EA Forums - Banner

What other commercial properties should have a Game like TSTO?

Prev1
Bravewall
4244 posts Member
Futurama instead of towns you could make a galaxy. Each character could have a ship.

Replies

• TurtlesLikeMe69
    150 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't think any other shows could really do this because they would run out of content to quickly. Futurama is on its last season and that's its 7th I think. The simpsons are going on they're 25th and the game is already scratching low on new characters. I just think realistically no other show could keep up.
  • JoshJHunter
    437 posts
    edited July 2013
    It's on its last characters? Do you watch the show?
  • LuciiTigger14
    1769 posts
    edited July 2013
    I don't think any other shows could really do this because they would run out of content to quickly. Futurama is on its last season and that's its 7th I think. The simpsons are going on they're 25th and the game is already scratching low on new characters. I just think realistically no other show could keep up.

I agree that no other show could keep up, and they would run out of characters and buildings too quick, also I just don't think buildings in other cartoons are as recognisable as simpsons, i watch Family Guy almost everyday but probably wouldn't get too excited about the game cause it hasn't been around long enough. This game brings back memories of watching the simpsons every night at 6pm.

But I don't agree that they're scratching low on new characters. Apart from all the main characters they still haven't added, there's probably hundreds of one off characters that I'd love in the game
  • akareloy237
    11 posts
    edited July 2013
    The Muppets
    Marvel & DC Superheroes
  • dessskris
    195 posts
    edited July 2013

I agree that no other show could keep up, and they would run out of characters and buildings too quick, also I just don't think buildings in other cartoons are as recognisable as simpsons, i watch Family Guy almost everyday but probably wouldn't get too excited about the game cause it hasn't been around long enough. This game brings back memories of watching the simpsons every night at 6pm.

But I don't agree that they're scratching low on new characters. Apart from all the main characters they still haven't added, there's probably hundreds of one off characters that I'd love in the game

I agree - the show has to have a lot of characters because even with the number of characters we have in TSTO, we players keep asking for more. so, for shows with a limited/small number of characters it would be difficult to build on the quests and levels.

and yeah the buildings. with The Simpsons we do know of the buildings in the shows especially the ones that often come up.

but I think it would be great to have game like this for Marvel or WB superheroes! so we could get the normal persons as characters, and skins for the superheroes, as well as their girlfriends, enemies, etc...

though it would still be not big enough, I guess.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    Ren and stimpy tapped out
  • auntieTee1
    3 posts
    edited July 2013
    THE BOONDOCKS.
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    I don't think some of you doubters are thinking outside the box far enough. There's plenty of shows with lots of characters, particularly because they were invented to sell toys.

Transformers
    G.I. Joe
    Ninja turtles
    Star wars
    Ewoks

But thats besides the point. A game like this doesn't necessarily need as many characters as the Simpsons. I mean look how many people are still playing it a year later, based on adding tiny little changes at a time. A lack of characters means they just have to have something else you'd be interested in collecting.

I'm not saying they can make a better game, or even make one as good. Maybe they can't, but so what? This freemium building game format makes money, even when theres no film or cartoon license attached to it. With the cartoon license, the nostalgia factor will mean dedicated players, who might whine and complain, but will still drop money on every collectable.

If EA doesn't want to bother making similar games, maybe someone else will go after those properties, and seize the opportunity. I see a clear demand.
  • dcg_moo
    101 posts
    edited July 2013
    South Park could probably pull it off.

They're like 20 seasons in, and have developed a huge variety of supporting characters and odd locations. And they've developed the town fairly well, though its intentionally much smaller than Springfield which could hurt.

As an 80s kid... most of those cartoons wouldn't work at all. Ninja Turtles had like 17 characters at best. Transformers had no town development. GI Joe was based on war, how could you make a timed city building game of that? Likewise with Star Wars... unless you have planets as buildings with tasks, but are there enough planets to get super deep without reaching badly? And half the fun of TSTO is the humor... that'd be totally lost in Star Wars or GI Joe.

You can't just take an 80s property and make it an instant success... otherwise we'd all be playing Smurfs Village obsessively.
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    dcg_moo wrote:
    You can't just take an 80s property and make it an instant success... otherwise we'd all be playing Smurfs Village obsessively.
    Oh, yes you can! :lol:

Hey you may not be in to Smurfs Village, but Capcom cites that game in particular as being a huge success. In 2011 They called it the driving force in their financial results. And as of their first quarter financial statements this year, it continues to drive a profit for them, while big games like Resident Evil 6 have failed. As silly as that game is, people are still playing it, and spending money.

So believe me, any of the suggestions on this thread have the potential to be as good as the Smurfs, if not as good as TSTO.
  • cheesypasta1
    698 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    The Muppets
    Marvel & DC Superheroes

there is a muppets tapped out coming its called my muppets show and its only available in Australia at the moment so I don't have it but you have to put on a big show and the characters digitally appear and according to its facebook it will be realeased world wide soon and they are testing it in Austalia I;m not making this up
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    Bravewall wrote:
    I don't think some of you doubters are thinking outside the box far enough. There's plenty of shows with lots of characters, particularly because they were invented to sell toys.

Transformers

I like the idea of Transformers would like to send Prime on tasks :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • WILL-P-1998
    205 posts
    edited July 2013
    Maybe a Harry Potter one? (I know it isn't a cartoon), but you could build loads of different classrooms and stuff in the school (like the quiditch pitch and hagrids hut)

Also there would be endless characters.
  • erik319
    642 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    Look! Made a list :lol:

(of characters)

The Simpsons
    Homer Simpson
    Marge Simpson
    Bart Simpson
    Lisa Simpson
    Maggie Simpson
    Akira
    Ms. Albright
    Aristotle Amadopolis
    Atkins, State Comptroller
    Mary Bailey
    Birchibald "Birch" T. Barlow
    Jasper Beardly
    Benjamin, Doug, and Gary
    Bill and Marty
    Blinky
    Blue Haired Lawyer
    Boobarella
    Wendell Borton
    Jacqueline Bouvier
    Patty Bouvier
    Selma Bouvier
    Kent Brockman
    Bumblebee Man
    Charles Montgomery Burns
    Capital City Goofball
    Carl Carlson
    Crazy Cat Lady
    Superintendent Gary Chalmers
    Charlie
    Chase
    Scott Christian
    Comic Book Guy
    Mr. Costington
    Database
    Declan Desmond
    Disco Stu
    Dolph
    Lunchlady Doris
    Duffman
    Eddie and Lou
    Ernst and Gunter
    Fat Tony
    Maude Flanders
    Ned Flanders
    Rod Flanders
    Todd Flanders
    Francesca
    Frankie the Squealer
    Professor John Frink
    Baby Gerald
    Ginger Flanders
    Gino
    Mrs. Alice
    Gloria
    Barney Gumble
    Gil Gunderson
    The Happy Little Elves
    Judge Constance Harm
    Herman Hermann
    Bernice Hibbert
    Dr. Julius Hibbert
    Elizabeth Hoover
    Lionel Hutz
    Itchy & Scratchy
    Jacques
    Jimbo Jones
    Rachel Jordan
    Kang and Kodos
    Princess Kashmir
    Kearney Zzyzwicz
    Edna Krabappel
    Rabbi * Krustofski
    Krusty the Clown
    Cookie Kwan
    Dewey Largo
    Legs and Louie
    Leopold
    Lenny Leonard
    Lewis
    Helen Lovejoy
    Reverend Timothy Lovejoy
    Coach Lugash
    Luigi
    Lurleen Lumpkin
    Otto Mann
    Captain Horatio McCallister
    Roger Meyers, Jr.
    Troy McClure
    Hans Moleman
    Dr. Marvin Monroe
    Nelson Muntz
    Mrs. Muntz
    Captain Lance Murdock
    Bleeding Gums Murphy
    Lindsey Naegle
    Apu Nahasapeemapetilon
    Manjula Nahasapeemapetilon
    Sanjay Nahasapeemapetilon
    Old Barber
    Old Jewish Man
    Patches and Poor Violet
    Arnie Pye
    Poochie
    Herbert Powell
    Janey Powell
    Lois Pennycandy
    Ruth Powers
    Martin Prince
    Dr. J. Loren Pryor
    Mayor "Diamond Joe" Quimby
    Radioactive Man
    The Rich Texan
    Richard
    Dr. Nick Riveria
    Santa's Little Helper
    Sherri and Terri
    Dave Shutton
    Sideshow Bob
    Sideshow Mel
    Grampa Abraham Simpson
    Amber Simpson
    * Simpson
    Agnes Skinner
    Principal Seymour Skinner
    Waylon Smithers
    Snake
    Snowball
    Judge Roy Snyder
    Jebediah Springfield
    Cletus Spuckler
    Brandine Spuckler
    Squeaky-Voiced Teen
    Moe Szyslak
    Drederick Tatum
    Allison Taylor
    Mr. Teeny
    Cecil Terwilliger
    Johnny Tightlips
    ?ter
    Kirk Van Houten
    Luann Van Houten
    Milhouse Van Houten
    Dr. Velimirovic
    Veterinarian
    Chief Clancy Wiggum
    Ralph Wiggum
    Sarah Wiggum
    Groundskeeper Willie
    Wiseguy
    Rainier Wolfcastle
    Yes Guy
    Artie Ziff
    TOTAL: 152

Family Guy
    Peter Griffin
    Lois Griffin
    Meg Griffin
    Chris Griffin
    Stewie Griffin
    Brian Griffin
    Francis Griffin
    Thelma Griffin
    Carter Pewterschmidt
    Barbara "Babs" Pewterschmidt
    Carol Pewterschmidt
    Patrick Pewterschmidt
    Jasper
    Bertram
    Mickey McFinnigan
    Dylan Flannigan
    Biscuit
    Glenn Quagmire
    Joe Swanson
    Bonnie Swanson
    Kevin Swanson
    Susie Swanson
    Cleveland Brown
    Loretta Brown
    Cleveland Brown, Jr.
    Mort Goldman
    Muriel Goldman
    Neil Goldman
    John Herbert
    Thomas "Tom" Tucker
    Joyce Kinney
    Diane Simmons
    Ollie Williams
    Tricia Takanawa
    Mr. Jonathan *
    Angela
    Opie
    Fouad
    Santos and Pasqual
    Mayor Adam West
    Barbershop Quartet
    Beth
    Bruce
    Carl
    Connie D'Amico
    Consuela
    Death
    Dr. Elmer Hartman
    Esther
    Horace
    Jake Tucker
    James William Bottomtooth III
    James Woods
    Jerome
    Jillian Russell
    Jim Kaplan
    Judge
    Paddy Tanniger
    Patty
    Phineas and Barnaby
    Principal Shepard
    Rupert
    Ruth
    Seamus Levine
    Al Harrington
    Buzz Killington
    Conway Twitty
    Evil Monkey
    Ernie the Giant Chicken
    Greased-up Deaf Guy
    Kool-Aid Man
    Tomak and Bellgarde
    Vern
    TOTAL: 73

Futurama
    Philip J. Fry
    Turanga Leela
    Bender Bending Rodriguez
    Amy Wong
    Hermes Conrad
    Professor Hubert J.Farnsworth
    Doctor John Zoidberg
    Lord Nibbler
    Zapp Brannigan
    Kif Kroker
    Mom
    Headless Body of Agnew
    Boxy
    Brain Slugs
    Brain Spawn
    Calculon
    The Crushinator
    Father Changstein-El-Gamal
    Chanukah Zombie
    Clamps
    Dwight Conrad
    LaBarbara Conrad
    Donbot
    Elzar
    Cubert Farnsworth
    Flexo
    Al Gore's Head
    Gypsy-bot
    Stephen Hawking
    Hedonismbot
    Horrible Gelatinous Blob
    Hyperchicken
    Hypnotoad
    Kwanzaabot
    Lrrr
    Linda van Schoonhoven
    Hattie McDoogal
    Michelle
    Morbo the Annihillator
    Joey Mousepad
    Randy Munchnik
    Richard Nixon's Head
    Mr. Panucci
    Pazuzu
    Petunia
    Reverend Lionel Preacherbot
    Roberto
    Robot Devil
    Robot Santa
    Sal
    Scruffy
    Barbados Slim
    Smitty
    Bubblegum Tate
    Tinny Tim
    Turanga Morris
    Turanga Munda
    URL
    Warden Vogel
    Dr. Ogden Wernstrom
    Inez Wong
    Leo Wong
    TOTAL: 62

American Dad
    Stan Smith
    Francine Smith
    Hayley Smith
    Steve Smith
    Roger
    Klaus Heissler
    Jeff Fischer
    Jack Smith
    Betty Smith
    Rusty Smith
    B?ba and M?ma Ling
    Gwen Ling
    Nicholas and Cassandra Dawson
    Henry Fischer
    Avery Bullock
    Sanjit ?A.J.? Bullock
    Jackson
    * Reynolds
    Reginald the Koala
    Sanders
    Ray
    Bad Larry
    Duper
    Bill
    Lorraine
    Greg Corbin
    Terry Bates
    Liberty Belle ?Libby? Corbin-Bates
    Tank Bates
    Superintendent Ellen Riggs
    Principal Brian Lewis
    Schmuley ?Snot? Lonstein
    Toshi Yoshida
    Barry Robinson
    Akiko Yoshida
    Debbie *
    Lisa Silver
    Vince Chung
    Lindsey Coolidge
    Linda Memari
    Bob Memari
    Chuck White
    Buckle
    Sharri Rothberg
    Sergei Kruglov
    Father Donovan
    Al Tuttle
    Barb Hanson
    Turlington Brothers
    Captain Monty
    Beauregard Lawrence LaFontaine
    Hiko Yoshida
    Marguerite
    Mr. Yoshida
    Nemo
    TOTAL: 55

South Park
    Stan Marsh
    Kyle Broflovski
    Eric Cartman
    Kenny McCormick
    Butters Stotch
    Bebe Stevens
    Clyde Donovan
    Craig Tucker
    Dougie
    Jimmy Valmer
    Timmy Burch
    Token Black
    Tweek Tweak
    Wendy Testaburger
    Randy Marsh
    Sharon Marsh
    Shelly Marsh
    Grandpa Marvin Marsh
    Jimbo Kern
    Gerald Broflovski
    Sheila Broflovski
    Ike Broflovski
    Liane Cartman
    Stuart McCormick
    Carol McCormick
    Stephen Stotch
    Linda Stotch
    Mr. Garrison
    Mr. Mackey
    Mr. Slave
    Principal Victoria
    Officer Barbrady
    Big Gay Al
    Ned Gerblansky
    God
    Jesus
    Mr. Hankey
    Tuong Lu Kim
    Father Maxi
    Mayor McDaniels
    Dr. Alphonse Mephisto
    Moses
    Santa
    Satan
    Starvin' Marvin
    Terrance and Phillip
    Towelie
    Sergeant Harrison Yates
    Pip Pirrup
    Chef
    Ms. Choksondik
    Ms. Crabtree
    Saddam Hussein
    TOTAL: 53

Source: Wikipedia
  • jonas-kramer855
    19 posts
    edited July 2013
    Adventure time.

Compared to the simpsons, they're new and short (well, most shows are if you compare them to the simpsons).
    But because of it's Randomness and the many characters, buildings, monsters and dungeons they already introduced, it would just might work.
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited July 2013
    South Park wouldn't work as they would have to sanitise the humour. It's its outrageous insulting of everyone that makes it what is is. Imagine how the NRA fanboys would react to their story lines. Makes Hermann seem like little boy blue. :wink:
  • gerrardjbuck
    174 posts
    edited July 2013
    The Smurfs have an app exactly like this
  • JaredEgan
    127 posts
    edited July 2013
    I don't think any other show has the content to last on its own.
    But also I don't want them to. Think of the time you spend on your Simpsons Tapped Out. Imagine starting a whole new game from scratch. Not to mention the money you'd spend... :?:
    A South Park Tapped Out would be fun, but two or more 'life-ruiningly fun' games in my life has to be a bad thing :P

Saying that, if they wanted to add content into the Simpsons tapped out, like a tie in, that'd be great!
    I think it would only work for Futurama tie-ins, like in the TV series.

Futuristic stuff won't work unless possible tied in with Kang and Kodos and a 'time shift' thingy.

But I think having Fry being a Pizza boy from Capitol City could work. Or a marine Biologist we Lelu :)
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited July 2013
    The Muppets
    Marvel & DC Superheroes
    there is a muppets tapped out coming its called my muppets show and its only available in Australia at the moment so I don't have it but you have to put on a big show and the characters digitally appear and according to its facebook it will be realeased world wide soon and they are testing it in Austalia I;m not making this up
    Good call. I bet that muppet game will be hugely suucessful, and then Disney will be open to the idea for Marvel and Star wars freemiums :)
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Bravewall wrote:

Transformers

I like the idea of Transformers would like to send Prime on tasks :lol:
    The possibilities are endless with tranformers. And with that you choose Autobots or decepticons, and your base can go to war with other peoples bases.
    Maybe a Harry Potter one? (I know it isn't a cartoon), but you could build loads of different classrooms and stuff in the school (like the quiditch pitch and hagrids hut)

Also there would be endless characters.
    Good idea. Thats the thing about limited characters. Sometimes you can just make some up. There is only so many Dinosaurs in the jurassic park movies, but that doest stop JP builder from adding new ones anyways.
    Adventure time.

Compared to the simpsons, they're new and short (well, most shows are if you compare them to the simpsons).
    But because of it's Randomness and the many characters, buildings, monsters and dungeons they already introduced, it would just might work.
    That's brilliant. That's my favourite so far. This needs to happen. :D
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited September 2013
    I decided to bump this thread, because I've been playing that Muppets game for almost a week now, and I wanted to give a quick review.

My Muppets Show is probably not for everybody. But none the less I recommend giving it a try. I don't think it would hurt anybody, in terms of being too addicting, or time consuming. The real money currency is diamonds, but I honestly have not felt compelled to buy or spend any of them yet. None of the characters are premium. You can get them all without spending any money, if you have the patience.

If you want to blaze through the game, the diamond option is there, although personally I don't see why anyone would want to finish it quickly. There are currently only three levels released, with the third level released last weekend. In one week I've easily completed half of the second level, and all of the first.

The way it is similar to Simpsons Tapped Out, is that the characters generate money for you. You speed up their money generation by adding items and props that they like, and you level them up so that they can collect more money, by buying food and feeding them.

There is no town to build. Instead there are different levels or stages, such as the main muppet show stage, and the Swedish Chef's kitchen. Each stage has a mix of new characters, and characters from previous stages. It is a very musical game, and each stage has it's own musical score. Each character you unlock in the stage provides either a musical instrument or vocals. And when you add a new character to the stage, it's like adding a new musician to a jam session.

The biggest strength of the game is it's sound quality. The game calls it 3D sound, but technically it's a good use of faders a mixers, that vary depending on what you zoom in and out on. I recommend trying it out at least once with some nice headphones. Wherever you place your characters on the stage, is where you hear them through the speakers. So for example, if you place Gonzo on the right side of the room, and Kermit on the left, you can zoom in on Kermit singing, and it will sound like Gonzo is playing his trumpet in the far distance. And the animation is also well done. The character's movements work seamlessly with the music they are playing.

The music is catchy on the first level. I'm personally not that big on the second level music. I can imagine some people getting really annoyed by some of the musical components over and over again, particularly Fozzie Bear, and the chickens. But the good news is you can mute characters you don't want to hear. So if the sound gets stale, you can change it up, and let the song play to your satisfaction.

If you are interested in finding other games like The Simpsons Tapped Out, I strongly recommend giving My Muppets Show a try, if for no other reason than to see see different possibilities and potential for freemium gaming. This game proves that you don't need a well established town, or 150 characters like the Simpsons, in order to make a freemium game worth playing. All you need is a popular entertainment property from the last few decades, and a smart way to implement it.

I don't think this game is as good TSTO. My interest in it won't be around as long, but maybe that is a good thing. Someone else might have more of a nostalgic connection to the muppets, and might feel that it is the better game. The sound quality is definitely far superior. But besides TSTO, I can't name a freemium game that is better.

--

I wanted to reopen this discussion because last time it was active, a lot of people were doubtful they would be interested in another tapped out game, due to the Simpson's unparalleled amount of characters and recognizable town elements. But if you try the Muppets Game, then you'll know that it can be done without those things. I want to know what kinds of movie or TV properties you all would like to see as a freemium game, and how would you like to see it implemented.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.