
  • How can you tell how close you are to the build limit? I have no idea if the next tree I plant will take me to the limit or it I have lots of room for more stuff.
  • alucas195 wrote: »
    How can you tell how close you are to the build limit? I have no idea if the next tree I plant will take me to the limit or it I have lots of room for more stuff.

A pop-up message warns about item quantity in relation to game performance, but still allows placement of items. Another pop-up message informs that the max. item limit has been reached and no additional items can then be placed.
  • tapaddict1027
    70 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    You can't tell how close you are to the limit because they give you warnings repeatedly but don't tell you how far till you hit it. I know only from reports here or hitting it myself.

But I'm scaling back all tree and forest density as well. I want all my buildings out and i can't already. No room for the manholes we already have, let alone a second manhole style.

Unless they realease the cap -- and leave it to us if the game is too slow or whatever. Then i totally would love more cars and how about parking spaces that turn 4 WAYS...
  • alucas195 wrote: »
    How can you tell how close you are to the build limit? I have no idea if the next tree I plant will take me to the limit or it I have lots of room for more stuff.

Ak9hL4Ll.jpg
    V8uoyxOl.jpg
    sl6tmpkb1asp.jpg

Answers HQ Hero HELP THREADS
  • This comment must have been made by a person not slammed against the upper limit of items to be placed.
    Actually this is false, while I’m 3k under the limit I have a lot of my town shoved in a corner and not elaborately decorated. I still want the ability to simulate a real town with these basic things.

Item limit needs to be removed, it’s not protecting anyone. I don’t know of a single person running the game on old hardware.

so it is in fact TRUE that you are 'not slammed against the upper limit of items' as you are 3k under the limit.

Those who are have probably abandoned car parks, fences, stop signs, hedges and trees in favour of actual buildings a long time ago.

so it is in fact TRUE that you are 'not slammed against the upper limit of items' as you are 3k under the limit.

Those who are have probably abandoned car parks, fences, stop signs, hedges and trees in favour of actual buildings a long time ago.
    If I had tried to incorporate the 5 years of content shoved into the corner i wouldn't have gotten very far before I hit the cap, and as I said the ability to even include decorative elements is welcomed even if sacrificed for longevity.

• City building always includes demolition.
  • ....and how about parking spaces that turn 4 WAYS...

I am and always have been stumped on that very question.... Double rows of parking spaces facing, but then this means you got to drive over the stops, sleeping policeman, chocks or whatever they're called
  • KLmaker wrote: »
    ....and how about parking spaces that turn 4 WAYS...

I am and always have been stumped on that very question.... Double rows of parking spaces facing, but then this means you got to drive over the stops, sleeping policeman, chocks or whatever they're called

You know what would be great, if you could actually park a car on those parking spaces, you wouldn't think that it is to much to ask.
  • KLmaker
    1498 posts Member
    edited January 2020
    KLmaker wrote: »
    ....and how about parking spaces that turn 4 WAYS...

You know what would be great, if you could actually park a car on those parking spaces, you wouldn't think that it is to much to ask.

If you want cars parked in spaces there is the KL car park blocks, but they limit the designs and I don't like them, so I don't use them.
    So we have double empty spaces that are more design friendly but we can't put cars on them and it looks barren, so I won't do large carparks around big buildings like stadiums.
    I actually did try putting a car in one of those spaces, gutted it wouldn't let me.

The Sprawl-Mart in OS would have been redeveloped by now, it's never had any customers, just a couple of mud-duk's.
    Sorry, Taggart just came on the TV and the show was always mocked for the language because it's Scottish, "There's been a murder" though it never sound quite like that.
    It was an excellent series, I loved it and the theme tune "No Mean City" by Maggie Bell if I rightly remember.
    Mark McManus RIP.
    Post edited by KLmaker on
  • You can achieve a pretty decent carpark by placing cars and carspaces adjacent to one another so that the cars appear to occupy actual car spaces.
  • You can achieve a pretty decent carpark by placing cars and carspaces adjacent to one another so that the cars appear to occupy actual car spaces.

Absolutely correct and something that I've done many times over the years, but I could never understand why they designed a parking space that you can't park a car on.
  • One simple thing I can think of that would at least help a little would be offering individual items that are a longer or larger version of, say, hedges and fences and flowers and tree groves.

For instance, a Grove of trees using as its grouping model, the groups of carolers from this Christmas event. A brown fence that's three times the length, and one that's four times, etc etc. Same with hedges. Big patches/clusters of flowers. So if I want to fence a yard, I pick a single long item rather than several short ones. Stuff like that would bring down the number of items in my town by a LOT.

It seems a little crazy that a simple tiny brown fence counts as "one item" and so does an elaborate huge building. I know WHY that is so, but it still seems odd.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL