EA Forums - Banner

Will an Android Factory Reset clear my game progress?

If you clear your SD card your game will be there still

If you factory reset your data your game will be there still

I have done this, its server saved.

However when I updated to new version of tapped out I lost my data so I stuck with iPad now

Replies

• brenner_yes
    1156 posts
    edited March 2013
    I have never played on an andriod device but is the game not saved on the actual devive? So if you reset the phone to factory settings you loose all your apps which means you lose your tapped out account, or thats what i would think?
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I was under the impression Android users didn't have access to the servers yet.

"Notes:
    – You must have an Internet connection to play, so please make sure your device is connected.
    – Android does not currently enable players to visit their friends’ Springfields.
    – Game saves are not supported across multiple devices (each device will have its own save file)."

Edit: just to clarify, any data on an SD card would remain in tact if you were just wiping the device.
  • LeoKanes
    46 posts Member
    edited March 2013
    I'm in the same boat. My phone my have to be replaced and I'm wondering if I'll lose everything and if I'll get refunded for donuts I've bought.
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited March 2013
    Can you not just save a back up of the game file to your computer then put it back on your new phone?
  • shhaight
    5 posts
    edited March 2013
    I see that "Game saves are not supported across multiple devices (each device will have its own save file)" but is this just for the servers to track your game information? Since we do not have Origin login?

Either the game data is saved on 1) server (and the device ID tells the server which phone is which) 2) the SD card or 3) the phone itself

I think that if its 1 or 2 then the data should be fine and I can go ahead and wipe my phone.

Does anyone have an extra Android device that they can test?
  • shhaight
    5 posts
    edited March 2013
    SimonLYW wrote:
    Can you not just save a back up of the game file to your computer then put it back on your new phone?

I am not sure which file(s) I need to back-up though. Do you have a list of the necessary files?
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited March 2013
    shhaight wrote:
    I see that "Game saves are not supported across multiple devices (each device will have its own save file)" but is this just for the servers to track your game information? Since we do not have Origin login?

Either the game data is saved on 1) server (and the device ID tells the server which phone is which) 2) the SD card or 3) the phone itself

I think that if its 1 or 2 then the data should be fine and I can go ahead and wipe my phone.

Does anyone have an extra Android device that they can test?

I've never tried on Android before, but from what I've gathered from my general knowledge of Android and the "hacks" people with Android phones are able to achieve, the game saves to the device, or if an SD card is available, the SD card if you tell the phone to do so.

Would be great if someone with an Android device could confirm this though.

Unfortunately I don't, I'm guessing it'd be somewhere like files/apps/thesimpsonstappedout then you'd just copy everything in there. I'll look into it for you.
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited March 2013
  • shhaight
    5 posts
    edited March 2013
    SimonLYW wrote:

Thanks! There are many conflicting reports it seems:

"I backup using titanium. Pull the three files out and dump into my tab. Restore and all my info was there. including donuts i had.."

vs:

"I tried to backup using titanium, buy mystery boxes and if they were bad restore the backup.
    Sadly, this didn't work and I'm left with a couple of trees

Pretty sure that means it does actually sync data to servers about money and donuts"

I am thinking that the servers do keep the saved file. I am probably going to create a backup anyways. I will wait a day or two to see if anyone else on this board has actually gone through with a reset before I take the leap of faith.
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited March 2013
    Good call, sorry I couldn't be more help.

With, "I tried to backup using titanium, buy mystery boxes and if they were bad restore the backup.

Pretty sure that means it does actually sync data to servers about money and donuts"

I think the poster meant he wanted to buy a box with donuts, see what he got and then revert to a previous back up to get his donuts back if the mystery box was bad, but what he found was that the game data like items/buildings stayed the same, while money/donuts synced with EA's servers.
  • shhaight
    5 posts
    edited March 2013
    SimonLYW wrote:
    Good call, sorry I couldn't be more help.

With, "I tried to backup using titanium, buy mystery boxes and if they were bad restore the backup.

I think the poster meant he wanted to buy a box with donuts, see what he got and then revert to a previous back up to get his donuts back if the mystery box was bad, but what he found was that the game data like items/buildings stayed the same, while money/donuts synced with EA's servers.

Yea good point. I guess that would be a good way to try and cheat the infamous mystery box haha. Looks like I am probably in the clear. I will try a back-up anyways. Wish me luck guys. See you on the other side ...
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited March 2013
    Good luck friend, I hope all works out okay :D
  • shhaight
    5 posts
    edited March 2013
    Good news everyone!

I just did a factory reset of my phone (and crossed my fingers the entire time). I also did a "Cabon" backup of all my apps.

When I restored all my apps using the Carbon app, my city was still intact! AWESOME.

Thanks for all your help guys!
  • SimonLYW
    164 posts
    edited March 2013
    Yay! Glad it worked out :D
  • wixtab
    14 posts
    edited February 2014
    Sorry I know it is a very old topic, but I was wondering since android went online is it safe to hard reset the phone without backing up data? I really do not want to loose all my progress.
  • indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited February 2014
    There's no need to do any backup at all if you're logging in to play the game. I'm surprised folks don't already know this, since there have been lots of threads about forcing updates by uninstalling and re-installing the game. :-)

Your game progress is saved on EA's servers so long as you're not playing 'Anonymously'. Just log out, do your hard reset; when you're ready, go to your preferred app store to re-download and install the app, start it up and login as usual. Presto! Your Springfield, exactly as you left it!

(I know this works because I've done it more than once on various Kindle Fire models---they're Android devices---for testing purposes, and also because I have a friend with an iPhone who's done the same thing more than once)

**Edited to add: Note that I'm only talking about Tapped Out here, different apps store their data in different places and some DO have to be backed up to preserve game progress
  • wixtab
    14 posts
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for the answer. I knew that data would not be lost but I just wanted reassurance before I do factory reset on mu phone. Thanks for that :)
  • jasonicus321
    1811 posts New member
    edited February 2014
    I did a factory reset once and it cleared all of my friends games as well as mine. It took me 5 years to get that far.
    It's dangerous.

:lol:
  • wixtab
    14 posts
    edited February 2014
    I only care about simpsons game, because everything else is backed up.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!