EA Forums - Banner

OT : going to New York for the first time

Replies

• Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    mpwarner wrote:
    I'm looking to do 'America' next summer for about a month. Really want to visit a steak-house. Man v Food has made that a necessity in my list of things I want to do :twisted:

Reminds me of a scene from parks and recreation

swanson-food.jpg
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited August 2013
    mpwarner wrote:
    I'm looking to do 'America' next summer for about a month. Really want to visit a steak-house. Man v Food has made that a necessity in my list of things I want to do :twisted:

Reminds me of a scene from parks and recreation

swanson-food.jpg

i3kUJ.jpg

*** those two pics and my sig in a row look awesome!!!***
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    tumblr_md58mviRII1rnqfb0o1_500.png
  • Pixxxa
    429 posts
    edited August 2013
    OMG...My problem in any of those places would be having enough time to do the things on my list. To name a few...

NY city: MOMA, Museum of Natural history, galleries, historical theatre tours and various places for genealogy research.

DC: Smithsoneon and the Library of Congress... Not a family fun kinda trip, but I could fill two weeks there easily. Fortunately my hubby shares a desire to visit the Smithsonean.

Florida: It would be all about amusement parks!!! Again, lucky for me, my hubby shares my love of roller coasters etc.

P.S. Happy Canada Day!
    hQTaGbS.png
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    Pixxxa wrote:
    OMG...My problem in any of those places would be having enough time to do the things on my list. To name a few...

NY city: MOMA, Museum of Natural history, galleries, historical theatre tours and various places for genealogy research.

DC: Smithsoneon and the Library of Congress... Not a family fun kinda trip, but I could fill two weeks there easily. Fortunately my hubby shares a desire to visit the Smithsonean.

Florida: It would be all about amusement parks!!! Again, lucky for me, my hubby shares my love of roller coasters etc.

P.S. Happy Canada Day!
    hQTaGbS.png

Genealogy research, really? Tell me more!

I definitely would love to go to the smithsonian.
  • jtgroth
    368 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you go to Orlando you should go to Universal Studios for the Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard :)

http://eater.com/archives/2013/06/03/krusty-burger-moes-tavern-and-more-now-open-in-the-simpsons-theme-park.php
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    jtgroth wrote:
    Can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you go to Orlando you should go to Universal Studios for the Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard :)

http://eater.com/archives/2013/06/03/krusty-burger-moes-tavern-and-more-now-open-in-the-simpsons-theme-park.php

:shock: I am sold! Must...go... Florida...
  • chrisp530
    2611 posts
    edited August 2013
    West Village in manhattan. It's gorgeous. Just walking through there is amazing. Bakery's, little shops, restaurants, it has the best of everything.

Also, if you're in to history, and old buildings, things like that, Roosevelt Island is really cool.

As far as restaurants, there's too many to recommend. But I really like The Brahmin, and it's actually reasonable in price, unlike most restaurants. But if this is the only time you're going to get there, you really should treat yourself to a 4 star place like Nobu.

Just writing this makes me want to drive down there right now :)
  • paulzuk
    407 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    There is a sightseeing ferry that goes around the entire island, finishing where you started. It only takes about 3 hours to do the full circuit of Manhattan and is called the Circle Line. You'll get to see the entire island on the boat in a relatively short time and you can sit back and enjoy the view. Plus, it doesn't cost a fortune.

Also, the Museum of Natural History, especially if you have kids. The museum is huge and is very kid friendly. Some of the exhibits are awesome, I loved it as a kid growing up in New York.

Statue of Liberty is worth a visit too. Standing at the base of the statue makes you appreciate just how big it is. I recommend climbing to the top of her head, it's a little bit of an effort to climb the stairs, but worth it. Every time you will see her image afterwards, you'll always be reminded of actually standing in her head. :lol:

Most of all, don't act, walk, talk, dress, or smell like a tourist. :wink: Seriously though, some unscrupulous New Yorkers literally make their living off gullible tourists. Not trying to scare you, it's just a heads up. I had a great way to deal with an undesirable who would approach me begging or wanting to talk. I would simply act like I was deaf and pretend to do sign language. :wink: The beggar or whoever would be thrown by this and 99% of time would simply walk away to bother somebody else. Anyway, my little trick has been road tested and has proven itself time and again. :wink:

The best way to describe Manhattan is to think of it as the entire world is on that small island. You have every nationality, food, dress, you name it, it's in Manhattan. I envy you, I haven't been home for many years. Have a fantastic time.

EDIT:typo
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    chrisp530 wrote:
    West Village in manhattan. It's gorgeous. Just walking through there is amazing. Bakery's, little shops, restaurants, it has the best of everything.

Also, if you're in to history, and old buildings, things like that, Roosevelt Island is really cool.

As far as restaurants, there's too many to recommend. But I really like The Brahmin, and it's actually reasonable in price, unlike most restaurants. But if this is the only time you're going to get there, you really should treat yourself to a 4 star place like Nobu.

Just writing this makes me want to drive down there right now :)

Thanks for the tips chris. Having a local to point out sights is always a good thing. Omg! I can't wait!!! I'm so excited! New York City, here I come! :D
  • DahnnnY1
    653 posts
    edited August 2013
    been wantin to the city forever I envy you
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    paulzuk wrote:
    There is a sightseeing ferry that goes around the entire island, finishing where you started. It only takes about 3 hours to do the full circuit of Manhattan and is called the Circle Line. You'll get to see the entire island on the boat in a relatively short time and you can sit back and enjoy the view. Plus, it doesn't cost a fortune.

Also, the Museum of Natural History, especially if you have kids. The museum is huge and is very kid friendly. Some of the exhibits are awesome, I loved it as a kid growing up in New York.

Statue of Liberty is worth a visit too. Standing at the base of statue makes you appreciate just how big it is. I recommend climbing to the top of her head, it's a little bit of an effort to climb the stairs, but worth it. Every time you will see her image afterwards, you'll always be reminded of actually standing in her head. :lol:

Most of all, don't act, walk, talk, dress, or smell like a tourist. :wink: Seriously though, some unscrupulous New Yorkers literally make their living off gullible tourists. Not trying to scare you, it's just a heads up. I had a great way to deal with an undesirable who would approach me begging or wanting to talk. I would simply act like I was deaf and pretend to do sign language. :wink: The beggar or whoever would be thrown by this and 99% of time would simply walk away to bother somebody else. Anyway, my little trick has been road tested and has proven itself time again. :wink:

The best way to describe Manhattan is to think of it as the entire world is on that small island. You have every nationality, food, dress, you name it, it's in Manhattan. I envy you, I haven't been home for many years. Have a fantastic time.

Thanks so much! Didn't think of the circle line. Will definitely try that. Would love to see the natural history museum (I adore museums).

I always look like a tourist. I have no game. Lol! I'll try and be careful in the big apple.
  • jenniferbusc
    2392 posts Member
    edited August 2013
    Attention I read one thing about 🎃🎃🎃🎃 and stopped.if there's still 🎃🎃🎃🎃 around after Hostest closed.... I want now...
  • Maegnificent
    1863 posts
    edited August 2013
    Attention I read one thing about 🎃🎃🎃🎃 and stopped.if there's still 🎃🎃🎃🎃 around after Hostest closed.... I want now...

Is it truly gone now? So now I'll never get to taste one??! :cry::cry:
  • Pixxxa
    429 posts
    edited August 2013
    paulzuk wrote:

Statue of Liberty is worth a visit too. Standing at the base of the statue makes you appreciate just how big it is. I recommend climbing to the top of her head, it's a little bit of an effort to climb the stairs, but worth it. Every time you will see her image afterwards, you'll always be reminded of actually standing in her head. :lol:

Most of all, don't act, walk, talk, dress, or smell like a tourist. :wink: Seriously though, some unscrupulous New Yorkers literally make their living off gullible tourists. Not trying to scare you, it's just a heads up. I had a great way to deal with an undesirable who would approach me begging or wanting to talk. I would simply act like I was deaf and pretend to do sign language. :wink: The beggar or whoever would be thrown by this and 99% of time would simply walk away to bother somebody else. Anyway, my little trick has been road tested and has proven itself time and again. :wink:

EDIT:typo
    All great suggestions! I have to remember the sign language tip LMAO... Brilliant! Now if someone could come up with more suggestions about how not to look like a tourist when a love of architecture has you craning your neck around in all directions, and a sure tell that you're a tourist... :wink:
  • jenniferbusc
    2392 posts Member
    edited August 2013

Whaa :cry: yes!

Edit... Ill be taking ASL in September
  • adam7226
    255 posts
    edited August 2013
    I'm sorry if this has been said, but I didn't read through the whole thread...to lazy :D

But, if you go to Florida, I would reccomend trying to hit all the Disney Parks, not just Disney World. I went with my family and we enjoyed Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and the Hollywood themed one (sorry forgot the name), way more than Disney World.

Edit: just read the post above me, and 🎃🎃🎃🎃 are coming back!!!
    Source:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/🎃🎃🎃🎃-make-official-nationwide-return-shelves/storynew?id=19664290

• chrisp530
    2611 posts
    edited August 2013
    Good advice about the scammers, they're on every corner. Just don't try to buy a Rolex :)

Even more frightening then the scammers? Hipsters.

If you see someone wearing skinny jeans, and a winter hat even though its 90 degrees, RUN, and run fast. These people are so incredibly idiotic, boring, and depressing, they will suck the life from your essence. Stay away from Hipsters.

:D
  • Pixxxa
    429 posts
    edited August 2013

Evidently 🎃🎃🎃🎃 are not lost! Another company purchased the recipe/rights or whatever and 🎃🎃🎃🎃 will live on, and on, and on... I was driving while listening to the news, so I don't recall who it is, but they did say that 🎃🎃🎃🎃 will have an even longer shelf life LMAO
    Edit: See Adam's link above for news article... :wink:
  • adam7226
    255 posts
    edited August 2013
    Heres an example of the hipster you have to be afraid of :D
    homens-e1347382625816_zps1192d0e1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!