EA Forums - Banner

Can hackers get new content before us?

Prev1
emmcee1
8388 posts Member
Good question. Maybe what stops them is that all the code isn't added until the update itself is released.

Replies

• emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Well I don't know about that,what makes me ask this question is I remember someone on here photoshopping an image of the Buddhist temple before it was actually released. Although it was black and white they still had the image before we had the actual content.
  • marlenet88
    136 posts
    edited April 2013
    A lot of the puzzle pieces are in the game before the update goes live. But the mechanics of it are not there and so all we can do is take the image files and the dialogue. There's no mechanics in the code so the game can't actually make it exist correctly (or at all).

Though I do have no knowledge on these things. It makes sense that's the case. That's why there's always an update before the event to add the mechanics.

Previously some people have got thing ahead of time. But they weren't hackers. They simply changed their clock settings and it unlocked future content that was already available to all just time specific.
  • Canyoneerroo
    60 posts
    edited April 2013
    Good hackers can get into bank accounts, what's stopping them from getting content in this game? Nothing.
  • Skyrim-mrp
    3684 posts
    edited April 2013
    Think it's the case that we have the file but they send the activation codes at the time they are ment to go live. Thats my theory
  • CactusEater
    133 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I've always wondered, would hackers be able to add voice clips for characters without voices?
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Supposedly the images of the upcoming content items are in the files, you just have to be able to decode them or something. That is usually where the grey images come from, the files. Some items have been in the files for months, so clearly just because they are there doesn't mean we are getting it any time soon.

You guys remember the ice cream cart? The totem pole? The other items that had snow on them and yet were never released?

I, personally, love being spoiled about what's to come. I just don't expect it anytime soon so I don't get disappointed or anything when it doesn't happen. The items will show up, eventually. It's something to look forward to getting.
  • Johneg86
    163 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    No, why? because I see like this if it was possible don't you think that it would have applied to previous updates too, say for example whacking day stuff being available before it was released.
  • beeblebrox900
    1314 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    I have no idea if they do any sort of check on your data files when you log in, but its nice and simple to do something like a crc check, so if the content has changed it wont work.

I'm still not sure if I really like knowing whats in the files, its a bit like when you see a trailer for a comedy that gives away the jokes, you can still enjoy the show, but it would have been even more enjoyable if you had you not known it was coming.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Johneg86 wrote:
    No, why? because I see like this if it was possible don't you think that it would have applied to previous updates too, say for example whacking day stuff being available before it was released.

Because I've seen on another post that hackers are getting Halloween stuff in there wacking day boxes, not that it bothers me as I have the Halloween content,but if than can do that what's to say they can't get access to new stuff,I mean good ones can hack anything after all it was created by a normal person just like you and me,so why can't it be hacked?
  • Skyrim-mrp
    3684 posts
    edited April 2013
    emmcee1 wrote:
    Johneg86 wrote:

Because I've seen on another post that hackers are getting Halloween stuff in there wacking day boxes, not that it bothers me as I have the Halloween content,but if than can do that what's to say they can't get access to new stuff,I mean good ones can hack anything after all it was created by a normal person just like you and me,so why can't it be hacked?

It's true people can still get the old files to add into the new content but because the file is unlocked by ea and they are just adding it to theirs file. Wile ea keep it locked and they have the key witch either ppl can't get hold of or just don't no how to decode it.

The old stuff has already been decoded for them to just simply added the file......imo
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited April 2013
    From my experience programming it works like this:
    The game will have resources for items; pictures, sounds etc

What you then have to do is assign said resources to be the properties of an object.
    This then creates an object which a bit of code will then call into the game.
    So it's likely the resources have been placed into the game files but nothing else, meaning a hacker would have to read and understand the code already present and then reverse engineer the process and write their own code to gain access to the items in game.

So yes, totally possible but probably not worth the effort.
  • troothpaste
    96 posts
    edited April 2013
    Good hackers can get into bank accounts, what's stopping them from getting content in this game? Nothing.

A Huge lot of coding access to the tapped out servers etc i could go on but basically they need coding plus it has to be correct to the game or it wont function

then they need access to the ea and origin servers for their coding to work

hackers do what is said is impossible unless they got coding early somehow

don't worry were all safe lol
  • OuterHaven84
    104 posts
    edited April 2013
    There used to be a way of getting updated content before everyone else but this seems to have stopped as EA are now generally downloaded updates on the day of the update is meant to go live. Before it was done before so you put your clock forward on a Jailbroken Device with pre iOS 6 with Backgrounder.

The images are in black in white because the games XML files control the colours of the rgb files and there are several layers to the rgb files which are controlled by the XML files that control the game it's just easier to show a black and white image rather than an image consisting of the primany rgb colours.

Also, there is a CRC check on the archived files so if you modify anything within them that is not on the EA server then it will simply overwrite them, so even if someone managed to grab the archived files of newer content there will still be the CRC in place for the current game so it would serve them no purpose.

The reason some people are getting old items with some hacked game files is because it's being run locally so it's actually modifying the game s it's being played hence why the they're able to 'unlock' them as all the files for those items are on your device even though you've only started playing and missed them. Every device has the same files and content downloaded even if they are not used.

However, as of late I've been getting my source of information from the actual game database which is posted at another forum, hence why there is no image proof due to the way EA have stopped downloading the actual game files that control those updates before the updates actually go live.
  • Linky2g
    665 posts
    edited April 2013
    No, they cant.

Most game patches roll out future content prior to activating it. They cant trick the server side game client.

Getting old items or LE items is different to getting unreleased items.
  • stewie604
    17 posts
    edited April 2013
    EA's head office building is a few blocks from my house (I used to do video game testing for them back when I was in highschool...was paid in a free game for each game I tested/filled out the form about the game and how I liked it/could make it better), could I just walk in there and demand updates and free donuts....see who's running "other Springfield"? :p
  • OuterHaven84
    104 posts
    edited April 2013
    Technically you're running Other Springfield, as the data for it is contain within the files basically and they've only done up to Level 20 but as you Level up so does that one.. But they seem to have stopped at Level 20.
  • CactusEater
    133 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    stewie604 wrote:
    EA's head office building is a few blocks from my house (I used to do video game testing for them back when I was in highschool...was paid in a free game for each game I tested/filled out the form about the game and how I liked it/could make it better), could I just walk in there and demand updates and free donuts....see who's running "other Springfield"? :p

Do it
  • MelDesigner
    647 posts Member
    edited April 2013
    Technically you're running Other Springfield, as the data for it is contain within the files basically and they've only done up to Level 20 but as you Level up so does that one.. But they seem to have stopped at Level 20.

Whoa Outerhaven,
    Never seen you in this forum before.
    You're usually at the other one.
    Any new stuff for TSTO?
    Other than Squidport, Skinner's mom & camping stuff.
  • OuterHaven84
    104 posts
    edited April 2013
    I only come here every now and then to clear up some bits here and there as it's fairly hard to actually read these forums as there are so many posts I stay over on the other side haha.

There is nothing new other than what I've reveal elsewhere :)
  • JJ illumina T
    187 posts
    edited April 2013
    Whats the other forum?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.