EA Forums - Banner

TSTO Christmas Keys to SUCCESS!

Prev13
Excellent work! Thanks very much for this :)

Replies

• frinktacular
    4 posts
    edited December 2013
    You are amazing!

Any guidance on etiquette collecting gift cards from others' towns? Does it hurt anyone if we visit friends and tap any card, or cards on a particular building?
  • direwolf987
    7450 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    OZ9Pxyd.jpg?1
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    You are amazing!

Any guidance on etiquette collecting gift cards from others' towns? Does it hurt anyone if we visit friends and tap any card, or cards on a particular building?

there appears to be no help or hindrance in this event other than if you drop gifts and they go behind a building (which you can't always control)
  • scjack33
    40 posts
    edited December 2013
    What happens after you collect all your prizes? Can you earn Donuts?
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    scjack33 wrote:
    What happens after you collect all your prizes? Can you earn Donuts?

If you look under Krusty's Wheel you shall find the answer you seek.

Really, no donuts though. Just for every 1000 gift cards you get another coin for the wheel
  • Phonedave
    65 posts
    edited December 2013
    You are amazing!

If you have no buildings to tap, it can be annoying when someone visits. If you have a bunch of buildings that have short cycles on them, like the brown house, it can help. They will be available for friends to tap shortly after you clear any handshakes. I put 9 or so brown houses next to my gift tree. I plan on using them later to make a lake/forest/camp area, but even if I had not, they are cheap enough to sell back after the event.

-dave
  • KillaSqirl
    1763 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Nice guide Brett, thanks a lot for this. Just a suggestion, it may be worthwhile to remind players that they have to tap the gift cards and collect before exiting friends towns. Gift cards and bags do not auto-collect like cash and xp. In my excitement last night I think I missed a bunch myself.
  • gmaddux04joe
    3 posts
    edited December 2013
    I have a quest to decorate houses with Christmas lights, but there's no indication on how to get that started. I can't seem to buy them anywhere and no character has offered to decorate. Any clues on how to light up houses? Thanks.
  • MaxZeus
    77 posts
    edited December 2013
    I have done some research around the GC's not being collected if you don't tap them. That is true and false at the same time.

If you don't collect them manually, your GC value will not increase until you return to your own home town.

I've done some tests to prove this out.

I've tapped 3 houses, left the GC's, then went to another neighbors town. My GC amount did not increase.

I've tapped 3 houses, left the GC's, then went to my town. I have 30 more GC now.

I've visited 4 friends towns in a row and tapped 12 houses, collected none of the GCs, visited a 5th town, my GC amount remained the same the whole way through. I then went back to my town and my GC amount increased by 120.

So they do auto collect. The problem is the number does not increase until you return to your home town.
  • HANKDERB024
    18 posts
    edited December 2013
    Is there any evidence of recieving donuts in friends SF?
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Is there any evidence of recieving donuts in friends SF?

There is none, I am sorry
  • angela12345j
    1 posts
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the guide!

I have a lot of presents that land behind my buildings. I figured out that I can see them by tapping on the four-sided arrow icon and then making the buildings see through.
  • amuck10
    506 posts
    edited December 2013
    I only have 9 of 10 houses decorated. What house am I missing or do I have to win a facade? I can't seem to buy lights for the new houses since last Xmas:(
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    amuck10 wrote:
    I only have 9 of 10 houses decorated. What house am I missing or do I have to win a facade? I can't seem to buy lights for the new houses since last Xmas:(

You have to win a facade from the wheel
  • 111111simpsons
    118 posts
    edited December 2013
    First off, thanks a million [game dollars, not donuts] for the thorough information, brettolmsted! There is one thing I'm wondering about. The Golden Coins seem to be one of the best items you can collect, since they give you a decent shot at premium items, so I'm wondering how to eke out a few more.
    Krusty's Non-Demoninational Holiday Giveaway Wheel
    To play this minigame you need golden coins that can either be bought or you can earn them. There are four ways to earn them: 1) 1 coin regenerates daily from the Egg Nog Bar, 2) you find them randomly by tapping gift cards/bags, 3) after the finish collecting all of your personal prizes you will get one for every 1,000 Gift Cards more you collect, and 4) you can purchase more with donuts.

So, for #2, I haven't seen that yet. Do you mean that if we allow our cards/bags to auto-collect or use the elves to collect them, we may lose out on coins? Has anyone seen a coin appear from either of these methods?

And has anyone else thought that the elves seemed to generate more items than expected based on the number of boxes/bags? Or is that maybe just an illusion because they're all opened at once, as opposed to manually tapping them?
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    First off, thanks a million [game dollars, not donuts] for the thorough information, brettolmsted! There is one thing I'm wondering about. The Golden Coins seem to be one of the best items you can collect, since they give you a decent shot at premium items, so I'm wondering how to eke out a few more.
    Krusty's Non-Demoninational Holiday Giveaway Wheel
    To play this minigame you need golden coins that can either be bought or you can earn them. There are four ways to earn them: 1) 1 coin regenerates daily from the Egg Nog Bar, 2) you find them randomly by tapping gift cards/bags, 3) after the finish collecting all of your personal prizes you will get one for every 1,000 Gift Cards more you collect, and 4) you can purchase more with donuts.

So, for #2, I haven't seen that yet. Do you mean that if we allow our cards/bags to auto-collect or use the elves to collect them, we may lose out on coins? Has anyone seen a coin appear from either of these methods?

And has anyone else thought that the elves seemed to generate more items than expected based on the number of boxes/bags? Or is that maybe just an illusion because they're all opened at once, as opposed to manually tapping them?

I can tell you that in the last 2 days of visiting 100 neighbors each day from 2 towns, I have found like 3 or 4 coins from tapping buildings/gift bags & presents. One was from an elf.
  • 111111simpsons
    118 posts
    edited December 2013
    I can tell you that in the last 2 days of visiting 100 neighbors each day from 2 towns, I have found like 3 or 4 coins from tapping buildings/gift bags & presents. One was from an elf.

Oh! So you're talking about in neighbors' towns, too? That's great, I'm going to try to do 100 per day, which is much more doable since they put in those "next/previous town" arrows down in the bottom left. (And also quicker once I realized that gift cards do auto-collect, you just don't see the numbers go up until you go "home".)

I only completed the Egg Nog Bar most of my way through my tour of other towns last night, and I'm pretty sure we can't get bonus coins (or any, really) until it is built, so maybe I'll see some tonight!
  • toby_gwz
    41 posts
    edited December 2013
    for the multiple springfielder events-
    if you REALLY want to maximize your gift cards, doesn't it make the most sense to do it this way?

if you need 11 people to do something,
    send ten people to do it, let them complete, and THEN send everyone through again including the people who already went through once?
  • brettolmsted
    1095 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    toby_gwz wrote:
    for the multiple springfielder events-
    if you REALLY want to maximize your gift cards, doesn't it make the most sense to do it this way?

if you need 11 people to do something,
    send ten people to do it, let them complete, and THEN send everyone through again including the people who already went through once?

While that is definitely true, most people do not want to wait another full 4, 8, 12 hour cycle and want to progress in the questline
  • ultimatechick
    236 posts
    edited December 2013
    I'm definitely getting a smidge ahead of myself here, since I'm only at ~8000 gift cards, but as regards getting an extra coin for every 1000 cards collected after you get all the personal prizes: I seem to remember that during Halloween, the bonus counter was glitchy and you had to return to your SF to keep the count accurate if you hit the magic number while visiting friends. Anyone know if this is still the case?

Also: yeeps, I'm so sorry for that first sentence.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.