EA Forums - Banner

Hanukkah Update

Replies

  • Pull_Up_A_Chair
    896 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    HCoinslot wrote:
    ecneralc wrote:
    Also if they're going to celebrate Hanukah, they will need to celebrate Boxing Day on December 26th. Which I think everyone would enjoy because to celebrate it they'd have to put donuts on sale. Boxing Day started off as parents who could afford to buy presents for their children would box up their children's old toys and give them to people who couldn't afford Christmas. Now it's celebrate with week long sales with everything up to 75% off.

    I know that we do it to a lesser extent and in a much less organized fashion, but

    WHY DO WE NOT CELEBRATE THIS IN THE US????

    You mean it's not a holiday centered around the glory that is modern day fisticuffs?
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    People are such whiners these days. Every little thing offends them. Next thing you know we'll have someone who wants to take the word Christmas out of the update and replace it with holiday.

    I've yet to meet a single atheist who gives a crap about changing Christmas into Holidays. That's a bunch O' Crap centered around a tiny faction of idiots who get a lot of press. Most of us are just happy to not have a JW or a Mormon knocking on our door while we try to squeeze in a nap.

    I know thousands of atheists and not one has ever mentioned that having someone say Merry Christmas is offensive.

    How do you know thousands of athiests? I don't think I know hundreds of people, let alone thousands of people who fall into a minority group. Sorry for the nitpicking!
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    People are such whiners these days. Every little thing offends them. Next thing you know we'll have someone who wants to take the word Christmas out of the update and replace it with holiday.

    I've yet to meet a single atheist who gives a crap about changing Christmas into Holidays. That's a bunch O' Crap centered around a tiny faction of idiots who get a lot of press. Most of us are just happy to not have a JW or a Mormon knocking on our door while we try to squeeze in a nap.

    I know thousands of atheists and not one has ever mentioned that having someone say Merry Christmas is offensive.

    Well i am Atheist or Agnostic or whatever you want to call it and i celebrate Xmas but for Santa Clause and the gift giving and stuff. Not because it is Jesus' birthday or any other religious reason.
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    HCoinslot wrote:
    ecneralc wrote:
    Also if they're going to celebrate Hanukah, they will need to celebrate Boxing Day on December 26th. Which I think everyone would enjoy because to celebrate it they'd have to put donuts on sale. Boxing Day started off as parents who could afford to buy presents for their children would box up their children's old toys and give them to people who couldn't afford Christmas. Now it's celebrate with week long sales with everything up to 75% off.

    I know that we do it to a lesser extent and in a much less organized fashion, but

    WHY DO WE NOT CELEBRATE THIS IN THE US????

    We've started to celebrate Black Friday in Canada. The stores were getting mad that we'd go down south during Black Friday to shop, so we now have it here, the sales aren't as good as the US Black Friday but still worth it.
  • Pull_Up_A_Chair
    896 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    HCoinslot wrote:
    People are such whiners these days. Every little thing offends them. Next thing you know we'll have someone who wants to take the word Christmas out of the update and replace it with holiday.

    I've yet to meet a single atheist who gives a crap about changing Christmas into Holidays. That's a bunch O' Crap centered around a tiny faction of idiots who get a lot of press. Most of us are just happy to not have a JW or a Mormon knocking on our door while we try to squeeze in a nap.

    I know thousands of atheists and not one has ever mentioned that having someone say Merry Christmas is offensive.

    How do you know thousands of athiests? I don't think I know hundreds of people, let alone thousands of people who fall into a minority group. Sorry for the nitpicking!

    I have a website dedicated to the topic of atheism. Thousands follow the site and believe me, this is a hot topic. I can't recall a single person saying they are offended by the use of the word Christmas in conjunction with a greeting. In fact, we are mostly perplexed by it even being an issue at all.
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    People are such whiners these days. Every little thing offends them. Next thing you know we'll have someone who wants to take the word Christmas out of the update and replace it with holiday.

    I've yet to meet a single atheist who gives a crap about changing Christmas into Holidays. That's a bunch O' Crap centered around a tiny faction of idiots who get a lot of press. Most of us are just happy to not have a JW or a Mormon knocking on our door while we try to squeeze in a nap.

    I know thousands of atheists and not one has ever mentioned that having someone say Merry Christmas is offensive.

    Well i am Atheist or Agnostic or whatever you want to call it and i celebrate Xmas but for Santa Clause and the gift giving and stuff. Not because it is Jesus' birthday or any other religious reason.

    I celebrate Christmas because: 1. I grew up celebrating it and 2. I love giving people presents and seeing their face light up when you got them the perfect gift. I don't believe in god or a higher power of any kind.

    @pullupachair lol no I was going to make a joke about how on Boxing Day everyone goes into the backyard and beats each other up besides not to
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    ecneralc wrote:
    HCoinslot wrote:
    ecneralc wrote:
    Also if they're going to celebrate Hanukah, they will need to celebrate Boxing Day on December 26th. Which I think everyone would enjoy because to celebrate it they'd have to put donuts on sale. Boxing Day started off as parents who could afford to buy presents for their children would box up their children's old toys and give them to people who couldn't afford Christmas. Now it's celebrate with week long sales with everything up to 75% off.

    I know that we do it to a lesser extent and in a much less organized fashion, but

    WHY DO WE NOT CELEBRATE THIS IN THE US????

    We've started to celebrate Black Friday in Canada. The stores were getting mad that we'd go down south during Black Friday to shop, so we now have it here, the sales aren't as good as the US Black Friday but still worth it.

    Forget the sales I'm talking about the regifting of old toys to those in need.

  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    HCoinslot wrote:
    ecneralc wrote:
    HCoinslot wrote:
    ecneralc wrote:
    Also if they're going to celebrate Hanukah, they will need to celebrate Boxing Day on December 26th. Which I think everyone would enjoy because to celebrate it they'd have to put donuts on sale. Boxing Day started off as parents who could afford to buy presents for their children would box up their children's old toys and give them to people who couldn't afford Christmas. Now it's celebrate with week long sales with everything up to 75% off.

    I know that we do it to a lesser extent and in a much less organized fashion, but

    WHY DO WE NOT CELEBRATE THIS IN THE US????

    We've started to celebrate Black Friday in Canada. The stores were getting mad that we'd go down south during Black Friday to shop, so we now have it here, the sales aren't as good as the US Black Friday but still worth it.

    Forget the sales I'm talking about the regifting of old toys to those in need.

    We have toy drives, and tons of places to drop gifts off. They have boxes set up in the malls so you can buy new toys and put them right in the box right away.
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited December 2013
    As usual, anyone making demands on others based solely on religious reason is to be ignored.

    If you don't like what the game has to offer? Quit playing.

    Also, the origins of Boxing Day in this thread is terribly incorrect.
  • swdonnelly84
    639 posts
    edited December 2013
    Why in the heck was there no Hanukkah update this year? Let alone last year!? I'm pretty sure you have more than Christians playing this game, no offense. I just don't understand why EA has to be so bias.

    So EA can charge us 50 donuts for a dreidel? Newsflash, they're not even fun!

    Krusty could also have a premium skin that features a Kippah. Cost- 150 donuts.
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    As usual, anyone making demands on others based solely on religious reason is to be ignored.

    If you don't like what the game has to offer? Quit playing.

    Also, the origins of Boxing Day in this thread is terribly incorrect.

    If you're going to say its incorrect then why don't you correct it. Also this is always what I've been taught Boxing Day was about. My parents always taught me Boxing Day was to give gifts to the less fortunate. We would give our olds toys or we'd save our allowances so we could get a toy to put into a toy drive.


    The exact etymology of the term "boxing day" is unclear. There are several competing theories, none of which is definitive.[5] The European tradition, which has long included giving money and other gifts to those who were needy and in service positions, has been dated to the Middle Ages, but the exact origin is unknown. It is believed to be in reference to the Alms Box placed in places of worship in order to collect donations to the poor. In ancient, pre-Christian Rome, Saturnalia was a Roman celebration during which slave owners would switch roles with their slaves. Gift giving was a part of Saturnalia and benevolence to slaves was a practice which may have influenced the later December tradition of boxing and presenting of gifts to people of lesser status.[citation needed] Also, it may come from a custom in the late Roman/early Christian era, wherein metal boxes placed outside churches were used to collect special offerings tied to the Feast of Saint Stephen,[6] which in the Western Church falls on the same day as Boxing Day.

    In Britain, it was a custom for tradesmen to collect "Christmas boxes" of money or presents on the first weekday after Christmas as thanks for good service throughout the year.[7] This is mentioned in Samuel Pepys' diary entry for 19 December 1663.[8] This custom is linked to an older English tradition: Since they would have to wait on their masters on Christmas Day, the servants of the wealthy were allowed the next day to visit their families. The employers would give each servant a box to take home containing gifts and bonuses, and sometimes leftover food
  • Pull_Up_A_Chair
    896 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    As usual, anyone making demands on others based solely on religious reason is to be ignored.

    If you don't like what the game has to offer? Quit playing.

    Also, the origins of Boxing Day in this thread is terribly incorrect.

    Really? Incorrect? It's different all over the globe. The origins are shrouded in mystery since it's believed that Boxing Day dates back before Medieval times. It was usually on the day after Christmas when the landed gentry would acknowledge their servants with gifts and a paid holiday. Today's versions are celebrated in the same manner but have variations in theme and practice.
  • adruralo
    3281 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    CBG would say, 'worst thread ever.'
    iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone XR (Red product)
  • Leilani2013
    238 posts
    edited December 2013
    Very impressive Ecneralc.

    You can wish me a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or whatever you would like. As long as it's said with kindness and good will no one should care. I actually had a woman at the doctor's office catch herself and qualify her Merry Christmas the other day. Really? Whether or not I celebrate shouldn't factor into your expression of what you celebrate.

    Now I'm off to decorate my Festivus pole and prepare for the airing of grievances. For those who don't know it, Festivus is the holiday for the rest of us.
  • swdonnelly84
    639 posts
    edited December 2013
    Very impressive Ecneralc.

    You can wish me a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or whatever you would like. As long as it's said with kindness and good will no one should care. I actually had a woman at the doctor's office catch herself and qualify her Merry Christmas the other day. Really? Whether or not I celebrate shouldn't factor into your expression of what you celebrate.

    Now I'm off to decorate my Festivus pole and prepare for the airing of grievances. For those who don't know it, Festivus is the holiday for the rest of us.

    That should actually read, very impressive wikipedia paste job.

    I liked it too though.
  • onefilmchic
    13 posts
    edited December 2013
    you would think people wouldn't want this game to mention a holiday they cherish lol


  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Very impressive Ecneralc.

    You can wish me a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, or whatever you would like. As long as it's said with kindness and good will no one should care. I actually had a woman at the doctor's office catch herself and qualify her Merry Christmas the other day. Really? Whether or not I celebrate shouldn't factor into your expression of what you celebrate.

    Now I'm off to decorate my Festivus pole and prepare for the airing of grievances. For those who don't know it, Festivus is the holiday for the rest of us.

    I agree if you celebrate a holiday and were to greet me with the usual greeting I would return the greeting. Most celebrations are about being thankful, bringing peace, and spreading love and joy, so why not practice those values and except everyone's beliefs. If we practiced these values more there wouldn't be so much hate in the world. The differences is what makes us humans so great.
    That should actually read, very impressive wikipedia paste job.

    I liked it too though.

    Copying and pasting is hard work :P. Only the bottom two are from wiki though felt I should get the "actual" origin since my version isn't good enough lol.
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    Doesn't matter my friend, I'm not jewish either, but I think it's ridiculous that other holidays are not recognized. especially for a game that makes so much money. At least do something for Krusty. Bring in the temple and the rabbi. Something! Then again, maybe we won't even get a holiday update this year, apparently the programmers are still sleeping from their tryptophan overdose.

    you do know this game is based on the Simpsons
    they cant just start adding stuff because they want to if it has not been on the simpsons before
    What are you talking about!? Not just adding stuff that's in the Simpsons? There are Jews in the Simpsons show, and I am pretty sure they had at least one episode where they had Hanukah in their 25+ seasons they were playing.
    Also they stopped mainly focusing on the main characters a while ago in the game. They can only squeeze out so much before they have to add new characters and new story lines. So as you can see adding any characters with any holiday, and any story line would work at this point.
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    Doesn't matter my friend, I'm not jewish either, but I think it's ridiculous that other holidays are not recognized. especially for a game that makes so much money. At least do something for Krusty. Bring in the temple and the rabbi. Something! Then again, maybe we won't even get a holiday update this year, apparently the programmers are still sleeping from their tryptophan overdose.

    you do know this game is based on the Simpsons
    they cant just start adding stuff because they want to if it has not been on the simpsons before
    What are you talking about!? Not just adding stuff that's in the Simpsons? There are Jews in the Simpsons show, and I am pretty sure they had at least one episode where they had Hanukah in their 25+ seasons they were playing.
    Also they stopped mainly focusing on the main characters a while ago in the game. They can only squeeze out so much before they have to add new characters and new story lines. So as you can see adding any characters with any holiday, and any story line would work at this point.

    I never said they should not have anything jewish in the game.
    I also said the could release krustys father for Hanuka or something but not have a whole Hanuka event.
    I don't remember a Hanuka episode of the Simpsons.
  • ApeMilkBuddha
    111 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    I'm not Jewish but I would actually prefer a Hanukkah update this year, it'd just be cool to mix things up a bit.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!