EA Forums - Banner

There may be hope after all (Community Prizes)

Replies

• edited October 2013
    Let me throw my cynical two-cents in here.
    Originally when I looked at the meter it was 1 billion per prize but as we approached that number after two days they changed the scale. The back end idea for this game is (besides having a lot of fun and a community) is for us to spend money on doughnuts. Doing this by by giving us a large group target will encourage us to get more graveyards and speed tasks. As of right now we don't know what the prize targets will be for the better prizes but it is in their interests to keep at least the largest one on track to get it near the final day. I think getting the lower prizes earlier will help and interest everyone. It looks like I will have to blow the dust off my wallet and get some more doughnuts soon because there are things that I want. The only large thing I have purchased before this was Lincoln' cabin.
    If the counter is accurate and there is no reason that it could not be since the game is tied to the servers constantly. It should jump when 6am reaches the eastern US, Japan, and Europe respectively.
  • worldpattern
    19 posts
    edited October 2013
    It's probably just an automated counter to make you think the community is contributing, but really they just have predetermined dates each of the prizes will be unlocked. I wouldn't worry about all of them unlocking by the end of the event, especially since it's 5 weeks long.
  • Zephkiel
    34 posts
    edited October 2013
    Airion wrote:
    When it's 3pm to 7pm "off-peak" your time, then it's still peak time somewhere else. That's the beauty of international gaming. It never sleeps.

This was already touched on. I wasn't implying that 3-7pm is my off-peak time (in fact, it's the opposite), just that the majority of users in this game will be concentrated within a certain time-zone range, constituting a noticeable on-peak/off-peak trend (even if that has 2-3 spikes).

Unless EA distributed their userbase equally around the world, there will be noticeably higher and lower periods of community activity at certain points during the day.

Apologies if this comes off as abrasive (I edited it to try and remove that); I mean absolutely nothing of the sort. I'm getting tired. >.<
  • simbass7
    1928 posts
    edited October 2013
    dill1785 wrote:
    we're currently on 1,264,400,000 goo... where's our first prize???

We need 5 billion for it. We can do this! We survived whacking day... so we can do this. It may take the majority of the event but we will get all the prizes :D

No comment... ....Mr popular ;)
  • acheeanthony
    516 posts
    edited October 2013
    Zephkiel wrote:
    Zephkiel wrote:
    What you are not taking in to account is the game is played globally, so on-peak hours happen constantly because it's always 3-7pm somewhere.

You misunderstand my point....

You're right on me missing your point (my bad) and the server thing as well (as I see it). You make some good points.

Mind you, it's all conjecture unless somebody actually sits down and records the GOO increase over a (or several) 24 hour period(s). My observations are purely anecdotal.

I have been observing it since the beginning and doing the calculation to see what this increments are at every 12 hours. 2 days ago we were roughly around 3500 per second yesterday (12pm Central) we were at 4500 per second, last night around midnight (Central) we were around 5000 per sec, and I just did it again (10 am Central) it is around 5600 per second.

What I am doing its using the iPhone camera to take enough pictures to end up with around 10 numbers. Getting the difference between each number and calculating the average of the numbers. Basic statistics work.
  • Zephkiel
    34 posts
    edited October 2013
    I have been observing it since the beginning and doing the calculation to see what this increments are at every 12 hours. 2 days ago we were roughly around 3500 per second yesterday (12pm Central) we were at 4500 per second, last night around midnight (Central) we were around 5000 per sec, and I just did it again (10 am Central) it is around 5600 per second.

What I am doing its using the iPhone camera to take enough pictures to end up with around 10 numbers. Getting the difference between each number and calculating the average of the numbers. Basic statistics work.

Anybody else notice the steady (approximate) 500/second increase every 12 hours?

Thanks for doing the research! We should have a pretty fair idea how automated the system is/n't within a few days.
  • edited October 2013
    as of 12pm CST the counter is running right about 1 million per 3 minutes.
    that would be about 2 days per billion points.
    so 7 more days until the first item. If it is going to be 5 billion per items we would need to have the count increase about 30% over the next 3 weeks to be assured to get all 5 items.
  • acheeanthony
    516 posts
    edited October 2013
    as of 12pm CST the counter is running right about 1 million per 3 minutes.
    that would be about 2 days per billion points.
    so 7 more days until the first item. If it is going to be 5 billion per items we would need to have the count increase about 30% over the next 3 weeks to be assured to get all 5 items.

If the rate increase i have observed continues at this rate we will have the 5 billion well before 7 days.
  • Mjr1124
    654 posts
    edited October 2013
    It's probably just an automated counter to make you think the community is contributing, but really they just have predetermined dates each of the prizes will be unlocked. I wouldn't worry about all of them unlocking by the end of the event, especially since it's 5 weeks long.

This.

Oh and if it is in fact determined by true community contributions, you need to take into account the dropoff that will happen when people start getting their 10k and stop putting as much effort into the event.
  • acheeanthony
    516 posts
    edited October 2013
    We hit the 1 billion mark yesterday around 5 pm Central time and a few hours away from 24 hours later and we are already at over 1.6 billion. If my calculations are correct we will hit 2 billion some time tonight or tomorrow morning. And 3 billion within around 24 hours from that.
  • rwvolture
    1260 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    Zephkiel wrote:
    Does anyone know if the first prize is just a skin for the Lard Lad donut shop? Cause if it is, thats a bit of a slap in the face to people that dont have it.

According to datamines it's a new building.

that's what I've been thinking. Everyone keeps saying it will be a skin like Heck House is but why can't it just be a separate building and not a skin
  • Mjr1124
    654 posts
    edited October 2013
    I hope that giant * ends up walking around town.
  • JoshJHunter
    437 posts
    edited October 2013
    i really only want the first 3... the toad thing looks ugly... and the building is too big to fit in with my SF....

i dont think it's likely we can do it, i asume they'll be worth donut after if we dont get em.
  • rwvolture
    1260 posts Member
    edited October 2013
    I really only care about Lard Lad and King Homer
  • acheeanthony
    516 posts
    edited October 2013

To add on to this: I just did the calculations to figure out the increments again and 5 hours after my last calculation we are now at around 5900 per second.
  • HomerSwapMeet
    726 posts
    edited October 2013
    dill1785 wrote:
    That is the question... Is the meter actually real? Very suspicious indeed!

You talking about being very suspicious?

big_rofl.gif
  • i_set_fire
    328 posts
    edited October 2013
    dill1785 wrote:
    That is the question... Is the meter actually real? Very suspicious indeed!

You talking about being very suspicious?

big_rofl.gif

+1!!!

On topic though, I think it is a preset counter and we have no influence on it. There should have been a much bigger jump in amount per second between right when the update went live and a couple days later. I am sure the vast majority of players didn't rush the gypsy building and the small jump in goo per second does not reflect this.
  • thetjgroves3
    23 posts
    edited October 2013
    I think it'll be pretty easy.... my prediction is that we finish them all exactly 6 days before the time runs out (;
  • madmofo145
    11 posts
    edited October 2013
    It could be that the counter is pseudo real. That the community is steadily increasing it's goo output as more people update and actually get started on the quest, but that the counter isn't counting individual goo, but instead is simply doing a check every hour or 5, figuring out the average goo collected per second and extrapolating that forward. The worry as stated is that if things are real we will eventually see a massive drop off as people finish their 10,000.

Looking at my friends I think it's a justified worry. Those who obviously hack have their 10,000 and have barely budged since the first day. Most active players seem to be between 2,500 and 4,500. They will likely hit 10,000 sometime after the first prize is unlocked, and maybe after the second, but it they lose momentum we are in trouble. Those who started late don't seem to be ramping up collection, so while more people are updating and starting the quest every day, they seem much less motivated. If the motivated community stops work after they hit the 10,000 goal we could see a huge crash in the rate of goo collected, and if we see any crash we are screwed.
  • TheOldKrul
    6 posts
    edited October 2013
    Hmmm. My global GOO counter is missing. It's empty. I'll restart the game.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!