EA Forums - Banner

Is it the end for APU in Tapped Out ?

So as we know Hank Azaria has let this Woke world win another character written out of the Simpsons in Apu though I think there looking for an Indian actor to voice Apu let's not forget Apu was the only non Simpsons playable character in Hit & Run anyway does this mean more Simpsons characters are getting axed for stereotypical behaviour like, Ned Flanders, Fat Tony, Groundskeeper Willie and even Krusty the clown as he is Jewish I don't really watch the new episodes of the Simpsons I think with this current world they should retire the show more people are going to criticise characters that fact that Carl Carlson and Dr. Hibbert are voiced by Hank Azaria and Harry shearer and more ethnic characters voiced by white voice actors let's not forget Homer is a stereotype of an American man I don't hear anyone criticising Homer Simpson I'm just wondering if EA will silence Apu in Tapped Out or remove him until the new voice actor comes in let's not forget Hank Azaria has been APU for 30 years ! and now it's not appropriate from 1 person couple of friends of mine that are Indian absolutely loved APU and they've switched off because there isn't another character that represents their community and tradition it's sad because APU was the only character smarter than Lisa Simpson but sadly people can't see that this is just a cartoon that is based on stereotyping and it works I'm enjoying playing Apu in tapped out in case EA silence Azaria's voice.

Replies

• tenor.gif
    Nope nope and more nope
  • I just want to know what you have against punctuation?
    Make Nightmare Pile like Zombie Sandwich. All kids trick or treat at once.
  • tenor.gif
    Nope nope and more nope

Love that scene!

Here's MY BIG ISSUE:

Why ONLY the Simpsons?

So Cleveland Brown (Family Guy) was voiced by *Gasp* a white man!

That's Virtual Black Face!

Yet Family Guy hasn't really been attacked.... remember Tropic Thunder?

Robert Downey Jr. LITERALLY did blackface.

Any criticisms?

Humor is subjective, something can be offensive to many, or offensive to few.

Hank Azaria also voices Bumblebee Man, a Hispanic caricature of a semi famous Mexican Comedians character.

Is the Hispanic community offended?

Not really.

The episode where they go to Brazil.....that one did cause criticism, however that was more targeted to a country rather than a racial stereotype.

I dislike Apu's smug behavior, his jerk personality and his womanizing ways, however I never had a problem with Hank Azarias interpretation, I'm not of said group so my opinion may not count.....but just my opinion.

They'll do what they'll do

Unless they start retroactively changing classic Simpsons episodes to have the new voice actor (if they do replace him) then I might start getting very irritated.
  • remember Tropic Thunder?

Robert Downey Jr. LITERALLY did blackface.

Any criticisms?

- Yes, actually there was criticism, not widespread, but it existed.
    - He was wearing it in a film-within-a-film, so the analysis was a bit different than something like Apu.
    - the film came out over a decade ago. What is seen as offensive changes over time.

Speaking of offended, the OP really should learn about paragraph breaks and other punctuation. His lack of use of it offends me.
  • Punctuation is one indicator that the author gives a stuff about the reader.

• Stream, of consciousness is / fine ? and can be used to - - good effect sometimes. "Your paragraph, Jim! It's so big! So impactful. ; punctuation, too, can be friend or foe (!) as well? such as

This Apu business. Good lord. Good gravy, Gurida! What, oh thou offended few, has been done with the character over his vast track record? He's brought joy. That's what's associated with seeing Apu on the screen: joy. Like when Burns is on. I don't see Burns and lament the wretchedness of white people today. I see Burns and get happy and prepare to laugh. Same as with Apu.

And yet this is the battle they've chosen- - to dismantle the joy that's readily apparent to millions because of the skin tone of some guy nobody sees. Apu embodies the entreprenureal spirit. So do many people of India heritage. So there's a bit of uncomfortable mirroring going on there with the character. So what? It's the same with Burns.

Many of the epiphanies people have these days about social issues are actually more 🎃🎃🎃🎃-sourced than brain-based, bypassing the reasoning center almost entirely. "Oddfended" is a word that should be added to the dictionary as soon as possible because our culture needs the concept pronto. But the word just got coined a second ago and so far only one person has used it, so we're still in the early stages of new word formation.

Seriously, though, this deal we've got now--where the offended person is always treated as if they're right?- -that's got to go. Not all complaints are equal. Everyone is entitled to them, but not also to redress. Not automatically. That should be decided case by case on the merits of each gripe. But we've forgotten that, because now people are having too much fun playing everybody's favorite new gameshow, "I'm offended..... what have I won?"
  • A few years ago in Singapore an Indian auditioning for an Indian character made a scene in the social media after he complained that he was asked to add Indian accent flair into his voice, saying that Indians were stereotyped. It was for a comedy film. Most people here do not support his views.
  • I watched Russell Peters' latest stand up last night - Deported, it's called. Filmed in Mumbai with an Indian audience.

For those who don't know, Russell is, despite his name, Indian, born and raised in Canada to parents from Mumbai. So he was performing in his home town, sort of, to an audience delighted to see him, who had paid money to see him and enjoyed his set.

The majority of his set was poking fun at Indian stereotypes. The head wobble, the accent, the difference between north and south in terms of names, food, culture in general, the health consequences of the food on the typical Indian male over 40 and how 'all' doctors in America are Indian. People laughed. It's comedy. Comedy, often, is built around either conflict or stereotypes and stereotypes exist because there is an element of truth to play on.

Apu is a stereotype, because migrants from that part of the world tend to work their fingers to the bone to build a life for themselves. Long hours in a convenience store, a gas station, taxi driver. I'm sure we all see this in our every day lives. Shelbyville had a Speed-E-Mart owned by Koreans (?). Seen 'Do The Right Thing', the Spike Lee movie built around stereotypes. The owners of the corner shop are Korean. It happens. Same deal. Migrants making a life for their family working hard.

The Simpsons is an animated sitcom which swings back and forth between comedy and drama using (mostly, at least early on) real life scenarios for inspiration. Apu is, also, one of the first ethnic characters to be portrayed on a massively successful global TV show. If you were growing up when the Simpsons was new, probably it was a hoot to see an Indian character in a show you liked. I doubt there were many.

Know who else on the Simpsons is a stereotype? Almost everybody. The Sea Captain, the Jewish clown, the Italian mob guys, the entire Simpsons family, Nelson and the bullies, Milhouse, Skinner and his mother, the Flanderseseses. Even the celebrity guest stars are exaggerated versions of themselves.

They are, generally, positive characters. The bad guys are obvious. That's because they are written and voiced that way. I think if you're offended by Apu then you should be offended by all of the characters. All characters on television.

Shame it's come to this.
  • PC has made us less sociable. Its safer to just sit quietly and play on a cell phone than risk accidentally offending someone.

Seriously, though, this deal we've got now--where the offended person is always treated as if they're right?- -that's got to go. Not all complaints are equal. Everyone is entitled to them, but not also to redress. Not automatically. That should be decided case by case on the merits of each gripe. But we've forgotten that, because now people are having too much fun playing everybody's favorite new gameshow, "I'm offended..... what have I won?"

To be fair, the complaint was delivered in the form of a documentary that provided a compelling argument as to why Apu is a character born from racism.

I haven’t watched the documentary because I don’t buy the idea that 20% of the world’s population should ever reasonably be considered a ‘minority’.

I’m more concerned about how artists respond. When they kowtow to the perpetually offended, cancel culture wins. But maybe Hank Azaria is just tired?
  • He's brought joy. That's what's associated with seeing Apu on the screen: joy.

You don't speak for everyone.
  • Came here to look at the forum.
    Seem to have wandered into 4chan.
    Shame.
  • Complaining about "woke culture" is a great way to have any valid points that follow ignored.

People complaining about PC culture are usually people that want to be a-holes without resistance.
  • As Steve Martin would say, Comedy is Not Pretty... and comedians hate PC and woke culture and women who say NO. As if the world is just one giant comedy club where you laugh at everything and every cocktail just gets people to Loosen Up.
  • jukan00
    2319 posts Member
    None of this matters, as even before, "The Problem With Apu" documentary came out the writers got rid of Apu for basically the same reason. Nobody knows this because nobody watches the simpsons anymore lol. He hasn't been in an episode in 4 years. Remember when we got his nephew in the game? That character is from an episode when the teenager points out how bad and stereotyped Apu's accent is. That was the writers way of retiring him and he hasn't been in an episode since. I've even heard Mike Reiss say this in two different podcasts.
    The BAFFLING thing is WHY didn't ANYONE from the simpsons team just talk to Hari K. (who wrote the doc) and go over it with him.
  • Wikipedia wrote:
    Voice acting is the art of performing voice-overs or providing voices to represent a character or to provide information to an audience or user.
    It's just acting! What the big deal?
  • Watched a YouTube vid yesterday about ‘how Indians perceive their own accent and the accents of others’ or some such. Everyone interviewed said they didn’t speak with an accent, it was non-Indians who had an accent and that Apu’s accent wasn’t an accurate depiction of how they spoke. And they all sounded like Apu.