EA Forums - Banner

Is Anyone Else Surprised...

Replies

• Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited June 2013
    I just read the most recent post from TSTO tips. This whole gun debate thing is affecting that blog as well and he's going to take a break from posting :(:(:(

http://tstotips.com/2013/06/04/ive-had-enough/
  • tobypine2
    292 posts
    edited June 2013
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    tobypine2 wrote:
    elrocky718 wrote:
    Yeah I was definitely surprised. Nice jabs at our constitution. You dipweeds! Seems like I just can't escape idioctic neo-liberalism, even when playing a silly video game.

Neo-Liberalism? When did that term come about? I would say it is pretty old fashioned liberalism.

Since when did Neo have any pull with the developers???

Neo, I know yer a mod and all but if you've had a hand in quest balloon development, you got some 'splainin to dooo! :D

I was wondering when someone would notice that and drag me into the conversation :lol: Just for the record I have nothing to do with :lol: I don't change the Matrix it just code to me ;)

Well then code us Spinal Tap and their tour bus. :). I'd pay donuts for them lol
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    How about we just do this all around the world

• Don_Have_A_Cow
    495 posts
    edited June 2013
    RotaryRex wrote:
    Do the people that are moaning about this task line even watch the show??

I don't think having a discussion is the same thing as moaning....and by the way, I've been watching the show since the shorts on Tracy Ullman. I love Herman and think he's a great character. But I still find this particular quest is a little insensitive and it made me uncomfortable. I'm not gonna quit playing or watching the show but can still have an opinion.

And what's with Herman's voice??? What even is that? Sounds like half of a grunt. Is that all he has?
  • Jimbeeze
    278 posts
    edited June 2013
    Guns are dumb

don't need one, don't want one, been held at gun point by one
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    RotaryRex wrote:

I don't think having a discussion is the same thing as moaning....and by the way, I've been watching the show since the shorts on Tracy Ullman. I love Herman and think he's a great character. But I still find this particular quest is a little insensitive and it made me uncomfortable. I'm not gonna quit playing or watching the show but can still have an opinion.

And what's with Herman's voice??? What even is that? Sounds like half of a grunt. Is that all he has?

I don't think they were being insensitive I think they were trying to make a point and make it in a way that people would talk about it and their point is that guns are too easy to get they aren't trying to say guns should be banned since at the end they make fun of Marge for her "it's to violent" convo with Herman but they are saying children shouldn't be able to get guns, people who aren't in touch with reality shouldn't have guns, and to try and decrease the illegal gun traffic. Then maybe things like columbine, or the shooting during the batman movie are some examples wouldn't happen.

Alot of times to get a point across you need to show how crazy or scary something is. The school I went to to get a point across about drunk driving, the drama class rent two cars that were all smashed up and brought to the front of the school and had them setup so it looked like they smashed into each other and the tree in the front if the school they then had a student go in between the tree and the one car to look like he was crushed and students laying on the ground with fake blood all over the place. Many people were upset about the scene but it does drive the point home.
  • GeekJen
    38 posts
    edited June 2013
    Gun owners should be locked away in a mental home. They need therapy.
  • kelvin9994
    88 posts
    edited June 2013
    Anyone who got offended by the task should reevaluate there life ... The simpsons make fun of everything and everyone including themselfs ! Stop taking everything serious ! On a person note I actually agreed with the lampooning of gun laws its ridiculous how dangerous the USA is I'm from the ul and souls be 2 scared to go to the is because they sell guns like toys it's ridiculous look at those poor kids who were killed at Christmas ? And there answer us to give more guns ? Makes sense ... Glad I live in a country where less that 1% of the nation owns a gun feels so much safer
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts
    edited June 2013
    GeekJen wrote:

tumblr_lr33rxAdKc1qmumko.gif

Your avatar (above) suit your statement I thought....looks like lisa's shouting it Emoticon38.gif
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • pinklittlebirdie
    867 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    cjryder625 wrote:
    tobypine2 wrote:
    elrocky718 wrote:
    Yeah I was definitely surprised. Nice jabs at our constitution. You dipweeds! Seems like I just can't escape idioctic neo-liberalism, even when playing a silly video game.

Neo-Liberalism? When did that term come about? I would say it is pretty old fashioned liberalism.

Neo, I know yer a mod and all but if you've had a hand in quest balloon development, you got some 'splainin to dooo! :D

On a serious note there's nothing wrong with having gun laws, it's just already gone so far in this country til now that its usually the upstanding gun owners who are hassled and not the illegal gun owners cause there is so many. It's too late to close the barn door

The gun buy back was amazingly successful in Australia. I think in the U.S. it would probably turn out cost neutral after a couple of years of homicide savings (cost of resources for call out, medical costs)

we don't do 'buy backs' we have amnesties were guns/knives can be deposited at a police station with no questions asked.

Wiki said US has done small scale buybacks where they ran out of money to buy the guns back. Australia's was national with 600,000 newly illegal guns for rifles and 55000 for hand guns when they became illegal, the original one was covered by a rise in the Medicare (health care) levy
  • show416
    28 posts
    edited June 2013
    Honestly the dialogue is exactly the type of crap the NRA actually says so anyone who is offended by it should go look at Wayne LaPierre's speeches and you'll see thats actually what the NRA believes in. The writers are just using the NRA's and gun owners own words and thoughts to make a point. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion
  • mattperiolat
    676 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    I'm surprised at the virulent reaction honestly. Simpsons has never ever not made political jokes, going back to when H. Bush and Barbara Bush bashed them as bad representatives of the American family, contrary to WWII era values and Bart bit back "Yeah, we're praying for an end to the Depression too.". The game should logically have that humor as well and so they do with the Rich Texan having Tea Party jokes and Herman having NRA jokes. Like I said, not surprising. The absolute anger at the jokes? That is.

I wish everyone could just chill out, take the jokes and move on.
  • Deadshot_DCU
    6292 posts Moderator
    edited June 2013
    Omg you people are way too sensitive. Remember this is just a game. Have fun with it. Don't get your panties all in a bunch.
  • ozwald5
    231 posts
    edited June 2013
    I suppose I'm in the minority of having enjoyed the quest line. I thought the satire was funny, topical, and entertaining. Sure it's a bit of an agenda, but the Simpsons, hell the entire Fox Animation Line Up always has been. :wink:
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    There's a big different between being political, and being "in character". Is the game religiously political because you can make Ned preach, or that there is a Christian-oriented church depicted, but really nothing else? All the gun stuff is just in character with the one-armed guy (can't remember his name) and spiced with a dash of the usual over-the-topness of the Simpsons we know and love.

Just relax and play the game; it's not going to turn you--or anyone else--into a lunatic of any kind.

That's really the issue-- the questline isn't in keeping at all with the manner in which the Simpsons usually handles political material. Another poster said "big surprise, the Simpsons has always leaned left", and that's mostly true-- LEAN being the operative word. This isn't the satire or gentle needling the Simpsons is known for-- it's not "a dash of the usual over-the-topness of the Simpsons we know and love". It's clumsy and broad, and it isn't at all funny. They claim Tapped Out was created by "the writers of the Simpsons", but it doesn't seem like it. And for the record, I don't own a gun and I support much tighter gun control in this country. I don't bring this up as a "whining gun nut" as suggested earlier, but as a 25 year fan of the show who would like to see the game exhibit the show's deft touch when it comes to sensitive issues.
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    I continue to be pleasantly surprised by this forum and its members. This thread shows why I enjoy this forum so much. Even with such a sensitive topic like US gun control, most posts have been fairly even-handed regardless of view point. For sure there are strong opinions reflected in some comments, but overall a reasonable discussion which at least so far hasn't exploded into a heated debate.

I personally identify as an Independent, primarily because I don't believe any one person (or political party) has all the correct answers or a monopoly on ethics. I do believe that any solution to a given problem should be targeted and founded in fact to actually address the problem. A solution shouldn't be based on a knee-jerk reaction and should not be driven by an agenda, especially when being used as a basis for new law.

Regardless of my personal viewpoints, I thank every forum member who contributed to this thread in an even and unemotional way for helping to keep this forum a pleasant place to visit :)

Edit: autocorrect correction
  • darrenholm736
    1276 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    I just read the most recent post from TSTO tips. This whole gun debate thing is affecting that blog as well and he's going to take a break from posting :(:(:(

http://tstotips.com/2013/06/04/ive-had-enough/

That's really, really sad. Someone who does nothing but spends their time developing a blog to actually help people out so much has received threats to himself and his family, just for asking what people thought about the game's content.

Some people should go outside and enjoy the sunshine more.
  • azchristopher
    239 posts
    edited June 2013
    ozwald5 wrote:
    I suppose I'm in the minority of having enjoyed the quest line. I thought the satire was funny, topical, and entertaining. Sure it's a bit of an agenda, but the Simpsons, hell the entire Fox Animation Line Up always has been. :wink:

I've enjoyed it so far.

• DIrishB
    613 posts Member
    edited June 2013
    tobypine2 wrote:
    DIrishB wrote:
    tobypine2 wrote:
    elrocky718 wrote:

On a serious note there's nothing wrong with having gun laws, it's just already gone so far in this country til now that its usually the upstanding gun owners who are hassled and not the illegal gun owners cause there is so many. It's too late to close the barn door

How would expanding gun background checks hassle legal, law abiding gun owners? Seriously, if you're not a felon or have a diagnosed untreated mental illness that could lead to you using that gun on innocents, how will those more extensive background checks affect you?

Maegnificent, I understood, I just had to take a poke at the debate. ;)

There's hassle to buy a gun. Wait times, fees, and if paperwork doesn't check out then there's an investigation. Meanwhile carrying an u registered weapon here isn't a felony if memory serves. For every 1000 law abiding people who don't mind regulations and laws you have 1 joker crying about "land of the free" and taking rights away and goes wacko so they impose more on everyone else. The US is the home of the free but feeding comes with responsibility and consequences and I think some of us forget about that and common sense from time to time. I have no qualms with more laws here if it keeps people safe. They need to be harsher here with habitual criminals. Ah well

Overall I agree with you. It's the way of the world: one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. But if longer wait times, more paperwork, and more investigations result in less gun violence and fatalities, isn't that a small price to pay?
    ecneralc wrote:
    How about we just do this all around the world

Jesus those masks are creepy.
    ecneralc wrote:
    RotaryRex wrote:

I don't think they were being insensitive I think they were trying to make a point and make it in a way that people would talk about it and their point is that guns are too easy to get they aren't trying to say guns should be banned since at the end they make fun of Marge for her "it's to violent" convo with Herman but they are saying children shouldn't be able to get guns, people who aren't in touch with reality shouldn't have guns, and to try and decrease the illegal gun traffic. Then maybe things like columbine, or the shooting during the batman movie are some examples wouldn't happen.

Nicely said.
    GeekJen wrote:

That might be taking it a bit far, unless you're being sarcastic in which case high five.
    show416 wrote:
    Honestly the dialogue is exactly the type of crap the NRA actually says so anyone who is offended by it should go look at Wayne LaPierre's speeches and you'll see thats actually what the NRA believes in. The writers are just using the NRA's and gun owners own words and thoughts to make a point. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion

Very good point.
  • terrylee883
    49 posts
    edited June 2013
    I thought it was great. Light hearted and poignant. Glad I wasn't here when the heck house came out. That musta started a flame riot! It's just a cartoon and app, not a legitimate news organization like Fox News or anything.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!