EA Forums - Banner

before you buy a whale... a challenge

13Next

Replies

• HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited February 2014
    A post with the best of intentions gets all this vitriol? I always think if you have nothing positive to contribute them move on. When I first visited here I thought most people were far more considerate and open-minded than other forums - see EA's FIFA series forums where there is some world-class trolling and bullying. Sadly, it seems this forum is going the same way. A pity. :roll:
  • brookesaywhatx
    729 posts
    edited February 2014
    snyder712 wrote:
    big-hearted people don't get bent out of shape by a post like this - even if they don't feel motivated to do the same. A big person will always applaud another's efforts.

If this post makes you feel anxious, angry or uneasy, that's called a conscious telling you to imagine a bigger version of you. Enjoy your money in life... just don't think that's all there is to it.

This. 100% this.
  • annettemarc
    7734 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Many many players of this game are young people, highschool especially. Probably the majority. Those who post here may typically be older adults, but there are HUNDREDS of lurkers, based on topic"views".

MANY of them have already familiarized themselves with the concept of financial giving, and many of them have their own problems, and many of them are simply not interested, even if they can help. (Been there. Done that.) (Shrug.)

However, there are MANY of them to whom an idea like the OP's is an unfamiliar one.

Though it is by no means certain, a kid with a modern electronic device is more likely than not to have some expendable income. Something like this very literally may have never even occurred to them. This may be a fun idea for them. A spark, as it were. Frankly, though i care about everybody, i worry a lot less about those who would rather not see this post than i worry for those who may be helped by it.

Just sayin' :)
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • Distracty
    306 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    You are belittling people for there own choices.
    And my conscious is 100% clear as I do a tonne for my local community (as listed above)

I just don't like obnoxious people who feel they have a right to tell me what to do with my hard earned money.
    And come back to me once you do even half of the things I do for my local community.

um...yeah... because he was attacking YOU PERSONALLY. I read it myself....He said, "if only that Australian guy would get off his lazy duff and do some good for his community. Why won't DarkSamus think of someone other than himself?!? Won't DarkSamus PLEASE think off the children?!?!?"

Get over yourself, dude. Not every post is about you. Doing good for your community? Great! Encourage others to do the same. Otherwise, shut your trap. Because right now, YOU are the one attacking a charitable person!
  • MrJuanMata
    5344 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    A post with the best of intentions gets all this vitriol? I always think if you have nothing positive to contribute them move on. When I first visited here I thought most people were far more considerate and open-minded than other forums - see EA's FIFA series forums where there is some world-class trolling and bullying. Sadly, it seems this forum is going the same way. A pity. :roll:
    I agree 100% I was on the FIFA Ultimate team forum a few months ago and almost every post was a troll/trying to be funny. That's why I normally stick to the OT section on here where almost everyone over there is cool. :roll:
  • duckula78
    20 posts
    edited February 2014
    The problem here is that this is not the right place. This subforum is "Game discussion". There is another subforum called "Off topic discussion" where he can post everything he wants.
    The only troll here is the OP.
  • barryriddl474
    4819 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    in_before_the_lock_4.jpg
  • fluffling
    516 posts
    edited February 2014
    I think it's quite a nice idea but perhaps a bit extreme, everyone goes through their own sad things-not as sad as these children, possibly-but still.
    Also not all of the charity money goes to the people in need
  • indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited February 2014
    [gingerly steps into the fray]

IMO (and that's all it is, my personal opinion) posts like that of the OP can be annoying because even the most sensitive, giving and caring person knows there will always be more suffering in the world than he or she can possibly do anything about. This is why I hate seeing those doggy death camp ads with the Sarah McLachlan soundtrack: I've only ever gotten shelter pets, but I can't save them all so all the ads do is bum me out.

With respect to the OP, people who DO care and WANT to give are already doing it, they don't need anyone to tell them to do it. And those who care and want to give but can't do it becaue they're in dire straits of their own can only be made to feel guilty and more helpless by such a post. Those who *could* be charitable but choose not to aren't going to suddenly start based on something like the OP.

Long post short: the majority of people will only be irritated by that kind of post, for various reasons.

[slowly backs out of the thread]
  • jenichu682
    324 posts
    edited February 2014
    [gingerly steps into the fray]

IMO (and that's all it is, my personal opinion) posts like that of the OP can be annoying because even the most sensitive, giving and caring person knows there will always be more suffering in the world than he or she can possibly do anything about. This is why I hate seeing those doggy death camp ads with the Sarah McLachlan soundtrack: I've only ever gotten shelter pets, but I can't save them all so all the ads do is bum me out.

With respect to the OP, people who DO care and WANT to give are already doing it, they don't need anyone to tell them to do it. And those who care and want to give but can't do it becaue they're in dire straits of their own can only be made to feel guilty and more helpless by such a post. Those who *could* be charitable but choose not to aren't going to suddenly start based on something like the OP.

Long post short: the majority of people will only be irritated by that kind of post, for various reasons.

[slowly backs out of the thread]

Why bring reason into this thread (or the forum in general)? Shame on you, indieauthorALH. ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!