EA Forums - Banner

Random friend requests.

Prev1
doesn't work, I still get random requests. A LOT of people come to the forum everyday looking for neighbors so they go through posts, see a name and send a request without reading signatures or posts

Replies

• rosesgirlnz
    4078 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    rwvolture wrote:
    doesn't work, I still get random requests. A LOT of people come to the forum everyday looking for neighbors so they go through posts, see a name and send a request without reading signatures or posts

Thanks for your reply, I figured it was probably something like that. I don't post often, but definitely read and lurk multiple times a day, and I guess I figure there's an etiquette that I myself have, and many on here also - but not all :)
  • rosesgirlnz
    4078 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Gosh that made me sound like a snob lol
  • wherron13
    45 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Nah, it's ok, we all knew what you meant.
  • zicoboo
    354 posts
    edited January 2014
    I wrote in my sig that I have enough friends and will not accept anymore, but I still got them. It's really annoying because when I have friend requests my game crashes, so I have to constantly delete them and I get at least 10 a day.

I took it out of my sig now because there was really no point, people just ignored it. I wish there was an option to turn off friend requests or something.
  • MissGrafin
    806 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    I get tonnes too, even though my list is full. When I have spaces, I change my signature, but I still get random requests. Unfortunately I have to delete them and it bogs things down.

But, if I have space, I might accept, but I generally keep an eye out for names I recognise from the forums thst afe TSTO related. Even then, I usually only accept regulars.
  • rosesgirlnz
    4078 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    zicoboo wrote:
    I wrote in my sig that I have enough friends and will not accept anymore, but I still got them. It's really annoying because when I have friend requests my game crashes, so I have to constantly delete them and I get at least 10 a day.

I took it out of my sig now because there was really no point, people just ignored it. I wish there was an option to turn off friend requests or something.

Thanks neighbour, I guess I won't bother to put it in my signature then. Mind you it took me so long to work out how to put the corn in my signature, I probably would've messed it up anyway :D

As one of my neighbours, I remember seeing that you were also in NZ and thinking it would be cool if we were neighbours, so I sent you a pm first. you wouldn't have known the reason for my request, or our kiwi connection, had I not pm'd you first and you probably would have just deleted my request otherwise I'm guessing?
  • darthraven0
    374 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    I get them a lot I just decline them unless it is a forum member I have talked to and recognize the name.
  • SmokedUpJoe
    58 posts
    edited January 2014
    I take it as I must have a cool name.

U must have a cool name too.

• zicoboo
    354 posts
    edited January 2014
    zicoboo wrote:

Thanks neighbour, I guess I won't bother to put it in my signature then. Mind you it took me so long to work out how to put the corn in my signature, I probably would've messed it up anyway :D

As one of my neighbours, I remember seeing that you were also in NZ and thinking it would be cool if we were neighbours, so I sent you a pm first. you wouldn't have known the reason for my request, or our kiwi connection, had I not pm'd you first and you probably would have just deleted my request otherwise I'm guessing?
    I wouldn't have deleted because I would have seen the 'nz' in your name and assumed you were another kiwi so I probably would have accepted anyway :D I always look at the name before deleting them, I have a few people adding me with words that relate to the band in my signature, so I always add people who it seems we have something in common. All the other randoms I just delete, if they really wanted to be neighbours they could have taken a minute to send me a PM -.-
  • indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited January 2014
    I don't want to sound rude, but then to me I find it rude that a person wouldn't check before sending a friend request (obviously it's different if it's from a friends needed thread).

I have never understood this opinion/feeling. I must be missing something, because I know there are many here who feel that way but I don't see what's "rude" about sending a friend request. If the recipient's list is full, or if they only want to have certain people as neighbors, they can just ignore or decline the request. Where's the harm in asking, what's so offensive or objectionable about it?

If anything, I take it as a compliment and it gives me a warm fuzzy when I get a friend request after I've posted here. :mrgreen:
  • brookesaywhatx
    729 posts
    edited January 2014
    I don't want to sound rude, but then to me I find it rude that a person wouldn't check before sending a friend request (obviously it's different if it's from a friends needed thread).

I have never understood this opinion/feeling. I must be missing something, because I know there are many here who feel that way but I don't see what's "rude" about sending a friend request. If the recipient's list is full, or if they only want to have certain people as neighbors, they can just ignore or decline the request. Where's the harm in asking, what's so offensive or objectionable about it?

If anything, I take it as a compliment and it gives me a warm fuzzy when I get a friend request after I've posted here. :mrgreen:

This!
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited January 2014

+1, friend requests are the simplest form of communication. It's literally an electronic first grade note, "do you want to be my friend check yes or no." I don't think most people would ever think to preface it any way. Even in a case like Zicoboo's, those people have no idea they are negatively effecting your game. I think most people who feel offended by it are just really nice, and they actually feel bad about having to decline people, whereas I have no heart.

That being said, I have never accepted anyone who didn't pm me first, nor anyone outside of an add-me thread.
  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited January 2014

it's not like they are trying to add your facebook or twitter so i don't see why they are going to PM you to see if they can add you or whatever, you can deny the requests quite easily in the game.

and frankly a post like this is just going to get people randomly adding you for s***s and giggles.
  • rwvolture
    1259 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    baddazoner wrote:
    and frankly a post like this is just going to get people randomly adding you for s***s and giggles.

maybe that was the idea 8) :lol:
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Try having your name at the start of the add-me thread, it gets nuts :roll: :lol:

But, it's all in good fun. Decline them, and move on. The new friends menu makes it pretty easy to decline a whole heap in a row. :)
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited January 2014
    mwdalton wrote:
    Try having your name at the start of the add-me thread, it gets nuts :roll: :lol:

But, it's all in good fun. Decline them, and move on. The new friends menu makes it pretty easy to decline a whole heap in a row. :)

I can imagine :roll:

I only get 2 or 3 a day. Not looking for new neighbours atm so they get ignored
  • Undaunted-001
    2295 posts
    edited January 2014
    I went months with out a friends request. But as soon as I added the bar in my sig. To say I was full iv been getting 5+

Are they misreading or being bumholes? :lol:

But it's not much of an issues for me as I don't accept random invites.

• mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    I went months with out a friends request. But as soon as I added the bar in my sig. To say I was full iv been getting 5+

Are they misreading or being bumholes? :lol:

But it's not much of an issues for me as I don't accept random invites.

Lol, probably being bumholes :lol:

Very pretty avatar you got yourself, there ;)
  • nubbin71
    236 posts
    edited January 2014
    I was guilty of adding random invites (and randomly asking those in the "add me" threads) in the beginning, as I was "desperate" to reap the benefits of having 100 friends, as soon as possible.

Nowadays I keep a tab on who of those 100 actually visit with any kind of regularity and as new requests come in, if I recognise the name (or if they pm me in advance, which only 3 have actually done so far), I remove a non-visiting random to replace them with the new neighbor...otherwise, I just politely decline and carry on about my business.

I think at this point in time, about half of my list is inactive. I don't mind keeping them there for the time being, as I am still able to visit their towns and collect money/xp and we currently aren't engaged in a community event. When a new event kicks in though, if they continue to remain inactive, I'll probably go actively "shopping" for replacements.
  • subii42
    2737 posts New member
    edited January 2014
    mwdalton wrote:

+1 at an event its gets proper nuts. I remember at xmas i had to clear out 60 and i was only off the game for a couple of hours.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.