EA Forums - Banner

A Warning to TSTO Related Website Owners.

...For the love of God, Fox. Give me a break. If anything, the guides are helping you to get people to start playing and drop cash.

Pathetic.

Should I be thrown in jail and/or fined for having a mediocre Homer Simpson impersonation on my YouTube page?

Replies

• Shadiest_one
    607 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Was the website in question charging for anything?
    That could be what prompted the c&d

Should I be thrown in jail and/or fined for having a mediocre Homer Simpson impersonation on my YouTube page?

Yes
  • OuterHaven84
    104 posts
    edited June 2013
    Was the website in question charging for anything?
    That could be what prompted the c&d

No. Just Game Content Tips, Guides Updates and the like... there was no charge.
  • Kizenix
    298 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    I reply lol with all simpsons fonts and logos
  • Linky2g
    665 posts
    edited June 2013
    I wondered why his site was down.
  • show416
    28 posts
    edited June 2013
    I'm not siding with FOX but if it the TSTOtips site he did have a 'donate to the site' one time from what I saw. So if anyone did 'donate' he technically is profitting from them.
  • jasonicus321
    1811 posts New member
    edited June 2013
    Fox has the right to do whatever they want with their copyrighted property. And with something like The Simpsons that makes them a lot of money, they will be sure to protect it.
  • MumblingReject
    104 posts
    edited June 2013
    Fox has the right to do whatever they want with their copyrighted property. And with something like The Simpsons that makes them a lot of money, they will be sure to protect it.

I believe current copyright law insists that you pursue people who use the name and likeness of a product otherwise your copyright becomes useless. Not sure if this could fall under fair use-it should. All that's being displayed is info that's all over wikis and readily available in the files. And a donate page isn't the same as selling the likeness of something for profit.

Something similar is actually happening with podcasts. A man who "patented" audio rss feeds 13 years ago is sending cease and desists to small podcasters and a few big ones and it may go to the supreme court since the EFF is tackling it. If this doesn't prove we need copyright and patent reform, I don't know what does.
  • chrismcb
    17 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    You know that fair use allows you to reproduce portions of copyrighted materials, and even make money off of that, for certain reasons.
    I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on the internet. And I have no clue what website that was referring to, so I can't comment if I think it was fair use or not. But I would advice talking to a lawyer before giving ANY info to Fox, or responding to this letter in any way. Just because they send a C&D doesn't mean they have a legal grounds for doing so.
  • adruralo
    3284 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    Once a website becomes popular amongst the mass, it gets noticed even by big companies, or the site may have been reported to FOX. But these companies are usually looking out to protect their copyright material.
    I'm just wondering if the owner of this site has been singled out (perhaps because he did not request permission from them) or are they seeking other sites too who use Simpsons material because there are a lot out there.
    iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone XR (Red product)
  • slivdawg77
    422 posts
    edited June 2013
    show416 wrote:
    I'm not siding with FOX but if it the TSTOtips site he did have a 'donate to the site' one time from what I saw. So if anyone did 'donate' he technically is profitting from them.

Great point! They own it all
  • david328ci
    86 posts
    edited June 2013
    It's already been mentioned before but it is kind if silly that the c&d is going against a fan site that helps Fox and EA make more money
  • pharrah2003
    920 posts
    edited June 2013
    The post got deleted... But to whoever posted that deleted thread... This is the thread I wanted to bring to you attention. Be wary of copyright infringement... Especially if you have sponsors, because making money off of anothers work usually will result in them wanting what's considered their money. JustFYI
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!