EA Forums - Banner

OT-What are you reading?

Replies

• edited May 2013
    Haha, this is funny. I clicked on this link to see if people are also reading A Dance With Dragons, and 2 or 3 of you are. TSTO players read alike :D
  • michaelnel571
    79 posts
    edited May 2013
    Just finished Firestarter. Hadn't read that since I was about 16. I'm also about 1/4 into the first Game of Thrones book.
  • Nonoddie
    229 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    I just finished reading The Hobbit again and plan to read 'I Know This Much Is True' by Wally Lamb over the summer.
  • Rowanvdl
    242 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    The dairy of a wimpy kid 5 XD

Diary+of+a+wimpy+kid+book+5.JPG
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    Scan screens on the new initial d chapter released in Japan, same with capeta and wangan midnight. Although wangan scanners pretty slack ATM,no new chapter released in 12months.
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited May 2013
    Currently, I'm reading the last book in the Jordan/Sanderson Wheel of Time series. I'm enthralled with the detail and character development in that series; it's one of my favorites.

(I've read the Martin series, but I don't like his killing off all the good characters. If you've just seen it on TV, I won't tell you who dies...but just about everybody who is a decent person...)

Have read all the WoT books. Tell me what you think of th ending when you get to it :)
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts
    edited May 2013
    I read this to me boy tonight hope that counts to this thread :P

200px-Fairuse_Gruffalo.jpg
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:

ARE_YOU+THERE_CHARLEY_BEAR_DVD_BOX_HI.jpg

It only counts if this does aswell? I was stuck watching this as my 3yr is obsessed with him,wont sleep unless he has his charley bear teddy with him.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    Ohh god,just when I can't get him out of my head,pic has to this big to remind me,sorry for large pic.
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited May 2013
    MegumsASU wrote:
    Reading Catching Fire (second Hunger Games), bought the GoT books, the first few Dark Tower by King, and the most recent books in the House of Night series by PC Cast (young adult) it's a mix of Potter and Twilight. I also have Lets Explore Diabetes with Owls by Sedaris, my fave author.

Sedaris is one of my absolute favorite authors, I am reading Let's Explore...now as well. :mrgreen:
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts
    edited May 2013
    emmcee1 wrote:
    It only counts if this does aswell? I was stuck watching this as my 3yr is obsessed with him,wont sleep unless he has his charley bear teddy with him.

You sure this not you your talking about ;) Emoticon38.gif

Only joking bud, all kids normally have something they want to take to bed with them, my daughter takes my old iPhone to bed and plays TSTO before bed now lol Then story then sleep! lol
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    emmcee1 wrote:

You sure this not you your talking about ;) Emoticon38.gif

Only joking bud, all kids normally have something they want to take to bed with them, my daughter takes my old iPhone to bed and plays TSTO before bed now lol Then story then sleep! lol

Yeah that's right,sorry it's his charley bear and ninja turtle he has to go to bed with. Have you seen the latest re-incarnation of the ninja turtles? Blah no where near as good as there were when we were kids. Bloody market the crap outta them now.
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    emmcee1 wrote:

My boy takes his new Humpty, from Play School, to bed with him...and Iggle Piggle, and Hoot, and Cookie Monster, Elmo and Big Bird...I'm surprised there's enough room for him! :shock:

He also has a Charlie Bear music screen thing, it plays the Charlie Bear Intro Theme, and he plays it over and over... :roll: :lol:

On Topic, I'm reading the 4th book of a Song of Ice and Fire, the Game of Thrones books.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • bobbell234
    95 posts
    edited May 2013
    sharmadsen wrote:
    I've also been re-reading Expiration Date and Earthquake Weather By Tim Powers. He's another one of my favorite writers. His book On Stranger Tides was used as a basis for the fourth Jack Sparrow movie.
    Another Tim Powers fan! I have reread Anubis Gates more times than I can count!

I just got done rereading Julian May's Pliocene Saga/Galactic Milieu series. That series is my all-time favorite.

New book that I just got done reading, and loved, Sixty-One Nails by Mike Shevdon.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    mwdalton wrote:
    emmcee1 wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:

My boy takes his new Humpty, from Play School, to bed with him...and Iggle Piggle, and Hoot, and Cookie Monster, Elm and Big Bird...I'm surprised there's enough room for him! :shock:

He also has a Charlie Bear music screen thing, it plays the Charlie Bear Intro Theme, and he plays it over and over... :roll: :lol:

On Topic, I'm reading the 4th book of a Song of Ice and Fire, the Game of Thrones books.

Yes my boys love bloody giggle n hoot. Can't stand that high pitched voice of that bloody owl. Bring back Agro I say.

a-puppet-named-agro-from-australian-kids-tv1.jpg
  • canadianspring
    410 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    p0rkp1e wrote:
    Just finished the Newsflesh Trilogy: Feed, Deadline & Blackout. I don't normally read anything Zombie but this series was great. At a bit of a loose end at the moment looking for something else to read, have a couple of books on the go but nothing that is capturing the imagination. Going to use this thread for some inspiration.

I am as well. I've already looked up a couple of the authors mentioned and added some to my TBR pile.
  • Mull1966
    315 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    tlindfors wrote:
    I am currently reading NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls by David Sedaris, both are great (totally opposite genres, but great nonetheless). Waiting for Joyland to be released next month, but bummed that it won't be in e book format. Really, really can't wait for Doctor Sleep to come out in September...Stephen King fans have been going nuts waiting for these two books (me included).

Just met Joe Hill yesterday at a signing and had him sign my copy of NOS4A2. Nice guy.

Just finished up The Strain trilogy by Del Toro and Hogan.
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited May 2013
    Currently, I'm reading the last book in the Jordan/Sanderson Wheel of Time series. I'm enthralled with the detail and character development in that series; it's one of my favorites.

(I've read the Martin series, but I don't like his killing off all the good characters. If you've just seen it on TV, I won't tell you who dies...but just about everybody who is a decent person...)

Sorry what??? You DON'T like this? I have to say the first and foremost thing of importance for me in GRRM's series is the fact that he does what so few (almost none) other authors dare to do, and it is THIS! This fact is the single reason I really LOVE this series. I only wish he did it more often. He has made a series that has such a huge gallery of persons, so why not make use of it!

The other reason I love his books is that he portraits characters it's easier to recognise from real life. Most of the characters aren't extremely pretty, have abnormous abs, are hansome, or rich and succesful. Most of the characters each have their good treats and bad treats and habits. Few characters are espescially good looking, most of them are normal looking, or even unwashed, smelly and right out ugly. This is not usually the case in fantasylitterature.

The fact that he writes fantasy, and lets magic and unnatural phenomena (as dragons, ghosts/wights, giants) just play a minor more subtle role, is also great. He emphasizes the intrigues and dramas of what almost could have been a real battle for a throne in a middle age kingdom somewhere.

I have one wish, and that is that he shouldn't be too afraid of doing more high-profile deaths in his books. That's what I am hoping for, AND dreading... I also love his characters... but he needs to continue THIS. In real life the heroes dies as often as not, this is seldom the case in fantasy litterature (as much as I have read. It happens from time to time, but far too seldom). I love that he dares using time and space on building up an unique character, and when he/she has done their part, they can die. This makes his story just that more intriguing, and realistic.

If you want to read stories where the main characters never die (yawn), read Lord of the Rings, and actually pretty much most of the stories featuring "heroes"...

By the way, I read a lot of books when I have the time. I have read some of the more classic russian authors like Dostovjeskij, Gogol, and such, I have read famous best-sellers like "The little prince" by Saint-Exupery and "the Alchemyst" by Coelho and alot of others both fantasy and not. Books are a great way of relaxing and doing something worthwhile.

And as a sidenote, I am also a fan of Stephen King, I have read quite a few of his books, but he is rather productive, so I am never going to have the time to read everything he writes, since there are so many other good books to read, and other stuff besides reading I like to do :)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • KieranAPB
    101 posts
    edited May 2013
    I don't think I've been able to read a book fully for the last seven months. It's a shame because prior to that I had the reading bug really bad. I read all the 'True Blood' books in one go, all Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' books, all the 'Game of Thrones' books.

I still have yet to read 'A Dance With Dragons' (the last book in the Game of Thrones series).

I started reading the 'Golden Compass' books and have been stuck on the 'Amber Spyglass' ever since. That was the book that killed the reading bug for me. Children's books should not be recommended for adult reading, and certainly not likened to the 'Lord of the Rings'.

Unfortunately I have all of the 'Hunger Games' books to read, and after my experience with the Golden Compass books I don't think I'll enjoy them.
  • sherryt07
    3273 posts Member
    edited May 2013
    KieranAPB wrote:
    Unfortunately I have all of the 'Hunger Games' books to read, and after my experience with the Golden Compass books I don't think I'll enjoy them.

You might be surprised. I loved the Hunger Games trilogy.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.